• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First rule of Fight Club: Don't talk about Fight Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
What they need to do is make a new cycle of names instead of going around the same few sets over and over again. The only time they make a new name is when a hurricane keeps its name for ever and ever.

Well... least we're talking about a specific type of weather and not the usual 'it's currently ______ in my area'

droomph

weeb
Years
It's currently dark in my area

Yeah, I guess they should. But then again - they're scientists, not artists...no creative skills there, except for the ones who love music and movies. Well...maybe, but who has the time to create new names?

I know, they should have multicultural names. Like who wouldn't want to be showered on by Hurricane Shaniequah?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Paint made of fire wouldn't exactly be wet paint :P

In any case CWP, you mustn't think of being a weeaboo as a bad thing! Embace your weeaboo nature.

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2012
Weeaboo...didn't realise what it meant till I looked it up..
This is amusingly patronising.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I always thought that the names were submitted by people and got chosen at random, am I wrong?

Nah. They have a set of names for each year, and they cycle through the same names (unless one is a Major Hurricane like Katrina or Andrew) every six years. This is the list for this year:
Spoiler:

As for being called a weeaboo a lot of people don't like to be called that. So I suppose it can be a bit patronizing.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
"Wapanese" sounds like something off a video game.

@Peaches: So wait, the next hurricane that can potentially hit Louisiana is going to be named Ernesto?
That's a little anticlimactic if you ask me.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I always assumed weeaboo was meant as an insult... That's what Urban Dictionary told me, at least.
Urban Dictionary said:
Weeaboo - Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total *******s.
I never really use this to describe people - and I can't say that I've met many people who fall within this description - but if I did, it would probably be to insult them! :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
"Wapanese" sounds like something off a video game.

@Peaches: So wait, the next hurricane that can potentially hit Louisiana is going to be named Ernesto?
That's a little anticlimactic if you ask me.
Yup. And if not Ernesto then there's Florence you might have to worry about in the future. Over here as well since I live in Florida.

I could totally use Weeaboo to describe one of my friends. He's learning the language, and he wants to move there and live there. He even plans to become an actor.
Hrmm... Yeah. I think there's a difference between those who are actually learning the language, planning on moving, and gaining a career from it to those who just... obsess over it to no end with no plans on it being of much help to their future. But that's just my two cents.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Pfft. That makes more sense now.

Well... be sure to give him props for trying in the future or something.

Years
It does annoy me a little when people use that language for no reason, but meh. I guess some people just want to express their new 'thing'.​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I have friends who are planning to honeymoon in Japan, lol. I wish I had learned the language when I had a chance though, it would've been nice to be able to help with translating anime/manga and such, and not have to wait for others to translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back