• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Orion Version (Beta 1 Released)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Dunno if you want to take suggestions for the evil team name, but I just want to throw out "Apollo". My reasoning would be the myth of Orion and Artemis. In one version, it was Apollo who schemed to kill Orion, so I thought that this was fitting.

Hey, that's actually really good! I'll take that into consideration! ;)

So guys, I come with some better screenshots. Whaddaya think?

KgUkj.jpg

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Here's Beta 1

Here's a screenshot of it:
DlypD.jpg

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7leichtzj84am3o/Beta1.ups?dl=0
The ROM that I used is the one with 1986 in it's name; not sure if any others will work.

There are a few bugs in this version, and they'll get fixed soon.
So yeah, have fun with it. Huge thanks to Le Pug and Tcoppy for testing it, it really helped me improve it.

Ends at the end of Gym 2

Last edited:

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
Time for a quick bug list! (I haven't gone through all of the beta, so this might be too little?)
148j1j8.png

Yeah..., the text box won't disappear, allowing the player to run freely with that stuck there until you interact with something else.

9acviw.png

Text bug.

11vs6li.png

This guy still refers to Professor Birch. I missed capturing the first part, but yeah...

2crwt5g.png

This TV will return to flash after interacting with it and moving to another room.

Pictureless bugs:
Running animation from the side makes the protagonist look like he's stiff while running.

Thoughts and reactions:
After getting rid of the blockade of the right, I feel like you should put another barrier, so that you can meet with the Professor before running to the right and going to a Trainer battle. But, the beta is good so far. I just need to replay the beginning again, since I forgot to save before closing. (actually, I missed a few things, so I'll be restarting to get everything I can) Keep up the good work! This will be a fun one :)

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
I was supposed to give a larger bug list if I found any more, but I've been busy studying for finals. I'll probably have another one up next week, maybe.

EDIT: I'm actually busy this week with house chores, so I was wondering if someone can take up the task of looking out for bugs on this hack.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 30, 2016
wow this hack is nice looking. Will beta1 be compatible with beta2 or will I have to restart the game? :)

Yours sincerely,

Murderlinez

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
The thing that stood out the most to me with this hack definitely has to be the scripting! It's very well thought-out and presents great.

I know I already mentioned it to you before Danny, but you may want to manually adjust the text in VBA/XSE instead of using XSE's built-in adjuster... and also look to breaking up sentences by the boundaries between subjects and predicates. For flow reasons, I mean. It'll read nicer.

Other than that, there's the temporary hero sprite others mentioned, and... I really don't have any other complaints! It's nice to see hacks that get away with being good despite not catapulting the graphics into the Nintendo DS style. :P

I've gotten about as far as the town with Verdanturf's music, and I really liked it. It's a bit tough battling but that's how it should be. The reality is my perception's warped and Citrite is unbalanced ^^;

Oh! One quick thing. Please, please use PNGs instead of JPEGs for your screenshots. Besides it bugging me a bit, it comes out awful with certain screens (like the one in your sig). Since it's for presentation it should be worth the effort of uploading them to Imgur, IMO.

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
Bug list part 2! (too lazy to put up a large list, so this'll be it for now)

-On the male version of the game, the sign that indicates what route you're on won't show up until after you reach Route 3.
-There's no animation of the Pokemon (I think it's because of the new sprites?)
294rtd5.png

Just me being nit-picky about the intro.

2lcmyc7.png

I feel like this might apply to both genders, but there's no barrier for the headrest.

jggmsm.png

This sign is only read from one position: the bottom of the sign.

x5xsur.png

Reflection sprite is a bit glitched, so... yeah...

2iitzz5.png

Capitalization error.

29p7kua.png

After entering the forest, there is a small time where you are unable to go back. Currently, the way to rectify this is to go into a battle. After that, the barrier is gone.

unblx.png

Cap error in Shed Skin.

30rr2me.png

Not sure if this is intentional, but you can reach this area without beating the first gym.

I'm currently at that point in the last picture. I'll be sure to go back and go through the first gym.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Hey guys, I haven't worked on this hack on a very long time, and it probably won't ever be finished, but I do still have a copy on my old computer. It was 3 Gyms long if I remember correctly, so I'll be releasing it here in (hopefully) a few days in case anyone wants to play it. Thanks for the support while I was working on it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
Hey guys, I haven't worked on this hack on a very long time, and it probably won't ever be finished, but I do still have a copy on my old computer. It was 3 Gyms long if I remember correctly, so I'll be releasing it here in (hopefully) a few days in case anyone wants to play it. Thanks for the support while I was working on it.
Cool

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
The sprites look really cool in this game

are you gunna change the main character sprite though?

Back