• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Kanto now has a new Flying-type Master! The LeafGreen run of this challenge is officially complete, and I'm off to give SoulSilver a go.

uOnN3T4.png

Lorelei was actually the most difficult part of the Elite Four - Bruno was a piece of cake, and Agatha was easy enough after having taught Golbat Shadow Ball. Even Lance fell to the powers of my Dragonite, Charizard and Aerodactyl. My nemesis, Kean, was a bit of a challenge, but Charizard and Butterfree pulled off a beautiful piece of teamwork with Sunny Dance and Solarbeam, which handily took Blastoise down.

Detailed description of my final team:

Spoiler:

Anyway, I'm off to make all of Johto shiver and make Falkner look like a simple Bird Tamer.

Years
Day two: one hit ko'd both of brocks pokemon! Woah!
Got the running shoes
Bulbasaur evolved on route 3
Youngster calvin and his spearow ko'd my ivysaur by pecking him to death. : (
Caught a paras in mt. moon!
Chose a dome fossil
Rival fight!
Pidgeotto. Used sleep powder, and tackled him to KO!! Muhaha!
Charmander: tried to use paras to paralyze him, but got one hit ko'd. used ivysaur and tried to use sleep powder, but missed. Ember took about 40% of my health. Sleep power hit on the second try, and then tackled him to a KO!
Abra: tackled him to KO, only took two hits.
Rattaa, vine whipped to Ko. Only took one hit.
Caught an Oddish!
Gym Battle #2: Misty!
Oddish absorbed the life right out of Staryu. Then did the exact same thing to Starmie! Boo-yeah!
After the battle with Misty, Oddish evolved into Gloom!
Decided to drop Paras from my team, he was weak!! Designated him to a CUT hm slave.
Made it to vermilion!
Combed through the S.S Anne
Rival fight
Pidgeotto: Sleep powder and acid from Gloom made short work of him. Only got one gust in!
Kadabra: Used disable, and disabled my acid! Got hit with confusion and was brought to 15hp!! I used sleep powder, and was disabled no more. Acid 1 hit ko'd Kadabra.
Charmeleon: Finished off my Gloom with an ember. Ivysaur used sleep powder, then Razor leaf. Charmeleon woke up, and burned Ivysaur. Charmeleon fainted, leaving Ivysaur with 2 HP, and a burn.
Raticate: Shifted to Paras, and used the turn to use a super potion on my Ivysaur. Raticate took out Paras with one hyperfang. Ivysaur used razor leaf, and brough raticate down into the red. Hyper fang brought Ivysaur down to 12 health, and the burn brought him to 2 hp. I tried to use tackle, but raticates quick attack finished me off.
I'm going to beat the trainers on route 11, and then try again later.
Time – 3:10

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Water mono: B2
Where did I stop? (/shrug) Anyhoo, just defeated Skyla with minimal effort. For once I wasn't forced to go back outside after defeating the trainers in order to heal. Easy peasy. Can't wait til I get to Undella.

Current team:
Spoiler:

Sidenote: Started a water monotype on LeafGreen. Gotten nowhere yet though.

Pekin

Years
Okay, so I just started out on my SoulSilver Flying run, and I'm trying to decide on a team. I'm definitely going for Noctowl, I've actually never used it, but I've always thought it was cool. Kinda useless, maybe, because I've always just needed a Flying type for Fly. Now that that's not really a problem, I'm definitely going for Noctowl. Also, I sort of want to use the generic bird of every region. Except Pidgeot. And I want to use Crobat, too. Last run I couldn't evolve my Golbat, but Crobat's a beast, no question there. Maybe Jumpluff, too. I dunno.

Anyway, so far I've just started building my team. I'll do a bit of training, then I'll show Falkner who's the real Flying Master!

Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Okay, so I just started out on my SoulSilver Flying run, and I'm trying to decide on a team. I'm definitely going for Noctowl, I've actually never used it, but I've always thought it was cool. Kinda useless, maybe, because I've always just needed a Flying type for Fly. Now that that's not really a problem, I'm definitely going for Noctowl. Also, I sort of want to use the generic bird of every region. Except Pidgeot. And I want to use Crobat, too. Last run I couldn't evolve my Golbat, but Crobat's a beast, no question there. Maybe Jumpluff, too. I dunno.

Anyway, so far I've just started building my team. I'll do a bit of training, then I'll show Falkner who's the real Flying Master!

Spoiler:
I've actually heard good things about Noctowl. Since you're playing SoulSilver, you won't have access to Mantine unfortunately. But Skarmory would certainly be a cool choice, even if it is pretty late into the main game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
very quick update on my Dark run

-went down Route 214 and caught a Houndour(which evolved into Houndoom on the first level-up)
-beat rival in Pastoria City
-caught a Skorupi in the Great Marsh

Team:
Umbreon
Lv. 44

Houndoom
Lv. 26

Skorupi
Lv. 27

HM Slaves:
Psyduck
-Rock Smash

Bidoof
-Cut

Noctowl
-Defog
-Fly

I am currently waiting for the Great Marsh to have a Skorupi.
In the meantime, I think I'll start the Black 2 part of this run.

I already did everything before the gym battle with Cheren in Black 2

Team:
Purrloin
Lv. 11

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Almost done Pearl for my Bug run. :)

Got Earthquake from wayward cave, taught it to Kabuteri.
So I took out Team Galactic once and for all.
Defeated Palkia.
Went to Sunyshore and challenged Volkner.
vs
136.gif

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

I'm really underleveled and gonna have to do some serious grinding four the Elite Four.

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Okay, so the first part of the Ice-Mono challenge on Platinum has been pretty uneventful, so I basically picked Turtwig,

went through the first 2 gyms and grabbed their badges
20px-Coal_Badge.png
20px-Forest_Badge.png
, then went to Hearthome and grabbed my female

Eevee and named her "Glacia", then I trained her up until she learned Bite and proceeded to barely get through

Fantina's gym for the
20px-Relic_Badge.png
Relic Badge. Oh, I am NOT looking forward to this Eevee Solo run, just 3 more Gym's to go

and I can have a Glaceon and a myriad of other Ice Types.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Update #9 for my HeartGold grass monotype run is just miscellaneous stuff after the 16th badge and before Red. Might as well give an update while I'm here.
Spoiler:

The team so far:
Spoiler:

And the fifth and final update for FireRed! Just defeated the Elite Four and the Champion/Rival! I'm not surprised I finished this before HeartGold.
Spoiler:

The team before the Elite Four (I wasn't able to get screenshots post-E4 because I couldn't get my FireRed rom to go into the post-game for some reason--weird since I don't have that problem with Emerald):
Spoiler:

I believe Garlic, Fava, and Azuki were Level 58 after the final battle, with Garlic being really close to 59.

TrollShammy80

Loved all Pokemon Since 98'
Years
I totally forgot to sign up for this...I'm recording the boss battles for youtube

Name: TrollShammy80
Challenge: Single
Game: Yin Black
Mono Type: Fighting
Team (Planned):
Emboar/Gallade/Conkeldurr or Hariyama or Machamp/Lucario/Scarfty/Toxicroak

www.youtube.com/trollshammy80

I've did alot in the first bit as you will see :D

Pekin

Years
I've actually heard good things about Noctowl. Since you're playing SoulSilver, you won't have access to Mantine unfortunately. But Skarmory would certainly be a cool choice, even if it is pretty late into the main game.

Yeah, I definitely look forward to finally putting Noctowl to use. And yeah, it kinda sucks that I don't get to use Mantine - another Pokémon I've actually never used before. Skarmory might be a bit too late into the main game for me, and I only have two spots left on my team, so I think I'm gonna use Skarmory in my Emerald run instead - my team now consists of Hoothoot, Zubat, Hoppip and Togepi. For the last two, I'm considering Gyarados and Yanmega, but nothing's really certain yet.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
>Started game with Lv.5 Bulbasaur
>Caught & evolved Weedle into Beedrill
>Defeated Brock
Pokemon-LeafGreen1-1_zps6e1a3b32.png

>Caught Zubat & Nidoran (f)
>Defeated Rival on Nugget Bridge
>Defeated Misty
Pokemon-LeafGreen2_zps18ecdde3.png

>Nidoran evolved to Nidorina & Bulbasaur to Ivysaur
>Defeated Lt. Surge
Pokemon-LeafGreen3_zpsffa680f8.png

>Zubat evolved to Golbat & Ivysaur to Venasaur
>Defeated Givonni
>Defeated Erika
Pokemon-LeafGreen4_zps3c0f07ba.png

>Caught Haunter

Spoiler:

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I just defeated Elesa in my flying run on Volt White 2 (man that was hard). Here is my team:

Butterfree level 39
Staraptor level 38
Shelgon level 38
Charizard level 38

All are doing great particularly Shelgon who is very strong now.

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
Another update although a small one this time (serves me right for signing up for 7 challenges at once). Finished training my team to level 20. Faced Misty and beat her fairly quickly (tried to get Zubat some exp since it seems to have a harder time than the other 3) but triumphed.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Update on Platinum
-defeated Crasher Wake
-chased the Galactic grunt
-delivered Old Charm
-defeated Cyrus
-flew to Jubilife and surfed to Canalave
-defeated rival
-went through Iron Island with Riley
-defeated Byron

Team:
Umbreon
Lv. 50

Skorupi
Lv. 34

Houndoom
Lv. 33

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Well my first update for Diamond.
Started with Piplup and quickly caught a Bidoof. Beat through the beginning of the game and beat Roark easily with my two Pokemon. I continue on to valley wind works and then catch a Shellos and Buizel. I continue through the forest. and get every one to level 20 with the free healing. Then I go on and defeat Erica, who I figured would be much harder.

Pekin

Years
Type: Flying
Game: SoulSilver
Badges: 2

Okay, so last time I posted here I was just about to challenge Falkner and show him who's really the Flying-type Master. Hoothoot blasted through the Gym with relative ease, barely backed up by Zubat. I then decided to catch myself a Hoppip, got a Togepi Egg, hatched it and decided I would be satisfied with a Bashful nature for my future Togekiss. Just before going through Union Cave, I decided that I wanted to use a Gyarados, so I caught myself a beautiful, Adamant Magikarp. And then I headed towards Azalea Town, kicked Team Rocket out of the Slowpoke Well and prepared myself for Bugsy. His Scyther was a bit of a *****, but eventually, after having Hoppip poison the mother****er and having Zubat confuse it, Togepi managed to take it down with Extrasensory. Then his two cocoons went down easily.

My team so far:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Dark run Platinum update

-caught a pair of Sneasel on Route 216
-defeated Candice
-found a Razor Claw in Cyrus's office in Galactic HQ
-evolved a Sneasel into a Weavile and evolved Skorupi into Drapion
-caught an Absol on Mt. Coronet
-defeated Cyrus and Giratina
-defeated Volkner
-got through Victory Road
i am currently training for the final rival battle and the Elite Four

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
Allright, round two *****
Pidgeotto Sleep powder, and razor leafed to KO!
Kadabra Sleep powder, and razor leafed. One hit ko
Charmeleon Sleep powder, and razor leafed!
Raticate razor leafed, critical hit, one hit ko!
…well that was easy… ONWARDS!
With cut in hand, I made my way over to the gym to take down lt. Surge. Gloom's acid made short work of all his Pokemon.
Went and got my bike and made my way to Rock tunnel
Whoops! Forgot about flash.
Made my way through diglett tunnel to pick it up, but I only have 5 kinds of pokemon. Damn!!
Went and caught a pidgy, caterpie, kakuna, rattata, and dugtrio, then got Flash and taught it to Paras!!
Ivysaur evolved in rock tunnel!
Made my way to Celedon, and took the rainbow badge for my own! Muhaha!
Went and wiped the floor with team rocket!! Gloom ran out of PP for both absorb and acid during the battle with Giovanni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back