• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Battle's of the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
Oh, I wasn't talking about the perfect rows of trees XD No, no, I meant tree structure as in the tiles looking like the official tiles XD sorry for unclarity there~ and I understand about the graphics rut, but in the long run graphics don't make a game, storyline, details, and creativity does :D

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Nice to see you around here again MOOSE! are you co-creator of this game aswell or just helping?

anywho I like the idea and unique nature of this. I actually agree with all the things krimm mentioned. Maybe find some or make some pokemon style tiles that look older. that would look better even if your going for a different look or feel. anyway good luck with this project.
Oh, I wasn't talking about the perfect rows of trees XD No, no, I meant tree structure as in the tiles looking like the official tiles XD sorry for unclarity there~ and I understand about the graphics rut, but in the long run graphics don't make a game, storyline, details, and creativity does :D

PokemonOI, I guess you can say that I am a co-creator. I'm doing a lot of back end programming, storywriting and concept development at the moment.

Both of you, your definition of what's "better" does not necessarily have to agree with ours. No matter what you say, we're not adopting the same visual style that everyone else uses. If that means you won't play our game, then we don't want your support. It's that simple.

Besides, with this visual style, we can use Ranger or Mystery Dungeon tiles to our liking. We can also access a vast repository of RMXP-style tiles.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
Both of you, your definition of what's "better" does not necessarily have to agree with ours. No matter what you say, we're not adopting the same visual style that everyone else uses. If that means you won't play our game, then we don't want your support. It's that simple.

Besides, with this visual style, we can use Ranger or Mystery Dungeon tiles to our liking. We can also access a vast repository of RMXP-style tiles.

That just raised a yellow flag. If you can't take feedback or opinions then perhaps you don't want my support? Keep in mind SUGGESTIONS are to be made, whether you like them or not, and you can use them if you wish to, however threatening whether or not that is what I base my support off of doesn't make you seem open minded at all.

I was merely giving visual suggestions that you might want to look into. I wasn't saying anything to the affect that I wouldn't play the game because your tiles didn't match the others.

'and I understand about the graphics rut, but in the long run graphics don't make a game, storyline, details, and creativity does'

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Where there's a fight, there's a moose.
Moose you seem to make the biggest things out of nothing, all the time.
You like to start fights i noticed, as well as other people.
Tell me again, why is the game posted on the site?
"oh blazers i don't know, so people can look at it?" Wrong
Some people will like it, some people wont.
But most importantly you have to see that people are trying to help you.
I don't know if you are sure of the meaning of, Critiscm.
But look it up some time.

As for this game.
I also do not like the default style of the tiles.
But since you already did begin the game this way, considering how far into it you are, it would take a lot of time to re-do it.
So if your that far, keep it.
So no poke balls? Will there be a craftsmaker like Kurt that will turn them into poke balls for you, or will you do it yourself?

Atomic Reactor

The ranger and mystery dungeon tiles won't go very well with this game. Neither will the actual sprites. I highly suggest that you get some different tiles. (and no, i dont mean kyledoves, i agree that their overused) Perhaps try and look for some different games that have a rustic, yet easy to imitate style. That way you don;t use the default tile, but their still different. Maybe start ripping from mystery dungeon and ranger?

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
The ranger and mystery dungeon tiles won't go very well with this game. Neither will the actual sprites. I highly suggest that you get some different tiles. (and no, i dont mean kyledoves, i agree that their overused) Perhaps try and look for some different games that have a rustic, yet easy to imitate style. That way you don;t use the default tile, but their still different. Maybe start ripping from mystery dungeon and ranger?

So, which is it? Rip them from Mystery Dungeon/Ranger or not.

I have already stated that I am not changing the tileset's. I like the look of the them and they were freely available from the start. I am not a spriter (look at the player back pic and the rival) so creating a new tileset or even altering an existing one will take a very long time.

I understand that the look of the game is one of the game's talking points and everybody will have an opinion which I respect. People have very different tastes when it comes to graphics or art. It's a nice little thing called variety. If there is no variety in life then what is the point in living. However, if this thread just turns into a big argument over the tiles and insults start flying around, then I will get a mod to lock this thread and post updates elsewhere. I would like this game to have a happy environment and if I can't get it here then I will move on. This goes for everybody.

P.S. I am always open to suggestions so please don't feel that I don't value your opinions or will just dismiss them out of hand.

P.P.S. To those who do not like the graphics: If you want to send me examples of altering the standard Pokémon tiles to fit my game then please feel free to. It might make it easier for me to see what you are getting at.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Don't threaten us to close your thread..
What do we care, there are 100 other games to look at.
If you don't wanna continue it thats your problem, but don't threaten us.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Prehistoric brought back by fossil.
Maybe he can have you encounter omystars and kabutos and stuff

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
Years
Depends how the Pokémon world sees as Prehistoric lol

But a good point actually, would we be seeing more new ancient Pokémon ?

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Well nothing new, the first post say no Fakemon

Atomic Reactor

I meant at the beggining that they wouldnt mesh well with your current tiles, and at the end i meant just stick with one of their styles.
get it now???

And for the pokiemon, why not edit them so they look like earlier versions of them. Like make a darker orange charizard, with a middle horn thing.
And put like 2 smaller trees on venasuar? just minor edits liek that would be neat.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Where there's a fight, there's a moose.
Moose you seem to make the biggest things out of nothing, all the time.
You like to start fights i noticed, as well as other people.
Tell me again, why is the game posted on the site?
"oh blazers i don't know, so people can look at it?" Wrong
Some people will like it, some people wont.
But most importantly you have to see that people are trying to help you.
I don't know if you are sure of the meaning of, Critiscm.
But look it up some time.

As for this game.
I also do not like the default style of the tiles.
But since you already did begin the game this way, considering how far into it you are, it would take a lot of time to re-do it.
So if your that far, keep it.
So no poke balls? Will there be a craftsmaker like Kurt that will turn them into poke balls for you, or will you do it yourself?

The Kurt thing is in the works. That's all I will say for now.

We wouldn't just slap on tiles from other games. We would tweak them to match the visual style.

If this is 600 years ago...your gonna keep the pokemon of today?

Yeah, not much has changed in 600 years. Remember, this is 600, not 6,000,000.

Prehistoric brought back by fossil.
Maybe he can have you encounter omystars and kabutos and stuff

Fossil resurrection technology has not been invented yet, so no fossil Pokémon.

i knew i should have clarified. lol.
I meant at the beggining that they wouldnt mesh well with your current tiles, and at the end i meant just stick with one of their styles.
get it now???

And for the pokiemon, why not edit them so they look like earlier versions of them. Like make a darker orange charizard, with a middle horn thing.
And put like 2 smaller trees on venasuar? just minor edits liek that would be neat.

Earlier versions? We've considered it, but the Pokémon won't look that much different because 600 years isn't that far back in the evolutionary line.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Posted originally by InMooseWeTrust

*sigh*...
1. Because this game takes place so far back in time, we're trying to create the feel of a classical RPG while still retaining the qualities of a Pokémon game. I think fangame developers are too fixated on the graphics of the Version games to try different aesthetic and gameplay styles. Pokémon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games turned the ideas of traditional Pokémon games on their heads. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! I actually had more fun with the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games than I did with the Version games, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's no doubt that we're going to attract a different audience than most of the other fangames in this forum.
2. Two different graphics styles? That would be a colossal waste of labor and time. We're only two people (the staff will continue to stay relatively small into the future) and the game is pretty small in scope, so we don't want to create too much work for ourselves.
3. Why Kyledove tileset? The vast majority of game developers in this forum think that's the only acceptable visual style that can ever be used in a Pokémon game.

Calm down,I'm just sharing my opinion.Kyledove dose, in fact ,have a tile set focusing on ancient towns.Making two versions wouldn't be that hard,you just have to switch the tile set in the second version and proceed to map touch-up.Also,retaining the feel of a Pokemon game isn't easy to do when the graphics belong to the Final Fantasy style.

Don't worry.I'm not bashing you're game.I do respect it.Some people might actually like it.Just please make sure you finish the project.Most projects are completely left behind only to make fans angry.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Yeah, I was part of a game where that happened very recently. This is why I would like to stay with the project until completion. It doesn't try to be all-inclusive (one region plus a few locations from neighboring Johto and Holon with 200 Pokémon isn't that big of a project), so I can promise you it will be finished. It will probably take about 2-3 years. We will not let it go longer than that. In the meantime, there will be constant updates and demos released every couple months so you will always be in the know.

Anyway, enough about the graphics. No matter what, we're keeping this style with minor tweaks and more custom and ripped tiles modified to fit the style. That is final and I don't want any more suggestions or arguments about it.

Last edited:

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Yeah, I was part of a game where that happened very recently. This is why I would like to stay with the project until completion. It doesn't try to be all-inclusive (one region plus a few locations from neighboring Johto and Holon with 200 Pokémon isn't that big of a project), so I can promise you it will be finished. It will probably take about 2-3 years. We will not let it go longer than that. In the meantime, there will be constant updates and demos released every couple months so you will always be in the know.

Anyway, enough about the graphics. No matter what, we're keeping this style with minor tweaks and more custom and ripped tiles modified to fit the style. That is final and I don't want any more suggestions or arguments about it.

Understood.I also am working on a project with just me and my cousin,so I know how troublesome it can be to finally release the project.Mine has been going on for about three years now.The first year was terrible.Making several maps then,all of a sudden,my PC crashed and we lost every bit of it.But we restarted the project and the maps look even better than before.Now the story line and making trainers is all that's left.For our first project,I hope it works out.Good luck with your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back