The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 4 Days Ago, 12:13 PM
maccrash

Send a message via Skype™ to maccrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
And that is why I wish Summer Blockbusters need to be taken seriously, since it's the only season people pay attention to to determine Hollywood's future in terms of memorable flicks that will forever be used in pop culture references like with JAWS and Jurassic Park.
public attention does not a great movie make. plenty of people go and see summer blockbusters but does that make them any better? (0;

also there are plenty of films that are the antithesis of a summer blockbuster that are referenced all the time, i.e. Fight Club, American Psycho, Pulp Fiction (although that one's on the fringe)......... etc
Old 4 Days Ago, 12:18 PM
Antemortem
I'M HETERO FOR KAYA SCODELARIO

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Spiderman doesn't deserve its place at #2 either. I thought it was fantastic, sans the last ten minutes of the movie.

kawaii in the sheets
Old 4 Days Ago, 03:36 PM
Klippy
Put it on the line and I feel fine
Community Supporter

I haven't seen many movies in 2014 yet, but I can't believe some of the movies on there. I know a few have bombed, but I feel like 2014 has had one of the better years in movies in recent memory. A lot of good things coming out.

jak is the coolest
Old 4 Days Ago, 05:20 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
Spiderman doesn't deserve its place at #2 either. I thought it was fantastic, sans the last ten minutes of the movie.
Not according to MovieBob/Game Overthinker from the Escapist, who also hated the first ASM movie and defended Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 to justify his hate. They despised ASM2 so much, he wrote this as his title: "The Amazing Spider-Man 2: the Movie that Broke MovieBob."
Old 4 Days Ago, 06:40 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Not according to MovieBob/Game Overthinker from the Escapist, who also hated the first ASM movie and defended Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 to justify his hate. They despised ASM2 so much, he wrote this as his title: "The Amazing Spider-Man 2: the Movie that Broke MovieBob."
Good for MovieBob/Game Overthinker from the Escapist.
Old 3 Days Ago, 12:59 PM
Braxien
Banned

I haven't been to the cinema to see many films in the past couple years, I don't know why. Does anyone who frequents these areas have any film recommendations to buy on DVD/go to the cinema to see/to watch when they come out in the future? Thank you in advance.
Old 3 Days Ago, 05:31 PM
Klippy
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxien View Post
I haven't been to the cinema to see many films in the past couple years, I don't know why. Does anyone who frequents these areas have any film recommendations to buy on DVD/go to the cinema to see/to watch when they come out in the future? Thank you in advance.
That would really depend on the genres of film you enjoy.

I have several movies that are some of my personal favorites, but to each their own. If you let me know what genres you like, I could recommend you some!

My personal favorites include Drive, True Grit, Gran Torino, Pineapple Express, Superbad, Children of Men, and Shaun of the Dead. All of these are available on DVD currently and I highly recommend them.

Drive, True Grit, Gran Torino, and Children of Men are all serious films with very unique stories and atmospheres. Watch Children of Men first for a dystopian end-of-world film. Drive for a surreal, stylized film. True Grit for a great western film. Gran Torino for a revenge/underdog story film.

Pineapple Express, Superbad, and Shaun of the Dead are comedies. Pineapple Express is a stoner comedy. Superbad for a highschool underdog comedy. Shaun of the Dead for British zombie comedy.

Those are just a few of some of my most recommended films! :) Hope they help!

jak is the coolest
Old 3 Days Ago, 04:41 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Sorry to break up the topic, but does anyone else feel that the Rita Skeeter Short story JK Rowling made for Pottermore reads like a major hint from her that we're gonna get something new in the HP universe?
Old 2 Days Ago, 12:22 PM
Klippy
Community Supporter

It sure seems like she's, at the very least, keeping the world alive. I think she's testing the waters to see how the fans react to the new short. If it's well-received and people are clamoring for more, neither her or her publisher could say no to another billion-dollar Harry Potter series.

jak is the coolest
Old 2 Days Ago, 03:32 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Pretty much yeah. I wanna see where she can go with an adult based Harry Potter series that has no restraints of school years, and maybe facing a bigger or same leveled evil like Voldemort. I always found it ridiculous that only one guy could abuse magic so much like he has, and no else fell to the temptation.
Old 2 Days Ago, 04:46 AM
Stargazer
Y'know that i'm a crazy b****, I do what I want when I feel like it.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Stargazer
I remember watching that announcement on the news the other day, and it sure would be great to see what's next for Harry after the end of Deathly Hallows where he had children. From an article I read, "Harry's marriage to Ginny seems in trouble". If their children are at Hogwarts like they were being sent off to in the final scene, that I would like to see too.
Masuda Method #1 - Shiny Noibat, 2/12/14, 174 eggs
Old 1 Day Ago, 12:18 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nah, generation zeox characters plus the same seven book setup would be silly, maybe though she could go forsomething like a multinarrative thing, with some neville chapters to focus on hogarts.

Nah, generation zeox characters plus the same seven book setup would be silly, maybe though she could go forsomething like a multinarrative thing, with some neville chapters to focus on hogwarts.
Old 1 Day Ago, 12:39 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
NO MORE HARRY POTTER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
Old 1 Day Ago, 06:35 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I've kind of been away from the franchise since the release of the 7th book, so I've kind of managed to avoid Harry Potter oversaturation, and only recently sat through a movie marathon with my cousin, who only recently finished book seven for the first time, so I'm kind of at a point where my body is ready for more Harry Potter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you completely and ask Rowling "GOT ANYMORE OF THAT HARRY POTTER STUFF?"

Under Construction
Old 1 Day Ago, 06:45 PM
fantome ecrivain
*insert fancy usertitle here*

Nature: Quiet
Harry Potter is one of those franchises which I prefer film > print. My body just disagrees with immense amounts of dialogue ;_; But my, that Rita Skeeter short was a nice read.

Old 1 Day Ago, 06:49 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Uh, I thought we were friends.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old 1 Day Ago, 06:59 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katholic Nun View Post
Uh, I thought we were friends.
If Fahrenheit 451 was written after Harry Potter became popular then there would be at least 3 sequels right now. I don't hate the story, I hate the sequel culture that spawned from it for novels. I WANT ORIGINAL CONTENT.
Old 1 Day Ago, 09:14 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
If Fahrenheit 451 was written after Harry Potter became popular then there would be at least 3 sequels right now. I don't hate the story, I hate the sequel culture that spawned from it for novels. I WANT ORIGINAL CONTENT.
Teen novels have always been the territory of sequels, though!

I mean, Animorphs was borderline in that genre, started at least 3 years before Harry Potter debuted Stateside, and ended up with 54 freaking books, as well as several side story series!

Under Construction
Old 1 Day Ago, 10:34 PM
Klippy
Community Supporter

Quote:
See, I don't mind sequels if they are deserved. Harry Potter lent itself to sequels because the universe was rich with ideas (and still is). The same for A Song of Ice and Fire. That universe is rich with mythology and history. There's so much room to create and expand on the core concept.

I also value books that do not have sequels though because it's sort of like...you get to know this world or story and then that's it. It's sort of the reader's interpretations of what happens next if the story leaves it open.

jak is the coolest
Old 1 Day Ago, 10:37 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
The sequel culture was happening long before Harry Potter, but I don't even think of the subsequent HP books as sequels, just instalments in an overarching story.

I think if they're all planned from the beginning they're instalments, if they're thought of after the fact they're sequels.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links