The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 07:47 AM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Walking in Touched's footsteps, I decided to follow his lead and jump in with both feet. Ledges should be completely finished today or tomorrow.

Update: ledges can go jump into a lake. Mewsus Christ I really hate them.

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.

Last edited by daniilS; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:27 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 05:36 PM
longlostsoldier

Ah, didn't Touched say they got ledges working daniils? So you can relax, it's done. It seems to work a lot better now from what little I've played with it.

Anyway, I'm afraid I'm still quite a newb at ASM, so I was only able to figure out inserting a few of the hooks -embarrassed-. I figured out the free space for the actual functions, and where the hooks are supposed to go ( the second hex you provided in that hook function in your py script right?), but, ehh, kinda got muddled on the actual hooks. Instructions would definitely be nice.

But, I got the movement one, the collide one, and the ledge one, and they seem to work pretty good (for, you know, being only half the script)! Only, and I'm sure this is probably a result of me being bad at inputting things, I got a weird bug where when my meowth follower jumped after me, they temporarily turned into a Seel instead for the duration of the jump! They turned back into a meowth immediately after.

Last edited by longlostsoldier; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:37 PM. Reason: *accidentally wrote Seel as seal
Old 3 Days Ago, 08:58 AM
Touched

GoGo has kindly recorded a video of my current Follow Me implementation in Platinum Red/Blue
Old 3 Days Ago, 02:07 PM
joexv
The True XV

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to joexv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched View Post

GoGo has kindly recorded a video of my current Follow Me implementation in Platinum Red/Blue
Wow, good job touched. Does this support warps 100% and is the no collision what so ever still a thing?

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Old 3 Days Ago, 02:14 PM
Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexv View Post
Wow, good job touched. Does this support warps 100% and is the no collision what so ever still a thing?
Thanks. Warps are still an issue: I can get the follower to move but there are a huge amount of checks that need to be done to reposition it properly. Connections and collision work 100% though. In its current state it is perfect for a short follow me like in Platinum.
Old 2 Days Ago, 03:41 PM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
This is able to port that to Pokemon Ruby?

POKEMON DIRTY SUN - Comming Soon.
Old 2 Days Ago, 04:29 PM
Yvtq8K3n

Im working on emerald and also would like know if is possible to do it on emerald.
If you could give the script would be great.
Old 1 Day Ago, 08:42 AM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvtq8K3n View Post
Im working on emerald and also would like know if is possible to do it on emerald.
If you could give the script would be great.
Look guys, it's not a script, there are no scripts, it's all 100% asm.
Old 1 Day Ago, 01:07 PM
Yvtq8K3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoJJTech View Post
Look guys, it's not a script, there are no scripts, it's all 100% asm.
I know is ASM but you could send the code plz. I know c, c++ and other languages, so i woulnd't have a lot of problems to get it. Thx, im also learning ASM.(sorry for the bad english)
Old 1 Day Ago, 01:12 PM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Quote:
I know is ASM but you could send the code plz. I know c, c++ and other languages, so i woulnd't have a lot of problems to get it. Thx, im also learning ASM.(sorry for the bad english)
It's all open source actually: https://github.com/Touched/FollowMe

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.
Old 1 Day Ago, 01:17 PM
Yvtq8K3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
It's all open source actually: https://github.com/Touched/FollowMe
Thx man. Lets see if i can upgrade the script:D
Old 1 Day Ago, 01:35 PM
joexv
The True XV

OK so I was playing with it and in the config it says set the follwers local id to fe. Does that mean the person id? Cause I cant seem to get it to work.Actually it just wont insert for me. Ill do it manually.

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Last edited by joexv; 1 Day Ago at 01:50 PM.
Old 1 Day Ago, 05:05 PM
Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
This is able to port that to Pokemon Ruby?
lolno.

Quote:
Thx man. Lets see if i can upgrade the script:D
I'm actually working on a port to Emerald myself.

Quote:
OK so I was playing with it and in the config it says set the follwers local id to fe. Does that mean the person id? Cause I cant seem to get it to work.Actually it just wont insert for me. Ill do it manually.
It only adds an extra ID (0xFE) for applymovement. The default person ID will work fine, but I thought it might be nice to have an easy way of accessing the follower through scripts, so I added that.
The insertion script should work fine, as long as you're running it with Python 3 (not 2!) and have DevkitARM installed (with the binaries in your path). If you have all of that, there shouldn't be any problems. Inserting manually is a bit difficult if you don't know how to hook. Besides, I made the script in the first place because inserting manually is a pain.
Old 1 Day Ago, 05:37 PM
joexv
The True XV

Quote:
It only adds an extra ID (0xFE) for applymovement. The default person ID will work fine, but I thought it might be nice to have an easy way of accessing the follower through scripts, so I added that.
The insertion script should work fine, as long as you're running it with Python 3 (not 2!) and have DevkitARM installed (with the binaries in your path). If you have all of that, there shouldn't be any problems. Inserting manually is a bit difficult if you don't know how to hook. Besides, I made the script in the first place because inserting manually is a pain.
Ah It may be because I dont have the devkit. Ok trying again

Edit: OK this is gonna sound really stupid, but im new to python. But just putting the binaries in the same folder does not work, how do I set the path so it finds them?

Last edited by joexv; 1 Day Ago at 06:02 PM.
Old 17 Hours Ago, 01:07 AM
Touched

Quote:
Ah It may be because I dont have the devkit. Ok trying again

Edit: OK this is gonna sound really stupid, but im new to python. But just putting the binaries in the same folder does not work, how do I set the path so it finds them?
You need to put it in the system path, not the Python path. I'm assuming you're a Windows user: Open a command prompt and type "path" to see what directories are in your path. If you used the installer it should automatically have added the devkitARM bin folder to your path. Check this is the case by typing 'arm-none-eabi-as --version' and seeing it gives valid output. If you get an error you'll need to add the devkitARM directory (C:\devkitARM\bin or something) to your path. Not really sure how to permanently set the windows path, so just Google.
Old 5 Hours Ago, 01:15 PM
joexv
The True XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched View Post
You need to put it in the system path, not the Python path. I'm assuming you're a Windows user: Open a command prompt and type "path" to see what directories are in your path. If you used the installer it should automatically have added the devkitARM bin folder to your path. Check this is the case by typing 'arm-none-eabi-as --version' and seeing it gives valid output. If you get an error you'll need to add the devkitARM directory (C:\devkitARM\bin or something) to your path. Not really sure how to permanently set the windows path, so just Google.
Oh ok yea I know how to do that. I guess I was overcomplicating things. OK well I'll get to fixin that. And the installer kinda added the path, it added the wrong one.

Edit: Ok so after many tries, I got the path installed, but that didnt help still getting file not found error, I kinda fixed that by adding
Code:
import os.path 

scriptpath = os.path.dirname(__file__)
filename = os.path.join(scriptpath, 'BPRE0.gba')
testFile=open(filename)
print(testFile.read())
to this but it couldnt figure out the decoding so adding
encoding.'utf8' kinda worked but it couldnt figure out what 0x32 was or something like that, so still having issues. I feel like somethings off with my laptop. I feel like its the subprocess or the sys importing that causes the issue, cause it never lists what file it cant open and it never gets past that part of the script.

Error log:
Spoiler:
>>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\home\Downloads\Compressed\FollowMe-master\FollowMe-master\assemble.py", line 61, in <module>
hook('movement.s', 'test.gba', 0x800000, 0x0629F6, 2)
File "C:\Users\home\Downloads\Compressed\FollowMe-master\FollowMe-master\assemble.py", line 30, in hook
assemble(file, rom, space, True, *args)
File "C:\Users\home\Downloads\Compressed\FollowMe-master\FollowMe-master\assemble.py", line 15, in assemble
subprocess.check_output([AS, '-mthumb'] + list(args) + [assembly])
File "C:\Python34\lib\subprocess.py", line 607, in check_output
with Popen(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, **kwargs) as process:
File "C:\Python34\lib\subprocess.py", line 858, in __init__
restore_signals, start_new_session)
File "C:\Python34\lib\subprocess.py", line 1111, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
>>>

Last edited by joexv; 4 Hours Ago at 02:12 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links