The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Is it just assumed Ash's Butterfree is a boy because it's mate was pink (a stereotipically'feminine' color) ?
I was thinking back on Ash's Butterfree for whatever reason, and it struck me that I always assumed it to be female when I was younger, only to discover differently later on Bulbapedia when it said it was male.
I rewatched "Bye Bye Butterfree" and they never seemed to mention gender at all. Was it mentioned in a previous episode I just don't recall?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM
Brittani
Pokefan for life!! (:

Nature: Calm
All I can find is that misty referred to the butterfree as a "he" in that episode. Im guessing we're supposed to assume its gender.

"Peace under an illusion is not true peace. It's only meaningful if the real world manages to accomplish it." - Gaara ♥

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittani View Post
All I can find is that misty referred to the butterfree as a "he" in that episode. Im guessing we're supposed to assume its gender.
Hey, thank you. That's reason enough for me, and it puts me at some peace. I get pretty frustrated when I don't have clarity!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:40 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Genders didn't really exist in Pokemon until Gen 2 so none of the Gen 1 Anime specifically states anything about gender often. They tend just to refer to Pokemon by their names rather than use pronouns to refer to them.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:16 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittani View Post
Well... that still isn't really convincing as it's just how it was edited in USA version...
If Kasumi said "kare" in the Japanese version then it would be confirmed, though...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:25 AM
Ichinish
Unhatched Egg

Is how XanderO said. When "Bye Bye Butterfree" was aired, there wasn't the gender-thing in the games.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links