• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Hey, is there any simple way I can just change the overworld player sprite to say, Gary or Lance? I'm not trying to edit the sprites, just make the player some other character already in the game, so I don't want to go into Overworld Editor and change pixel by pixel. Thanks
Well if you use NSE Classic you can export the pallet of Gary and a sprite library of him and import it back in over the hero. But there will still be things such as the fishing sprite that will be the normal hero unless you edit it.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I have two questions...The first is, what's the problem with Pokemarts? Whenever I attempt to program a new Pokemart for my game, half the time it freezes up, and the other half it works perfectly. Is there some kind of secret to the order?

Also...
With game-specific table file and a hex editor you can do much more than any normal trainer editor is capable of.
There ought to be some trainer editing tutorials for GSC in Tutorials section here.
Just out of curiousity, what is a table file, do they exist for Gen III, and where/how do I get/use it?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Just out of curiousity, what is a table file, do they exist for Gen III, and where/how do I get/use it?
Yes, you can write a table file for (almost) any existing game (and not going to mention which are the expectional cases but yeah).

Table file is just a normal txt-file (made with Notepad for instance) that contains letters and their hexadecimal numbers (which differ in almost every game - those depend on how the game is programmed to load the graphics of font).

Part of table file for GSC

Spoiler:

So, ABC is written as 80 81 82 in the ROM and abc as A0 A1 A2.
And by loading the table file with a hex editor, you can easily search for text and edit it.

There is a table file for FireRed here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13825.0.html

Years
I've created my own map in FR/LG style. I have no idea how to make a tileset or a tilemap though. I want to use either WRAP or NTME, but I don't know how to turn the .png of my map into a tilemap and tileset. Please help!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2012
I'm sorry, I've searched through this thread quite a bit (admittedly, I didn't go through all 826 pages, but I went through quite a few!) and I haven't found an answer to my particular question.

I want to replace Brock (and all of the gym leaders, really) with gym leaders I have made myself. Different pokemon, different types, different moves, all of that.

I have A-Trainer and Advance Map and XSE and all of that good stuff, but I haven't found a walk through on how exactly to do this. Could somebody help me out?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I've created my own map in FR/LG style. I have no idea how to make a tileset or a tilemap though. I want to use either WRAP or NTME, but I don't know how to turn the .png of my map into a tilemap and tileset. Please help!

I'm not entirely sure of what you're trying to do. Are you asking how you can save your map as a file along with a picture of the tileset you're using? If that's the case then you shouldn't be trying to use NTME or other tilemap programs as they don't have access to the data that Advance Map has. To save a 'tilemap' of your map, goto 'File > Map > Save As' which will save it as a .map file which can only be read/ opened by Advance Map.

Saving the tileses used by the map can be done by clicking the large purple puzzle piece at the top of Advance Map and going to 'Picture > Save Tileset 1' to save a picture of the first tileset, and 'Save Tileset 2' for the second tileset. These will be a saved as .png files so they can be opened/ edited in Paint or a similar program (this is how you can insert new tiles in hacks). The tileset you see in the main Advance Map window will look nothing like the picture you have saved, this is because the tileset has its own 'tilemap' in the form of 'blocks' which are saved in a similar style to the tilesets - Click 'Blocks' rather than 'Picture'.

In short, maps are a made from three tile maps - The map itself and the block data from the two tilesets - along with the two tileset .png files. There is no universal 'save tilemap and tileset' option available so the best you can do is to save all of five of these files if you wish to recreate your map within another ROM.

I'm sorry, I've searched through this thread quite a bit (admittedly, I didn't go through all 826 pages, but I went through quite a few!) and I haven't found an answer to my particular question.

I want to replace Brock (and all of the gym leaders, really) with gym leaders I have made myself. Different pokemon, different types, different moves, all of that.

I have A-Trainer and Advance Map and XSE and all of that good stuff, but I haven't found a walk through on how exactly to do this. Could somebody help me out?

If you're just wanting to change the data for the Pokemon a trainer/ Gym Leader has, then all you will need is A-Trainer. You need to find the specific trainer in the program, but it should be fairly easy if you know who they are - Just input their name in the box that says 'Start Search' and you'll be taken straight to them. To change their team click on '>> Pokemon Data' and you'll go to a second screen where you can see a whole wealth of data relating to their Pokemon (species, level, moves, held item etc) and you can use the scroll bar in the top right to swap inbetween Pokemon. If you wish to expand the number of Pokemon on their team/ add an extra item/ give the Pokemon custom attcks or items then you're going to have to repoint the data, but A-Trainer will do this for you by providing a recommended offset which you just have to copy and paste into a box before confirming. Just mess around in A-Trainer for a while and you'll definitely become proficient with it :D

redriders180

Years

He isn't talking about that kind of maps, i think he's talking about the world map.

There is a video here that shows exactly what I explain in the spoiler below.
Spoiler:

Years
Thanks, redriders180! This helped a lot. Now I need to know how to inject it into the ROM. I have tried following a couple of tutorials, but I ended up with some crazy garbled crap. I know I need unLZ-GBA, FSF, NTME, and a hex editor, all of which I have, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them.

redriders180

Years
Thanks, redriders180! This helped a lot. Now I need to know how to inject it into the ROM. I have tried following a couple of tutorials, but I ended up with some crazy garbled crap. I know I need unLZ-GBA, FSF, NTME, and a hex editor, all of which I have, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them.

The tutorial that worked best for me was this one...However, i took the easy route and used only the tiles from the original map, which meant all I really had to do was repoint the .raw. If that's one you tried but couldn't get to work, then maybe someone else here might be able to help better.

Years
complete and utter random lines and stuff, with no discernible tiles?

^This. Some of the random purple lines could be discerned as tiles, though not ones that I recognized from my original tileset. I'm not sure I indexed the image's colors correctly either. Would it help if I posted the map here?

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I hate sounding like a newb, but is there ANY way of using pokemon battle sprites that are larger than 64x64, as resizing is annoying. Please don't answer if your really not sure.

redriders180

Years
I hate sounding like a newb, but is there ANY way of using pokemon battle sprites that are larger than 64x64, as resizing is annoying. Please don't answer if your really not sure.

I've heard many times that the 64x64 sprites are a limitation of the GBA itself. There isn't a way to easily just make the sprites larger, without possibly overhauling a whole bunch of code to make it, for example, display four 40x40 sprites for each pokemon (which would be an 80x80 sprite), but it's fairly impractical, and as far as i know, unprecedented. Better to just deal with them, in my opinion

Years
I need help with a problem that always happens while i try to import sprites into my rom... whenever i try to, even when my sprite meets all of the sprite "standards", It ends up giving me a message like: "Sprite is not indexed", and the sprite is 64x64, the background colour is not similar at all to the sprite itself. I think it might have something to do with the paint program i have, and plus, i got a new laptop recently (that's the one I'm using) and i can't import sprites!

redriders180

Years
I need help with a problem that always happens while i try to import sprites into my rom... whenever i try to, even when my sprite meets all of the sprite "standards", It ends up giving me a message like: "Sprite is not indexed", and the sprite is 64x64, the background colour is not similar at all to the sprite itself. I think it might have something to do with the paint program i have, and plus, i got a new laptop recently (that's the one I'm using) and i can't import sprites!

The newest version of Paint doesn't support indexed files, which means if you open an indexed file in paint, it loses its index. To remedy this, I use Gimp, or Photoshop, which support indexed files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back