• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
No one said this. Don't pull straws.

To some this is a problem, regardless if they're broke or not. Look at it this way: Why should I pay 5$ YEARLY to a necessary feature when I could have had it from the start? A very reasonable complaint.

It's less of a money problem (no one said it is) and more of a problem with this practice. It's anti-consumer. It's reasonable why no one would want to do support this regardless if they can pay or not. That, and you can get MUCH more important and better stuff for 5 dollars, so to most this is just not worth the money.

Personally I couldn't care less about this feature since I have no use for it, but it's understandable why people are unfavorable to this. No reason to attack them.

None of what you said is true. It's not anti consumer. A service in which you can store your pokemon online is one of the best ideas.

Why should you have to pay?!?! Give me a break your talking not even 2 penny's a day.
Please make other cloud based services less than 2 cents a day , or less than 14 cents a week or less than 60 cents a month I guarantee you it wouldn't be called anti consumer .

Now a days what can you truly get for $5 that will last a year , tell me that?

If you don't want it don't get it. It's not needed to complete the game , it just makes it alot easier

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
None of what you said is true. It's not anti consumer. A service in which you can store your pokemon online is one of the best ideas.

Why should you have to pay?!?! Give me a break your talking not even 2 penny's a day.
Please make other cloud based services less than 2 cents a day , or less than 14 cents a week or less than 60 cents a month I guarantee you it wouldn't be called anti consumer .

If you don't want it don't get it. It's not needed to complete the game , it just makes it alot easier
The only way I'll see it as anti-consumer is if they purposefully have less boxes than BW making us have to get this in order to get one of every Pokémon...I doubt they'll do that though...the backlash will be large...

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Sure. But for 5 bucks a year, especially since people mostly want it for transferring? Get real.

Not bothering with this.

In the same eShop I can get games for 5 bucks and less, some that can last forever. I mean damn, Donkey Kong on the gameboy is a better game than 99% of the games released today, and I can get it just for 5 bucks. That's true value there. (and it's certainly a game that lasted me more than a year.)
I'm not getting it since I have no use for it. However, I can understand why people who want to transfer have a problem with this. I mean, it's not hard to get why they're angry about this.

For a lot (most...) they're gonna have to pay 5 buck JUST to transfer, which costs too much. If it's only for storing, people wouldn't be mad.

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
Sure. But for 5 bucks a year, especially since people mostly want it for transferring? Get real.

Not bothering with this.

In the same eShop I can get games for 5 bucks and less, some that can last forever. I mean damn, Donkey Kong on the gameboy is a better game than 99% of the games released today, and I can get it just for 5 bucks. That's true value there.

I'm not getting it since I have no use for it. However, I can understand why people who want to transfer have a problem with this. I mean, it's not hard to get why they're angry about this.

For a lot they're gonna have to pay 5$ dollars JUST to transfer, which costs too much. If it's only for storing, people wouldn't be mad.

Nothing you said was valid , besides first month is free people can transfer all their pokemon for free. And it's not just for transferring, your paying for the storage the transfers are just a bonus

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I don't really see a problem with $5 a year.. The only other option (had they not have done this) for people to transfer Pokemon independently (which is something I do often for challenges) would be to purchase another 3DS, which is quite a bit more expensive.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Pokebank is 5 bucks a year....
And it's a managed service they intend to use for years to come?
I hope so, so many other online services seem to fall by the wayside ( Dream World :( )

Mega evos of the gen 1 starters, and the way they were talking it leads me to believe that most pokemon will in some way be able to mega evolve. . .

Quick shots of new pokemon.

An x/y themed 3dsxl?

This was all so cool! So glad I watched!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Granted that he still has issues with those sneaky pebbles, Mega Charizard's pros will it a force to wrecken with until everyone trembles.

Darkendra

Leader Of Team Dark Shade
Years
Since it seems to be a recurring trend now I'm hoping we can all expect Mega Evolutions of all the starters.
I especially am looking forward to a Mega Samurott.
I'm hoping they make him look like an old school Shogun!
That would just be EPIC!

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
So did anyone spot this weird absol lookin like pokemon in the nin. direct?
EDIT:Nvm. I think this was already posted on here?
direct98.jpg

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
But for 5 bucks a year, especially since people mostly want it for transferring? Get real.

Sorry, it costs money to maintain cloud servers. I don't get what people don't understand about this. Honestly, if they were looking to make a solid profit off of this program, it seems that they'd probably be charging monthly for it. It also seems that they are planning to integrate it into future Pokemon games/spin-offs. It's ALSO a way to keep hacks from making their way into the games, which people are constantly complaining about.

It is free for the first part of its release -- so if the only reason you wanted it was to transfer your Pokemon, then you can do so at no cost. I really think people are getting almost whiny in here. It seems to address many of the issues that people have complained about in the past (transferring Pokemon 1 by 1, hacked Pokemon in the games, the need for 2 systems/games) and the cost associated with it is more along the lines of maintenance than making a profit (would be far more profitable for them to charge even a dollar a month). Unless they cripple the game by limiting storage to the point where it's necessary to use the Bank, this seems absolutely fair to me.

For those of you who are unable to get to a store to buy eShop cards, you can also order them from major online retailers like Target & Amazon (at least in the US).

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2016
I dont know if i can wait another month... I bought a 3DS XL just get a good experience out of the game. This is going to be epic with Fennekin and mega Venasaur ****ch yes!

Years
I don't really see why 5$/YEAR is such a big deal. The price is really low. And if you don't want to pay you got enough time to find all the Pokemon you want, collect them in Black/White/B2/W2 and transfer them to X during the free trial month.

Also, this bank will be compatible with future titles so, filling the Pokedex will be so easy now. I really endorse this service.

Years
I hope that the price stays stable, and they don't raise it eventually, just imagine all the complaining that'll cause...now on the other hand if the prize were to drop...of course it all depends on how expensive it is to run the cloud server...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
Wow I'm very late with this but the info revealed in the direct is just awesome. Receiving the Kalos and Kanto starters in the main game is great. The game's story is interesting to me being something original with a very fresh change to the beginning of the game. I already know that some will hate these changes to their nostalgic Gen 1 Pokemon but the mega-evolution of the Kanto starters was really the icing on the cake. Overall, there is no words I can use to describe the epic mega evolutions that is not already said in this thread.

So I deciding to give them a rating (1-10). It will be based of their new appearances and abilities:

1. Mega-Venusaur = 8.5 (not much change in aesthetics but the thick fat ability will be the best new ability imo out of the original three underrated because it eliminates some of its weakness and making it a tank but will likely get the least amount of usage due to the lack of physical change).

mega_venusaur_official_art_300dpi_thumb.jpg

2. Mega-Charizard = 9.0 (I really like Charizard's new look! Just image the shiny version lol. The best phrase to describe its new look is ''a meaner looking dragon.'' The drought ability is a good ability just look at Ninetales! But seriously it would've been a ''10'' rating if he would gain a dragon type and lessen the effect of stealth rock).

Mega-charizard-01.jpg

3. Mega-Blastoise = 9.5 (It got the most change out of the three, I mean he now has arm canons now along with a rocket launcher on it back absolutely sick, I would've given it a ''10'' rating also but its not clear exactly what the Mega-Cannon ability is besides giving a boost to moves with pulse in their names such as, Water Pulse, Dragon pulse, etc).

tumblr_mslmcmwF8b1qlh7rxo1_400.jpg

Outside of that information; the new transfer of Pokemon is cool but I personally wont use it. The annual price of $5 after the free trail is not bad for an Eshop app since most of them you must immediately pay for either way it was that or no pokemon transfer at all so one really can't complain too much outside of the kids asking their parents for their credit/debit cards lol. But if you transfer your pokemon during the trial period you wont have to spend a dime. A final note on Pokemon transfer is there will be storage for 3,000 pokemon indicating that this will be the go to app for Poketransfer for future games but still no one has 3,000 pokemon.

There is still a CoroCoro leak to go through and more updates to the info in the pokemon direct on the official website so the month of September will provide a lot of info to digest as well as growing hype and last minute marketing perfectly executed by Nintendo. Heck they did a whole new console to coincide with the Oct 12 release date talk about marketing. Currently the Kalos starters have been overshadowed for the past month. But I still want to know their evolutions before the games come out.

Sorry for long post and poor writing I was so excited when typing, its corrected now though :)

Last edited:

Years
Wow I'm very late but the info revealed in the direct is just awesome. Receiving the Kalos and Kanto starters in the main game is great. The game's story is already excellent being an original and a very fresh change to the beginning of the game. The mega-evolution was really icing on the cake I think no one should really complaint about how they are ruining older Gens or something like that because I already know that what some are saying that. But there is no words I can use to describe the epic mega evolutions that is not said already in the thread.

If I had to give a rating (1-10) based of appearance and new abilities it would be this:

Mega-Venusaur = 8.5 (not much change in aesthetics but the thick fat will be the best new ability out of the original three unrated becuz it eliminates some weakness)

mega_venusaur_official_art_300dpi_thumb.jpg

Mega-Charizard = 9.0 (Love Charizard's new look just image a Shiny lol a phrase to describe its looks is ''meaner'' drought is a good ability just look at Ninetales but it would've been a 10 if he would gain a dragon type and lessen the effect of stealth rock but there is not enough details yet so it could happen?! Hopefully)

Mega-charizard-01.jpg

Mega-Blastoise = 9.5 (the most change out of the three, I mean he has arm canons now along with a rocket launcher on it back absolutely sick, I would've given it a 10 but I not clear on exactly what MegaCannon ability does besides boost move with pulse in their names such as, Water Pulse, Dragon pulse, etc.)

tumblr_mslmcmwF8b1qlh7rxo1_400.jpg

Outside of that information; the new transfer of Pokemon is cool (but I personally wont use it) the annual price of $5 after the free trail is not bad for a app either that or no pokemon transfer so can't really complain too much outside of kids asking their parents for their credit/debit cards lol. But if you transfer your pokemon during the trial period you wont have to spend a dime. A final note on Pokemon transfer is wow 3,000 pokemon that crazy no one has 3,000 pokemon but it might stick around for future games like Nintendo said.

Their is still a CoroCoro leak to go through and more updates to the info in the pokemon direct on the official website so the month of September will provide a lot of info to digest as well as growing hype and last minute marketing perfectly executed by Nintendo. Heck they did a whole new console to coincide with the Oct 12 release date talk about marketing. Currently the Kalos starters have been overshadowed for the past month. But I still want to know their evolutions before the games come out.

Sorry for long post :)
I agree with your ratings.

Sadly it's confirmed MegaCharizard will keep it's normal typing so no Fire/Dragon...sadly...the official site confirmed it btw.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Well, that's not exactly a bad news, but it would've given Charizard a lot more advantage if it was part dragon-type. It would've been able withstand many rock-type and electric-type hits. Also, by looking at Mega Venusaur, does anybody else get reminded of the clone Venusaur from Mewtwo Strikes Back? They look kind of similar due to the mark on their foreheads. xD"

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
First I must say the three of them look pretty boss. Charizard is my favorite!

My evaluation of the three...

Venusaur: He gets Thick Fat which means he has two less weaknesses. However, a lot of people are forgetting that what made Venusaur OU in 5th gen was Chlorophyll, and that is gone with the Mega Evolution. Without Chlorophyll, Venusaur wasn't anything special. This means he'll need to be played much differently than before and, unless he has a hefty boost to his defenses, I can see him actually dropping in usage.

Charizard: He got the biggest boost among them. Drought is such an amazing ability! Stealth Rock will still be a problem, but I expect Charizard to be at the very least low OU with this change. The boost to Sp.Atk. and the nearly unresisted coverage from Fire and Dragon moves (although he doesn't have a Dragon STAB) will make him a very potent attacker, stronger than Moltres, and Fire Blast from this thing will HURT.

Blastoise: His new ability, I believe, does more than what we're being told. I'm expecting hefty boosts to Hydro Pump and Water Spout, all of which Blastoise can utilize well. I haven't seen which of his stats are boosted but, considering he's always been the tank among the three Kanto starters, and considering his great defensive typing, I believe that, if he gets a defensive boost, he'll be among the best bulky Water Pokémon in the game.

Well, that's not exactly a bad news, but it would've given Charizard a lot more advantage if it was part dragon-type. It would've been able withstand many rock-type and electric-type hits. Also, by looking at Mega Venusaur, does anybody else get reminded of the clone Venusaur from Mewtwo Strikes Back? They look kind of similar due to the mark on their foreheads. xD"

Yeah but leaves Charizard vulnerable to Ground moves unless he has Levitate. I sure as hell prefer a Fire/Flying Charizard with Drought than a Fire/Dragon Charizard with Levitate.

Also, Dragon-type means he's vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes in addition to Stealth Rock, so it may not have been a good idea to give him a Dragon type instead of Flying.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
Thanks for the feedback on my post I edit it accordingly. I would love to hear what yall ratings are and some brief overall thoughts on the Pokemon Direct info.

Back