• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV training guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
This is a guide about EV training and good EV training locations. The first part was done by Lemonade. The second part was done by me. You may contribute in the second part by posting places you think are good to train. In the case of trainers, please post their names, all their Pokémon and their location. People who have contributed to the second part are Eureka1, Arkarian, C&C, Samson, Lemonade, mithos kid, Phanima, Haowakeorden, tragik, batteryman_AA, Dragonzilla25, Smarties-chan, sims796 and me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

EV Training

What are EVs?
First off, what are EVs is the first question you'll ask. EVs are called Effort Values. Effort Values are given for defeating Pokemon. The Effort Values depend on a Pokemon. For example, Starly gives 1 Speed Effort Value for defeating it. Once you get 4 Effort Values in a stat, it will increase by 1 when you level up. So, if you kill 4 Starlys, you'll get +1 to your speed stat. The maximum EVs a Pokemon can get in a single stat is 255. This will make your stat increase by about 63. When you're level 100, and you've killed Starlys to get 255 speed EVs, and compare yourself to a level 100 who hasn't been EV trained in Speed you'll have about 63 more speed than the other. The maximum EVs you can get total is 510. Meaning you can max out 2 stats on your Pokemon.

How can I speed up EV training?
You might be asking, killing 255 Starlys isn't worth the time of getting the 63 boost in speed. So there are a few items that can boost EV training. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs gained from a Pokemon. When your Pokemon battling another is holding the Macho Brace it will gain double of the EVs that the Pokemon would normally give off. Say you have a Chimchar, and it's fighting a Starly, Chimchar is holding the Macho Brace and it defeats the Starly, the Chimchar will not only get 1 Speed Effort Value, but 2 because it is holding the Macho Brace. There are a few more items that help with EV training as well. I'll list them below.

Items that boost EV training
Power Anklet --- boosts Speed EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give speed EVs the Power Anklet gives +4 in speed. For example, if you defeat a Starly you'll get 5 EVs in speed, one for initially defeating the Starly and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Anklet.
Power Bracer --- boosts Attack EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give attack EVs the Power Bracer gives +4 in attack. For example, if you defeat a Machop you'll get 5 EVs in attack, one for initially defeating the Machop and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Bracer.
Power Weight --- boosts HP EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give HP EVs the Power Weight gives +4 in HP. For example, if you defeat a Bidoof you'll get 5 EVs in HP, one for initially defeating the Bidoof and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Weight.
Power Belt --- boosts Defense EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give Defense EVs the Power Belt gives +4 in Defense. For example, if you defeat a Geodude you'll get 5 EVs in Defense, one for initially defeating the Geodude and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Belt.
Power Lens --- boosts Sp. Attack EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give Sp. Attack EVs the Power Lens gives +4 in Sp. Attack. For example, if you defeat a Ghastly you'll get 5 EVs in Sp. Attack, one for initially defeating the Ghastly and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Lens.
Power Band --- boosts Sp. Defense EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give Sp. Defense EVs the Power Band gives +4 in Sp. Defense. For example, if you defeat a Tentacool you'll get 5 EVs in Sp. Defense, one for initially defeating the Tentacool and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Band.

Each of these Power Items can be bought at the Battle Tower for 16 Battle Points each.

Those items like Calcium and Iron, it says they boost stats, does that have to do with EV training?
In fact those items do. Every time you use one of those items you get 10 EVs. For example, HP Up, it will give 10 EVs per every one you use. You can only use a maximum of 10 each. If you use 10 HP Ups you'll get 100 EVs in HP, leaving you with only 155 more to go to reach your maximum EVs in HP. The items that boost this are:

HP Up --- Hit points
Protein --- Attack
Iron --- Defense
Carbos --- Speed
Calcium --- Sp. Attack
Zinc --- Sp. Defense

You can find these items throughout the game, Pickup ability, buying them at Veilstone department store for 9,800 each, or using the Dowsing Machine App on your Poketch.

I have a Pokemon holding Exp. Share does it gain EVs too?
Yes the Pokemon holding Exp. Share gains the same EVs as the one who's doing all the battling. If you have a Charizard in the front of your team who's killing Starlys, and you also have a Squirtle in your team holding Exp. Share, both the Charizard and Squirtle will get 1 Speed Effort Value. Now, if you have the Charizard holding Macho Brace, and the Squirtle holding Exp. Share, the Squirtle will not get the same EVs as Charizard. Charizard gets 2 Speed EVs because it is holding Macho Brace, but Squirtle only still gets 1 Speed EV.

I obtained a virus called PokéRus (PKRS) what does it do?
PKRS helps with EV training. When you go to heal your Pokemon at the Pokecenter Nurse Joy tells you it's a virus and will go away eventually. Having PKRS though, is a good thing. It doubles the EVs you get from a battle. It works basically the same as a Macho Brace, but you don't have to have a hold item, it just happens. You can hold items such as Macho Brace and have PKRS at the same time to make EV training even faster, but I'll explain that later.

How do I get PKRS?
PKRS is randomly obtained by defeating wild Pokemon or capturing them. You have a really rare chance of getting PKRS, it's even rarer than finding a shiny Pokemon in the wild, which is a 1 in 8192 chance of seeing one. To keep PKRS for a vast amount of time, put the Pokemon with PKRS in your PC before midnight. This allows it to not go away. You can pass PKRS from one Pokemon to the next. If you have a Pokemon in your first spot of your party and it has PKRS, and you have a Pokemon in the second spot without PKRS, eventually after defeating wild Pokemon the second Pokemon in your party will also get PKRs. Now if you have a Pokemon in the PC with PKRS you could always just pull it out and spread it to someone else to increase EV training.

My Pokemon doesn't have PKRS anymore, instead it has a smiley face in it's stats. What does it mean?
Don't worry, this only means that the PKRS wore off. However you still have the effects of getting double the EVs from a value, you just can't spread PKRS anymore. So that's why it's always great to keep a spare Pokemon in your PC with it who can spread it.

Now, here's where I will explain how the PKRS + Item Combo works.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 1 EV: Macho Brace + PKRS. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get from a Pokemon who gives 1 EV, making it 2. Then since you have PKRS, it doubles again making the EVs you get is 4. So from defeating a single Starly while having PKRS and holding Macho Brace you will get 4 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 1 EV: Power Item + PKRS. The Power Item adds +4 EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. So if you defeat a Pokemon who gives 1 EV, then add + 4 it's 5 EVs from that single Pokemon. Then you have PKRS, which then doubles the 5 EVs to 10. So by defeating a single Starly, holding the Power Anklet, and having PKRS gives 10 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs: Macho Brace + PKRS. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get from a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs, making it 4. Then since you have PKRS, it doubles again making the EVs you get is 8. So from defeating a single Staravia while having PKRS and holding Macho Brace you will get 8 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs: Power Item + PKRS. The Power Item adds +4 EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. So if you defeat a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs, then add +4 it's 6 EVs from that single Pokemon. Then you have PKRS which then doubles the 6 EVs to 12. So by defeating a single Staravia, holding the Power Anklet and having PKRS gives 12 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs: Macho Brace + PKRS. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get from a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs, making it 6. Then since you have PKRs, it doubles again making the EVs you get is 12. So from defeating a single Staraptor while having PKRS and holding the Macho Brace you will get 12 Attack EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs: Power Item + PKRS. The Power Item adds +4 EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. So if you defeat a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs, then add + 4 it's 7 EVs from that single Pokemon. Then you have PKRS which then doubles the 7 EVs to 14. So by defeating a single Staraptor, holding the Power Bracer and having PKRS gives you 14 Attack EVs.

How do I know how many EVs my Pokemon has?
The only way to know how many EVs your Pokemon has is either by writing it down on a piece of paper and calculating it yourself or using the Counter App. on your Poketch. However, when you are done EV training there is a lady in the Sunnyshore city mart who will give your Pokemon an Effort Ribbon for completing it's EV training.

What level should I start EV training at?
You can EV train at any level, but it's best to start out at a lower level so that you don't have to worry about not being able to EV train at level 100 anymore. When you EV train you don't get all the EVs right when you level up. It spans out until you reach level 100. So once you're level 100 it's almost imposible to EV train. You can EV train, but there's a trick that has to do with your PC, but I'm unsure about it, so we'll leave that out.

I messed up on my EV training, how can I restart?-Well in the game there's special berries that most people call "Correction Berries". These Correction Berries are berries such as Pomeg. It makes a Pokemon happier, but lowers it's HP EVs by 10. You can keep using these berries until you get the message. "Pokemon became friendlier, however it's base HP cannot go lower." That means that your EVs in that stat have been reset to zero and you can EV train again, this time without messing up hopefully.

That basically covers all of EV training. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. :)

Written by Lemonade

Good EV training locations

Wild Pokémon

HP
Route 212 (Pastoria Side). While surfing, you can find many Wooper (1 HP) and some Quagsire (2 HP).
In the ground, Wooper (1 HP) and Bibarel (2 Attack) are very common there. Although there are Kricketune (2 Attack) and Roselia (2 Sp. Atk) too.
Fuego Ironworks. Gastrodon (2 HP) and Shellos (1HP) can be found here while Wingull (1 Speed), Shinx (1 Attack), Luxio (2 Attack) and Pachirisu (1 Speed) should be ignored.
Route 221. In Pearl, Gastrodon (2 HP) will be pretty common and there will be Sudowoodo (2 Defense). In Diamond, some Gastrodon (2 HP) are replaced by Stunky (1 Speed) and Skuntank (2 HP) The rest are Roselia (2 Sp. Attack), Shellos (1 HP), Floatzel (2 Speed) and Wingull (1 Speed).

Attack
Route 229. Gyarados (2 Attack) are the only Pokémon to be found while fishing.
Twinleaf Town. While fishing with super rod, Gyarados (2 Attack) and Seaking (2 Attack) are the only Pokémon to be found.
Route 210 (Celestic Side). You will find Bibarel (2 Attack), Machop (1 Attack) and Machoke (2 Attack) at the same rate as Psyduck (1 Sp. Attack), Meditite (Speed), Hoothoot (1 HP) and Noctowl (2 HP). Note that during the morning and day, Hoothoot and Noctowl will be replaced by Meditite, making it the most common.

Defense
Ruin Maniac Cave. Geodude (1 Defense) are the most common, and the only other Pokémon here is Hippopotas (1 Defense).
Iron Island B2F (Riley's Room)/B3F. The common Pokémon here are Graveler (2 Defense) and Onix (1 Defense), with the other being Golbat (2 Speed), Steelix (2 Defense) and Geodude (1 Defense), who almost never appears.
Oreburgh Mine. Geodude (1 Defense) are common here. You can also find Onix (1 Defense) and Zubat (1 Speed) a bit less often.

Sp. Attack
Old Chateau. Gastly (1 Sp. Attack) are the only Pokémon found here while any GBA game in Slot 2 allows you to rarely find Haunter (2 Sp. Attack) and Gengar (3 Sp. Attack). The latter is only at the room with the eyes on the wall.
Resort Area. When surfing, Golduck (2 Sp. Attack) can be found.
Route 204. When surfing, Psyduck (1 Sp. Attack) appears often with Golduck (2 Sp. Attack) ocassionally.

Sp. Defense
Route 223. Tentacruel (2 Sp. Defense) and Pelipper (2 Defense) are common, while there are few Mantyke (1 Sp. Defense).
Any other surfing area. The most common Pokémon is Tentacool (1 Sp. Defense).

Speed
Route 226. There's plenty of Fearow and Raticate (2 points each) and sometimes Spearow and Rattata (1 point each). You may rarely find Machoke (2 Attack) or Golduck (2 Attack). It's better at day, because Banette (2 Attack) appear frequently at night.
Victory Road B1F. When surfing, Golbat (2 Speed) are the only Pokémon to be found.
Trophy Garden. Though Roselia (2 Sp. Attack) are more common that others, there are Pichu (1 Speed), Pikachu (2 Speed), Staravia (2 Speed) and Kricketune (2 Attack). Note that, during the morning, Pichu are more common; in the day, Staravia; and during the night, Kricketune; though neither of these affect the number of Roselia.
Route 221. In Pearl, Gastrodon (2 HP) will be pretty common and there will be Sudowoodo (2 Defense). In Diamond, some Gastrodon (2 HP) are replaced by Stunky (1 Speed) and Skuntank (2 HP) The rest are Roselia (2 Sp. Attack), Shellos (1 HP), Floatzel (2 Speed) and Wingull (1 Speed).

VS Seeker

HP
Route 209. Cowgirl Shelley, just south of the running couple, has five Bidoof (1 HP).
Route 213. Tuber Jared, at the south-east corner of the map, has three Shellos (1 HP) which may evolve into Gastrodon (2 HP).

Attack
Route 205 (Eterna Side). Fisherman Andrew, in the wooden bridge, the second person from the right, has 6 Magikarp (1 Speed), which can become Gyarados (2 Attack).
Route 222. Rich Boy Trec, near Route 214, has a Luxio (2 Attack) that can evolve into Luxray (3 Attack). Conveniently, you can get a lot of money from him.
Route 222. Fisherman Alec, along the coast, the last fisherman to the left, has two Gyarados (2 Attack).

Defense

Sp. Attack
Route 214. Collector Douglas, just beforing reaching the lakefront from Veilstone, has three Roselia (2 Sp. Attack).

Sp. Defense
Route 210 (Celestic Side). Ninja Boy Davido, across a bike bridge, has a Dustox (3 Sp. Def)
Route 230. Swimmer F Sophia, in the middle of the sea, has a Mantyke (1 Sp. Def) and a Mantine (2 Sp. Def).
Route 230. Swimmer F Mallory, spinning in top of the rocks, has a Seel (1 Sp. Def) and a Dewgong (2 Sp. Def)

Speed
Route 211 (Eterna Side). Ninja Boy Zach, a the top right corner of the grass, has three Zubats (1 Speed) which then become Golbat (2 Speed) and Crobat (3 Speed).
Route 205 (Eterna Side). Fisherman Andrew, in the wooden bridge, the second person from the right, has 6 Magikarp (1 Speed).

Last edited:

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 21, 2023
erm.. dont you mean EVs

'HP:
~Shellos at Valley Windworks north of ignore the Buizel (+1 each)
~Gastrodons at Fuego Ironworks or Route 213 ignore Floatzel (+2 each)
~Gastrodons outside of Pal Park (+2 each)

Attack:
~Kricketune and Bidarel at route 212 (rainy route) (+2 each)
~Bibarels and Machop (2 EVs and 1 EV respectively) Route 208
~Machokes and Snovers at Acuity Lakefront (2 Evs and 1 EV respectively)

Defense:
~Cave with Geodudes and Hippopotas off route 214 (+1 each) (Ruin Maniac's Cave)
~Onix and Gravelers on Iron Island in the second room ignore Golbats (+1 Onix) (+2 Gravelers)
~Geodudes and Onix in the first room (Oreburgh Mines) (+1 each)

Special Attack:
~Gastly at the Old Chateau in Eterna Forest (+1 each) (Haunters +2) (Gengars +3)
*Need GBA Game in GBA slot and National Pokedex for Haunters and Gengars*
~Golducks surfing in the water at the Resort Area (+2 each)

Special Defense:
~Surfing any ocean/sea area for Tentacools (+1each)
*North of 8th gym town has been good ignore Pellipers* (Mantykes +1)

Speed:
~Raticates and Fearows Northwest of the Fight Area (+2 each) *name?*
~Zubats in a cave (+1 each)
~Golbats in Victory Road (in water, you only find Golbats) (+2 each)'

Eureka1

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 21, 2023
I wrote your info including any Pokémon found in that area and its Effort yield points. I'm still lacking information about the Resort Area. Are only Golduck found there?

I don't know what I was thinking....Can the title be changed?

yeah, just edit your first post

anemos

Insomniac
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 24, 2010
I saw the thread title, and was gonna ask if you meant EVs, i'm a bit too late. (hello, this is my first post)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Just for you guys' information, you can't actually change the thread title yourselves. =/

But yeah, I've changed the name now.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
Just for you guys' information, you can't actually change the thread title yourselves. =/

OK. Thanks, I thought changing the first post would work.

EDIT: I still need information about the Resort Area wild Pokémon. If someone had the Pokémon and their rarity, it would help. More useful locations are also welcome. And please can this get stickied?

Cema

Dis are an wittey tietl.
Years
  • Age 31
  • NJ
  • Seen Jul 31, 2013
Again, I think a link to my tutorial would help. Stick it at the bottom of the first post, or at the top, as an introduction. It also includes natures and such. Here is the link.

Eureka1

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 21, 2023

ah, i just presumed.. i can on other forums so..

nevermind

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Just for a note, I've stickied this thread since we think it'd be helpful for people who want to know where to EV train.

Arkarian

Utterly Damaged Particle
Years
Can't believe no one's mentioned the garden of the Pokémon Mansion (beneath Hearthome City) yet. It's the single best place imo to train for SpAtk, as there are a bunch of Roselias (2 SpAtk each) around level twenty, making Macho Brace training a cinch for even low-level Pokés-- 4 SpAtk EVs per Roselia.

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 19, 2010
Why no one mentioning vs seeker trainer? sure it's need 100 step but some are really worth it IMO. Like in route right of eterna, there is a ninjaboy having three zubat(+1 speed) which later become one golbat (+2 speed, lv 51) and 2 crobat (+3 speed, lv 52 and 53 IIRC)

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
special attack: there's a collector with 3 roselia. he's on the route below the city with the Supermarket or w/e it is. he's the on the southern-most part of the route before you reach the lakefront. just use vs seeker to battle him over.

speed: the route where the Pal Park is. floatzel are common there.

defense: victory road -- graveler and steelix. there is a collector with graveler but i forgot where =/. also, any route where Sudowoodo is common -- sudowoodo gives +2 defense evs.

attack: the route that is on the east of the town where cynthia's mother/grandmother lives. there are wild machop and machoke there. also, there is a trainer with 1 machoke that you can run back and forth from the patch of grass to that Black Belt trainer with Vs Seeker. the black belt trainer will be the second trainer you see heading east (first you will see a female bird trainer, and then you will see him up a staircase). you will need fog clear.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
Can't believe no one's mentioned the garden of the Pokémon Mansion (beneath Hearthome City) yet. It's the single best place imo to train for SpAtk, as there are a bunch of Roselias (2 SpAtk each) around level twenty, making Macho Brace training a cinch for even low-level Pokés-- 4 SpAtk EVs per Roselia.

Actually, it's better for Speed. I put it anyway.

Why no one mentioning vs seeker trainer? sure it's need 100 step but some are really worth it IMO. Like in route right of eterna, there is a ninjaboy having three zubat(+1 speed) which later become one golbat (+2 speed, lv 51) and 2 crobat (+3 speed, lv 52 and 53 IIRC)

Thanks for the idea. A "VS Seeker" was added, as well as your info.

speed: the route where the Pal Park is. floatzel are common there.
I had it in HP, but I think it could serve as well in Speed.

defense: victory road -- graveler and steelix. there is a collector with graveler but i forgot where =/.

Can you search for said trainer? It will help if at least you had the location.

also, any route where Sudowoodo is common -- sudowoodo gives +2 defense evs.

The thing is that Sudowoodo is not common in any route, and most of the time, there aren't other defense-ev-yield Pokémon, so no location with Sudowoodo is worth to actually train Defense.

The rest of your information was added, Samson.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
Route 229 there's 100% chance of finding wild Gyarados using the super rod. Gyarados give +2 Attack.

And as for this Gyarados and the Resort Area Golduck, here's a source right here: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/evtraining.php?id=diamondpearl

Thanks for the link and info. I edited the Attack section erasing one location, because it now has 4, which is a lot. I erased Route 217, which was the worst of the 5.

I forgot to ask. Does anybody know if the Roselia mentioned evolve into Roserade? It happens with Golbat/Machoke, but I'm kind of doubting because it needs a special (and new) stone. I don't use the VS Seeker much, but if any does, can you confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back