Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page Our Generation is Stupid?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old March 21st, 2014 (11:42 AM).
i am the cosmos
ModeratorEO

Send a message via Skype™ to maccrash
pretty sure there is still a semblance of a cool stigma attached to smoking cigarettes. if anything, it's moved onto weed.

our generation isn't more stupid, I don't think. pretty sure there were morons in every generation. personally, I know a lot of really smart people in my grade (a lot of my friends are); not so much book smart, but you can tell they're just intelligent people haha. it's kind of annoying how people are saying that this generation is so much dumber than previous ones, tbh.
Old March 21st, 2014 (02:39 PM).

Nature: Sassy
I'm sorry but LMFAO at your professor. We have 5x the amount of words in our language than we did in Shakespearean times. We also come across more information in a week's worth of the New York Times than what most people came across in a lifetime in the late 1800s. I can't source either of those, unfortunately, but I remember my career planning professor showing us an educational video with those statistics.

Anyway, I use whatever words best describe whatever I'm talking about. I don't care if I come off as pretentious if I use a word that isn't exactly common, but I feel best describes a situation. Get learnt, son.

As far as our generation, we get a pretty bad rep imo. We're often labeled the most selfish generation but surprise, surprise, the baby boomers had that reputation from their preceding generations when they were roughly our age, too.

A lot of it is probably ageism, but it is true that we are currently living in a generation that has had the most educational and technological growth than any other time in history. I do feel like that fact in itself is a factor in the growth of our generation.

I actually have high hopes for our generation, just give us another fifteen to twenty years. I feel we're currently the most sociologically advanced generation, and that things are starting to move into the right direction morally. Of course, that's subjective, though.
Old March 21st, 2014 (06:30 PM).
Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!

Nature: Relaxed
Well, everyone's different. There's the people who don't tend to use proper spelling or grammar, and then there's the people who do. However, with texting, Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, and other websites of the sort, proper grammar/spelling is falling away. People just type whatever's quickest, and ignore the rules of English. And, unfortunately, that then influences the younger generation, and so forth. There is potential for it to go downhill, and I think it probably will, but there are the people who still use spelling and grammar properly. For example, there's a lot of people I've seen on here who do, so there is hope!

Also, I haven't met many young people who read a lot, which is disappointing, because reading is amazing.

I do agree with you on learning important things, but I think there has to be a certain amount of desire to learn it. I mean, if you force them to learn, then chances are they'll forget it after the test. If they want to learn it, and you teach them it, then they'll be more likely to remember.
Old March 22nd, 2014 (02:48 PM).
すごい
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by AzaleaLightning:
Anyway, I use whatever words best describe whatever I'm talking about. I don't care if I come off as pretentious if I use a word that isn't exactly common, but I feel best describes a situation. Get learnt, son.
"Get learnt, son" has just been appropriated. Kthx

Quote:
As far as our generation, we get a pretty bad rep imo. We're often labeled the most selfish generation but surprise, surprise, the baby boomers had that reputation from their preceding generations when they were roughly our age, too.

I actually have high hopes for our generation, just give us another fifteen to twenty years. I feel we're currently the most sociologically advanced generation, and that things are starting to move into the right direction morally. Of course, that's subjective, though.
From a developmental perspective, there's a perfectly logical reason that the newest generation would be the most selfish generation. Everyone basically starts off as a selfish organism, after which we learn to care for an ever-widening group of others. Our generation has had the least amount of physical time to develop advanced worldviews. Developmental growth can be accelerated, but it's generally a messy, fluid affair that progresses in fits and starts.

Another factor in the perception of our generation being a stupid one is the perennial tendency to compare the worst of 'modernity' with the best of 'antiquity' - metaphorically speaking - and then conclude that everything is only getting worse.

In fact, anytime someone says that world is only getting worse, I mentally prepare a spiel regarding the increasing intensity of both possible dignities and possible disasters that come with every new evolutionary epoch. Or something to that effect but less highbrow, depending on present company.
Old March 22nd, 2014 (03:19 PM).
Vengeance is Vine
Event Organizer

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Avenger
Language should be used with precision. Though, I will admit fault for not using the best, or most appropriate, diction.

Many words lose their original meaning. For instance, "this cake is exceptionally divine and decadent." What?

At a certain point, the language we use becomes nonsensical. We simply repeat phrases over and over again. This works well in a non-academic setting, expediting the time it takes to convey a thought to another person.

However, in academia, language really should be precise. Hackneyed phrases become hackneyed lines of reasoning. Overused, no critical thought.

I am sure there is plenty of that going on in this very paragraph. Though, I try my best to avoid buzzwords in my academic writing. Informally, in a non-academic setting, I don't see the problem with using hackneyed phrases and such; why should we invest effort in trying to discover new ways to phrase things when, we just need to communicate a piece of information?

Anyway, language considered "undeveloped" or "unskilled" isn't necessarily something to look down upon. Rather, I'd consider, in an informal setting, and in certain career settings, esoteric information and language can bog down the process of communication. Though, in academia, is necessary and specialized.

Thus, why different fields of study have specialized dictionaries/terminology for similar words. Just use wikipedia a few times and see "disambiguous" and then list a variety of fields of study.

Uh, back on topic. (Now I am second-guessing all of my hackneyed phrases)

The point is that language is evolving and becoming more and more understood among different cultures then any other time. The complexity and compartmentalization of diction in different academic disciplines also signifies a better understanding of shared language among professionals.

From a language standpoint, I'd say we are becoming more efficient, or smarter, for lack of a better phrase.

Artwork by Fairy+
Old March 25th, 2014 (03:42 PM).
Grey Cat

http://www.livescience.com/37095-humans-smarter-or-dumber.html
Quote:
Since IQ, or intelligence quotient, tests have been revised and standardized several times in the past 100 years, to see the Flynn effect, scientists have their volunteers take tests designed for previous generations. Flynn and his colleagues have found that all around the world, the new generations score higher on the old tests than the original test takers did.

The increases are no small matter, either — they vary by geography, but tend to be around three extra IQ points per decade.
Quote:
In November 2012, Stanford University School of Medicine researcher Gerald Crabtree published two papers in the journal Trends in Genetics suggesting that humanity's intelligence peaked between 2,000 and 6,000 years ago.

Crabtree based this assertion on genetics. About 2,000 to 5,000 genes control human intelligence, he estimated. At the rate at which genetic mutations accumulate, Crabtree calculated that within the last 3,000 years, all of humanity has sustained at least two mutations harmful to these intellect-determining genes (and will sustain a couple more in another 3,000 years).

I don't know if people are more or less intelligent, but I think people are becoming more knowledgeable.
Old March 25th, 2014 (04:52 PM).
Already Dead

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Monophobia
I think it all comes down to speed these days. Certainly "k ttyl ily" is faster than "Okay, talk to you later. I love you." especially when using an older phone. iDevice and other touch-screen users have no excuse, really. Typing on those keyboards is hardly difficult or time-consuming! I admit I do struggle when using candy-bar styled phones, though.

I'm not going to excuse those who type things like "boi" instead of "boy" because there's no real time-saving that comes from that kind of spelling.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links