• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Games of 2013

Years
So it's November now, and the year is slowly coming to end. Several games have been released around the world and there have been some amazing ones and some not so good ones. Obviously, there are still a few "big" games yet to be released.

Which games that have been released this year would you consider your favorites and why? What do you expect from games that are yet to be released? Do you think you will have more favorites?

TY

This year: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm...

The story was just amazing and kept me playing the game for hours, interacting with all the Zerg characters. I think Blizzard did a great job with its cutscenes and story plot, making the game really fun and enjoyable for any RTS fan.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Kinda early, don't you think?

Anyway, so far top 5 are...
Spoiler:

Not feeling well today so I don't feel like explaining my choices. I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY thread for that and when I have played more games. Browser games count right?

I'd have mentioned DKCR 3D but alas, it's a port, and I played the original Wii game before this year. Year has been pretty good so far with my only disappointment (even though its a BIG one) being Fire Emblem: Awakening.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
PC - Civilization V
XBOX360 - Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations
NINTENDO DS - Pokémon Black 2

TouretteUnicorn

Professionally unprofessional
Years
My top 5 games for this year are;

1: ) Pokemon X and Y
2: ) Naruto Ninja Storm 3
3: ) Skyrim Legendary Edition
4: ) The Last Of Us
5: ) Resident Evil Revelations

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
1) Saints Row 4, it really made itself stand away from its predecessors and it stood out well.
2) State of Decay, it is literally playing the walking dead but sandbox mode.
3) ArmA 3, a realistic military simulator that is realistic and full of trivia about stuff.
4) Gta 5, it was so well done.
5) Walking Dead 400 days. great DLC

Floette

Fairy Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 14, 2013
For me, it's a close thing between Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Pokémon X.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
1. Persona 4 Golden (European fans got it this year, so yeah.) [Vita]
2. Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers (Amazing import from a dead-forgotten console.) [3DS]
3. Shin Megami Tensei: IV (Despite not owning the game myself, I have a wonderful foreign friend who lend me lend his handheld console and the game.) [3DS]
4. Muramara Rebirth (Despite the game being extremely short, it was one amazing experience.) [Vita]
5. Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention (This is my first Disgaea game and I freakin' loved it.) [Vita]

Bravely Default [3DS] would made this list if the thread came a bit later, it's coming out 6 December. (Europe fans ONLY. Feels good to say this for once. ;D)
Too bad I can't say anything about God Eater 2 [Vita/PSP] so far, even with the Demo out right now, we'll probably won't see the game here till late 2014, amazing sequel so far.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
1.pokemon X and Y
2. Animal crossing: New leaf
3. Luigi's mansion 2

I would add more games if I got more games this year than 3

Years
Kinda early, don't you think?

Anyway, so far top 5 are...
Spoiler:

Not feeling well today so I don't feel like explaining my choices. I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY thread for that and when I have played more games. Browser games count right?

I'd have mentioned DKCR 3D but alas, it's a port, and I played the original Wii game before this year. Year has been pretty good so far with my only disappointment (even though its a BIG one) being Fire Emblem: Awakening.
What was your disappointment in Fire Emblem? I've been wanting to try it out!

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I haven't played all the games I wanted to this year, but from the ones I have I guess I can create some kind of ranking:

1. Bioshock Infinite - brilliant everything. The story was gripping, the art style interesting and beautiful, and the characters were great themselves. Probably my favourite game of all time now.

2. The Last of Us - kinda the same reasons as BI really. Really enjoyed the game overall, and a good zombie bashing is never disappointing.

3. GTA 5 - haven't got the actual game but played more than enough of it. The story was hilarious at times and the whole experience was just plain mad fun.

Erm... that's all I can think of ahaha, been kinda broke this year so that's why the list is short.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
What was your disappointment in Fire Emblem? I've been wanting to try it out!
If you have never played a Fire Emblem game before, then by all means, try it out and have fun.

If you have however, I'd be weary. Not to say you shouldn't try it out, but don't come in expecting what you normally want from the series - a hardcore, if you will, strategic strategy RPG. Awakening is neither strategic nor hard, but very grindy. On top of that, the map design is poor, mainly after the first few chapters which are mostly consistent of hordes of enemy units and back ups ganging up on you. And that's not even alarming by any means because it's far too easy to overpower a character who can take them all by themselves. I also have my qualms against the nonsensical story and one dimensional characters. Lucina, for example, is pretty insignificant to the plot and a sitting duck throughout the game for the most parts, despite being a "main" character and a heavily advertised one. The support conversations hardly show any character developments as well despite all the praise it gets, especially compared to Persona's Social Links which are similar but much more properly done. The best characters by far are the ones that aren't normally recruitable, such as the first two main villains and Basilio/Flavia. Course, there's more, but eh.

Years
If you have never played a Fire Emblem game before, then by all means, try it out and have fun.

If you have however, I'd be weary. Not to say you shouldn't try it out, but don't come in expecting what you normally want from the series - a hardcore, if you will, strategic strategy RPG. Awakening is neither strategic nor hard, but very grindy. On top of that, the map design is poor, mainly after the first few chapters which are mostly consistent of hordes of enemy units and back ups ganging up on you. And that's not even alarming by any means because it's far too easy to overpower a character who can take them all by themselves. I also have my qualms against the nonsensical story and one dimensional characters. Lucina, for example, is pretty insignificant to the plot and a sitting duck throughout the game for the most parts, despite being a "main" character and a heavily advertised one. The support conversations hardly show any character developments as well despite all the praise it gets, especially compared to Persona's Social Links which are similar but much more properly done. The best characters by far are the ones that aren't normally recruitable, such as the first two main villains and Basilio/Flavia. Course, there's more, but eh.
Yes I've played Fire Emblem games before. If it isn't as good as previous ones, I may let it pass... I've been looking for another good game to play on 3DS, to go with X and Y and Ocarina of time. Any suggestions? :)

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Yes I've played Fire Emblem games before. If it isn't as good as previous ones, I may let it pass... I've been looking for another good game to play on 3DS, to go with X and Y and Ocarina of time. Any suggestions? :)
I'd still say go ahead try it, even if the fan reaction is pretty heavily mixed. You got some FE fans who think it's one of the best in the series (if not the best), and some that find it hard to consider it a Fire Emblem game. It's up to you, really.

But I think Luigi's Mansion 2 is one of the best 3DS games, and probably my Game of the Year so far (something I didn't mention in my first post in this thread, I noticed). If you haven't played the Wii game of Donkey Kong Country Returns and don't mind 30fps, try the 3DS port! Are you right handed? If so, Kid Icarus Uprising is probably the best 3DS game by far. (You'd have some troubles playing and getting used to it if left handed, but I know some people who are left handed who seriously love the game anyway.)

Years
You might wanna take this elsewhere because it's drifting away from the topic of the thread.

Anyway, I've been really impressed by several games this year. 2013 was lining up to be a good year for games and I think it delivered!

GTA V definitely has to be up there with one of the best games this year. The online, even though glitchy, is very amusing. In general, the whole game seems a huge step up from IV and there's something about the game that makes it harder to put the controller down.

Bioshock Infinite, even though I didn't play it too much because I don't own a copy of the game. Me and my friend spent quite a lot of time playing it at his house which is why I didn't see reason to buy the game myself. I like it's uniqueness in terms of setting and storyline, everything about it was amazing.

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2013
well even though it didnt come out this year, i started playign in 2013 and it is by far the best game ever. Dota 2.

Back