• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Just adding my 20 cents to the topic, I'm planning on just playing the NPCs of my PMD RP since I think of the role-play as a minigame or something like the idea. ;)

@RHCP: Which RP did you delete? O.o

I'm planning on making a Pokemon Ranger RP and have it like some Ranger academy but I can't think of the houses' names. I want them to be based on legendary trios and the only trios that survive my winnowing are the Beasts and Lake Guardians. Which ones should I have the houses originate from?? The lake guardians seem easier to write about each houses' characteristics.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
I'm confused about the forum organisation, where are the sign-up threads? I can't find any.

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
Years
There aren't any strict sign-up threads. For new threads the sign-ups are usually posted in the IC thread (though some may state they want you to post them in the OOC so read carefully). For those that are already started you can post in the OOC or VM the GM to ask if there are any spots open.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Sign Up threads aren't really necessary, but I know they have them on some other forums.

@ Diamond: A journey RP I'm gonna post some time in the future if there's a lack of good such ones.

Years
@RHCP: Oh I see.

I've (surprisingly) finished all details of my PMD RP and I'm just making it neater by converting all the scribbled notes to non-paper Word document before posting it in PC. As of now, I'm writing 2 RPs-Journey and Ranger Academy. THe Ranger Academy idea sounds fascinating for me, I'm trying my best to make the houses of the school somewhat like HP's(Harry Potter if you didn't already knew that). The houses are Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf. Each have their own characteristics of people. Enough said about that RP. The journey RP is going well....I guess. Earlier on today, I read the RP Rules 2011 thread and it said that RPs must have a plot and IIRC, they said Jorney RPs usually don't have good plots other than plot twists, but isn't challenging the Pokemon League of that region A PLOT? Anyways, I'm nearly done with the cities and landmarks. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Challenging the pokémon league is a qualified plot ;) Many RPs have gotten accepted with just that as a goal... but something that matters is background info/story and such, I believe.

Years
I see now. Something like helping legendary Pokemon or defeating villainous teams you mean? I have my own villain team in my Journey RP and they aren't weaklings like Rocket or delusionals like Aqua and Magma. Muahahaha!!!

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
Years
Journey roleplays do tend to have 'villain' plots, but if you look at slls' roleplay, it's just a journey (I think only in the Hoenn part did he add team Aqua/Magma but I'm not sure) without much sub-plot but it's been going for over two years now! Sometimes simplicity is the key.

I like to mix it up a little, sometimes I make it just a normal journey in a different setting, like I did with the New Johto League, having a post-war setting and all, and sometimes I like to torture my minions a little and have a nice dark plot. But both can work very nicely on their own.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Seems I'm always thinking of a new RP to make xD But I won't post one for a while. I'll concentrate on the existing ones.

It'll be a journey RP, with the possibility to write as long posts as you'd like ^^ And it would be set in Kanto BUT the terrain and climate have changed a bit to make the plain Kanto areas more interesting and challenging, and there are foreign pokémon there, as well as one or two new towns. And professor Oak would have passed away since long, so there would be two new professors. And the plot would include an "evil team" as well as some legendaries.

Oh, and Diamond, I'm excited to see the PMD RP :D

Years
Seems I'm always thinking of a new RP to make xD But I won't post one for a while. I'll concentrate on the existing ones.

It'll be a journey RP, with the possibility to write as long posts as you'd like ^^ And it would be set in Kanto BUT the terrain and climate have changed a bit to make the plain Kanto areas more interesting and challenging, and there are foreign pokémon there, as well as one or two new towns. And professor Oak would have passed away since long, so there would be two new professors. And the plot would include an "evil team" as well as some legendaries.

Oh, and Diamond, I'm excited to see the PMD RP :D

Haha, don't worry, it probably be up in 2 weeks or less. I'm much wanting to see yours too. Can't imagine how the region would be, unless you have a picture of it? Oh, but don't show me now, show it when you put up the RP. :P

I'm now so excited to do a Ranger RP. Do you think I should stick to the Lake Guardians trio as the houses or change them to be based on the Legendary Beasts? Come to think of it, House Uxie sounds weird. House Raikou sounds nicer than House Mesprit. T.T What to do now.....?

And also, can someone teach me how to create those type of region maps that enables the creator to place cities, landmarks and features wherever they want. I need one of those to put them in my Journey RP. Is there some program for me to do that or what? Thanks for the help in advanced.

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
Years
@Diamond1304: I personally like the Legendary Beasts more. House Entei just sounds simply awesome. Although, I think you should wait for more opinions. I'm not exactly the best guy to answer those kind of stuff.

A Ranger RP, eh? I dunno. I've made one before, and it didn't really turn out that well. But since you're making one, if you ever post it on PC, please tell me and I'd be ecstatic to try to join it ^^

Years
@Diamond1304: I personally like the Legendary Beasts more. House Entei just sounds simply awesome. Although, I think you should wait for more opinions. I'm not exactly the best guy to answer those kind of stuff.

A Ranger RP, eh? I dunno. I've made one before, and it didn't really turn out that well. But since you're making one, if you ever post it on PC, please tell me and I'd be ecstatic to try to join it ^^
I thought so too. I'm trying to make the houses quite like the ones in HP, like Gryffindor, Ravenclaw etc. I'm giving each house their own unique characteristics that separate them from the other houses. E.g. House Entei emphasises the traits of courage, justice and strength. The emblematic Pokemon is Entei and the house colours are scarlet and gold.

Also, I am thinking of doing a InuYasha+Knights of Cygnus RP. But I have no ideas and I don't want to copy or plagiarize works. :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
What is Knights of Cygnus? :) As long as there's not a jewel broken in shards there, I'm all for it ;P

And the beasts are much more fitting for house mascots, I think~

Would Suicune be like Ravenclaw with cleverness and skill, while Raikou was like... Uh. Hufflepuff/Slytherin? ^^

Years
What is Knights of Cygnus? :) As long as there's not a jewel broken in shards there, I'm all for it ;P

And the beasts are much more fitting for house mascots, I think~

Would Suicune be like Ravenclaw with cleverness and skill, while Raikou was like... Uh. Hufflepuff/Slytherin? ^^
Knights of Cygnus, aka KOC by the Maplers like me, are a class or elite adventurers that serve the Queen of the Maple World. Yes, I'm talking about MapleStory here. xD Here's more on them, if you're curious. http://www.maplewiki.net/index.php?title=Cygnus_Knights/Knights_Of_Cygnus

Raikou is unlike Hufflepuff or Slytherin as according to Bulbapedia, it's distrustful of humans and such, so the chracteristics of rangers sorted into Raikou would normally be somewhat similar to Ravenclaw as they consider options before making decisions and are hard to gain any Raikou ranger's trust. And since Raikou's form is based on a tiger, the house have traits and symbols of a tiger, like respect, royalty and power. So in a slight way, Raikou house is like Slytherin though its too evil for a house. xP

@RHCP: Slightly side-tracking form the current topic, jewel shards are absorbed and embodied into the body of whoever uses if you take it from the anime itself.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Ah, Maple Story. It's cute :3 Never played though.

Yeah, that's true ^^ Raikou House wouldn't have to be as mean as Slytherin though.

Oh, you mean about what I just wrote in that RP? I know that's how it works in InuYasha, but this RP isn't InuYasha. I only got the idea from there, and I want the shards to be visible ^^

Years
Ah, Maple Story. It's cute :3 Never played though.

Yeah, that's true ^^ Raikou House wouldn't have to be as mean as Slytherin though.

Oh, you mean about what I just wrote in that RP? I know that's how it works in InuYasha, but this RP isn't InuYasha. I only got the idea from there, and I want the shards to be visible ^^
The shards are visible to Kagome, if you count that. XD Heheh, and everyone knows that Koga's shards are in his lower body.

Oh and another thing, does anyone know to draw your own region maps? Do I need to download a software for that?? 'Cos I really need one of those for moi Journey RP.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Well, yeah, but still it won't work the same in my RP ^^ You can just carry them around.

I'm eager to post the journey RP. But I posted the other RP only some days ago troubled Michaela with deleting it and all and I don't want to seem too annoying ^^' I'll just go and do my homework now.

But be sure to tell me when your PMD RP is up, or your own journey one! I'll maybe not join the latter one, but I will read stalk it :3

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
There aren't any strict sign-up threads. For new threads the sign-ups are usually posted in the IC thread (though some may state they want you to post them in the OOC so read carefully). For those that are already started you can post in the OOC or VM the GM to ask if there are any spots open.

Thanks. So, I guess it's a matter of surfing about and seeing what's open and what isn't. Sadly all the ones I liked are closed to new sign-ups. Oh well, it happens.

By the way I had an idea that I thought was quite fun, and I've submitted it for review. I don't know if the moderators will approve of it or not though. A little island adventure kind of thing, fairly simplistic, but the plot thickens as the story progresses and not all is as it seems. I won't give away too much obviously. I was wondering, for someone like myself who has only ever participated in failed RPs (like, ones that were abandoned by other players before the first page was finished, always disappointing when that happens), is it wise for me to start my own?

Would it have been better to join another RP, even if I wasn't too sure about the story or familiar with the themes? Or is it better to start your own when you can't find one you're comfortable with?

Also, just out of curiosity, or maybe a need to convince myself it's not my fault: does anyone here ever find themselves participating in failed RPs a lot? Does it ever get to you to the point that you wonder if you are the one putting the other players off for one reason or another? That you're essentially killing good RPs just because you took part? I know it's a crazy thought, but it's been bugging my mind lately. I wouldn't consider myself a bad writer with a bad imagination, but it seems as soon as I join an RP it just dies before I even get a chance to get my foot very far in the door.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
@ Beechlgz - You seem to be a person who can write good enough posts. I'm sure you're not the reason for the RPs to fail :)

Rather, you should be picky when you choose what RPs to sign up for. If the GM doesn't seem to be very active, or didn't bother typing up a proper first post for the RP, then maybe he'll disappear after a while when he gets bored with it. Seems to happen a lot. But sometimes it's of course the players who make it stop. Perhaps the plot isn't clear enough for the players to bother writing on, or they grow tired of the RP themselves.

So, don't just join any RP. Join the ones that look good; not visually since that's not what matters even if I think it's fun to write up visually nice looking first posts ^^' But the ones with a plot that sounds like the GM have actually given it some thought and come up with a game mechanics that will allow the players to live out their imagination in that world.

Regarding joining vs starting... I've discovered I'm doing better if I'm not participating in my own RP. I might try again sometime, but for now I'm concentrating on being GM.

But if you have a really good idea, and have given it a lot of thought, by all means post it and see how it works out for the players. If it does work out good, then maybe someone else gets inspired and makes a similar RP, which you can join ;) Or you can, of course, be a player in your own RP. It works for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back