• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Well the only thing I've tried mimicking GSC for is graphics of the battle screen. As far as the structure of the rest of the game (all kinds of data, Pokemon, maps, the whole game engine), I want to use Red as a base. I'm a much bigger fan of gen 1 than I am of gen 2 just becuse that's what I grew up with so it's what I prefer. Alot of my goals will be easier to accomplish in a Red hack rather than a Gold hack. Just cause the battle screen wouldn't have to be edited if I used Gold doesn't mean it would overall be a better choice for me :P

Pinta77

Wow this looks interesting. I didnt even know you could edit overworld in red/blue hacks. Ive never seen it done before, but it looks like you changed the overworld for the main character. Right?

Also, the sprites look really nice and so does the title screen. I'd definately be interested in playing this.

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
This really caught my eye now! Any developments? :D

Can't wait to try this hack, seems great, gogo, you got a fan here ahah

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Wow this looks interesting. I didnt even know you could edit overworld in red/blue hacks. Ive never seen it done before, but it looks like you changed the overworld for the main character. Right?

Also, the sprites look really nice and so does the title screen. I'd definately be interested in playing this.
Thank you very much!
And yes, right now the overworld screenshots show the overworld hero sprite for GSC. This is because originally I planned on using the GSC player back sprite for in battle. But once I stumbled upon Poketto's awesome custom player back sprite, I decided I will use that sprite which was made to match the style of the original player back sprite in Red but not pixely. I've only recently successfully got it in my hack, so now the overworld sprite will go back to how it originally looks.
I really love Poketto's sprite! :D

Kk0bN2r.png

This really caught my eye now! Any developments? :D

Can't wait to try this hack, seems great, gogo, you got a fan here ahah
Thanks alot! With the little free time I have to work on this, I've almost only worked on graphic improvements. I'm almost finished tieing up loose ends, so soon I'll strickly be working on connection data and then mapping! Then this hack will really take off :)

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Well an update has been well over due!

I've completely redone the screenshot section. Here's what's new:
Added support for unique trainer palettes and seperate palettes for Venusaur's/Ivysaur's back sprites (thanks to stag019)
Added support for 6x6 back sprites (thanks to Sawakita)
Added in an awesome player back sprite (credit for the sprite goes to Poketto)
Returned the title screen sprite and the overworld sprite for the player back to the original sprites now that I'm using Poketto's back sprite instead of Gold's back sprite.
Changed the palette used for the Pokeballs at the start of a battle to the red health bar palette without screwing up the health bars' palette once you send out a Pokemon (thanks to Sawakita)
Added my sprite recolors that I'm using in my hack done by me (some from GSC, some from Yellow, one from Green)

I also added a sprite sheet of all the trainer sprites that I'm using in my hack that Poketto has provided.

I think soon I'm going to add a credits section cause at this point there has definitely been a significant amount of help from several great people around here.

Oh! I also tacked on my hack's support banner at the end of the first post, in case any of you want to add it to your sig ;)
It would be greatly appreciated :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Small update.

I added Poketto's recolor of Cue Ball. Now there are only a few more gen 1 trainers that need to be revamped to fit the quality of the rest of the sprites.

Check it out in the screenshots section of the first post! :)

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
The backsprite for RED looks absolutely brilliant. As do all of the revamped Pokemon.

My question is, why didn't Nintendo do this in the original games? They look so much better this way. Excellent work, keep it up!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hello Dale! It's nice to hear from you again!
The backsprite for RED looks absolutely brilliant. As do all of the revamped Pokemon.
Thanks! I'm quite proud of how it's all turning out. :)
My question is, why didn't Nintendo do this in the original games? They look so much better this way. Excellent work, keep it up!
This is because all the biig blocky backsprites in the original game are actually really small images (3.5x3.5 tiles) which means there's not alot of room for any detail. And then these tiny sprites are zoomed to become 7x7 tile backsprites which causes them to look extra blocky. The reason they did it this way instead of just using bigger sprites was because of saving space. Back in the 90's when gameboys were still pretty new, they literally just didn't have enough room on the old gameboy cartriges to use 6x6 backsprites that take up alot more space. By the time GSC came out, cartriges could hold much more data, so it wasn't a hassle to use 6x6 backsprites. But with roms and emulators now, this isn't a problem anymore. :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Update!

Here are the Fire Red/Leaf Green devamp sprites that our now going in my hack:
jCuAhzv.png

Credit for the old man backsprite goes to Mateo. Credit for the Engineer goes to Luigi-San, and the Cooltrainer F was by PixelEye.
The other three were by me. :)

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
This looks absolutely brilliant. So much effort went into this and it shows. It looks like a 2nd gen. game. Aside from the technical aspects, I can't comment much snice the screenshots don't show too much detail about the progress of the overall hack. I'll have my eye on this one.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
This looks absolutely brilliant. So much effort went into this and it shows. It looks like a 2nd gen. game.
Thanks alot! :) You're right, it's taken a lot of time and effort.
I can't comment much snice the screenshots don't show too much detail about the progress of the overall hack.
I can agree with that. That should change soon enough. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2015
i would like to see this finished i woul definitley play. Keep up the good work.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Thank you! It'll certainly be finished with time :)

Anyway, here's a small update.
Finally learned how SGB packets work to color the screen.
I correctly colored the screen for the Box list in the PC:
tyIXUnN.png

And the Pokedex:
2CINKtd.png

Now, the Pokeballs are always red and white instead of a bunch of random colors! :P
You can check out these screenshots and several more in the first post! :)

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
This hack looks epic! The sprites its just.. Amazing!
Thanks! I always love the support! :)

Progress on this has stopped for the past few weeks with finals coming up and all. But things will be rolling again by next week! Thank you, everyone, for your patience! :)

Tackle

Pancham
Years
I really like Gen II Sprites, I think original Red's Sprites are bad. =)
I'll try this, it looks fun. =D

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
This is awesome and everyone needs to look at it! I wish someone could make a banner for this so I can put it in my signature.

Back