• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite battling simulator to use?!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay so there's been five - Pokemon Lab (w/e that is?), NetBattle, Shoddy, Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown. All of them have different features and each bring something different to the simulation-based competitive battling. Which was your favourite to use and why? Was it because battling seemed more natural on that? Which took the longest to get used to and which has the best design? etc share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
You forgot Pokemon Lab [lol]

Pokemon Online is my favorite, it was sleek, easy to use, and the only bad thing was the cancel button

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Pokemon Showdown. I've only used it for a while but I find it really easy and simple to use. I guess they're all simple and easy I just needed a reason, lol. ;;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay so after playing with PS' teambuilder today I decided I preferred that because it makes it 10x easier for me in that I don't really need to consult the analysis's at all and I just only really need what's right there.

However, after seeing that PS has no potential for imping at all that makes me quite sad, and the fact that PS has a colour you're stuck with on that nickname...

BUT.

PO you can't lose the tab of, and it has a nice design and you can change colours... but it means you have to download it in the first place.

...to summarise, I like them both evenly now. I wish they had the same features then they'd be the perfect simulator!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I actually give props to PO for the downloading aspect. I prefer having another program open than another tab. PS also slows down my internet sometimes and seriously screws up my computer when it's having a bad day. PO does do that sometimes but it doesn't make my internet and computer run as slow.

Seriously considering changing from Showdown to Online, lmao.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I tend to win more on Showdown :S

This question is more about what you prefer to use, not what you win most on. This is more coincidental if anything, since PS players were PO players for the most part a few months back.

I actually give props to PO for the downloading aspect. I prefer having another program open than another tab. PS also slows down my internet sometimes and seriously screws up my computer when it's having a bad day. PO does do that sometimes but it doesn't make my internet and computer run as slow.

Seriously considering changing from Showdown to Online, lmao.

Yeah PS never slows my Internet at all. :x Mainly because I normally have a million tabs at once, anyway...

Years
you forgot gs/rsbots although they were irc run so idk if they count
anyway, PS. They have some fantastic mods on there.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Please correct me if I am wrong, but Pokemon Showdown is browser based, isn't it? I tried it out (yes, I consider opening the website then clicking the "teambuilder" button and leaving as trying it out, don't judge me) yesterday and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't as great as I thought it would be, basing from the previous comments I've read. And the fact that it is browser-based doesn't make it any better either. While yes, you needn't download anything but it can slow down your browser. Never a good thing for me. ):

I'm still in cahoots with Pokemon Online. I've been with it ever since it was just up for testing until I left the competitive scene.

(BTW, Pokemon Lab is sort of the Gen 5 successor of Shoddy. I think the Smogon community made it. Not sure if it was released, however.)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Please correct me if I am wrong, but Pokemon Showdown is browser based, isn't it? I tried it out (yes, I consider opening the website then clicking the "teambuilder" button and leaving as trying it out, don't judge me) yesterday and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't as great as I thought it would be, basing from the previous comments I've read. And the fact that it is browser-based doesn't make it any better either. While yes, you needn't download anything but it can slow down your browser. Never a good thing for me. ):

I'm still in cahoots with Pokemon Online. I've been with it ever since it was just up for testing until I left the competitive scene.

(BTW, Pokemon Lab is sort of the Gen 5 successor of Shoddy. I think the Smogon community made it. Not sure if it was released, however.)

The teambuilder is nice, though. PO didn't actually give us a click autofill type thing, nor viable moves, nor did it give us recommended EVs/natures, which is a pretty useful thing in comparison. PO had none of that and it meant you had to look up everything you didn't know off by heart. :(

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Pokemon Showdown user here. Not having to download a data-filling application onto my computer makes it a very enticing programme to use, plus I find it easier to set up a team compared to Pokemon online.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024

The teambuilder is nice, though. PO didn't actually give us a click autofill type thing, nor viable moves, nor did it give us recommended EVs/natures, which is a pretty useful thing in comparison. PO had none of that and it meant you had to look up everything you didn't know off by heart. :(

Ahh, I see. I suppose previous experiences (and Smogon sets hurrdurr) helped me sort of memorize those stuff much easier. PS should just detach itself from the browser though imo. It causes too much strain in my browser. ):

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay I take back my love of PS :( It keeps disconnecting randomly, and although laddering there is pretty good... the fact that you keep D/Cing so often and so much lag is starting to annoy me. Back on the PO is wonderful boat !

Years
Well, I only found out recently that there was more battling simulators other than Pokemon Online so that's what I use! lol :3

I found out about Pokemon Online from my brother who recomended that I use it to practice my battling. The other battle sims looks interesting to try out, but I am too lazy to download something which might freeze my laptop

Years
It's a toss up between Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown. PO has way better user interface than PS(in PS people using charizard in Ubers 0_0), but PO's tiers are garbage, I mean, escavalier and dugtrio in NU, really? Also there's a lot of other things to do on PO besides battling such as Mafia. So i guess i like PO more but I play on PS too. The other ones are **** imo lol.

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2012
Pokemon online mainly because I play often little played tiers and Pokemon online has the highest usage. I also have played on it for 3 years so have a well established group of friends and am very used to the program.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2012
I like pokemon showdown a lot. Mainly because of the moving sprites and animations and its simple to use.

Back