The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Silais
Princess of the Law

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
I ask this question because a lot of stories have been surfacing recently involving police violence and the overuse of excessive force in cases when little to no force is needed. Do you believe that policemen have become a force that should be feared, or do you still hold respect for them?

In my case, I fear policemen. I've personally seen police brutality, and I've had a policeman stop me to harass me for my phone number, which I was afraid to refuse because I could be charged with resisting arrest and be criminally responsible. Rarely do I see policemen doing good deeds or truly following the law as it dictates. I feel fear and anger towards them, because I see how such power can corrupt and how difficult it can be to rise against that power.

This is just my opinion; I'm wondering what you think.
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Personally, I think highly of policemen in my area. They actually do their job, and they do it well. I'm not sure how it flies in other towns and cities, but it sounds like your town has the short end of the stick :p

I think the reason I'm not afraid of the police is because I've never done anything that involves them. I have no reason to be afraid of them because I haven't done anything illegal as far as I know of, and I treat them as actual people because that's what they are. Sure, some places have police who are power-crazy and like to harass everyone, and the sad thing is that they can get away with it because no one believes a teenager's opinion over a police officer's. It's just how the people are, I guess.

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Don't fear them one bit.

Although you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt. I live in Canada for one thing, and from what I can see the RCMP are a much stronger police force than what I've seen and heard in the United States. I also hold an immense amount of respect for the police (which then extends to anybody who risks their lives on the daily) because I grew up in a police family. Two members of my immediate family are in the RCMP and so are some of my extended family. Hell, I'd show you guys the RCMP necklace I'm wearing right now if that helps show my bias.

Although Silais, when you're stopped by a policeman like that you're allowed to use your right not to speak. The main thing to ask is if you're being apprehended or not- there's a legal term for it that's escaping me. I'm pretty sure it's detained. Ask if you're being detained, and if they can't answer that then they have no legal grounds and you should be allowed on your way.

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Zero°
Mirai Nikki
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero°
I try to stay away from them as much as possible. I don't fear them at all but I don't like getting involved with them at all.

I do respect the ones that are really down to earth and do their job right, I just hate those that abuse their authority and think that the badge is what makes them.
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I personally have no bad experiences with policemen. But it seems like the Met (London) are over-violent with protests, and quite corrupt :(

But where I am they're alright. Plus, I'm a white guy who doesn't do drugs or drink excessively, so they're not really going to have a reason to arrest me are they?
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Squidchan
The Lady Cthulhu

Nature: Lonely
I rarely have any interaction with current police here, however I did a course on policing, and my tutor was a retired officer. I learnt a lot about how they are trained and how they are meant to do their job. That doesn't mean they end up doing the right thing.

I don't like to judge the police force as a whole. I respect them, yes, and if one or two officers are shown to be corrupt or treat others badly, I don't use that to judge every other officer I meet.
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Slayer1986

Nature: Lonely
The police in Norway are all pretty much nice. You can flip em off and they won't care, not that I tend to flip off people with or without uniform. And that's why I can never respect policemen who arrest people just becuase someone said something nasty them. Your job is to arrest people who break the law. An insult from one adult to another is not a crime.

Last edited by Slayer1986; August 17th, 2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Bad grammar and missing words
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Jin Of The Gale
ih

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Jin Of The Gale
I don't fear them, as a matter of fact I don't fear anyone. I do respect the policemen who actually do their job. It's the ones who misuse their power who are bringing a bad image to the good ones. I've spent time with a few of them, so I do know that good policemen exist in the world.

✝REST IN PEACE✝
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Emburn
<3

Nature: Bashful
I have no reason to fear them, but I do anyways. I mean yeah, I party here and there which is illegal, so I guess there's that. I'd say the main reason I fear them is because I don't think my car knows how to go under 55. So any time I see a cop I think I'm gonna get arrested.
However, I have a few buddies whose dads are policemen and they all seem really chill.
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:11 AM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
I do not fear policemen/women at all.
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Esper

Some of my jobs have had me interact with police (like, having them lock up the building when I go home) and those ones were okay because they're there for a reason, but I don't want to have anything to do with police who are on patrol because they're just looking around for people doing something wrong. I don't mean that in the sense that they want to find people doing something wrong, but that's what's on their minds as they're patrolling and you can never know which police are the good ones and which are the ones who just want power and authority over people.

So, yeah, I guess I don't fear police, but I'm mindful of the potential danger they represent. And I've heard some bad stories about what police even in my home town have done.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of crooked cops and precincts rife with corruption, but by and large, most police men and women protect and serve like they're supposed too, putting their lives at risk every time they put on the uniform.
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:12 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I tend to respect them. I have been fortunate to not have a bad interaction with a cop, plus I know the majority are just doing their jobs. One shouldn't fear cops just because of a few bad apples.
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Silais
Princess of the Law

I think there's more than just a few bad apples, though. I think that quotas, racial/gender bias, and a lack of punishment for bad behavior have affected many policemen in negative ways. Not to mention that policemen go about their days looking for people who are doing something wrong more than they patrol to maintain peace and justice.
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Radiam
You're not even good enough to be my fake.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I sometimes respect them, but whenever they make a stupid decision, I tend to dislike them. Like, when they don't follow the law and do their own thing, I find that irritating. They are supposed to be doing their job, yet they're not.

-Radiam
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I don't fear them, but I definitely don't trust them either. Years ago I lived in a deep southern town where I was one of the few non-white residents during times of racial tensions. The years I spent living there led to some colorful experiences that created a ton of trust issues. I know there are definitely those officers out there who do their jobs and go above and beyond for the good of citizens, but just based on my own personal experiences, those are few and far between. Maybe I just lucked out and ended up living in a city where the least attractive traits of power are shown off, but it's been years since I had any sort of trust or respect for law enforcement.

Paired With Signomi - Brothers with Arcanine
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:28 PM
The Dark Avenger
An Enigmagma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
I think there's more than just a few bad apples, though. I think that quotas, racial/gender bias, and a lack of punishment for bad behavior have affected many policemen in negative ways. Not to mention that policemen go about their days looking for people who are doing something wrong more than they patrol to maintain peace and justice.
OR perhaps they patrol to maintain peace and justice by looking for people who are doing something wrong as dictated by public laws. Investigation and seeking out crime is an integral component to maintaining public order.

Race tends to appear a factor, when in fact socioeconomic status is what actual applies since high crime neighborhoods are targeted by police, these tend to be lower-income communities. More blacks/hispanics live in low-income neighborhoods than other racial groups. So if more blacks and hispanics are arrested proportionately it doesn't mean that there is a bias. You need more evidence to substantiate an argument that doesn't rely on generalizations.

Quotas are illegal. There isn't evidence that this is a prevalent issue. Some confuse click-it-or-ticket
police stops for instance as a form of illegal use of quotas. This is not true. These are initiatives that must be enforced by police officers as dictated by public law in a given municipality. Further, people will exclaim something along the lines like, "the cops pulled me over for going 5 miles over the speed limit to meet a quota!" This is false. If a person violates a statute, the police officers have the right and duty to give a ticket. It's only an issue when police fabricate or falsify evidence in order to make an arrest, that is what constitutes an officer trying to meet a quota. Police officers don't do this commonly as they would put at risk their jobs as well as criminal charges, especially given the enormous amount of oversight. Do you have any evidence to support that many police officers are manipulating evidence in order to increase convictions? If not, it's a generalization without any information to substantiate the claim.

Men tend to commit more violent crimes statistically. Behavioral scientists have studied male and female violent behavior, and affirm men are more likely to act out in aggression. more men may be committing more violent crimes, or even more reckless driving statistically. So, if more men are arrested and charged with violent crimes, it doesn't necessarily indicate a bias in law enforcement. You need more evidence to substantiate an argument that doesn't rely on generalizations.

Being vigilant and skeptical of law enforcement is fine. It becomes an issue when we make claims that these issues are highly prevalent, when in fact there isn't any evidence of which would support those claims. Making blind generalizations is what causes this negative perception of law enforcement in the United States.

Avatar by Myself & Signature by Suikuzu
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I'd be lying if I said that a cop driving behind me doesn't make me nervous and extremely cautious of every single swerve I may make on the road, but I'm not fearful of them. I think they're extremely helpful and necessary resources for every community to have and, while there are some crooked cops out there in the world, that isn't the case for the overwhelming majority who work endlessly and tirelessly to keep your local neighborhood safe.
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Limerent
Community Supporter

I have a high level of respect for the police, authority/laws and justice in general and have nothing to fear from the police because I always behave moderately, politely and never do anything illegal, offensive or possibly disruptive. In terms of morals my standards are pretty high. Heck, I've even considered joining the police when I leave school, they're well trained and do a worthwhile job. The only time you need to fear police is when you're breaking the law or are in a 2nd or 3rd world country where the police are notable for being corrupt or heavy handed in support of suppressing political unrest, such as in Mexico, Afghanistan or Iran/Egypt. Apparently some Americans have this fear as well for various reasons, probably ethnic community distrust, fear of government and the fanaticism of having rights upheld and the actions of a few bad officers not being brought to proper justice bringing many to call cops "pigs" and act rudely to officers and spread their opinions around.

The majority of cops are good men and women doing their jobs, it's a tiny majority who do something improperly, causing the majority of the population to think all police officers are like that and they should fear them. No. Some areas might be worse in terms of department attitudes but overall I respect cops.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Silais
Princess of the Law

I suppose living in a small town has changed my view of cops. The cops here write tickets at a mind-numbing rate to help pay for their facilities. Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but our previous police chief had gotten into some serious trouble for instigating quotas in which cops had to write a certain number of tickets in a week to maintain the police force and its buildings. It isn't just my small town; many of my friends come from small towns and have experienced similar situations. In my case, our cops "created" crime and made it look as if they were upholding the law when in reality they were breaking it.

I'm certain it isn't just small towns who have quotas. Can people really go about blindly believing that policemen are "there to uphold the laws and maintain peace" and that only a small, select few are corrupt or engaged in illegal activity? That's like saying the government is mostly pure and lawful and only a few bad Congressmen or other government officials exist. The media may blow some bad apples out of proportion, but really—think about it.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:57 AM
umbryan

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to umbryan
I just love a man in uniform lol I have the utmost respect.

You don't mess with three types of people in my opinion; cops, bosses, and people who handle your food.

Other than that, sass who you want lol

Team: (The Cute & The Fluffy)

Paris- Female Furfrou
Sam- Male Togekiss
Blueberry- Female Altaria
Logan- Male Flareon
Ramchop IV- Female Ampharos
Mademoiselle- Female Gardevoir (MEGA) (SHINY)
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:24 AM
daigonite
"PLAAAY MY GAAAAME!!!1"
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I have a lot of toker aquaintances who treat policemen like ****, and there's definitely some sour apples, but I always give respect to officers. I figure they take a lot of **** from people like those so I figure if I give them a bit of respect then it'll at least make their day better. I always say good afternoon and things like that, you know, because just because there are some looking for trouble where there isn't any, doesn't mean all of them are, and they have a hard and respectable duty.

I remember when I worked at a dry cleaner, people told me that I should put red pens in their uniforms and write nasty letters and put them in their pockets, seriously why do people hate policemen that much? Because you were stupid and you were driving drunk or made a huge party with your friends that you were smoking pot, or stealing something from a store? Seriously what is wrong with some people.
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM
The Dark Avenger
An Enigmagma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
I suppose living in a small town has changed my view of cops. The cops here write tickets at a mind-numbing rate to help pay for their facilities. Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but our previous police chief had gotten into some serious trouble for instigating quotas in which cops had to write a certain number of tickets in a week to maintain the police force and its buildings. It isn't just my small town; many of my friends come from small towns and have experienced similar situations. In my case, our cops "created" crime and made it look as if they were upholding the law when in reality they were breaking it.

I'm certain it isn't just small towns who have quotas. Can people really go about blindly believing that policemen are "there to uphold the laws and maintain peace" and that only a small, select few are corrupt or engaged in illegal activity? That's like saying the government is mostly pure and lawful and only a few bad Congressmen or other government officials exist. The media may blow some bad apples out of proportion, but really—think about it.
I seriously doubt that the police in your area have conspired to falsify and/or plant evidence in order to create crime and subsequently punish those who didn't violate any of the law that they are accused of by the police department. That is actual a pretty bold statement to accuse these workers for committing serious felonies! How would you know the police in your area were committing these unlawful acts? How do you know that the police were using this as a way to help pay for their facilities? Do you have any articles from your local paper, ect. or is this just a rumor that was spread around your area? Additionally anecdotal evidence is hardly grounds to make a generalization given the bias on the parties involved, and is essentially a rumor when not presented along with some sort of factual evidence. How do your friends know that the police are conspiring to pin crimes on those who have not committed them?

Further, Congressmen and police officers are disparate positions, thus the example is employing a false analogy argument fallacy. As a law enforcement officer, you are trained, an employee of the state, work locally, and are hired by local police officials. Congressmen are employed by garnering the public votes, pandering to different interests groups/lobbyists/political parties and campaign against their components who pander to other powerful political groups, they have a large staff that are employed under them, they are pencil-pushers in that they are the ones that write policy, not enforce it, and they have incredible resources at their devices. These two positions are literally not even close to being remotely similar!

It's not about blindly believing all or most cops always or almost always follow the law and public policy, rather it's about not making a sweeping generalizations based on fallacies, such as claiming an entire police department as well as many other police departments and their ranks falsify evidence in order to meet quotas without demonstrating causation, and rather to fulfill a personal bias. They may boost efforts to check for offenders that do commit crimes, that is why some areas exhibit crackdowns on certain crimes that are going unpunished or if the crimes are disproportionately committed in comparison to other crimes, thus they strategically allocate more resources to investigate problem areas.

All-in-all, be careful what you say. Fabrication is what causes baseless prejudices. Please develop your opinions based off the available factual evidence rather than unsubstantiated whims and sentiments that unjustly vilify a large membership of American workers.

Avatar by Myself & Signature by Suikuzu

Last edited by The Dark Avenger; August 19th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here