• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things in Pokémon that make you go "What the hell?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Surely there's at least one thing in Pokémon that you thought did not make sense. Here, post all the things you've seen (Anime or Games, Manga/Comics too) that make you go "What the hell?" or another reaction.

As for me, Doubleslap (Depending on how many times it hits, it could be Tripleslap, Quadrupleslap, or even Pentupleslap ;) ) being able to hit more than twice (It should be like Multipleslap/Multislap or something). Or any other move that says "Double" before the attack but actually can attack more than twice.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
In Japanese they're not called double! Doubleslap is "Round-trip slap" in Japanese, so blame the translators. All the other ones I think are actually things that hit twice, so there's that.

The idea of the past of Pokemon and humans always made me crazy. Until Poke Balls were invented, how did people not just get killed by Pokemon all the time? I really don't get it, you'd think that Pokemon would be the ruling class in this world, but humans are and Pokemon are the subservient ones.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
The idea of the past of Pokemon and humans always made me crazy. Until Poke Balls were invented, how did people not just get killed by Pokemon all the time? I really don't get it, you'd think that Pokemon would be the ruling class in this world, but humans are and Pokemon are the subservient ones.

Well, people could always link with them... Or at least try... (If you have played Pokémon Conquest, you will know what I mean)

When I entered a battle against my friend in the Battling Room (Don't know the name) in a Gen III Game, my opponent sent out a Wobbuffet with Shadow Tag and some Leftovers. And I sent out a Wobbuffet with Shadow Tag and some Leftovers. Guess what happened? Yes, infinite battle. I did not expect this would happen, so that's why I posted it here. Guess Bulbapedia was right...

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years

That's actually a very interesting thought. Many Pokemon would be very dangerous to humans, and they would have definitely ruled the world over the human race, provided they weren't created by humans in the first place.

One thing that has always bugged me was Kangaskhan already having a baby in her pouch when SHE HERSELF just hatched from an egg!!

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
I always assumed since it could hit more than twice, the "double" referred to two hands/appendages being used to slap the target at once.
What I don't get is how bikes are so expensive... is there a region where you can actually afford a bike without having to get it for free in some gimmicky way?

CaptainSquirtle

A fiesty gang leading turtle
Years
Something that makes me say "What the HELL?" in Pokemon is some of the PokeDex entries. For example, one of Pinsir's entries says it squeezes its prey with its pinsirs and eats them. But would they ever show a pinsir killing a wild Pidgey and then eating it? NO. So whats the point?

Obliveon

Burn...
Years
Why is it that Pichu, which is tiny, zaps itself silly when using electric moves, but Plusle and Minun who are the same size and apparently strength never do?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Why is it that Pichu, which is tiny, zaps itself silly when using electric moves, but Plusle and Minun who are the same size and apparently strength never do?

Because Pichu is a baby with underdeveloped electrical sacks and very little control over its attacks while Plusel and Minun aren't.

One thing that made me WTF with Pokemon was catching Delibird thanks to their Pokedex entries. I can't steal some poor defenseless baby's parent when they need them most TTwTT

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Wouldn't it be shorter to list the things that make sense? :laugh:

Alright... if we're counting the games, it never made sense to me how you live in a house with a single bedroom (where does your mom sleep in?) And, in Kanto, when you step into the wild grass for the first time, Professor Oak suddenly appears even though he wasn't anywhere in the town! Does he have teleportation powers or something?

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
Yamask's evolution to Cofagrigus.
Lemme sum it up for you. When you die, you become a ghost pokemon. It makes sense (albeit in a morbid kind of way). But when you hit a certain peak of your afterlife you turn into a FRIGGING SOLID GOLD COFFIN THAT EATS ANYTHING IT CAN.
It's terrifying, comes out of nowhere, and the implications? EVERYWHERE.

Jaysfinest1

The Original
Years
lol i really like the enthuiasm you guys put into this.

what makes me go what the hell is this, and it took me about a half hour to come up with lol.

so your doing your buisness and walking along, beating trainers and owning everything, and your rival comes along, no big deal, open the can of woop *** and let him have it. maybe two towns later, still doing your buisness, not asking for trouble and this punk comes back.. what the hell? did you really think there is going to be a much different outcome to this battle? lol.

"this is what really grinds my gears" i love rival battles dont get me wrong, but it just makes me think what the hell.

Years
When you talk to in-game trainers, they act all shocked/surprised when they talk about pokemon evolving or pokemon holding an item like it's something that's never existed before.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
In this one episode, in maybe Johto, Ash, Brock, Misty and all of them are stranded in a desert, and eventually collapse from lack of water. Seriously? They have like maybe four or five water-type Pokemon with them.

GalacticGlameow

Galactic Grunt!
Years
In Pokemon Pearl, you buy mulch and the girl says, "It's made from Pokemon...you know..."

I've never seen Pokemon doo in the games or show :P

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2013
Crawdaunt being able to learn Draagon Dance while Flygon cannot.

I thought it was pretty funny.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Spoiler:

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't get how some Pokémon with low base Speed can learn Aerial Ace (Tangrowth, Slowbro and Aggron are among these), a move that involves confounding the opponent with speed.

CrypticX

...a lonely Trainer
Years
ok...You may chose to believe this or not but i will say it anyway...

There have been 5 villainous teams throughout the whole game series...
Team Galactic, Team Rocket, Team Aqua, Team Magma and Team Plasma.
Everything is ok till here but if you look close enough at each of their emblems and even at the start of each of their names you see this.

Galactic
Rocket
Aqua
Magma
Plasma

The word "Gramps" is formed..."Gramps" is how Blue addresses to Prof. Oak in
Gen I + Gen IV remakes...
So...is Oak secretly pulling the strings behind every single one of the villainous teams on every game? Is he the supreme villain? Believe it or not, once you've read this you won't forget it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back