• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my team?

Years
I'm preparing for the Video Game Tournaments, I'll be going to the Spring one in my state. I have 2 definite pokemon and 2 possibilities(my team's a work-in-progress right now), and I wanted to hear some other opinions on my logic. x3 1 and 2 are partners, and 3 and 4 are partners.

1. Tyranitar: EVs in Atk,Defense.
Ability: Sandstream; Item: Undecided
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

2. Gengar: EVs in SpAtk,Speed
Ability: Levitate; Item: Leftovers
-Focus Blast
-Giga Drain
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic

Why: I know the moves seem random, and the partnership is a little strange too. I've often heard Gengar and Tyranitar called rival pokemon, and I soon as I hear two rivals, I think power against power. Which, they are- Tyranitar is made to take hits as well as deliver them, while Gengar has speed to quickly land some Special Attack moves.
If you notice their moveset, it covers every type except dragon. Yes, the moves together are super effective against every type but one. I could change Shadow Ball to Icy Wind, but I like the STAB of Shadow Ball.
Gengar's Levitate makes it so he can avoid Tyranitar's Earthquake, which can take out most electric/steel/rock/etc.

So, that's my thinking for those two:D he only thing I've noticed is paralysis and confusion cause major problems, but I think any team can have trouble with that. Now onto the next pair I was thinking of taking with me.

3. Slaking: EVs in Attack,HP
Ability: Truant; Item: Life Orb
-Giga Impact
-Gunk Shot
-Hammer Arm
-Fire Punch

4. Reuniclus: EVs in SpAtk,?
Ability: Magic Guard; Item: Undecided
-Skill Swap
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Recover

Why: I'm not sure if it's still true, but Slaking has been quite underrated for some time. He has the highest stats of all non-legendaries, but a horrible ability that drags him down- he can only attack every other turn. Now most people immediately think "Skill Swap," (which I did too), but I thought of something a little extra- skill swap with Magic Guard. Magic Guard prevents damage from weather, status such as poison, and even the terrific Life Orb. Since his attack will be maxed out to the full 460, he will be a sure powerhouse.
So this is how it will work. Reuniclus skill swaps its ability for Slaking's, so Slaking is free to use attacks at all turns. Reuniclus if possible will also skill swap its new truant over to the foe's side, leaving my opponent with the horrid ability. Giga Impact will be used as a last resort, having 150 base power, and STABbed (x1.5), and the life orb (x1.3). Yeah it might leave a mark.
But other than that I guess Slaking and Reuniclus will just tear down the opposing team with their high attack/sp attack combination.

So, any tips? Advice? Sorry the post is kind of long. And I know I wasn't very specific with the Evs, but the only one I am positive about the EVs is for Gengar. Tyranitar I can't remember and the others I haven't trained yet.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Since I'm assuming that you're doing a VGC team (VGC matches are all double battles), I'll rate it as such.

If you're EV training on bulk, you should max out HP first, as not maxing that out while maxing out a defensive stat is inefficient:
-Crunch
-Rock Slide (hits both opponents in doubles)
-Low Kick
-Protect
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Item: Focus Sash/Chople Berry/Air Balloon

Slaking needs support to work well in double battles. It should always be partnered with something that negates Truant (Worry Seed or Entrainment users for instance). I think you should use something that can take advantage of the sandstorm set up by Tyranitar, like Excadrill:
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-Scissor/Iron Head
-Protect/Substitute
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 60 HP/252 Atk/196 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Chople Berry/Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush

Reuniclus can provide Trick Room support to help the naturally slow Tyranitar sweep. It really likes to use Magic Guard to be immune to passive damage, so the ability isn't worth Skill Swapping over:
-Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball/Protect
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 172 HP/28 Def/252 SAtk/56 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Mental Herb
Ability: Magic Guard

IMO, Gengar is out of place because of its poor defenses; VGCs tend to be fast-paced and Gengar might go down quickly. Garchomp might be a better alternative, as it takes advantage of Sandstorm as well:
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Substitute
-Protect
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Dragon Gem/Yache Berry

I'm no good at rating VGC teams, so anyone here who has a better experience with them can elaborate.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Unfortunately, I'm no good with VGC teams either, so I'll just rate your Pokemon more individually.

PlatinumDude's Tyranitar set is totally viable. However, just as additional information, if you want to keep Tyranitar mixed, try this:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry / Focus Sash
Unnerve / Sand Stream
Modest [+Special Attack; -Attack]
252 HP / 252 Special Attack / 4 Speed
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Oddly enough, Tyranitr can run Sand Stream and Unnerve with this set. But like PlatinumDude said, Tyranitar really likes having Trick Room support above anything else if it's going to do what you want it to do.

Also, if you're committed to using Gengar, give this set a shot :

Gengar @ Ghost Gem / Focus Sash
Levitate
Timid [+Speed; -Attack]
4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt / Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Focus Blast
- Protect

This set is designed around dealing massive damage with little to no support. Shadow Ball is your primary STAB, and depending on your team choices, Thunderbolt or Sludge Bomb can be used interchangeably to confront specific threats. Thunderbolt will deal with the bulky Waters, whereas Sludge Bomb will be a good secondary STAB capable of OHKOing Breloom. HP [Ice] has great type coverage in conjunction with Thunderbolt and hits common threats like Tornadus and Garchomp for super effective damage. Alternatively, Focus Blast can be used to deal serious damage to Unnerve Tyranitar, who doesn't have to benefit of Sand boosting its Special Defense. Lastly Protect, well, it's protect lol.

Also, Gengar likes having either a Ghost Gem or a Focus Sash, depending on your concerns about Gengar's frailty, over Leftovers. Gengar wielding a Ghost Gem can OHKO Latios and Cesselia.

Best of luck!

Years
Is speed really important? I know it helps get a last shot in when you're down to low HP, but it's never really helped me all that much. I know Gengar's EV'd in speed but mainly because of his low defenses and it was the only other stat worth doing. I don't have that much experience though. But for Tyranitar I don't think Trick Room will help, in almost all of the battles I've been in(both in-game and Wi-Fi) He's gone 2nd or 3rd, typically not last, so the position he went in wouldn't change much in a double battle format.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Assuming you're using Garchomp, Tyranitar/Reuniclus for your offensive core, I'll make some recommendations on their support.

Anyways, for Tyranitar, I recommend the physical set PD suggested with this EV spread; 252 HP / 124 Atk / 36 Def / 96 SpDef. The 36 Def is there to make sure you always survive an unboosted Metagross' Meteor Mash, and the SpDef is there to let you take special hits from common threats in VGC very well (in conjunction with the Sandstorm boost).

Tyranitar/Reuniclus without Fire attacks are threatened by Scizor. Heatran does a good job covering up that weakness, as well as providing you with a Steel-type to sponge the ever-present Dragon Gem Draco Meteors plaguing VGC doubles.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 108 Def / 4 SAtk / 36 SDef / 148 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

This build makes Heatran extremely hard to take down if its key threats are properly handled, while whittling opponents down with Heat Waves spread damage and Sandstorm damage.

Since you're running a Sandstorm team, Storm Drain Gastrodon would make a great partner.

Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 28 SAtk / 120 SDef
IVs: 0 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
- Mirror Coat

With this build, Gastrodon provides you great coverage and helps protect your sandy teammates from Water attacks. With Rindo Berry and Mirror Coat, Gastrodon can take HP Grass from Rotom or anything from Ludicolo and KO them in return.

Some other Pokemon I recommend; Hydreigon, Metagross or Cresselia. Cresselia could prove to be a huge asset to your team; providing you with Trick Room, Skill Swapping Levitate onto Heatran, or just giving you a bulky Pokemon with great coverage.

Years
I'll definitely be switching out dark pulse for Crunch. Same base power but it's a physical move, and since her attack is higher than special attack it'll do a great deal more damage. Thanks for that. Still deciding between Rock Slide/Stone Edge... Stone Edge has higher base power but rock slide has a little higher accuracy and can hit both like you guys said. Off to the move tutor guy. :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
...or you can just use the right TM on Tyranitar.

Anyway, going back to what I said about Tyranitar and Reuniclus, the reason why I suggested Trick Room in the first place was to let said Pokémon go first for a few turns. VGCs tend to be fast-paced, so if you use Trick Room at the right moment, you can end up defeating the opponent at the right time.

Years
Sorry, I'm a little confused, which Pokemon is going first with Trick Room? Reuniclus or Tyranitar? it wouldn't affect Tyranitar since he moves in the middle (Trick Room makes the slowest first and the fastest last, right?)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Sorry, I'm a little confused, which Pokemon is going first with Trick Room? Reuniclus or Tyranitar? it wouldn't affect Tyranitar since he moves in the middle (Trick Room makes the slowest first and the fastest last, right?)

Trick Room has the lowest priority bracket, forcing the Pokémon who's using it (Reuniclus) to move last when it's set up. For more info, see here.

And as for Trick Room itself, Trick Room lets slow Pokémon attack first for 5 turns. Once Reuniclus sets up Trick Room, it and Tyranitar can strike first before the opponents that would normally outspeed them.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Tyranitar wouldn't benefit. In most of my battles, he isn't the slowest pokemon.

Maybe that's because you gave it Speed EVs and a neutral nature for Speed (one that isn't Relaxed, Brave, Quiet or Sassy). For a Pokémon to work best under Trick Room conditions, it must have a Speed-hindering nature (the ones I mentioned earlier) and a very low Speed IV.

Back