• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WiFi Shutdown May 20th

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I wasted 32 bucks last week then. I went to buy a used Black 2 from Gamestop to help fill out my pokedex in X, and it turns out a used Black 2 is only 8 bucks less than a brand new one which is 39.99 LOL. But that's not the problem here. I went with 50 bucks so I can buy a pre paid nintendo card to buy pokebank, turns out they only sell 20 dollar e-shop cards. so i got screwed over, and didn't get Pokebank. So in the end, I jsut grinded the GTS, and eventually completed my pokedex without the need of black 2 transfers -.-

Also, now this news..kinda hurts. Money dosen't come easy for me too, so this is what hurts the most, I really needed a new mouse so i can play league competitivly, but instead i chose to buy black 2, and now i hear it will be pretty much useless come may 20th. Sigh..

Well, I'll prolly try to get the shiny Dratini/Gible that alder gives out in black 2, or is that a event? I don't recall. It's prolly the only good thing that can come from this black 2.

Obviously I'm very late in seeing this, but just in case this is still in question, it's only "worthless" if your sole goal was trading between it and other games only over the internet. You can still get the pokemon from this game and use it with the Poketransfer to send stuff from this game to X or Y. On top of that, to send pokemon from Gen 4 to Gen 5 you would need access to a second DS, so really, unless you want to trade or battle online, getting the older games is not a waste at all, you can still send pokemon from gen 4 all the way up to the current gen, and if you have access to an old DS with the GBA slot, you can go from gen 3 all the way up.

Years
This is such disappointing news, like I could properly work around it (Well I'll have to now as it's already shut down) but I haven't even had a chance to finish W2 & B2 pokedex's and has the Wi-Fi shut down for the Wii as well meaning my Animal Crossing: City Folk is completely useless?

Years
As I play in XY, all that I care about is... Nothing. There was nothing (except Smash bros, which I didn't even play much online anyways) I played with WIFI for.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I am unaffected by this change due to the fact that I typically trade on the most current generation. Since I can still transfer from older games to X/Y, it's no real big loss. Just a bit of a shame if I decided to play those older games and wanted some specific Pokemon in my team that I couldn't ordinarily get. But I still have a large variety of choice. And I'm starting to get a suspicion that all the older Pokemon games will be remade to be compatible with Pokemon Bank anyway.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Because of such shutdown, it's impossible to complete the Pokedex...

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Because of such shutdown, it's impossible to complete the Pokedex...
If you are talking about legendaries, then yes, you cannot trade for legendaries now between 4th and 5th generation games. You will have to do what people with even older systems do now: hack them. Just don't import the hacked SoulSilver Route 29 Jirachi into the 6th generation as it will be blocked at the gate and forbidden entry; you can import it to the 5th generation, however.

Fortunately I completed my Black Dex in 2012 and you can still find local friends with completed Dexes to obtain anything you need. It's just Wifi that's gone.

Years
This was sad to hear considering I played a lot of Wii games online, but there was a group of guys who actually piggy-backed off of whatever servers Nintendo used and were able to get you online with a certain patch (so far for games like MKW and SSBB), apparently they are working on doing something with DS games. Of course, it's not the ideal way to play and not Nintendo supported but it let's you play and I'd love to see this for older Pokemon games in the future since I have a soft spot for Gen 4 competitive battling.

Back