• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Follow me~ ♪

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Walking Pokémon, these Pokémon follow you, outside of their Poke Balls. First this feature was in Pokémon Yellow, then in Diamond/Pearl and then Platinum.

However, the first Pokémon games to have this feature with all available Pokémon at that time - were HeartGold and SoulSilver!

155.png
158.png
152.png

So, what did you think of this lovely feature, in general? Did you enjoy walking with your Pokémon, in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Which Pokémon did you walk with most, and why? c: Would you like to see this feature make a return in later Pokémon games, and why? Share any other thoughts here!

Personally, this is easily one of my most favorite mechanics in a Pokemon game, like ever. I loved everything about it, I loved my Pokemon following me, I loved talking to my Pokemon following me, I wanted to experiment with all kinds of Pokemon to see what it would be like with them following you around. o:

I really loved walking around with my Growlithe and my Chinchou when I gotten the chance to; aaah it was so awesome. <33

Years
Yeah, I loved it, it kinda made the entire experience more personal and created some connection between you and your Pokemon.
I honestly dont get why this feature wasnt passed on to the future generations.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Loved it but can understand why it was removed (large pokemon scaling and 3D etc would add some issues plus getting the sprites up to scratch for all the new pokemon.

I do hope it makes a return in G6/G7 in full 3D at some point as it did make it feel more part of a team with your pokemon there.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I loved this feature so much back then. I was hoping they could add it to X and Y after they didn't put it in black, because I thought 3D pokemon walking with you would just be plain awesome.

I was disappointed that it didn't happen in X and Y, as I loved catching new pokemon in HeartGold just I can see how cool they'd look while walking around with you. I even traded pokemon from my other games just to see how they walked.

My favourite pokemon to walk with were probably my Pidgeot "Rocket", and my Arcanine, who I named "Samba". Hopefully they put this feature in the next pokemon games.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I absolutely loved feature in HGSS. I loved watching my little Pokemon follow me around the game.
I especially liked walking around with a legendary following me. Made me feel like a badass.

I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't included in BW, because I feel like a lot of the groundwork was already laid for it, and it probably wouldn't have been too much extra work for it to be implemented. By the time X and Y had come around, I'd pretty much given up on seeing it anytime soon. I know that if it came back, though, I would be super excited. It was, along with toggle-able running shoes, the best feature from HGSS.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I used to love the feature upon seeing it from the trailers, but I was annoyed after for awhile and decided that I wanna travel alone. I wish there was option that allows the player to hide/send out their Pokémon as they wish.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
Yes this was a great feature and cute too. It's a shame they did not keep this in gen 5 I would love Oshowott or Pansear following me around

Last edited:
Years
I really enjoyed this feature, and while it was sad to not see it get ported over to future games it is still one of my fave "one-game exclusive" features. It was really fun getting to also interact with your Pokemon. My fave Pokemon to follow me around was my Miltank, who was pretty much my star against Lance while remaining a strong battler.

Years
As many people have said, this was a fun feature to have around, and one thing I really liked was that they would sometimes find accessories for the Fashion Case, like they would in Amity Square in Sinnoh. I liked having Quagsire follow me, as that thing is so silly but fun to have behind me.

blue

gucci
Years
This is one of the main reasons why I loved HGSS so much. Perhaps the exclusivity to HGSS is the reason why it's such a great feature in my eyes, although I would like to see something similar in the later games.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
I loved seeing my pokemon walk around behind me, it made me feel even more connected to my pokemon than the other main series games did. I was a tad sad to see it go, but I understand why it wasn't implemented again, especially now.

And, my favorite pokemon to have behind me is a tie between Lapras, Gengar, Persian, Typhlosion, and Ampharos. :3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Pokémon following you around in Gen 4 were always the most adorable things ever, I loved that aspect of the games so much haha. It felt really cool having your main Pokémon by your side and it really felt like you were going on your own personal journey rather than just playing as this random character. Definitely a feature I wish they'd bring back!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
It's a really neat to have my Pokémon follow when I walk, jump and all, and I have great time interacting with my Pokémon too, I wish this great feature will be back someday. I think I like to walk along with Togekiss.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
I wish it was back!
I really thought we should be able to keep it i mean atleast with starter pokemon or something! It was a really cool feature especially when i had that rayquaza and arceus following me around your the coolest in Johto lol.
But realky it was fun and cool to have your pokemon follow you it was extremely adorable with baby pokemon and i loved it really i dont see a negative to it either hehe. I hope they bring it back in the future games though!

Years
what did you think of this lovely feature, in general?
I think it's my favourite feature they introduced in pokemon. I hope they will bring this feature back in the future! ^-^

Did you enjoy walking with your Pokémon, in HeartGold and SoulSilver?
Yes, I loved walking with my Pokemon. This is one of the reasons I played through SS/HG so many times & making it one of my favourite games in general.

Which Pokémon did you walk with most, and why? c:
Actually I walked with all my Pokemon about the same. I like switching the Pokemon in my party so I can use them equally.

Would you like to see this feature make a return in later Pokémon games, and why?
Yes, Please! ^-^

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
UMMM ON THE REAL it's my favorite feature in any Pokemon game. I really wish they would bring it back. It's super precious and amazing and really gives you the feel of having your Pokemon with you and adds to the adventure. You just feel like your Pokemon are really there alongside you, you know? I also like that shiny Pokemon are acknowledged by follow me. Makes that pretty special too since they're not typically acknowledged outside of battle so it was a nice touch.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I love it a lot. I'm playing HeartGold right now actually and I love having my Pokémon walking behind me.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
The Follow Me Feature was and is one the best features to ever be implemented in a Pokemon game. I was shattered when it wasn't retained in the following games. it gave HGSS a really authentic feel in that you actually felt like a Pokemon trainer. And in a way, it also encouraged me to capture more Pokemon that I normally wouldn't because I just wanted to see what they looked like when they were following me. The fact that the following Pokemon sprites' also accounted for Shiny Pokemon made it even sweeter.

It is and will forever be the best feature in any Pokemon game in history.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
It's one of my favorite features introduced in a Pokemon game. Watching my party members follow me as I evolve and train them led me to become very attached to my pals. I also liked walking around with massive Pokemon such as Kyogre. It made me feel like a Pokemon Master.

Back