• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue Screen Of Death :(

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
tumblr_inline_mwm3a8gVkC1qilzv5.jpg

BSOD as seen in Windows 8/8.1

At some point, when the computer was having the issue and becoming unresponsive, we are treated with this error screen, which is dubbed Blue Screen of Death, or BSOD, for short. When was the last time you got BSOD, and how often you got one?

pkmin3033

I haven't seen a BSOD since it looked like this:
Windows_9X_BSOD.png

I think it was about five, maybe six years ago? I was on my first laptop, so it has to have been at least five years. My problems tend to be more viral in nature. Things slow down, outright refuse to open or update, etc. I've got a rather good anti-malware program now, and Windows Defender is always on (I used to turn it off; I got impatient with the background updates. xD) but stuff happens from time to time. Nothing quite so debilitating or outright terrifying as a BSOD, though.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
Ugh, BSOD was my biggest enemy back when I still used my old laptop a few years back. I would get one at random within every five minutes, and the tension of seeing that ugly blue screen always made me nervous as heck. Glad I finally got a new laptop, though!

Years
It was probably in 2008 while we were still using our desktop computer at home. But now when we use laptops they're not as common. Sometimes my computer will just freeze and then restart itself instead.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
omg I haven't gotten one in so long. Not since I got a mac laptop. I used to get them quite a bit on other computers. It was soooo frustrating. I'd be right in the middle of something than all of a sudden... BAM! Blue screen of death pops right up like... fuck. I can't remember when I last gotten though. My memory sucks.

Years
I think it's been over a year since I've gotten one. Still not even sure why I got the last ones that I did, but as I recall it happened a few times not too long after I had to wipe my drive and reinstall my OS (since Windows just randomly stopped working on me one day). It was a bit worrisome since otherwise I never get blue screens on Windows 7.

I'm not complaining though, I remember having a computer back in the early 2000s that ran Windows 98 and would blue screen anywhere from daily to once a week (up until the hard drive just finally died one day). Now that was annoying and I would tear my hair out if I went back to that.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I've had a couple about a year ago, mainly due to some DualShock3 drivers doing naughty things.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Several times or fewer. Mostly happen when I ran too much program including heavy ones like Poser Pro and other time. Graphical Gremilns causing BSOD

Years
I dare anybody that's running Windows Vista to end their csrss.exe process, and see the results. ;)

Spoiler: Please Read!
Don't do this. It will give you a BSoD. Don't say I didn't warn you either. The message above was simply to convey humor and nothing more.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
There is actually a really funny story to go with this! One day at school, the teacher who does the computer class in grade 10, 11 and 12 came into my 8th grade class to do a demonstration. (This was during September of 2013) He took apart a computer and showed us what was inside. It seemed pretty cool and I thought it would be a great idea to try it myself. So I went home and took off my computer cover. First I took out the Floppy disk drive followed by the DVD drive. I saw how dirty the inside was and I decided to clean it. So I went and got the vacuum and started vacuuming the computer components. I then found the Hard Drive. I pulled it out and started vacuuming it. I put everything back in and I put the panel back on. Once I started the computer, I got THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!! I didn't know what to do so I left it there. A few weeks later my dad came downstairs to use the Desktop since his laptop wasn't working. He turned it on and THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH appeared. He started yelling at me and told me to fix it! I told him no since "I didn't really DO anything"(air quotes). We went to a computer repair place and the guy said the problem was with the hard drive! Surprising I know. Since then, my parents have never really trusted me with computers. I even broke my parent's laptop shortly after, but that's a different story for another day! I guess my parents aren't mad anymore because on the 28th of December 2014, I bought the bae! (A computer, not a person) It was love at first sight!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I last had a stop error in January. It was an IRQL error, something my system seems to experience at random. May be related to the age of my sound card, or be due to bugs introduced (and later fixed) as the nVIDIA driver versions march on.

The Windows 8 error screen is atrocious — there's almost no information!

Last edited:

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
It must be well over a year since I last experienced a BSOD. In my case, they're usually always driver related. Other times, they tend to stem from a mobile broadband usb that I've contemplated throwing out several times, since it really is useless.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Thankfully, I don't ever recall running into any Blue Screen of Death errors before.

However, there is something that would come close, and this would be my computer suddenly shutting down after installing some software of sorts (I wish I were able to put my finger on its name, but unfortunately, I'm not), and not having much chance of turning it back on without performing a system restore.

At that time, I was relatively new to all this--although I was a bit of experienced Windows user, I've never had to go through with any of this trouble. Due to this, I was slightly afraid as to how I'd get around to this issue. Luckily, I was able to get through the problem eventually by following all steps that had been provided on the screen; things seemed to have been slightly more easy than expected.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Back when I was in high school the laptops that they loaned us got the BSOD at least once a month. They were complete and total crap. Not only were they poorly made (you had to send in your laptop and get a completely new one at least once every 3 or 4 months regardless of how well you tried to take care of it) but they could hardly run a thing without flipping out and crashing. Those were dark days...

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Switch to Linux. At least the kernel will tell you meaningful information that you can give to an expert at the absolute minimum :D

I don't think even Microsoft can do anything with a bunch of memory pointers that a BSoD prints out lol, at least not anything that'll help you with it

Back