• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Hack of the Year] Results - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hack of the Year 2013 Results

Introduction

So, I guess this is one those better late than never stories, haha. Over the past few months, there was a lot changes and some struggles going on behind the scenes in Emulation that made it tough to get everything organized. So, I am glad (and very thankful) that no one was beating down our pm boxes wondering what was taking so long.:P After playing through each hack, here we are with the final decisions of the year.

-Please note that this thread is for posting congratulations only. Do not complain that your favourite hack didn't win, or be rude towards others in your posts.

Drum roll please.....

Results:

The judges for 2013's Hack of the Year were Spherical Ice, doesntknowhowtoplay, DrFuji, and myself. It was quite obvious we all have different opinions on hacks, which provided for a pretty good variety in the judging. Here is a breakdown of how it all panned out along with each judge's score for the hacks:

xxhLhzJ.png
xhgv66f.png
W8AZ0zK.png

attachment.php

We also have a first, may I present: Slideshow Showcase's Hack of the Year!

jSWTeEC.png

Now, we have a breakdown for each category that was voted for:

Most Votes

piibPVT.png
Nih0nJE.png
AWvrMVZ.png

Most Engaging

u50tNTU.png
df42eBP.png

Best Scripting

ECCf0iS.png
2rP41IH.png
cJYjGM7.png
7ep6FKk.png

Best Storyline

x7QAZPD.png
aZ7jRSg.png

Best Mapping

UuWqz4z.png
fPfPEFk.png
ifNC6fp.png
c22gOqX.png

Best Graphics

XhVXAEn.png

Best Gameplay

iNDYHgp.png
jWjs6oC.png

Fan Favourite

kcUkT11.png

And a big thanks goes to.....
Spherical Ice and DrFuji really kept this year's HotY together, even through some tough times, so please give them both a warm thank you. Spherical Ice also drew up all of the awards and was very helpful throughout!​

Final Thoughts:

Thank you to everyone here who made this competition possible. Remember that we can't have a hack of the year without any new hacks, so keep on mapping, scripting, coding, and most importantly, having fun! As we go throughout this new year, don't be afraid to try something new and... boldly go where no man has gone before? Yeah, that sounds about right.:) Remember to congratulate the winners and keep on delving deeper into the art of rom hacking. We hope to see you all back here next time! Good luck everyone.

~karatekid552

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Bangladeshi

I sell cookies
Years
I Badly Wanted Glazed or Adventures to win! :/
Anyways Congratulations To Linkandzelda For LC!
Well done,Redriders and Rockman :D!Best Of the luck Next Time!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I did play Liquid Crystal before, but never got the chance to try Glazed or Adventure Red. I will, though, at some point in future. :] Congrats to those who've won; you have all deserved it!

Years
Red Adventures was worked on very hard the whole year and became 1 of the top current ACTIVE hacks

Glazed gets near 80 views in its thread every time i visit there, most people voted for it or Red Adventures to win and Glazed had updates too

Liquid Crystal barely had any updates in 2013 most where small bug fixes and the hack should get a HOTY like years ago this time a new hack should get the spotlight if you know what i mean :D

Like a guy said in the nominations thread the HOTY is a joke

Just my opinion no offence to LaZ or his hack

Yuuki_Asura

Rom Hack Lover as of 2009... XD
Years
Well, at Least Two of My Favorite hacks Made it
Glazed & Adventure Red These two well Deserved Hack of the Year 2013
Both are The Best Played Last 2013 so That Cool :)

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2016
glazed and adventure red r the most active hacks of year 2013.anyway congrats to creator of liquid crystal but still.

Years
All three hacks are pretty impressive, and are enjoyable to play.
My favorite was glazed, because of it's engaging story etc.
But that the Second generation of all Pokemon, get this year the award is... I like that really much =)
Funny how Glazed took almost every possible award and still ended up second =D

Congrats to LaZ and LC!

Like you said 😂 and I you take it the other way around, LC doesn't get any awards or second places, and won this year. :)

Congrats to all the three "winners"

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Well, congratulations to all, even though i hoped Glazed. I'm gonna play all 3 of them now and see the awesomness of Liquid Crystal myself.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Congrats! I really actually wanted to vote for Glazed but I didn't vote for any of 'em. But I can't believe Glazed still came out as second ^^

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
Wow.. Glazed and LC was really close! if only Doesn't judged better. JK! That "1" point score on glazed gameplay.
Anyway, congrats to the winners!

there should be Tool of the year next time

Years
there should be Tool of the year next time
This actually raises an interesting point. We shouldn't just be focusing on the hackers, particularly as most tend to use others' work (not that there's anything wrong with that). I think next year we should give recognition to the "behind the scenes" guys for want of a better word. Maybe something like "Best Tool", "Best Researcher" or something?

I mean there's always the possibility of that devolving into a popularity contest and I don't know how measurable that would be, but it's an interesting idea at the very least.

In any case, congrats to the winners! That judging looks really good I want to meet the judges and also the award creator and maybe sleep with them lmoa

Years
I actually didnt pay attention to the votes yesterday i just saw all the votes i think only karatekid had a clue on what his doing doesntknowhowtoplay gave a 1 on Glazes gameplay and 2 to reds story (a hack which story's is based on the manga) xD

Well looking by the awards glazed and red won the most and fans voted them the most xD

Id suggest keep karatekid and replace the 3 other judges for the 2014 hoty like add 3 judges who actually know something about Hacks

Thank You

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Id suggest keep karatekid and replace the 3 other judges for the 2014 hoty like add 3 judges who actually know something about Hacks

Thank You
They do.

I see nothing wrong with the "judgements" myself. doesnt is nothing but honest there. really.
Giving that low ratings is kinda harsh, that is true. However, there are LOTS of things that can be improved with these projects; all of them. And I agree with the fact that none of them are close to being "perfect" and getting the rating of 40/40. No hack is.

If you think about it, the scale between rating something is from 1 to 10. That means that getting 5 means that there already has to be some eye-catching content there and getting high ratings (like 8 or 9) means that you must have done outstanding job. And no pokemon hack out there is that outstanding. Writing a few neat scripts from scratch and possibly knowing how to make them run when a map is entered or something won't make your hack anything insane (that would be required to get high ratings). That doesn't mean that it couldn't be fun to play though.

I do agree with all the other judges as well since giving low ratings makes others think, "Who are you to judge?" and things like that. If I was a judge, I wouldn't have been as negative as doesnt either, but I do think that I wouldn't have given any of them ratings higher than 25/40. Well maybe LC but I don't know about that either.

Years
You should play all 3 hacks at their latest versions... they are not perfect but they are good even better than the official gen 1-3 games xD

A 5 out of 10 aint harsh but when you give 1-2 out of 10 then you are only asking for negative reactions
I mean look at his name he doesntknowhowtoplay and in his details he put "some loser"
How should i take that person seriously xD

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
They do.

I see nothing wrong with the "judgements" myself. doesnt is nothing but honest there. really.
Giving that low ratings is kinda harsh, that is true. However, there are LOTS of things that can be improved with these projects; all of them. And I agree with the fact that none of them are close to being "perfect" and getting the rating of 40/40. No hack is.

If you think about it, the scale between rating something is from 1 to 10. That means that getting 5 means that there already has to be some eye-catching content there and getting high ratings (like 8 or 9) means that you must have done outstanding job. And no pokemon hack out there is that outstanding. Writing a few neat scripts from scratch and possibly knowing how to make them run when a map is entered or something won't make your hack anything insane (that would be required to get high ratings). That doesn't mean that it couldn't be fun to play though.

I do agree with all the other judges as well since giving low ratings makes others think, "Who are you to judge?" and things like that. If I was a judge, I wouldn't have been as negative as doesnt either, but I do think that I wouldn't have given any of them ratings higher than 25/40. Well maybe LC but I don't know about that either.

Before this breaks out into an argument, I did notice that my scores are very different. That is because I rated the hacks by taking away points, not giving them. When I saw a lacking of something or I was unsatisfied, I would decrease my score. I am very sure that everyone has a different method. As long as the method is consistent, that is all that matters.

Code:
Let's break down these scores based upon score/40:

Sperical Ice
0.725 - G
0.7 - LC
0.5 - AR

Me
0.825 - G
0.8 - LC
0.725 - AR

doesntknowhowtoplay
0.375 - G
0.475 - LC
0.3 - AR

DrFuji
0.65 - G
0.7 - LC
0.525 - AR

By looking at these numbers, we also see that everyone has a threshold 
they won't leave. The largest gap is only .225 with most gaps being less 
than .2. This means that everyone's method was consistent.

Just looking at this % wise, here are the winners for each person:

Sperical Ice
G
LC
AR

Me
G
LC
AR

doesntknowhowtoplay
LC
G
AR

DrFuji
LC
G
AR

As you can see, 2 of use rated Glazed to be 1st and 2 rated LC to be 
first. When factored in with the overall decision that the community 
gave us:

LC
AR
G

We can see that LC is on top. Now, if we did deeper into the math and 
average the %s, we get:

G: (0.725+0.825+0.375+0.65)/4 = 0.644
LC: (0.7+0.8+0.475+0.7)/4 = 0.669
AR: (0.5+0.725+0.3+0.525)/4 = 0.513
As you can see from the average of the percents, it still works out the same as when we simply counted up the scores. I know this last math doesn't include the fan favourite, but that still doesn't have enough leverage to change decision even if it was factored in. If the fans had rated Glazed #1, then yes, it could have changed it, but that didn't happen.

The lesson here is that the size of the score doesn't matter, it is what the score is in relation to the other scores that that judge gave that does matter. Every single person did not deviate by more than 25% between their highest and lowest scored hacks. This shows a very balanced opinion.

Also, by giving a low score, you get a little mad, right? Well, being mad is the first step to getting things done. People have made me angry beyond belief before and all it does is drive me to become better. G3HS is a great example of a project I started because I was mad at several different things. If we all gave perfect scores, people would feel that there is no room for improvement.

The point of this was to settle any and all arguments over the judge's method of scoring. If you want to discuss my views on this, pm me. I will not respond to this conversation on here and I will delete any responses personally. This is a warning since this thread is about congratulating the hackers, NOT complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back