• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I think there is some mythology that said Dragon being weak to Ice. I don't which myth said that though.
Some match up that I thought being made up for the sake of balance are like Dark weakness to Bug (seriously I'm still puzzled about this), Bug resistance to Fighting (its even more damn confusing since Fighting is super effective to both Rock and Steel), and Steel and Ground advantage over Rock.

A friend of mine provided a good reason on why Dark is weak to Bug. It's because villains usually call the heroes "pests" or "insects" for foiling their plans.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think there is some mythology that said Dragon being weak to Ice. I don't which myth said that though.
Some match up that I thought being made up for the sake of balance are like Dark weakness to Bug (seriously I'm still puzzled about this), Bug resistance to Fighting (its even more damn confusing since Fighting is super effective to both Rock and Steel), and Steel and Ground advantage over Rock.

There actually isn't any myth around that. Dragons are based off of reptiles and reptiles are cold blooded. They are creatures that cannot produce body heat, so if they were to try to live in colder climates, they die. Since the cold can kill reptiles and Dragons are based off of reptiles, Dragons are weak to Ice attacks.

Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2015
How about Gas-type? I,ve been thinking this since last year, this is the type chart:

Offense:
2x : poison and bug
0,5x : steel, gas, fire, ghost, and grass
0x : none

Defense:
2x : flying, poison and grass (maybe)
0,5x : gas, water, fire and dragon (maybe)
0x : normal, fight and steel

And I don't really agree about Light-type because I think Dark-type is already balanced and it makes Psychic-type is more useless

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
A friend of mine provided a good reason on why Dark is weak to Bug. It's because villains usually call the heroes "pests" or "insects" for foiling their plans.
Its......fine, I guess >___>
Still plausible consindering Psychic weaknesses are some kind of phobia that''l disturb your mind.
There actually isn't any myth around that. Dragons are based off of reptiles and reptiles are cold blooded. They are creatures that cannot produce body heat, so if they were to try to live in colder climates, they die. Since the cold can kill reptiles and Dragons are based off of reptiles, Dragons are weak to Ice attacks.

I just thought that Dragons weak to ice because there is another kind story who tells that too >__>

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

How about Gas-type? I,ve been thinking this since last year, this is the type chart:

Offense:
2x : poison and bug
0,5x : steel, gas, fire, ghost, and grass

Defense:
0,5x : gas, water, fire and dragon (maybe)

And I don't really agree about Light-type because I think Dark-type is already balanced and it makes Psychic-type is more useless

To be frank, Bug doesn't need another weakness.

Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2015
To be frank, Bug doesn't need another weakness.

Okay, I'll fix that:

Offense:
2x : poison, normal and electric (maybe)
0,5x : steel, gas, fire, ice, and grass

Defense:
0,5x : gas, water, fire and electric

Well said. There are some other Pokemon that I would like add to that list. Some are small-spirited legendaries like Mew, Celeby, Jirachi, Lake Trio. And Meloetta would more fitting for Fairy-type than normal. The more we discussed about this, the more I can accept the idea of "Fairy"-type.

The pokemon that you've said is Psychic-types!

Bug resist Fighting because they body are small so Fighting-types is hard to hit it. Steel-type is super effective on rock because steel is more sturdier so its easy to crush rocks. And Ground-types had advantage over Rock because rock is made from ground.

Last edited:

Pokemaster234

Pokemon Trainer
Years
I think they May add a New tipe Because of Slyveon(new Eeveelution)
I don't look any references on Him like FLAREon,JOLTeon,LEAFeon,,GLAZEeon,ect
Like the Light type that You guys mention!

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
The pokemon that you've said is Psychic-types!

Bug resist Fighting because they body are small so Fighting-types is hard to hit it. Steel-type is super effective on rock because steel is more sturdier so its easy to crush rocks. And Ground-types had advantage over Rock because rock is made from ground.

I said it because they indeed more fitting to Fairy type rather than Psychic you know. They are not really "Psychic" compared to Mewtwo, Deoxys, and Cresselia (I think Cresselia fit to be Fairy too).

That reason is......even more silly than Dark weakness to Bug that have been said by Pinkie-Dawn >__>
Now that's what I called made up, the same with Dark<Bug too

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Even after everything that's been said I'd still like to avoid the Fairy typing. ;( Plus! They can easily fit into the other typings as it is, and it doesn't seem like an overly major thing. Maybe a mammal type idk but that wouldn't seem that strangeee.

Pokemaster234

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Even after everything that's been said I'd still like to avoid the Fairy typing. ;( Plus! They can easily fit into the other typings as it is, and it doesn't seem like an overly major thing. Maybe a mammal type idk but that wouldn't seem that strangeee.
Yeah.Knowing that Pokemon Which are based To be Mammals Hatch From Eggs
Weird O_o

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... now about another new type I was thinking about that actually fits Sylveon's name. It's called Natural-type and not to be mistaken by Grass-type, as it includes everything that is not man-made, such as water, animals, ice and plants. And doing things naturally

Offense
x2: Dark and Ghost
1/2: Fire, Electric, Water, Grass and Ice
x0: N/A

Defense
x2: Fire, Electric and Poison
1/2: Water, Grass, Ice, Dark and Ghost

Please let me know if there's any types that might be causing some imbalances. ;)

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
While it's certainly weird that Pokémon that are clearly based off of real life mammals hatch out of eggs, it would be just as weird to have a type listed as "Mammal." It's too much of a broad term in my opinion to be used as a specific type such as Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, etc.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
A nature type sounds reasonable and that chart seems ok.

nature is way to close to grass, might as well make a spark type to go with electric. or explosion to go with fire, pretty pointless.

hehe, got everyone to argue over fairy type. we need a new emblem for spreading rumors. it could still happen but at the moment i think its the new ??? type which has no weakness, no resistance and is x1 effective on everything. you can hack for it in past games and it was what was shown as the type for curse in diamond, correct?

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Mammal type is too broad and considering how Pokemon hatched from egg (even for me it just ludonarrative dissonance), it wouldn;t work from the start comapred to Fairy.
Fairy is kinda for "magical" Pokemon that their power isn't suited for Psychic power of the Mind or Dragon power of the Mystic. Yeah, Fairy type indeed sound more reasonable than "Magic" type >__>
Hm... now about another new type I was thinking about that actually fits Sylveon's name. It's called Natural-type and not to be mistaken by Grass-type, as it includes everything that is not man-made, such as water, animals, ice and plants. And doing things naturally

Offense
x2: Dark and Ghost
1/2: Fire, Electric, Water, Grass and Ice

Defense
x2: Fire, Electric and Poison
1/2: Water, Grass, Ice, Dark and Ghost

Please let me know if there's any types that might be causing some imbalances. ;)
Nah ah, its not about balance or imbalance. Nature is again too broad most element of nature like grass, fire, water, rock, ground, electric, and ice already a type on their own. Normal even sounds like more "Nature" to me.
hehe, got everyone to argue over fairy type. we need a new emblem for spreading rumors. it could still happen but at the moment i think its the new ??? type which has no weakness, no resistance and is x1 effective on everything. you can hack for it in past games and it was what was shown as the type for curse in diamond, correct?
Well, it because somehow Fairy fitted for Pokemon game afterall, considering some state of Legendary like Celebi or Jirachi. For me, I also like Fairy because it sound lot fairer than Light type that tend to Black-White-ing up because of it close association of "holiness and purity".

A3R0D4C7YL

Dark Type Master
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
Types/Pokemon You Wanna See

I'd want to see a Poison/Dragon dragon or a Water/Psychic dolphin
What about u guys? What kind of new pokemon do U wanna see in X and Y?
Light and Sound type doesn't count...THERE WAS AND NEVER WILL BE A Sound OR Light type

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Not only do they need to add LIGHT and SOUND, but they need to make WATER strong against STEEL (because of water damage and rusting), and POISON needs to be buffed up a little. The most obvious strength that should be added is advantage over WATER (water pollution).

I don't see any reason why sound based moves have to remain in a miscellaneous type group when it'd a perfect type in itself. And light can be translated to "holy" or "pure" to counter dark's "evil" translation. In a perfect world for me this would all happen.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Apart from me speculating about Light-type, I've also been thinking that they should also make Steel-type strong against Electric-type Pokémon, since metal conducts electricity and Electric-type only has one type that it's weak against.
Not only do they need to add LIGHT and SOUND, but they need to make WATER strong against STEEL (because of water damage and rusting), and POISON needs to be buffed up a little. The most obvious strength that should be added is advantage over WATER (water pollution).

I don't see any reason why sound based moves have to remain in a miscellaneous type group when it'd a perfect type in itself. And light can be translated to "holy" or "pure" to counter dark's "evil" translation. In a perfect world for me this would all happen.
Hm... as far as I know, not all types of metals rust from oxidation, it's only metals that are close to iron that actually rust. Perhaps there should be a new ability called "Iron Plate", which makes it take x1.5 damage from Water-type attacks, but take 1/4 damage when hit by other attacks except for what it's weak against. ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Apart from me speculating about Light-type, I've also been thinking that they should also make Steel-type strong against Electric-type Pokémon, since metal conducts electricity and Electric-type only has one type that it's weak against.

Hm... as far as I know, not all types of metals rust from oxidation, it's only metals that are close to iron that actually rust. Perhaps there should be a new ability called "Iron Plate", which makes it take x1.5 damage from Water-type attacks, but take 1/4 damage when hit by other attacks except for what it's weak against. ;)

I think you're confused, there, pal. If anything, they'd change it to make Electric suppereffective on Steel. Water conducts electricity, and they chose to make it weak to it because of that. If they reversed that for Steel types, that'd just be bizarre.

I really can't see any new types getting added, there's just no point. Steel and Dark were introduced for the purposes of balance, because of the all-powerfulness of Psychic-types. There isn't really any major unbalance any more.

Plus, even if they did just want to add it for fun, why wouldn't they have added it sooner? Unless they super-saturate this generation with a particular type, any new type would be so rare as to be practically irrelevant. Even Ghost, the least populous type, has 27 Pokemon, which to introduce even near that amount of any one type in the span of a generation would be ridiculous.

There are so many things they could do without adding in new types. Just look at the list of unused type combinations, or reuse type combinations, but base them off of totally different Pokemon with totally different stats. Adding types just seems like a crutch to avoid the creativity of coming up with, for example, a Fire / Grass type.

Back