• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon GB Plus

Years
I didn't intend on showing this project publicly so soon but I've run into some personal conflicts that have changed my plans. Here goes...

Pokémon GB Plus

This has been a project I've been working on in my free time as a throwback to the original 1996 Pokémon games on GameBoy. There are two key general aspects of what I am trying to accomplish with this project. I will describe these below.

Firstly, despite the game being written entirely from scratch, it's supposed to feel exactly like playing the original. I accomplished this by coding the graphics in software for palette swapping effects and other manipulation that is only natively capable by the GameBoy's ppu. I managed to do this efficient enough that I'm getting ~1000 frames per second on my cheap laptop. In order to get authenticity of the GameBoy's audio I did it through emulation of the GB's apu and can playback the original audio from the game. Regarding the game itself ,most of the data structures are similar to the original design of the game. This was important to maintain the authenticity of the original GameBoy feel.

Now that the tech babble is out of the way...

Secondly, from a design standpoint it offers a different (but not completely) experience from the original game (New world, new story, etc). The player has a selection of the 3 characters to choose from: Red, Green, Blue (excuse the unfinished sprites in this post; I've spent more time coding than pixel-ing).
trainer_frontsprites.png

Most of the story is similar for each character but there are some differences the player will experience exclusively for each character. I'm currently in the processes of writing the scripting stuff that will check for a character id flag to trigger different events. I'm not going to reveal the plot or areas of the game other than this; that ruins the potential experience.

Pokésprites have been narrowed down to a selection of my personal favorites from both the Japanese and International releases. For some of the really poor sprites I'd figure I could draw them myself but maintain the original art style. IMO, most of backsprites are terrible so I figure I'd replace about 90% of them.
frontsprite.png
pokebacksprite.png

Regarding having Pokémon from outside the original 151...I've given it thought but haven't committed to the idea.

There are some other design choices relating to balancing, adding attacks and some other modern changes to the game, but I've spent more time working on the overworld part of the game.

Here's a video demonstrating the game in it's (somewhat) current state:

Excuse the awkward palette issues. I was tinkering with colorizing the game and I overwrote some data in the files which screwed it up. Also the maps are from the original game but are only used from testing.
---

Now this leaves me to the reason why I'm posting this...I'm conflicted whether I want to continue this due to personal reasons. If there is no interest of people in this project then it I feel like it's pointless for me to work on it. I want to move on to some cool stuff regarding realistic 3d wave physics which I could actually benefit from career-wise and the 16-bit action RPG that has been in hiatus for a while.

Back