• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What do you want to see in the Game Development section?

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Yes, and I have made a new RMXP Development Community, so hopefully we can get new users to like game deeloping more. As RMVX ACE takes over, I also do think that the RMXP price should lower. RMXP is getting mauled by the future generations.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
As you may have noticed, there have been changes. Most sections have been renamed, and the Tutorials & Resources has been split into two. That's step one.

Step two is moving threads around to where they should be (which will take some time!), and making sure we have all the thread prefixes we want in each section. That's where you guys come in.

Here's a basic list of thread prefixes I knocked up:

Game Development
  • -----
Games Showcase
  • GameMaker
  • RM2K/3
  • RMXP
  • Sphere
  • Unity
  • Other
Progressing Games
  • GameMaker
  • RM2K/3
  • RMXP
  • Sphere
  • Unity
  • Other
  • Idea
Resources
  • Graphics
  • Music
Scripts & Tutorials
  • Script
  • Tutorial
  • Program
  • Engine
Pokémon Essentials
  • Question
  • Discussion
  • Add-ons
  • Misc.
  • Release
  • Archive

Feel free to copy-paste that list, and add/remove whichever thread prefixes you want. You're the ones who use the forum and make the threads, so you should be able to have a say in this.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
What this forum needs is a community, at least thats what I'm thinking. Even if there are quite a few developer, scripter, ressource builder, etc. one very important thing they need is feedback. PC has a very big community and it seems at least, that there are quite a bit of users watching these threads but it seems they aren't very interested in giving feedback, asking questions and stuff.
It's kinda sad, but expected, since PC is a Community build around a commercial game francise and the corresponding TV series, spin offs, etc. Most users are just interested in this things. At least I don't think anybody would get an account only because he's interested in the game develop section.
Another problem this subforum has is it's position. I mean you have to scroll nearly at the bottom of the main page to even see, that there is a forum which spezialices in game development.

I don't think changing the layout will make it more popular (well at least it won't make it less popular too). What this section really needs is an active community of his own and also some advertisement, a game jam sounds nice too.

As for the sections:
game development: prefixes for diskussions, events
games showcase/progressing games: prefixes for RMVX/RMVX Ace, finished games or demos (if there is anything playable)

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
What this forum needs is a community, at least thats what I'm thinking. Even if there are quite a few developer, scripter, ressource builder, etc. one very important thing they need is feedback. PC has a very big community and it seems at least, that there are quite a bit of users watching these threads but it seems they aren't very interested in giving feedback, asking questions and stuff.
It's kinda sad, but expected, since PC is a Community build around a commercial game francise and the corresponding TV series, spin offs, etc. Most users are just interested in this things. At least I don't think anybody would get an account only because he's interested in the game develop section.
Another problem this subforum has is it's position. I mean you have to scroll nearly at the bottom of the main page to even see, that there is a forum which spezialices in game development.

I don't think changing the layout will make it more popular (well at least it won't make it less popular too). What this section really needs is an active community of his own and also some advertisement, a game jam sounds nice too.

I agree with anything you said. The support Essentials gets from the community here is horrible.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I watched the recent Mojam, where Mojang (of Minecraft fame) and a few others made games over the period of a few days. It was fun to watch, and gave an insight into how professionals would go about making a game from scratch.

Obviously we couldn't go for anything quite so ambitious as making something from scratch, but we've got various software like RMXP and GameMaker to help, plus the contents of the Interweb to use as resources, so I think it wouldn't be too far-fetched to expect some people to make small games in a week. It's worth considering.

I've had another think about the thread prefixes, and here's my new list:

Game Development
  • [Discussion]
  • [Question]
  • [Event]
  • [GDM]
Games Showcase
  • [Demo]
  • [Completed]
Progressing Games
  • [Idea]
  • [Demo]
  • [Completed]
Resources
  • [RBY/GSC graphics]
  • [RSE graphics]
  • [FRLG graphics]
  • [DPPt/HGSS graphics]
  • [BW/B2W2 graphics]
  • [Graphics]
  • [Music]

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Obviously we couldn't go for anything quite so ambitious as making something from scratch, but we've got various software like RMXP and GameMaker to help, plus the contents of the Interweb to use as resources, so I think it wouldn't be too far-fetched to expect some people to make small games in a week. It's worth considering.

Hmm to be honest one week sounds unrealistic but challenging. Maybe you should consider making an open source example game? You would have full control over it but people should be able to provide resources, maps and ideas (not all being accepted of course) so they can feel like being a part of a team. A dead line is important as well.

The prefixes are fine. It will be helpful to organize stuff. Don't know if it will help to raise the popularity of Essentials thought. There are other/better ways...

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I got an excelent idea of what should be here.

-How to BE a game developer
-How to get people to want to join a game developing team, it's a lot easier in the ROM Hack team development.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I've always been a bit iffy about having two separate game sections, especially when the suggested tag list includes "demo" and "complete" in both categories. If that's the case, why not have them all in the same section? I know your argument was to prevent larger projects from overshadowing smaller ones, Maruno, but I would wager that same dichotomy exists in both current sections anyway. It seems a bit counterproductive to have that same dichotomy existing twice over, where the only difference between the two essentially amounts to how much work has been put into them.

Thus, I propose the following forum division:

GAME DEVELOPMENT

• [Discussion] (For discussion of ideologies, principles, conventions, etc. that is not specific to Essentials)
    • [Question] (For general help regarding game development that is not specific to Essentials)
    • [Event] (For competitions, etc. held by the GD staff)
    • [GDM] (Perhaps a more informative tag for this one; "Article", maybe?)

• Game Projects
    • [Idea] (For projects that are not yet in production)
    • [In progress] (For projects that are actually in production, as proven by screenshots, but don't yet have a demo)
    • [Demo] (For projects that are in production and have a demo released)
    • [Completed] (For projects that have completed production and have a full release)

• Resources
    • [RBY/GSC graphics]
    • [RSE/FRLG graphics] (I see no reason to differentiate between these; the stylistic difference is minimal)
    • [DPPt/HGSS graphics]
    • [BW/B2W2 graphics] (However, there is much stylistic difference between 4th and 5th gen)
    • [Graphics]
    • [Music]

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Game Development
  • [Discussion]
  • [Question]
  • [Event]
  • [GDM]
Games Showcase
  • [Demo]
  • [Completed]
Progressing Games
  • [Idea]
  • [Demo]
  • [Completed]
Resources
  • [RBY/GSC graphics]
  • [RSE graphics]
  • [FRLG graphics]
  • [DPPt/HGSS graphics]
  • [BW/B2W2 graphics]
  • [Graphics]
  • [Music]

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Very Good! Is possible to make, for the Game Showcase and Processing Games to allow an user to change the name of his own thread without talking to a mod?

I agree with these jim42 suggestions:

[GDM] (Perhaps a more informative tag for this one; "Article", maybe?)
[In progress] (For projects that are actually in production, as proven by screenshots, but don't yet have a demo)
[RSE/FRLG graphics] (I see no reason to differentiate between these; the stylistic difference is minimal)

There is actually a HUGE difference between graphic styles from R/S/E and FR/LG
most of which being the overworlds.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
How about putting in Resources requests thread links for frequent asked resources? I seen repeated requests over and over. I can point some links.

There is actually a HUGE difference between graphic styles from R/S/E and FR/LG
most of which being the overworlds.
If there is a HUGE difference between RSE and FrLg graphic styles, between RSE and DPP there's a MASSIVE difference, and between GSC and RSE a TITANIC difference.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I dont think the sub forum scripts and tutorials should show in the board topic list when i go into game development

Last edited by a moderator:

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
How about putting in Resources requests thread links for frequent asked resources? I seen repeated requests over and over. I can point some links.

If there is a HUGE difference between RSE and FrLg graphic styles, between RSE and DPP there's a MASSIVE difference, and between GSC and RSE a TITANIC difference.

Well, yeah. There is.

Alot of difference between them all.

Back