• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gold hack: Pokemon Bronze [COMPLETED]

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2012
Wow! This hack really looks awesome! Can't wait for the demo and keep up the good work Freako! :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
It's here!

Click the label to download.

Don't forget to leave feedback in this thread after playing, so I can better improve it and fix bugs.
PokemonBronzeDemo.rar

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Is there any chance you could use a less awful sharing site next time (like Mediafire)?

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Does it really matter?
If you really can't wait 45 seconds.

It's not that. There's also an ad with a "Premium Download/Regular Download" (like Megaupload had) and when you click it has a timer. IT TRICKED ME. I mean seriously? Who does that? It went all out.

Anyway I played through until the end. I'm convinced it's impossible to win against the Politoed without catching and grinding a Mareep (lolthatsoundsgrosstho). Other than that, there were some minor errors, but I liked it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
Can you explain the minor errors so I can fix them?

Ok, I updated the download with some bug fixes, so re-download if you've already got it and apply the .ips to another unmodified Gold rom.

Last edited:

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Great job. I've been visiting this thread a while reading some of your updates. Amazing job you two did on this. Also will be back to post about the beta once I get a chance to play it *who knows when that will be since I'm so busy*.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 13, 2020
Dunno if it's a bug or not, but I can't seem to encounter any Pokemon on Route 1. lol

Great hack so far, though!

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
Yeah, I tried to fix that but couldn't, there are pokemon on route 1 in the full game though.
Really odd.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I played through the demo and liked the game so far. I really don't know how to describe it other than it's a good hack for starting out. There are quite many things that need fixing but it's understandable as this is the first hack you're creating. But it's actually a very good one if you ask me.

Anyway, I checked that you're trying to load the wild pokemon data for Route 1 under Kanto's wild pokemon data (original Route 27 to be exact). I'm not sure but I believe, it may be the problem you're having because it would be meaningless to have two wild (grass) pokemon tables if they weren't looked in different kinds of situations. Move the wild pokemon data, of Route 1, under the table that Johto uses and see if it works that way.

Other minor oddities:
Code:
-A person inside Littlepond's mart mentioned BALLS as NALLS.
-In Littlepond when facing your rival, she disappears before the script ends instead of walking off screen.
-Pikachu in Red's house doesn't have a cry. A little bit of adjustments to its script wouldn't hurt (4C xx yy 83 19 00 53 49 90).
-Scientist in Prof. Oak's lab walks away (with no good reason, I think?) during the script (I know, you're using the existing event that is launched going inside Mr. Pokemon's house but still, it could be worked on).
-The ones blocking Route 3 could be made to act so that they would first face you, and say whatever they need say, and then face back towards the direction they were facing before.
-In Junction Park, there is a leftover text-script that can be read by talking to a tree, same with Russet Town (I actually noticed these when I was taking a look at the maps so that I could see what map Route 1 was based on and started doing some bug-hunting while at it).

P.S
The trainer you face is determined by its script. If you look under "Event structure" in Tauwasser's Scripting Compendium, you'll see how you can work them out (pointing to the fact there are wrong types of trainers in the gyms).

Yet this hack has potential to go far if you keep practising and improving it. Of course if you don't feel like spending that much time with this one, you can always start another hack if you don't want to stop the "rom hacking business".

Last edited:

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
Yeah I've been looking forward to this demo for a while, and was not disappointed. Besides the little bugs that were mentioned above, this demo is pretty fun (haven't finished it yet, at Brown Cave). Good job man :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
Other minor oddities:
Code:
-A person inside Littlepond's mart mentioned BALLS as NALLS.
-In Littlepond when facing your rival, she disappears before the script ends instead of walking off screen.
-Pikachu in Red's house doesn't have a cry. A little bit of adjustments to its script wouldn't hurt (4C xx yy 83 19 00 53 49 90).
 [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, people.

I've fixed the NALLS error, I think the rival disappearing before going off screen is I ran out of space to add one more step_right to the code, it's only a one time thing so I don't think I need to change it.

Pikachu without a cry, I would have put it in but I could not find anywhere at all a list of Pokemon crys and their hex value so I had to leave it blank.
Do you know where one is, miksy?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I think the rival disappearing before going off screen is I ran out of space to add one more step_right to the code, it's only a one time thing so I don't think I need to change it.
It's easy so let's just fix it shall we ;) ?

You can easily repoint the move data in blank space at the end of that bank. For example in the demo, there is free space for it in 0x1225AA. The pointer to it is AA 65 and you'd have to put it in 0x120503.

I calculated the pointer this way:
0x1225AA - 0x120000 (start of the rom bank) + 0x4000 = 0x65AA
Then you just rotate that address around because most GB/C pointers are little-endian: AA 65

Start of the rom bank is always a multiple of 0x4000.

In 0x120501 is the command for moving the sprite of rival:
68 (Applymovement, script command)
03 (Person no. to move, in Johtomap No. 1)
A5 45 (Current pointer to move data).

Pikachu without a cry, I would have put it in but I could not find anywhere at all a list of Pokemon crys and their hex value so I had to leave it blank.
Do you know where one is, miksy
Pikachu's cry value is the same 0x19 just like it's pokedex number is (25 in decimal). What I wrote above (4C xx yy 83 19 00 53 49 90) is a code you can use to make the game display text and keep text box open until Pikachu's cry is played and let the player close the text box by pressing A button and end the script.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
Thanks for the cry stuff, I managed to fix a few crys now with that help.

But the other stuff really alludes me, I wish I could understand it but data repointing just confuses the hell out of me.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2020
So how far exactly does the beta go? Game looks pretty good and reminiscent of the Gen II. Can't wait till it is 100% finished

Back