• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
What do you like and dislike in a protagonist?

I don't know...I guess I am fine with any protgagonist as long as he/she will be developed later on in the story. I also like protagonist that have a weird but realistic personality.

EDIT: After thinking about it, I'm going to put a bit more substance in this answer like I did with the antagonist question. :3

What I basically meant by developed ones is, IMO, is ones that have goals but are probably iffy about it. They will react to the challenges that came to them and sometimes it will either make them stornger or weaker. In then end though, they are still determined towards that goal. In short, I don't the character to be all happy go lucky throughout the story wihile attempting that goal of his or hers. He/she will soon realize there are challenges that will soon either make or break.

...Huh, now I think about it, I like any character who is sure/unsure of his/herself. XD

Also, like Hanako and a few others, I like protagonist whose view is suddenly being challenged because theirs is a little abusrd and such.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
DarkPersian479 said:
It doesn't matter how smart the leader is, unless he's got ESP, it's impossible for him to know every detail and characteristic of every person he hires. I'm going to briefly mention that emotions like anger and fear can cause a person to momentarily act out of character (i.e., your normally calm and subdued underling going ballistic and spouting off details when they're close to defeat), as when emotions run high, mistakes can be made that ordinarily wouldn't be made. Not that this should happen each and every time, but occasionally, emotion should get the best of a villain.
Dropping something at one point that gives the protagonist a little hint does not have to be stupidity. However, no matter what you do you will not get me not to facepalm if an antagonist faced with defeat randomly blurts out the details of the entire evil plan. No emotion makes people do that. I'm all for having a little hint dropped, and the protagonist then figures out the plan from the hint. Then it's the protagonist doing something, not having everything handed to him through a deus ex machina.

DarkPersian479 said:
Some people excel at hiding their true intentions. In the villain example, consider a person who's simply joining for the power and wealth, not caring about the leader's true vision. He can be all, "Yup, totally agree with you" during the interview process, and even afterward when having meetings with the boss, but on the field they follow their own agenda. The head honcho can take every precaution to make sure their underlings are all on board with the plan, but having a tight-knit organization without any rogue agents is nearly as unrealistic as having a gang of total morons.

In real life, think of the company that ends up hiring someone who defrauds the company, or the school that hires a teacher who turns out to be a child predator. Of course, if the company or school knew of these intentions, the person would never get the job. But these people can be so skilled at throwing up a facade of being an upstanding citizen that the higher-ups never have a clue about these ulterior motives until the damage has been done. And running background checks won't always pick up these guys either, with the amount of identity theft we have today. So realistically, picking up on a person's true intentions can be difficult, regardless of how intelligent or how many resources the recruiting party may have at their disposal.
Which is why I never said that the organization should be without any rogue agents. Hell, did I ever mention rogue agents at all? Why do you suddenly seem to think I'm of the opinion every member of every criminal association should be absolutely devoted to the cause? I never said any such thing. My entire point concerned agents who are stupid, not agents who don't believe in the cause.

I'm not particularly fond of huge evil organizations to begin with, actually, but when that is the case, I have no problem with occasional agents who are stupid, either. All I'm asking is for exploiting blatant stupidity not to be the hero's primary method of getting out of trouble and that at least the admins, the ones in a position of particular power in the organization who are both hand-picked by the primary villain and few enough for him to be able to oversee them fairly easily, do not with every word they say radiate the impression that they have a negative IQ. If they really are that stupid, they're definitely too stupid to hide their stupidity from the boss cleverly enough to get picked as admins in the first place. Or, for that matter, into any role of power or importance. You can make a plot in which some members of a criminal organization clearly have no brain at all despite their superiors having some, but then they have definitely not been able to conceal that from their superiors well enough to earn the trust to be left to guard a dangerous prisoner alone.

Of course a situation in which stupid agents going on a stroll happen to find the protagonist and imprison him while unable to contact their superiors could technically happen, but that's when it gets to my other point: why do it have to be those mind-numbingly stupid agents who find the protagonist, when it would be so much more interesting and exciting to have the protagonist found by somebody competent? When you could have the protagonist put in real danger?

DarkPersian479 said:
No, not every grunt should be an idiot. But, all members needn't be this perfect group of flawless villains. IMO, both are rather unrealistic situations. Your villains don't need to be idiots, but nor do they need to be perfect, unemotional drones.
Which is why, for the last time, I was not saying they should be "this perfect group of flawless villains" or "perfect, unemotional drones". I even specifically conceded that yes, there can be stupid members. For Christ's sake, the main point I was trying to make was that it's lame and anticlimatic when the hero escapes the villains just because they're stupid. That's all fine and dandy if it wasn't supposed to be dramatic and exciting to begin with, such as if the villains are pure comic relief, but no matter how realistic you may find it for half the villains to be that stupid, it just fails at producing actual excitement.

Isaac Gravity said:
Okay, first, don't put words in my mouth and assume what I'm saying for your gain. If I read what you wrote correctly then you touched villains in general and questioned why the head or higher ups (not just admins) would leave "idiots" in charge, thus pulling out other points about hero being boring if they get through because of botch-ups. That's the basic argument of that post. Not the stuff you're trying to clarify for me, but thanks for that. I am a simpleton like that.

Sadly to say, I'm not stuck on any notion, I call it how I see it. And because of that I brought about my reasoning about the big boss has his group (the admins) they, while carrying out their missions, may have their favorite few who they trust and they may have their subordinates and so forth. So who gets into the group and why and how they think and why is totally up to them and the various media points people pool these ideas from. (Or the writer whose making them...fair enough) THAT'S what I argued.
And what I argued was that yes, they can be stupid and undevoted. Your argument was an argument for the possible existence of stupid/rogue members, when I never said there couldn't be stupid/rogue members in the first place. Hence why I said you seemed to think I was trying to say every villain should have an IQ of 200 and be perfectly devoted to the cause, when I had in fact said no such thing.

Isaac Gravity said:
Sorry, couldn't use the ahead part, wanted to get to the point. That's all good and nice for you, but that point you made doesn't justify anything. If anything, it just justifies why you and those willing to step up feel it doesn't work. I couldn't give a damn why someone wants to do what they do but I'm not gonna twiddle my thumbs and have someone self-righteously (if not narrowly and indirectly) proclaim under the fic or entertainment name what I like seeing!
Oh, for crying out loud. I was not just voicing an opinion on something I feel doesn't work as a careless generalization. As far as I could tell, I was simply stating a fact, something on a similar level to "Nobody wants to read about you sitting in your bed and turning the pages of a book throughout the entire story" or "Nobody likes to be tortured to death". It didn't even cross my mind that anyone would find weak conflicts interesting, since as far as I could tell they were uninteresting by definition, but apparently I must stand corrected. I have to say that your response still baffles me as much as if you had started protesting that you actually wanted to be tortured to death, which is why I still think you have to have gravely misunderstood something I said.

Isaac Gravity said:
Not every conflict (villain related or not) in a chapter has to be some giant epic/psychological field-scape/happy-go-lucky merry go around with villains/morals of the day after all. And that's the vibe I'm starting to get from you in general with that comment, so do correct me if I'm wrong.
...huh? I have no idea where "happy-go-lucky merry go around with villains/morals of the day" fits into this, but presuming you meant something in the direction of "Not every conflict has to be full of drama and excitement", then that's entirely true. As I said, there can be villains who are there for comic relief. But if they're not there for comic relief, and the conflict with those villains is supposed to be the main exciting and suspenseful plot of the story (as with many trainer fics), it just won't do to always rely on the villains' stupidity.

Isaac Gravity said:
I never made such a point, please don't screw around with my words.
I never said you had said that! I was pointing out that I don't have anything against villains making perfectly reasonable mistakes such as not presuming that this random ten-year-old they just saw is going to be a major threat to them. It was in fact added to my post after Hanako posted, and mostly directed at that post, but you briefly brought up a similar point as well.

Why does everyone keep saying things like "But villains who do X aren't really being stupid, they're being perfectly reasonable!"? Well, thank you for noticing! That's why I don't have a problem with villains who do X. "Situation Y can happen without any of the main villains being stupid!" Then great, by all means make situation Y happen in that way!

Look, I'll restate my points here.

I don't like it when the stupidity of villains is used as a deus ex machina in order to make things easier for the protagonist in a situation that is supposed to be exciting. This was my main point, posted in response to the original question about antagonists you dislike seeing.

As a completely separate point, put forward in response to DarkPersian479's post after my initial response to the villain question, I find it blatantly unrealistic for an intelligent head of a criminal organization to personally appoint people who are obvious idiots to important positions in his organization. Note the lack of any implication that every villain coming anywhere near the protagonist at any point is necessarily in an "important position", although once the villains are well aware that the protagonist poses a major threat to them, things like guarding him as a prisoner ought to be considered an important position.

I also mentioned in that post that even if it is reasonable for villain X to be stupid, my original main point still stands. DarkPersian479 was tackling a completely unrelated issue by trying to justify how the villains might realistically be stupid. I was never saying that stupid villains were unrealistic; I was saying that if the villains are stupid, no matter how realistic it is for them to be, the conflict against them is not exciting. If that particular conflict is not intended to be exciting, then that's obviously fine, but whether or not it makes sense for the villains to possibly be stupid has nothing to do with this.

Now, unless you have something to say against the restated points, this is all some sort of major headache of a misunderstanding of what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Err... craziness?

Alright, question of the day:

If you are working on or have recently completed a fanfiction, did you have the storyline planned out from the beginning, or are/did you working/work blindly, with no idea what will happen next?

For me, it's a bit of both. I have a disjointed idea of characters and events I want to show up at some point, and the basic feel of the story, but I don't know who or what is getting the characters from point A to B, since the events themselves don't make the entire fanfic.

Oh, and to answer what kind of protagonist I like- well, I'm not a huge fan of the Byronic Hero that a lot of poorly-written angst-fics seem to be creating variations on, but otherwise I'm okay with a whole range. I usually don't appreciate static protagonists from either extreme. If your character is slitting his wrists, he needs some closure to that little issue. If he's always happy-go-lucky, he needs to learn that life isn't sunshine and rainbows. The protagonist needs to have flaws as well, and they must be his own fault. No getting away with the whole "it was his environment/upbringing, he couldn't help it" shtick. If your character is mercilessly stealing money from people, they have to eventually take responsiblity or it has to be shown that they are the only ones responsible for their current situation.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
-_-. You people talk to much. You people to bold, italisize and underline things...a little too much. xD

What's your favorite kind of antagonist?

What the frack is an antagonist?!? xD. Just kidding, my favorite type of antagonist. Anything that isn't those stupid 'EBIL EBIL EBIL' people who always want to take over the world, or the stupid 'your my rival! Let's battle! I wanna be a pokemon masta!' Those things disgust me so...

Ooh, good question. I like the poor and deprived youngins how struggle with a week and forgotten about pokemon (e.g., Krabby, Hoppip, feebas {Alter ego's fav} and Doduo). I think those are the hostess with the mostess. I dislike that the protagonist always wins in some fics. In some battle chapters, you could just skip it and know exactly what the outcome will be. Urgh...

If you are working on or have recently completed a fanfiction, did you have the storyline planned out from the beginning, or are/did you working/work blindly, with no idea what will happen next?

I work with a slight outline on what will happen, but I basiclly just make most of it up as I go along. I love fudge...

Alright so now I'll cease my rambling and say that Hanako is AWESHOME! Lawls, NO GO HANG OUT WE YE FRIENDS YA CRAZY KIDS!

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
god damn.... I've still been viewing posts, but took the past week off from replying (which seems to take up even more of my time as I tend to put lots of thought into my posts) so I could complete a translation. The questions just piled up all the while. Welp, best get cracking.

BTW Scythe, you didn't answer my earlier question: You do actually read my huge-ass walls of text, don't you?

Where do you get your inspiration from?
various otaku fodder. You know, the anime, the manga, the games, I'm just now starting to read a light novel (it's nice that they provide at least some visual aid, even if it's just the main character designs most times), overall mainly Japanese media. Often times, I'll see a nice dramatic scene or some other device and feel like I want to use something similar in my own story (though, I try not to cross the boundaries between "inspiration" and "rip-off", nor do I try and force such scenes into the story when such an element clearly seems out of place). More recently, I've enjoyed the ending to AIR...
Spoiler:

The music I listen to (which is also composed mostly of anisongs) also helps me think of scenarios.

Who is your favorite character in a fanfiction on this forum, other than one of your owns?
Pass.

Do you tend to make your protagonist the same gender as yourself?
Not really. Sure, a few of them are males, but I plan to start off with a one-shot featuring Kaede from the anime (Katie in the dub... she's an opponent in the Houen League's Taikai Tournament). I'm also thinking about having my erogee put some focus on Fuutarou's girlfriend. The sequel to my serial might also have a female focus (though, I see it phasing out a bit for a male character I plan to have introduced a bit later). Finally, if it's any consolation, the main character in my serial wouldn't even be the heroic one most the time, but often times be incompetent in battle and needing backed up by a female character.

What do you prioritize in plot writing? Do you start by figuring out the ending/big theme and work your way towards it with the chapters or do you just decide on the story as you go, leaving the ending open until it's time to write it?
As I said before, my writing process has been pretty jumbled since I was just taking over a simple concept that my brother abandoned at first. At first, I took his scenario and thought of an ending that'd eventually lead to (and a rather sappy ending at that). However, after thinking on fleshing out the middle, better characterization, having the beginning make a bit more sense, altering the main character, proper usage of themes, etc., the ending has drastically changed, and is bound to change even more by the time I finally release it.

Do you like reading/reviewing fanfics or one shots better?
Pass.

Does anyone have a set writing time every day? Or do you wait for inspiration to strike before sitting?
I have yet to actually get into writing. I am, however, constantly working on the story in my head.

When your characters are talking through though, do you write with speech marks or through italics?
I'm doing doujinshi, so clearly, this need not apply to me. However, when the characters are thinking, I intend to do what other manga use: that "shining halo", as Wiki called it (I really can't think of a better term ^^').

Which would you post; an introduction, or the first chapter when beginning a story?
before I start releasing my doujinshi to the public, I wouldn't mind releasing teaser pages and character designs.

How long do you wait in between posting chapters?
haven't done any work yet. Pass.

How long will you wait in between posting chapters for your upcoming fic?
that's better. Personally, after hyping up my work a bit on line, I'd like to start out selling it at an overseas convention, or just have a doujin retailer sell it online (either in the form of books for individual chapters, or possibly even collected tankouban). I would start posting scans a few months later, one chapter at a time, and maybe a month between chapters (having it available a lot sooner is basically me giving incentive for people to buy). Aside from posting chapters that I already completed online, my pacing otherwise might be variable. Aside from the conventions I can first sell them at not having a set schedule (except for Comiket, which comes about twice a year; it might be different if I do sell online, though), I'd like to make chapters that're around 40 pages in length, much like the manga that're published in monthly magazines (and that said, a once-a-month basis sounds nice... but first, I need to actually get into the habit of drawing manga to see how difficult of a process it'd be for me and whether or not I could keep it on a consistent schedule).

What pokemon would you like to see have a major part in fanfic more often?
Again, I don't read the fics around here. However, as I said in an earlier post, there're a lot of Pokemon that I feel the actual franchise tends to ignore a lot. As Gravy (of SPPF fame) might tell you, Dunsparce is a SERIOUSLY neglected Pokemon, and I'd be inclined to agree with him whenever he wonders why the hell the anime can't give it focus (after not getting any since its debut episode, which was itself a rather meh filler lost in the middle of the forgettable Jouto region) rather than making Arcanine or Scizor appear for the billionth time. Same goes for a lot of Jouto Pokemon, really (most people consider Qwilfish quite forgettable, in particular.... though ironically, after building up a reputation as such, it's actually not as forgettable as you'd think).

How do you choose your characters' teams?
well, I rarely have major characters with an actual team in the first place (I don't really involve competitive battlers in some of my stories, especially my serial). Though, most characters tend to have a small number of Pokemon anyway (below the usual maximum of 6). Whatever the case, when I decide what Pokemon to give certain characters, I usually consider what role the characters play, whether or not they could invoke a particular theme in the Pokemon they use, and geographic location to an extent. There's also experience in capturing and training, so not everyone will have a team of full-evolved powerhouses, and also the rarity of the Pokemon as it's portrayed in most of franchise (given, their rarity varies between locations, games, different versions of the same game, etc. Still, I try to look at it in a somewhat sensible fashion rather than just giving every trainer and their mother something like a Milotic, a rare Pokemon that's ridiculously difficult to find in the games, and takes some skills as a Contest Coordinator to get it to evolve on top of that).

One interesting thing to note is that my erogee takes place in a desert. In the games, there's never even been a desert until the 3rd generation, and even so, we've had few Pokemon that could be encountered in such an environment. That said, I've had an interesting time thinking up suitable Pokemon that could sensibly be seen in a desert. Also, I sometimes do the same as Dragonfree here....

This was in the G/S/C era, note; I've actually nearly entirely kept to the Gym leader plan, only switching out a couple of their Pokémon for Hoenn ones so that the complete lack of third generation Pokémon wouldn't be too conspicuous.

Though, not really so the lack of a generation seems conspicuous. Rather, I wouldn't mind somewhat equal representation between the four generations of Pokemon (though, I may be bias towards Jouto in particular, since my serial does take place there, and as I mentioned before, the 2nd gen Pokemon have been pretty screwed over in the official media).

As a reviewer, what is your absolute least favorite explanation for a character that understands Pokemon outside of "miraculously able to for no reason at all"?
even though I don't read any fanfics, just hearing about Mary Sues sickens me to no end. Anyway, I find the whole concept of "The Chosen One" pretty damn cheesy. Though, that can apply to several things other than just understanding Pokemon.

What do you think the easiest tense to work with is?
intend for my work to be visual. Pass.

Are One Shots worth writing?
yes, I do. I'm hoping to do one about Kaede as a means of testing the waters of doujinshi. See if it's not something too difficult for me to handle, while at the same time releasing my work to the public and building a reputation before I do a serial.

In fanfic how do you handle the issue of how pokemon learn new moves? Do they have to do detailed training for different types of powers?
I just use TMs. I don't see myself explaining it within the story itself, but I can see myself doing bonus pages. Basically, my vision of TMs was inspired by Toshihiro Ono's Dengeki! Pikachu manga. The idea of a powder being sprinkled on the Pokemon makes me think that some new elements are being added into its body that can allow it to perform a certain attack (and this info is relevant to a particular scene in the story). Though, since the games have finally started revealing what TMs should officially look like, I think I'll start using the disc shape.... but it won't phase me much. Discs are small but contain a lot of electronic data within that little layer. Who's to say they can't contain elements (especially in a franchise where creatures can dissolve into energy for the purpose of portable transportation)? I could even envision a nifty scene where the disc spins, floats in the air, and projects a ray of light onto the Pokemon while syphoning these elements, finally breaking afterwards.

I see myself using egg attacks as well, though I sorta side-step the idea of having Pokemon learn them after they're born (when you think about it, the whole idea of TM elements can apply here as well, except replace elements with hereditary genes). Some Pokemon, even wild ones, are just born with the ability to use certain attacks. Usually, I'll try to keep this realistic and make it seem like a breeding-compatible Pokemon that naturally learns the move lives within the area. For example, one can expect to find a wild Trapinch with Quick Attack in a desert environment that hosts both Trapinch and Gligar (and their evos).

How do you logically solve the problem of water pokemon (without legs such as Kingdra) in battles on land?
I too see them hopping on their bellies (or their tails in the case of the Horsea line), flopping on their sides (Magikarp usually looks pathetic enough to do just that), Gyarados and Mantine can just fly, and in the case of the big guys like Lapras and Wailord, they can drag themselves forward with their fins (much like a sea turtle on a beach). Also, if Misty's Goldeen can jump over to a theme park on land, and several legless Pokemon in the anime like Metapod and Pineco can jump around the battle field like there's no tomorrow, it's really not so unfeasible for water-types to have some proficiency on land.

Unlike some of you, I don't try to avoid this portrayal altogether.... in fact, I actively try to show it off in some cases. See, I'm under the notion that, like the games, Pokemon battles should be somewhat universal (I say somewhat because some environments could seem obviously restricting.... but chances are, the human trainer themselves could barely stand such an environment, like fighting underwater, on top of water while surfing, or using fire-types in a lava pit. Otherwise, if a human can tolerate it, any Pokemon will probably be capable of fighting to some reasonable degree). It really doesn't seem right for water-types to be completely restricted to bodies of water that the humans likely won't be around much anyway. Also, this kinda ruins the whole advantage water-types are supposed to have over fire, ground, and rock types, as you'd more than likely see them in dry environments (and even if someone was fighting with such a Pokemon near a body of water, what's to keep you from using any land-based Pokemon and simply pushing the sucker in there?).

Mind you, I don't have plans to feature a main character prominently using a finned Pokemon or anything like that, but in my serial, I do intend to give a Seaking to one of the first Rocket grunts encountered, and who makes subsequent appearances throughout the story (for the record, I chose Seaking as the Pokemon of choice long before the meme started up). Upon first appearing, this character's Seaking breaks up a fight by jumping up into the air, forming water vapor around itself, and finally crashing down between the two combatants with Waterfall. Even though it's a small role, I feel this first appearance alone should be enough to show that this Pokemon is quite capable on land. My erogee will also have a character who raises water-types (even though it takes place in a desert, the city the characters live in is built around a large oasis), among them being a Lumineon.

Do you use themes in your fics? If so, what are some examples?
as I said before, I'm having some problems discerning what themes could possibly be present throughout my story, and have no clue what I could focus on as a central theme. However, from what I see so far....
Spoiler:

As a reader/reviewer, is there some specific type of antagonist or evil plot that you would not want to see in a fanfic?
oh, mainly just those one-dimensional types. You know, the kind that're evil for no real reason and just wanna take over the world or blow up the world or something just for the hell of it. It really sucks when the author can't even provide some kind of insight to them apparently having an obvious mental condition, and how they managed to get into their position of power in spite of it (otherwise, I don't mind the villains that're simply insane if they've been fleshed out a bit to seem realistic, maybe having a mental break-down through a traumatic event. And hell, the insane ones can be capable of doing some pretty sick, inhuman ****. In my serial, one of the main villains.... well, you probably don't wanna know what acts he commits throughout the story, but PM me if you're really interested).

BTW, on the issue of dumb villians: it is possible to have an antagonist be stupid but still be a major threat. It's a matter of brawns over brains, and if something is extremely powerful with no realization on how to use their own strength.... well, sometimes they still won't be a threat because they can't follow their master's orders or realize when to defend themselves (the Kyoto arc of Rurouni Kenshin featured something like this XD), but they can just as well be a pretty dangerous force that should be reckoned with (and often times, they'll be a threat to both parties, acting as a double-edged sword to their master, assuming they even have a master and aren't just rampaging on their own). Isn't anyone familiar with Azathoth?

What's your favorite kind of antagonist?
I think one of my absolute favorite types of antagonists are those who're at some point shown to be just as moral as the protagonist, and over time, you start to wonder which side is really right and whether or not it's really for the best that the protagonists defeat them, or even if it'd be better that the antagonists win. That's the kind of conflict I really like, the shade-of-gray portrayal which really makes you, the audience, have to think about which side should really be rooted for in the end.

I also enjoy antagonists that show up late and are, quite simply, against the ideals of everyone else in the story, causing all factions to form a temporary truce to take down the common foe (though they may or may not exactly be on friendly terms). Some fine examples of this can be found in some of Chiaki J. Konaka's works, like Texhnolyze and Digimon Tamers (D-Reaper not being a human and not exactly being a Digimon fit in very well with the series' theme of both forming partnerships). To some extent, I also really like those antagonists who go against common stereotypes (like a corrupted angel instead of a devil, or something that's cute and cuddly yet capable of blowing up the sun... bonus points if the cute thing doesn't take on the typical "possessed" appearance at any time. Akira Toriyama's tendency to make the small guys be more powerful than the buff, muscular types was also appreciated)... lastly, there're those villains who just sorta hide in the crowd, being in plain sight the entire time and never seeming at all like a threat, just seeming like background material (though, the ones who act as a protagonist are also good, so long as they do a damn good job of keeping up the facade), until they eventually reveal themselves.

Mind you, these are just the antagonists from the common "hero vs. villain" types of conflicts. If you want to count just any obstacle in a storyline, be it a disease or conflicting emotions, as an "antagonist" (and I guess they can be just as valid), I would also deem those to be good.

Personally, I'm really sick of those protagonists from shounen series who're just all hyperactive and have goals of "being the best" at whatever it is they're doing. I mean, maybe it's realistic (albeit redundant) of most tweens to get in over their heads, but then when you've got someone in their late teens in such a position.... yeah (given, my erogee features an 18-year old trainer who strives to be a Pokemon Master, but to be fair, he's not I'mmagonnasucceed crazy nuts about it, nor is it the only thing on his mind.... and should the player make it the only thing on his mind, it's not exactly portrayed in the most positive light). But that aside, I also hate it when everything the protagonist does is just too convenient. Earlier in the thread, I brought up how in the games, pretty much everything is served to the player on a silver platter.... I'd give the games leeway, since it wouldn't be quite as fun if you're restricted from getting any Pokemon out there or don't have a powerful boss to fight. It's when that crap translates into a more detailed storyline that it gets to be a problem.... take the anime for instance. The protagonists almost always seem to be at the right place at the right time to help out with something, or participate in some event that they may or may not (usually the former) ultimately end up winning, or whatever. Come to think of it, this can apply to a lot of episodic anime (you can't help but wonder just how many murders have taken place within close proximity of Conan, and how many more are gonna occur around him in the future). Not to say not everything can't be convenient (I mean, how can some storylines even get started if nothing occurs at the right time and place?), but it's over-doing it that I really dislike (especially if the plot conveniences are purely in the protagonist's favor). I'm also not very fond of "The Chosen One" scenarios, as I mentioned before, though I guess it might be possible to pull those off correctly in some manner.

Personally, I like protagonists that're very down-to-earth... they have simple goals in life, they're not constantly striving to be the most powerful person in existence, nor are they very powerful in the first place. They're not hyperactive and adventurous, they probably fear death (though, they may still go on adventures if it's a means of furthering their personal needs somehow), and in the end, they probably won't be the one to ultimately take down the final antagonist, but rather, will just be someone that was along for the ride and is lucky just to have gotten through the whole ordeal with their life intact. Also, if they're sad, it's because they're genuinely suffering in some way and not because of some emo bullcrap, and they can also show severe weakness in their traumatic past and could be susceptible to mental breakdown (as opposed to using their pain as motivation to fight or even strengthen themselves). They may freak out just from killing somebody, and even a fight with the most typical of opponents isn't the most easy of tasks for this physically and/or mentally weak character.

In contrast to that, I also enjoy matured protagonists who start out strong and experienced and pretty much bypass any of the typical adolescent growth seen in most storylines (though, it still doesn't mean they can just off every opponent with ease, nor does it mean there aren't some more complex things they're still learning)... similarly, the mentor types are also pretty enjoyable characters.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
Years
But even comic books have written words to them :)

Yes, but in comics the text is usually spoken words, in which case the tense depends on what they're talking about. And (correct me if I'm wrong) text from the narrator is usually in present tense... although I suppose that would also depend on the format of the story and whether there are flashbacks, etc. :P So in comics the tense usage isn't a matter of preference, but what's happening in the story.

...although, the question is what tense you find easiest to use, not what you intend to use, so... ^.^;; Yaw. Ignore me.

I think we've already had a question similar to this... either that or I answered this question in conjunction with a previous question... but meh, anyway.

I always know at least generally what's going to happen in a story, but I've only once started posting a (non-pokemon) story without having planned the whole thing out beforehand. Which means that that story is currently on the backburner and hasn't been updated in over a year. ^.^;;

For CaC, I had the whole thing planned out in such detail that I was getting confused, so eventually I just rewrote the plotline with enough detail for me to know what was going to happen in the chapter instead of every single little thing, which made it a lot easier to get through. Luckily I remember enough of my original intentions and the original details to be able to fill it out accordingly.

One-shots... one-shots are a slightly different matter. I know what the story's going to be about, but I don't always have it planned out, and sometimes use the writing process itself as a way of threshing out how I'm going to tell the story I want to tell. It also depends a little on how long the one-shot's going to be; if I know it's going to be fairly long then I will, generally, try to thresh it out beforehand.

Okay, new topic!

What do you think of using song lyrics in stories?

Well, speaking as someone who's tried using a song in her story and utterly failed, having the character aware of the song and its significance is an exceptionally difficult thing to do, and it can very easily turn corny. Good luck to anyone who wants to try it, but seriously, it would take a lot of skill and control to pull it off well.

I don't mind stories which use the lyrics as a kind of counterpoint to the story itself, as long as it's not forcing me to read through long chunks of the lyrics or I don't need to know the song to really understand the story. I don't usually go that way myself anymore, although I have been tempted to write a one-shot songfic or two in the past. :P

All that said, I still like connecting songs to stories in some way. I don't make up entire soundtracks to my stories, but there are some songs which I've used for inspiration for certain scenes or themes and which have fit so well that I've felt obliged to use some lyrics or the title as the title of the relevant chapter.

...and hey, that made me think of another possible topic:

How do you pick your titles?

Well, like I said before, I sometimes use song lyrics or titles as a title themselves, but other than that I'm a sucker for having phrases or quotes as titles in general--and that includes paraphrased phrases. Quite a few of my stories have been named using full/half/paraphrased phrases (like 'A Problem Shared' or 'The Eyes of the Abyss').

Usually, though, I choose my story titles depending on some theme the story shows (like 'Misdirected' or 'Where Shadow Reigns') and leave the phrases and quotes for the chapter titles.

Bay

Years

Like purple_drake said, I think I answered this before, but oh well. I usually plan the beginning, middle, and end and then think about themes and characters to use. Eventually as the story goes, sometimes I change scenes if I felt it's not going anywhere.

I'm fine with those. In fact, I think it's an even more fun experience listening to that song while reading it! XD

I pretty much think of titles that are related to the story. Sometimes I use a title from a famous book and twist it a bit. For instance, the title "Heart of the Sea" I got from the title of the book it's based on, "The Old Man and the Sea". For "Nothing, Everything", it's from a line close to at the end of the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" (great movie, though ^^ ). That title also relates to a few themes of the story.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Wow. Missed a bunch o' questions while I was idle.

Am I just vain for enjoying this sort of conversation? On the other hand, I'm also brain dead this week, so that could explain why I haven't had too many intelligent things to inject into the conversation...

I agree with Dragonfree in that if someone's like Shinji Ikari, I think by the end of the fic, I'd like to take them out back and put them out of their miseries, Old Yeller-style. On the other hand, I also like it when protagonists are human, with their own uncertainties, senses of confusion, doubts, quirks... the little psychological imperfections that would lead them right into conflicts with the story while keeping their minds realistic. (So, I mean the slightly neurotic skeptic here, not the angsty suicidal teenager.) It's always fun to see what sort of problems a slightly troubled character inadvertently gets himself into and how he digs out of it without breaking down into "daddy never loved me!" fits. Yes, I'm looking at you again, Shinji.

And yes, if it's not clear enough, the type of protagonist I hate the most is Shinji Ikari the angsty teenager who whines constantly kind. I mean, at least sparklypoo Sues are amusing. Angsty teenager types just remind me of how sad my high school experience was.

From the beginning, no. From the middle, sometimes.

I can't remember how many times I've reworked what I wanted to do with the ending to Midsummer Knights, for example. However, when I started it, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do except for the fact that I wanted to write a darkfic, and I wanted it to be a combination of a mindbender and a good, old-fashioned Shakespearean bloodbath romance. After that point, I've played with ideas, ditched some, adopted others. I think there was one possible ending that I've considered briefly in which Viola turns out to be a cyborg. And then I realized that I really shouldn't plan fanfics at four in the morning when I'm on an alcohol-induced buzz. (This, unfortunately, is not an exaggeration.)

My fics in general tend to take the same path. When I put the first few paragraphs down on paper, I generally don't know what I'm about to do. In the middle, I consider all kinds of possibilities, and the end tends to be a slapdash attempt to actually settle on the ending.

Personally, I don't like to use them unless they have some sort of purpose or significance to the story itself. As in, the lyrics will somehow end up being used as an actual plot point, rather than to set the mood or because I think it's cool to have my narration match up with a song. There's two reasons why:

1. I fail at matching up lyrics. I'd be perfectly happy to post an example and let you be the judge of this, but if not, just trust me on this one.
2. I find that when other people do it, it's a little jarring. It interrupts the flow of the story by breaking it up with lines from a song, thereby creating an almost jerky feel to it while the reader (i.e. I) attempts to recall the way the song actually sounds. Sure, there's fics out there that have managed to overcome this obstacle (i.e. the jerky feel to the story) by using the pauses for emphasis, but on the other hand, I've also read a lot of stories that fail as equally spectacularly at it as I do.

Usually, it has something to do with a small element in the story. To avoid making another example of my pet project, I'll just bring up some of my one-shots:

"So the World Turned to Ash" - Subtle spoiler and a reference to the prophecy in the second movie.
"Goldfish Funerals" - Involves an actual goldfish funeral.
"Nyctophobia" - The name of the actual fear of darkness, which the story is centered heavily on.
"The Hunter" - Deals with a Pokemon on the hunt.

And for another megafic that I've been on and off with:

Project: Firefly - Also a subtle spoiler involving a scientific experiment gone wrong and a machine that glows like a firefly. Might recycle this title, however, although that's its original intent.

So, really, I just take the most obvious element of the story and turn it into something obscure.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023

If done well, I like it. After two tries at this I found out what works and what doesn't so I plan to have a much better version in the future. I also encourage the readers to listen to the actual song while reading (unless it distracts them ;) )

Lets see.

"Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place" is a verse from the chorus of Desecration Smile - Red Hot Chili Peppers. The verse, as well as the actual song deals with many themes that I have present in my fic. Although it's long, I still chose it.

Oh yeah, I also made a holiday picture for my fic. I know it doesn't look like much but this took 3-4 hours because MS Paint wants revenge against me. :D

Here it is! Merry Christmas

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years

Where to begin? I mean, there are so many kinds of protagonists I like that it's difficult to list them. x.x Well, I do have to admit a certain fondness to the inner demon types. Not ones who angst about the same thing from end to beginning, mind you, those whiners are just plain annoying, I mean ones who start out with a serious issue that they learn to process and work to overcome as the story progresses. A bit on the same note, I also like protagonists with deep-seated biases as well as protagonists who are capable of being honestly selfish, lazy, or petty, ones who will not automatically be the most empathic and skilled trainer in existence and won't always hold the moral high ground over the antagonists in every regard.

One thing I also value very highly in a protagonists is staying true to their background. If the character is a pampered, upper-class child who has spent their entire life in luxury I would expect them not to be adapted (mentally or physically) to a rough life on the road right from the get go, if a character has been raised in a freakin' Mightyena pack they should not be the most articulate, hygienic or civilized person around, and if the character is from an average suburban background with no unusual education to their name, I would expect them not to know the names, strengths, weaknesses, and attacks of every freakin' pokemon under the sun.

Just...common sense, really. A lot of times, it seems like the author is pouring their own knowledge into a character who would hardly be justified to know it, and at times...well, the background is just left hanging there and not really used for anything, which makes me wonder: why create an elaborate backstory if you don't intend to use it for anything? What I do like to see is a character tapping into the things they are good at and adapting these skills to solve the problems they encounter. Tying back to the inner demons, beliefs and biases accumulated earlier in the character's life that hang over their shoulder throughout the story are very fun. :3

As for what I don't like to see...static characters. If a character develops nowhere, if they can go through an entire story without a single adaption of their personality, a single change in opinion about anything, or a single new idea penetrating their thick little skulls then the story has been largely pointless on their part. I like to see character development, preferably in large doses. That being said, characters who develop way too fast and/or without any real reasons are just as bad as the static. Personality traits aren't built up overnight, and they aren't torn down that fast either. :<

So yeah, I like seeing humanity in protagonists, including human weakness (Unless they're non-human, in which case...well, it depends on what kind of non-human is in question. xD), but at the same time I'm a sucker for seeing characters overcome their demons, not become flawless, but become better in some respects...and possibly worse in others. :3 As for antagonists...well, nothing I can say that hasn't been mentioned already. As you might have guessed from the above, I'm a sucker for the bad guys with morals, the ones who think they're doing something good and whose actions and reasonings actually make sense. Misunderstood ones fall under the same umbrella for me too. Other types of antagonist I enjoy include the persuasive double-crosser, the one who's your best friend right until he stabs you in the back and who'd sell out anyone just to further their own schemes but whom no-one wants to think of as a bad guy, sometimes not even after they have been betrayed. Finally, the just plain old psychotic villain (Oh yes, the Hannibal Lecter types are lovely). I like them with a certain sense of ingenuity to their madness, though, as the cackling 'muahahahhaa!' madman kind is just plain boring. <.<

Not really my cup of tea. They're fine when done right, horrible when done wrong, but I've never really looked at a piece of fanfiction and gone 'hey, this could use some song lyrics'. I think they do just fine without them. Listening to a certain song while reading to get me in the right mood is one thing, but seeing the lyrics amidst the narrative isn't really doing anything for me.

Very slowly. Ehh...I just rack my brain until I find something that fits, which usually takes a while. No real method, possibly why I'm so bad at titles.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
The second option. I like flying by the seat of my pants, never knowing what's going to happen. There was one time when I had plotted somewhat the beginning of a fanfic, but it wasn't exact, so there was still freedom. It made writing a bit easier, because I wasn't sitting there waiting for my characters to do something. I prodded them along. But in general I prefer the method of letting things happen as they happen. (Life isn't plotted out, so why should my character's lives be?)

I only did one song fic, and that was in a different format that I haven't seen anyone else use. What I did was actually use the lyrics in the narration, so there was no fancy formatting. You just had to keep your eyes open as to what was lyric and what wasn't. I would post an example, but I doubt any of you ever heard the song. :<

In the beginning, I pick whatever sounds good at the time. By some later date, I find that the title sucks the big one, so I'm always keeping my ears open for a better title. My titles come as a sort of surprise to me sometimes, especially the good ones.

Years
http://pkmncommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3173981#post3173981
^ My new chapter is up.

I have the rest of the story for Magma mostly planned already and I can give off some spoilers if anyone wants.

Well for my first attempt I just named after the region it was in then thi time the simplest thing sounded best, Magma.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Tee-hee...managed to naughtily sneak my way to enough computer time to finish this, so...commenting on a few things. :3

And well, even though there is one fic I have read (a trilogy to be exact) that is with the usual elements of stupid assistants, DNA superpowered Pokemon, and the leader that wanted to take over the world, I still love that fic because the author put a lot of character development on the main characters (both the good and bad characters).

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's not that any of the things I mentioned make a fic unenjoyable for me on their own either (Heck, I enjoy Shining Nightmare a lot, even though it has the whole DNA shtick in it), but the fact remains that I'd probably like those fics even better if they could provide the same level of character development and other things I appreciate without resorting to the plot devices I dislike. ^^

Exactly. It's why I'm always rewriting my own fanfic. Because I can see that it's not up to whatever standards I think others hold me at from my reviews. I think that everyone sees me as one of the great writers and I still see myself as a mediocre writer...at best. >>

One of the things that helped me is the quote "To do a common thing, uncommonly well, brings success". I'm hoping that even though all I'm writing is a generic OT fanfic with a generic plot that the quality that I bring to it will make up for not having anything never seen before by the fandom.

Oh, when you get to that level of quality, originality will kind of squeeze itself in there somewhere, I think. :3 If by nothing else, your fic will be original because of the style you write it in, so yeah. (Besides, I've always been a sucker for generic OT, so...xD)

At least you don't have my problem of constantly having to wonder whether the main plot is too far-fetched to make sense to anyone else. I...seem to have a problem of complicating things, sometimes needlessly. x3

feebas {Alter ego's fav}

Actually, my true favorite would be Cradily, but whereas the hugable prehistoric barnacle is merely neglected, Feebas is outright shunned for what seems to me to be nothing more than a few lines of stupid flavor text. Hence, I feel inclined to stand up for the poor little things. ;.;

As Gravy (of SPPF fame) might tell you, Dunsparce is a SERIOUSLY neglected Pokemon, and I'd be inclined to agree with him whenever he wonders why the hell the anime can't give it focus (after not getting any since its debut episode, which was itself a rather meh filler lost in the middle of the forgettable Jouto region) rather than making Arcanine or Scizor appear for the billionth time. Same goes for a lot of Jouto Pokemon, really (most people consider Qwilfish quite forgettable, in particular.... though ironically, after building up a reputation as such, it's actually not as forgettable as you'd think).

Ahh...Dunsparce and Qwilfish...it's true that both are horribly unappreciated, which is sad because both have some rather unique roles to them. Before D/P, Dunsparce was the only pokémon capable of seriously making use of Serene Grace (Yay paraflinch/freeze Dunsparce) and Qwilfish remains the most hilarious Kyogre counter in existence. Both have awesome designs too, which really makes me wonder why they are forgotten while the generic Normal/Flying birds and umpteen nominally different psychic legendaries are not. <.<

Last edited:

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
I like theme songs and ending songs :). If a song is within a story I like lyrics the most if they are a active a part of the story, aka someone singing, playing it , or the radio being on etc...

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
Years
Actually, my true favorite would be Cradily, but whereas the hugable prehistoric barnacle is merely neglected, Feebas is outright shunned for what seems to me to be nothing more than a few lines of stupid flavor text. Hence, I feel inclined to stand up for the poor little things. ;.;

*squeals fangirlishly* I LOVE CRADILY!

They look like giant plushies, and their type cross is pretty cool... at least, it gave me a helluva lotta trouble the first time I ever had to fight it, 'cos I didn't know what types it was and all the common elementals didn't work. XD

And did I mention that they look like giant plushies?

<3.

Ahh...Dunsparce and Qwilfish...it's true that both are horribly unappreciated, which is sad because both have some rather unique roles to them. Before D/P, Dunsparce was the only pokémon capable of seriously making use of Serene Grace (Yay paraflinch/freeze Dunsparce) and Qwilfish remains the most hilarious Kyogre counter in existence. Both have awesome designs too, which really makes me wonder why they are forgotten while the generic Normal/Flying birds and umpteen nominally different psychic legendaries are not. <.<

See, this is interesting. :P I don't read nearly enough to know which pokemon are used the most or not, although dunsparce is a pretty obvious one... so it's nice to know which ones are and aren't used--and then there's the really fun part of considering why.

Aside from the fact that there are other pokemon which are just cool, there are probably logical reasons why some pokemon are used over others. For instance it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that dunsparce is a great digger, since that's its escape method... but since diglett are natural diggers, a lot of trainers would probably go with them instead. I'm actually really having trouble trying to imagine a scenario in which dunsparce couldn't just be switched with another pokemon... although I suppose with a drill for a tail, maybe it can drill through rock, which diglett can't? And since it's smaller it'd be able to make a hole with more precision than, say, a rhydon?

...and I just looked up its TM/HM movepool. O.O WOAH, that little fella's flexible! Talk about underestimation... *forum rumbles under the churn of creative juices flowing*

Quilfish (despite being a water-type) is a little too small to be used as a great surfer, but I can so see it being a ninja-classed pokemon... I mean, it's water/poison, so the combination could mean that its poison might mix better with water than other poisons, thus providing a reliable form of undetectable assassination through food/drink...

...and I have come to the conclusion that I'm rambling, so just ignore me. ^.^;;; But yes, even though I'm not hyped on the OU/UU debate, I still like hearing which pokemon are which just to try and analyse why and imagine scenes in which such pokemon could be uniquely used. :P

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
Yesh Yamato, I do have no life, and sit here on my computer reading your long-ass posts (not sarcasm)

I don't. I think it sometimes will make a story to cliche is you add them in. Well, sometimes I may sneak in one teeny tiny half a verse, but that's it.

Urgh...a tough question. I sit there staring blanking at the computer screen thinking of an appropriate title until my head explodes and something pops out.

Tee-hee...managed to naughtily sneak my way to enough computer time to finish this, so...commenting on a few things. :3

You fiend! HOW DARE YOU SNEAK YOUR WAY TO ENOUGH COMPUTER TIME!

*gasp* I thought you loved Feebas. Now I'm sad...

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
See, this is interesting. :P I don't read nearly enough to know which pokemon are used the most or not, although dunsparce is a pretty obvious one... so it's nice to know which ones are and aren't used--and then there's the really fun part of considering why.

like I said, reading others' fanfics doesn't concern me. The only time I'll give any thought to the idea of "underused/overused" is when I'm just using a random Pokemon and consider which ones appear too much or too little in the official franchise. In that regard, Dunsparce and Qwilfish see practically no love (oh yeah... forgot if I mentioned it before, but I'm using a Dunsparce in the erogee ^^).

Interestingly enough, Cradily is sadly neglected in the official franchise as well. I mean, I think it got a pretty decent battle against Roxanne in the Special manga, but in the anime, its debut (and thus far, its only real appearance) was pisspoor. And is anyone but me getting annoyed that every time fossil Pokemon are featured in the anime (fossil Pokemon themselves rarely being brought up and almost never shown to be owned by a Trainer despite finally incorporating the games' resurrection method since Advanced Generation), they always gotta focus on the same ones? Aerodactyl, Kabutops, Armaldo.... the "they look like vicious monsters so let's use them in a Gaijuu movie spoof" crap is REALLY getting old.

Yesh Yamato, I do have no life, and sit here on my computer reading your long-ass posts (not sarcasm)

so apparently, my rants are long yet interesting enough to make someone their b****. YAY!!! ^^

I agree with Dragonfree in that if someone's like Shinji Ikari, I think by the end of the fic, I'd like to take them out back and put them out of their miseries, Old Yeller-style. On the other hand, I also like it when protagonists are human, with their own uncertainties, senses of confusion, doubts, quirks... the little psychological imperfections that would lead them right into conflicts with the story while keeping their minds realistic. (So, I mean the slightly neurotic skeptic here, not the angsty suicidal teenager.) It's always fun to see what sort of problems a slightly troubled character inadvertently gets himself into and how he digs out of it without breaking down into "daddy never loved me!" fits. Yes, I'm looking at you again, Shinji.

actually, I'd say the angst in Evangelion is justifiable. Sure, Shinji's miffed that his father doesn't love him, but it's not like that's the only thing he focuses on every waking moment of his life.

Spoiler:

People really need to stop confusing genuine angst with all these "the world hates me" emo kids commonly featured in the media. I mean, if someone's entire family was slaughtered right before their eyes, would you honestly expect them to get over that? Especially within a weeks time? I think not. If anything, it's when they show weakness in succumbing to sorrow (or some other problem they've got going on) like that that they'll seem more realistic, more human.

Anyway, I'll answer the new questions later.... there's only three right now. Hopefully, it won't build up a lot like it did last time, but unless you guys get really nuts with bringing in the new questions, such won't be the case by the time I post (possibly tomorrow).

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
actually, I'd say the angst in Evangelion is justifiable. Sure, Shinji's miffed that his father doesn't love him, but it's not like that's the only thing he focuses on every waking moment of his life.

While I'm not sure if the manga differed drastically, most of Shinji's problems in the anime apparently stem from the abandonment he suffered, and because his father rejected him and then forced him into isolation (via putting him in situations where he kills off the people he gets close to), he finds himself in a state of constant loneliness. So, in that sense, yes, he dwells on it.

Personally, I found the entire situation of his father abandoning him and then forcing him to kill off a nice number of living creatures (Kaworu and Toji included) to be unrealistic to begin with, but then, that's the basis of the show anyway, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back