• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Beginner's guide to inserting d/p sprites into a gba rom(No need to outline)

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2010
can you show me how to do this with castlevania aria of sorrow please? id like to change the sprites of the main character Soma into Alucard from castlevania dawn of sorrow..... so far theres no tutorial to do so and i do hav a sprite sheet ready to be used

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2019
can you show me how to do this with castlevania aria of sorrow please? id like to change the sprites of the main character Soma into Alucard from castlevania dawn of sorrow..... so far theres no tutorial to do so and i do hav a sprite sheet ready to be used
i made this solely for pokemon gba games...but i dunno you could try unlz-gba with castlevania i think

DingoDD

I'll Import your Sprites
Years
OMG! This is like my 10th tutorial I've tried. And they all end in the same result. I follow everything and then it says the image is not indexed!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2010
What stealing?
Every good hacker knows how to do this but you don't even have to use the depixelize
(turn them to bubbles in photoshop and shrink without lost of quality).

FireFox

Dialga Fangirl
Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 24, 2018
Hi folks, I've got a small problem and the solution is probably right under my nose!

After following the steps shown, I get this:
1.jpg

But when I move to another image and go back, I get this...
2.jpg

I do believe (and hope) I indexed this correctly.
What have I done wrong? :(

Thanks in advance for your help.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Hi folks, I've got a small problem and the solution is probably right under my nose!

After following the steps shown, I get this:
1.jpg

But when I move to another image and go back, I get this...
2.jpg

I do believe (and hope) I indexed this correctly.
What have I done wrong? :(

Thanks in advance for your help.

Did you repoint the image? If you did, then the old sprite will still stay in the ROM, but would be unused. Simples.

But, I would check one thing. From noticing the colour order in the pallette, your background isn't the 1st colour.

The way I'd use is with Irfanview. Open Irfanview, save the image as a gif, with the option to select a transparent colour on (you pick these when saving the pic), and select the background after you have clicked Save.

FireFox

Dialga Fangirl
Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 24, 2018
Ugh! Why do I find this so difficult!

Ok, let me tell you the steps I took:
1. The sprite wasn't indexed so I opened it in Photoshop and indexed it there, no problems.
step1.png

2. I open Irfanview and change the 1st palette to the BG palette.
step2.png

3. I change the old BG palette to the colour that was in the 1st palette.
step3.png

(There's alot of black sections in here compared to the original tutorial, this is where I think I've messed up!).
4. I save the image.
*5. I then import the image into FireRed. Again, no problems here.
6. When I go in game, the background is visible but there is transparancy around the actual sprite.

*When I try to do the bit where you copy/paste the original image over the one from Irfanview, it became un-indexed. Even when I indexed it back I still got the same issue.

I followed Banjora Marxvile's suggestion to save it as a GIF but even this still produced the same issue.

H-help! :(

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Ugh! Why do I find this so difficult!
Ok, let me tell you the steps I took:
1. The sprite wasn't indexed so I opened it in Photoshop and indexed it there, no problems.
step1.png

2. I open Irfanview and change the 1st palette to the BG palette.
step2.png

3. I change the old BG palette to the colour that was in the 1st palette.
step3.png

(There's alot of black sections in here compared to the original tutorial, this is where I think I've messed up!).
4. I save the image.
*5. I then import the image into FireRed. Again, no problems here.
6. When I go in game, the background is visible but there is transparancy around the actual sprite.

*When I try to do the bit where you copy/paste the original image over the one from Irfanview, it became un-indexed. Even when I indexed it back I still got the same issue.

I followed Banjora Marxvile's suggestion to save it as a GIF but even this still produced the same issue.

H-help! :(

Look carefully at the last picture you have. The Black moved itself to the background, and as that is no longer the transparent colour, that explains the background.

I only use IrfanView, I recommend you Google it, and download it, and then use that, Decrease Color Depth to 16 colours, save it as a GIF, select the background as the transparent colour when it asks you to, and voila, indexed and ready to insert.

EDIT: I said use IrfanView, as it allows you to select the transparent background option when you save it (a little check box), so that is why it didn't work!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Is it my or why does my unLZ-hacked doesn`t got thus abort if image is to big thingy...?

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
Years
I followed the tutorial, and then I get this:
errorfi.png

What did I do wrong?
I guess it has something to do with the size, but the Torterra sprite of the tut wasn't resized too, so...

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
You inserted an 80x80 sprite. You apparently didn't read this good enough.
Oh, if you select all, then stretch and skew, It keeps the original pallet, and turns out cleaner :)

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2013
does anyone know how to change the pro. oak and pro. birch in the beginning intro to when you first start your game?

cause i've tried with no luck. the only thing i could change was the nidoran sprite that he shows you :/.

ComedyQuest

Noob Hacker
Years
What about for a small sprite like Chimchar? I try to look for a full size sprite everywhere, but there all 80x80. And for those sprites, Chimchar turns out too small. Help much?

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2018
Hi, I am really new to all this. I happen to have the same indexing problem like some previous posters though I still haven't found the solution yet. Most if not all have solved it but none actually mentioned how.

Every time I try to import the image, it still says "Error: Image not Indexed"

I have followed every single instruction and use the same tools. I tried saving in GIF format as suggested by someone. That took away the indexing problem but it is no longer too big to abort. In the end, my sprite sorta looked invisible.

Anyway, this is still a really helpful guide. :) Thanks.

EDIT: I think the root of the problem (for me at least) lies in pasting the original unindexed pic over the indexed one. I mean, wouldn't the pic revert back to being non-indexed if i pasted the original over the indexed pic? And for some reason, even after I exported my palette, the image in the game (or when re-opening unLZ) is different. Tried all sorts of methods (will try indexing using Photoshop soon) but still cannot solve this.

EDIT:

SOLUTION: Make sure you are not using Paint for Windows 7. For some reason, it just refuses to open the indexed pic as an indexed pic (and I think it changes it back to being un-indexed). Use Paint which came with Windows XP. One (noteworthy) thing though, I can't seem to save it under a different name but it's no problem actually. Not too sure about the one for Vista. Hope this helps as it worked for me. :P

Last edited:
Back