• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whats so special about a Pikachu

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
Years
ok why does team rocket wants ash's pikachu so badly I mean pikachu is a good pokemon but they could get a better in the wild or another pokemon so like why is pikachu so special?

Years
  • VA
  • Seen Aug 13, 2007
Hmmmmm

Team moral most likely i mean they have been trying for a long time but i don't think they could find a stronger one though (if only ash teaches it return and evolves it)

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
Years
Yeah but they could try to catch another pokemon thats stronger than a pikachu but if thats not it then whats so special about it.Theres has to be a good reason why they want it so badly

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
Years
It's really just the storyline that they've been using for so long. TR finds Pikachu to be one of their "ultimate" prizes that they can catch, even when there are so many other Pokemon much more powerful than it.

But you have to note that TR do go for stronger Pokemon when they see them, e.g. legendaries, but still fail. It's unfortunate that they've never stolen a Pokemon, but that may just be the cause of only ever chasing after Pikachu.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
It was also directly said in the beginning that Ash's Pikachu was more powerful than a normal Pikachu, and considering the victories it has under its belt, that still holds true...regardless of the losses it also has.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
They DID catch Togepi in "Battle for the Badge" but Giovanni said it was useless XD

I think at the start they thought it was a particuarly strong Pokemon but it doesn't seem as strong as it is now. I suppose if they just gave up after 10 years they would have kinda wasted 10 years of their life on nothing.

Edit: I meant to say "it doesn't seem as strong now"

Last edited:
Years
They DID catch Togepi in "Battle for the Badge" but Giovanni said it was useless XD

I think at the start they thought it was a particuarly strong Pokemon but it doesn't seem as strong as it is now. I suppose if they just gave up after 10 years they would have kinda wasted 10 years of their life on nothing.

Very true, but we're talking about the rat, here. Hehe.

Anyway, your paragraph piqued my own thoughts as "why bother anymore?" Yes, the hunt has them witness things and Pokemon not many can say, but is it worth the constant electrical agony? I don't know about your issue with its strength as it defeated a Regice at the end of BF, I just blame the writers for not being consistent.

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
Years
Wait a minute I was just watching an old episode of pokemon and theres this part were Team Rocket tries to steal pikachu, and Ash ask why they want it and Meoth was about to say it but quickly Team Rocket cover his mouth.So whats the secrete about Pikachu?

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Team Rocket (and apparently the fans...) Don't realize that the moment Pikachu blew up the huge pokemon center, it had just been powered up by ash on misty's broken bike, and had a ton of pikachu's attached to it. That's when TR started chasing them =P

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
About "a Pikachu" - Nothing.

About Satoshi's Pikachu - ZOMGLIEK It 50 pwnz it kix @$$ so w3 t33m r0ck3t wantz it!!!!!11111111111

Seriously, it's stupid writers. We're all sick of the Yellow Pikachu. Almighty Pikachu. Scary Pikachu... *sings*

Last edited:

Sr E

Jr. Trainer
Years
The reason why Team Rocket wants Ash's Pikachu is because his Pikachu is a mutant in terms of power. Think about it: his Pikachu is able to take down GROUND-types with ELECTRIC attacks. No other Pokemon is able to do stuff like that. So of course his Pikachu would be valuable: it's one of a kind.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
The reason why Team Rocket wants Ash's Pikachu is because his Pikachu is a mutant in terms of power. Think about it: his Pikachu is able to take down GROUND-types with ELECTRIC attacks. No other Pokemon is able to do stuff like that. So of course his Pikachu would be valuable: it's one of a kind.

That just might be the anime though, sometimes they say electric attacks don't work on ground types but sometimes they just ignore it. Like in the Gymbaliar episode Croagunk used a poison attack on Scizor and it worked.

Team Rocket (and apparently the fans...) Don't realize that the moment Pikachu blew up the huge pokemon center, it had just been powered up by ash on misty's broken bike, and had a ton of pikachu's attached to it. That's when TR started chasing them =P

I noticed that too while I was watching that episode a few days ago. That's why I've started thinking there really isn't anything special about Ash's Pikachu...

Wait a minute I was just watching an old episode of pokemon and theres this part were Team Rocket tries to steal pikachu, and Ash ask why they want it and Meoth was about to say it but quickly Team Rocket cover his mouth.So whats the secrete about Pikachu?

Meowth says Pikachu's strength is "way beyond
its evolutionary level" but they were talking about when Pikachu had been powered up in the Pokemon centre. But none of them had noticed it had been powered up :\

Nekonron

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
Maybe because if they went for any other Pikachu, they wont get anymore screen time :15:

Well, you have to admit that Ash' Pikachu is a lot stronger than the average Pikachu but it just makes u wonder how it lost a lot of easy battles as well :\

Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2007
I think it's a matter of pride an honour. They are chasing Pikachu for so long now, they want to catch it just to prove they CAN.
Maybe to show the boss they have it in them, of course it's also just a plain thought up reason to keep them in the show :p

But if you really want an explanation honour is the best one one can give. Don't forget that in the ORIGINAL pokemon they're names are based on Legendary Samurai. (Known for their honour) So that's probably it.

Voltrex

Pikachooper
Years
Maybe because if they went for any other Pikachu, they wont get anymore screen time :15:

Well, you have to admit that Ash' Pikachu is a lot stronger than the average Pikachu but it just makes u wonder how it lost a lot of easy battles as well :\

Well said Nekonron, His pikachu does have his sorry moments but he also managed to defeat a Dragonite, Metagross, and a Regice. Also, if his pokemon won alot of battles, it would get really boring, really quick...

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 19, 2010
I think it's a matter of pride an honour. They are chasing Pikachu for so long now, they want to catch it just to prove they CAN.
Maybe to show the boss they have it in them, of course it's also just a plain thought up reason to keep them in the show :p

But if you really want an explanation honour is the best one one can give. Don't forget that in the ORIGINAL pokemon they're names are based on Legendary Samurai. (Known for their honour) So that's probably it.

I agree. It's not only about whether it's strong or not but also their pride for 10 years catching pikachu. It's like catching pikachu is their dream to reach. Beside in some episode they do prefer steal another pokémon and ignore pikachu

Aurabolt

Shipper (Poke-, Ruby-, Pearl-)
Years
  • Age 37
  • NY
  • Seen Jun 21, 2007
We should also note that Pikachu is, at the least, 3 times electrically more powerful than a Raichu of equal level. Being Satoshi's most powerful pokemon, alongside the unusual training he's taken to allow his electrical attacks to actually damage ground-types all the way back at his beginning, Pikachu is as strong as the rest of ones they take, if not more so.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Because Ash's Pikachu is special somehow.
At least thats what was explain waaaay back...

Sure they could catch one and train it themselves, but I doubt they could get it close to Ash's Pikachu.

That and it makes the show slightly more amusing.. x3

hannahmiley

Rock Star/Pokemon Trainer
Years
Ash's Pikachu is an immortal Pokemon sent to the chosen one, Ash, by Arceus. That's why Team Rocket wants it >.>
But seriously, I think it's because Ash's Pikachu is strong. Not just strong, but super stupidly strong, as if it were God. Then I guess there's no difference between that Pikachu and Arceus... But if they want a strong Pikachu so bad, they can go catch one in the wild and train it to be strong, anybody can do that!

Back