• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I've tried it before, not compatible with my computer. And now instead of freezing the game restarts... should I just try to start all over

Nothing is incompatible, unless you are running mac/linux. Talk to Linkandzelda, as he does all of his hacking on a mac if you need some help with that. For windows, you need the .net framework. Try v4.0.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Nothing is incompatible, unless you are running mac/linux. Talk to Linkandzelda, as he does all of his hacking on a mac if you need some help with that. For windows, you need the .net framework. Try v4.0.

Don't worry, I teamviewered him. He has to install the frameworks, yet he has vista, so it's not going well...

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Repoint once again, since it's fine. You might have done this:
import image
repoint there
(later)
(put data in that same spot)
What? I got a broken image?
It may not be the image or raw, just you must repoint AGAIN since there's some data in there that's messing up the look.

I've tried everything. Different offsets, ending with different bytes, tried replacing all the puzzle images, tried different image extensions, used nse and unlz.gba, and still, I constantly get the same error(or a variation on it when using another puzzle image). Maybe there is some trick hidden in the code?

karatekid552

Years
Thanks ^_^

Another Question: Where i Can find an Icon Sprite for Advance Pokemon Icon Editor(32x64)? I've looked anywhere but i can't find it :/

Spriters Resource has them I think. I was able to find a full set of 4th gen 32x32 gifs. So, you just need to do a maneuvering of the frames and then flatten the image to make the 32x64. For Gen V, I found a complete set of the same thing, except 64x64. These frames were just double sized and needed to be shrunk by 50%.

Don't worry, I teamviewered him. He has to install the frameworks, yet he has vista, so it's not going well...

I am running vista on one of my computers and all of the hacking tools run fine. So.... It will work.

I've tried everything. Different offsets, ending with different bytes, tried replacing all the puzzle images, tried different image extensions, used nse and unlz.gba, and still, I constantly get the same error(or a variation on it when using another puzzle image). Maybe there is some trick hidden in the code?

Do your offsets end in 0, or a multiple of 4? (0, 4, 8, C)? The game processes most images in 32bits, so they MUST be aligned properly.

....image extensions? Please tell me you used a converter and didn't just change the file extension....

Also, did you remove the unused tiles as GoGoJJTech told you to?

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Another Question: Where i Can find an Icon Sprite for Advance Pokemon Icon Editor(32x64)? I've looked anywhere but i can't find it :/

Hello~
I know it's annoying to resize all the the icon sprites, so here's a download to all of the 4th and 5th gen icon sprites: http://www.mediafire.com/download/kl7382fyfmex2y2/Icons.rar
(Also, I put a download link to all 5th gen icons in the resources thread, so you could have gone there and looked. Just a little tip ;))

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
I was wondering if anyone can help me with my mapping problem. Whenever I make a warp into a cave, I enter the cave the wrong way, and I also can't warp back out, despite having a proper warp there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

GoGoJJTech

Years
I was wondering if anyone can help me with my mapping problem. Whenever I make a warp into a cave, I enter the cave the wrong way, and I also can't warp back out, despite having a proper warp there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

When you use a save state in the area you're editing, you get errors. It's not a rom problem.

Winter Wonderland

Years
When you use a save state in the area you're editing, you get errors. It's not a rom problem.

I'm not using save states. I've been re-playing the whole game, deleting the .sav file before I do so, and testing it all the way through to make sure there are no bugs.

I've made the warps to replicate the warps in other caves, so I they're done right as far as I know, but I always walk in, and end up facing the wrong way from the warp. I also can't use the warps inside the cave that lead to other parts on the same map.

GoGoJJTech

Years
I'm not using save states. I've been re-playing the whole game, deleting the .sav file before I do so, and testing it all the way through to make sure there are no bugs.

I've made the warps to replicate the warps in other caves, so I they're done right as far as I know, but I always walk in, and end up facing the wrong way from the warp. I also can't use the warps inside the cave that lead to other parts on the same map.

Oh, then you have the wrong property on one of your tiles. If you have use door/warp then you move up/down when you go through.

Winter Wonderland

Years
Oh, then you have the wrong property on one of your tiles. If you have use door/warp then you move up/down when you go through.

You weren't completely right, but you did lead me to the answer! There are two ground tiles in cave, they look identical, but have two different functions. One is for general floor covering, and the other is placed right in front of entrances and acts as a door.

I confirmed this by checking Cerulean Cave. Thanks for your help, Gogojjtech. :)

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Do your offsets end in 0, or a multiple of 4? (0, 4, 8, C)? The game processes most images in 32bits, so they MUST be aligned properly.

....image extensions? Please tell me you used a converter and didn't just change the file extension....

Also, did you remove the unused tiles as GoGoJJTech told you to?

I've saved the image as gif, png and bmp using photoshop, even tried using different offsets with the same endings as the original images and just 0/4/8/c, but it doesn't work.

Here you see the original image below, and mine above:
eThF3kh.png

Mine uses one darker shade the original doesn't, but it is the palette found with vba, and the first tiles which use this shade do load normally. So, which tiles should I remove?

PS: here is the puzzle in solved forme:
NLrVnRL.png

I would really appreciate it if you or anybody could help me.

karatekid552

Years
I've saved the image as gif, png and bmp using photoshop, even tried using different offsets with the same endings as the original images and just 0/4/8/c, but it doesn't work.

Here you see the original image below, and mine above:
eThF3kh.png

Mine uses one darker shade the original doesn't, but it is the palette found with vba, and the first tiles which use this shade do load normally. So, which tiles should I remove?

PS: here is the puzzle in solved forme:
NLrVnRL.png

I would really appreciate it if you or anybody could help me.

Can you post all of the layers from the map viewer? All 4 map layers and all 4 tile layers. Then I can see what the game is really doing here.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
For some reason both Viridian forest and Pallet town in my hack share the same name. If I change the name to Cobalt Town the forest is named that too. If I change the name of the forest to Cobalt Forest the town is called that as well. Any way to seperate them?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
For some reason both Viridian forest and Pallet town in my hack share the same name. If I change the name to Cobalt Town the forest is named that too. If I change the name of the forest to Cobalt Forest the town is called that as well. Any way to seperate them?
The most obvious reason for this is that the pointers that should point to two separate names, point to a single one instead.

As an example;

Code:
Original FireRed [I](false values!)[/I]
[I]----------------------------[/I]
10 A7 4B 08 ---> Pallet Town
31 A7 4B 08 ---> Viridian Forest

Code:
In your hacked rom (again, false values too of course)
---------------------------
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town (but should be Cobalt Forest)

The solution to fixing the problem is as simple as getting a hex editor, a table file and searching for the pointer to the text string "Cobalt Town". There are two of them since both Cobalt Town and Cobalt Forest share the same pointer. Change either one of them to point to blank space and write either "Cobalt Town" or "Cobalt Forest" there. You're done.

There is a tutorial about text editing (by hacking Pokemon FireRed) with a hex editor in romhacking(dot)net.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
The solution to fixing the problem is as simple as getting a hex editor, a table file and searching for the pointer.

I have seen these types of posts, but I always forget to ask about them.
Can anyone tell me what a "table file" is, it's purpose, and if it's needed, then where can I possible get one?
Thanks~

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
You know, one thing I really hate about this database is that it tends to crash every time you have finished writing something, click Reply button and forget to copy paste the text you have made up somewhere safe....

I have seen these types of posts, but I always forget to ask about them.
Can anyone tell me what a "table file" is, it's purpose, and if it's needed, then where can I possible get one?
Thanks~
Table file contains information about how the text data of the game works. If you know what you're doing (it's kinda simple really!), you can easily search for any kinds of text strings of the game by using a hex editor and table file as help.

Pokemon FireRed table file looks like this

You can see that for example big letters are described with bytes between BB and D4 and small letters with bytes between D5 and EE. In other words, text string "Hey!" would be written in the game as:

Code:
C2 D9 ED AB

because

Code:
C2=H
D9=e
ED=y
AB=!

And as an example, to for example find the pointer that points to text string "Pallet Town", you would first look for:

Code:
CA D5 E0 E0 D9 E8...

By doing that, the hex editor would look for where bytes CA D5 E0 E0 D9 E8... are stored (which is printed as text "Pallet..." in the game). Once you come up with a offset which would for example be "0x43A890", you form bytes out of that:

Code:
43 A8 90

rotate them

Code:
90 A8 43

and add 08 to the end

Code:
90 A8 43 08

That is how you find a pointer to a certain text string.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
Hello, do you know if anyone has found out a way to edit the world map in 4th or 5th generation games? Thanks

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
Hello, i really hate the Gym Battle and Elite Four music in Pokemom Black, but i loved the music of the Gym battles and the Elite Four in Gen 2 and 3.

Is there any way to replace the Pokemon Black Gym and Elite Four battle music with the Gen 2/Gen 3 ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back