• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poison Team

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Hey, all! I'm back with another competitive team for you guys to rate/tear apart with extreme prejudice. So, without further ado, lemme show you my monotype poison team!

Pendoraa

Jolly, 252 Speed and attack, Poison Point, Toxic Orb

Megahorn
Toxic Spikes
Earthquake
Poison Point

Gengar

Timid, 252 Special Attack and Speed, Levitate, Toxic Orb

Trick
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast

Weezing

Bold, 252 HP and Defense, 4 Special Defense, Levitate, Black Sludge

Haze
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Stockpile

Tentacruel

Calm, 252 HP and Special Defense, 4 Special Attack, Liquid Ooze, Black Sludge

Rapid Spin
Toxic Spikes
Boil Over
Toxic Shock

Nidoking

Modest, 252 Special Attack, 100 HP and Def, 58 Special Defense, Encourage, Choice Specs

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Earth Power
Venom Shock

Scizor

Adamant, 252 Attack and Speed, 4 HP, Technician, Life Orb

X-Scissor
Superpower
Bullet Punch
Pursuit

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This is for monotype, right?

It seems okay other than the fact that Tentacruel's set kind of redundant. You already have a toxic spiker as a lead, and one who takes normal damage from Earthquake, so I'd leave that job to Pendora.

Also, how exactly are you going to cover ground weaknesses? I know Gengar and Weezing have levitate, but their movepools don't seem to pose a direct threat to ground and rock types to begin with, and if those two are ever knocked out, you could be under fire. While Tentacruel is a water type, it's not exactly powerful or fast enough to cover everything.

For Gengar, I'd probably replace Trick for Hidden Power Ice, or maybe get rid of Focus Blast. It's a terrible move imo, not to mention Nidoking will already break through most steels with Earth Power, or Weezing with that Flamethrower.

So basically, change Tentacruel's set and give your team more coverage.

Detox

I will assume this is for competitive play, however you made a big mistake by making it a monotype team. A monotype team wont do, ever. Poison is weak to ground, one of the most common types in todays metagame. Its also weak to psychic, and a lot of noteble threats are of the psychic typing. Unless you mix it up a little and add more variety to your team,by adding sweepers, checks,etc. there is no way this team could actually work in the competitive metagame.

You should probably take a look at our community - made threat lists, located here and here.

You can also come on the PO server, we would be happy to assist you in fixing your team :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
I will assume this is for competitive play, however you made a big mistake by making it a monotype team. A monotype team wont do, ever. Poison is weak to ground, one of the most common types in todays metagame. Its also weak to psychic, and a lot of noteble threats are of the psychic typing. Unless you mix it up a little and add more variety to your team,by adding sweepers, checks,etc. there is no way this team could actually work in the competitive metagame.

You should probably take a look at our community - made threat lists, located here and here.

You can also come on the PO server, we would be happy to assist you in fixing your team :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there IS a side-metagame called Monotype on PO, and it typically allows one pokemon who is not of the chosen type on the team, so his team is fine in that respect, he just needs better ground-type checks.

Detox

Well he didn't state which metagame it was to be used in, so I automatically assumed it was for the standard one :/.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey, all! I'm back with another competitive team for you guys to rate/tear apart with extreme prejudice. So, without further ado, lemme show you my monotype poison team!

Pendoraa

Jolly, 252 Speed and attack, Poison Point, Focus Sash
Megahorn
Toxic Spikes
Earthquake
Rock Slide
/Spikes
An extra coverage move or entry hazard helps. Toxic Orb is redundant on Pendra because it can't be poisoned.

Gengar

Timid, 252 Special Attack and Speed, Levitate, Toxic Orb/Choice Scarf

Trick
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast

Weezing

Haze
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Stockpile/Pain Split

Tentacruel

Calm, 252 HP, 120 Defense, 136 Special Defense, Liquid Ooze, Black Sludge

Rapid Spin
Ice Beam
Boil Over
Toxic Shock

Nidoking

Modest, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, Encourage, Life Orb
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Earth Power
Venom Shock

Scizor

Adamant, 252 Attack and Speed, 4 HP, Technician, Life Orb

Bug Bite
Superpower
Bullet Punch
Pursuit/Swords Dance

Pursuit is better for a Choice Band set.
Comments/suggestions in bold. Also, Toxic Shock is "Venom Shock."

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Thanks for your help guys, and sorry about the confusion. Yes, this is a monotype team. But, I found out that a wild card is not permitted after all, So I made a couple changes.

Pendoraa

Jolly, 252 Speed and attack, 4 HP, Poison Point, Focus Sash
Megahorn
Toxic Spikes
EarthquakeRock Slide

As a lead, this version works much better than the other. The toxic orb was for those trick-scarfers so that they would have a nasty surprise, but that was fairly rare. Being able to either hit leads hard or set up is nice.

Tentacruel

Calm, 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SpD Liquid Ooze, Black Sludge

Rapid Spin
Ice Beam
Boil Over
Hidden Power Electric, Venom Shock

The ev spread keeps him alive for the odd physical hit instead of instantly dying. I don't know whether an anti water move is better, or keeping the STAB.

Nidoking

Modest, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, Encourage, Life Orb
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Earth Power
Flamethrower/ Venom Shock

I was afraid to use life orb because I wanted staying power, but with defenses and typing being what they are...life orb has worked wonderfully. Though, should I use Flamethrower instead of The STAB?

Roserade

252 Speed and Special attack, Natural Cure, Life Orb

Grass Knot
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ground
Extrasensory

My replacement for Scizor. Even though it's not physically based powerhouse like Scizor, it has the grass typing that I desperately needed to counter Swampert and other bulky waters. Now I don't know if this is the best moveset for a poison team so help me out a bit.

Weezing

Haze
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Stockpile

Unchanged. He's my always useful wall/hazer

Gengar

Timid, 252 Special Attack and Speed, Levitate, Toxic Orb

Trick
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice

Keeping the Trick/Toxic orb set, since it's worked VERY nicely since NO ONE expects it. Especially when I get a Focus band or Life orb out of it! :D However, he had no viable move against dragons, particularly Garchomp and salamence, so I gave him HP Ice, but it looses it's power against Tyranitar, my biggest problem.

One Last question. Would another physical attacker be a better choice for one of the other pokemon? I'm heavily Specially oriented, which hasn't been too much of a problem yet, but against Blissey or the new Chansey, would it be better to use Drapion or some other physical attacker?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Pendoraa

Jolly, 252 Speed and attack, 4 HP, Poison Point, Focus Sash
Megahorn
Spikes
Earthquake

Spikes is better when you can put T-Spikes elsewhere.

Tentacruel

Calm, 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SpD Liquid Ooze, Black Sludge

Rapid Spin
Evil Eye
Boil Over
Toxic Spikes

Toxic Spikes can fit on here. Evil Eye is needed for ghosts, namely Burungeru who will block your spin.

Nidoking

Timid 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, Encourage, Choice Scarf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Earth Power
Flamethrower/ Venom Shock

Flamethrower is better. Also Encourage makes you take no LO recoil btw. Use Scarf as your team is very slow, Nidoking will help revenge some stuff for you.

Roserade

252 Speed and Special attack, Natural Cure, Life Orb

Grass Knot
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ground
Extrasensory

Needs more Sludge Bomb, Leaf Storm, Sleep Powder and the like.

Weezing

Will-O-Wisp
Flamethrower
Clear Smog

Pain Split

You do realize that Haze cancels your own boosts too right ? Clear Smog is better than Haze and gets STAB and you need W-O-W do even do anything to sweepers. Pain Split is needed for healing.

Gengar

Timid, 252 Special Attack and Speed, Levitate, Life Orb
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute

By far this things best set. In a metagame littered with Tyranitar and Scizor, this without Sub is utter Pursuit bait. Focus Blast is 100% needed to beat Tyranitar and Heatran (both are massive issues to this team). Pain Split also lets you outstall counters with Toxic Spikes up, namely Blissey. T-Bolt isnt needed with the already flawless coverage. Weezing can beat Garchomp 1 vs 1 and scarf Nido can revenge it so HP Ice isn't needed either.

Comments in bold.

You cant beat Rankurusu or anything with Confusion/Psybeam so i suggest you put in a Sp.Def Rest Sleep Talk Whirlwind Crunch Drapion over Roserade. :x

Really weak to everything apart from Toxic Spikes though, honestly lol. Cant you pick a better type ? x_x

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I'm grateful to everyone who helped me. The poison team that I have created has won me 70% of all my matches, 14 out of 20. I just wanted to say thanks and I'm looking forward to posting other teams for you guys to criticize.

Back