• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
I'm a part of the 4 to 5 Movement at my school, which is centered around the idea that 4 out of 5 college-educated people between the ages of 18 and 30 support the general package of gay civil rights. It's been trying to get our school to be less backwards in this regard, because as progressive as it can be, it still is really conservative on LGBT issues. I don't really go to the meetings though, because idk anyone in the club so it would be really awkward for me haha.
Haha, package. /regressed to a 12 y/o

If you know, what kinds of things are people trying to do at your school?

I joined emptyclosets.com for a bit, but there wasn't really enough to keep me occupied there. Hopefully there will be a LGBT club at the college I'm going to.
If you're going to a public school it's almost certain to have one, though how big it is (oh, I'm on a roll) will depend on the school. Even lots of private schools will have supportive people as evidenced by Toujours' school which is Catholic iirc.

Well, I just wanna ask, what if people don't support it? Isn't that their choice as much as it is if you do want to support something? If they don't act upon it (like hating, crimes, etc), then I don't see what the problem is.
Like they're neutral on the issue? No one is expecting everyone to go out and march and all that, just that you don't try to stop us from getting laws and things to support us fairly.

People actively opposing gay rights are kind of jerks.

Edit: re: gay batman

1461131-batman_wears_pink_super.jpeg

The "red" costume. Sure, Robin. Sure.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
LOL@edit reason.

Haha, package. /regressed to a 12 y/o

If you know, what kinds of things are people trying to do at your school?

The biggest thing they're trying to get right now is the nondiscrimination clause at our school since right now it says that Notre Dame doesn't discriminate against people based on race, sex, all these other things but not sexuality. Aaaand trying to become an actual club because ND has never actually allowed a club like this before. We had a minor step forward at least because we got a deferral instead of a rejection this year, the first deferral of club status ever at the school haha.

And then they have talks and candlelight vigils and last year they made this:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
COMIC NERD POST, FAIR WARNING:
So...if you guys have not heard yet, Dan DiDio has announced that in June he will make one of the major DC legacy characters gay. Everyone is suspecting it will be Batman because of what Grant Morrison, a DC writer, told Playboy, "[Batman is] very plutonian in the sense that he's wealthy and also in the sense that he's sexually deviant. Gayness is built into Batman. I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There's just no denying it."

For those of you into speculation: So, what do you think, will the dark knight finally get to be open about his sidekick? Will Northstar get a new buddy? (I know, he's Marvel.) Or will it be some other character?

Personally, I'm not too happy that they're going to "change" a major character. I mean, it just seems like a giant publicity stunt and I'd rather a new gay character to join the ranks than "changing" an old one.

But if they really are going to go through with this, why not classic Mr. Wayne:

"Getting out of bed with Robin, Wayne says, 'Ah that was good sleep! C'mon Dick, a cold shower, a big breakfast!'"

(Would of posted the actual comic panel, but I was link-blocked ;x)
(No, I don't think he would actually be the "new gay one."

The speculation about Batman and Robin is as old as the Batman comics themselves, so I think to make a version of Batman who is gay wouldn't be all that harmful. The writers of the comics put in little things on purpose that you can speculate about (thus is the nature of ho yay) but always stop short of confirming anything. So if they're going to make a character gay, I think it would be kinda cool if Batman were it. It'd give a payoff to the fans of Batman who've been wanting it for so long haha.

As to your objections to them changing a character, I also don't see the big deal. There is no such thing as canon in comic books - I'm not even a comic book fan and I know that. The stories are written and re-written over and over again so as a consumer it basically gives you the freedom to choose which version of the story you want to believe as true. What's the problem where having one version of one franchise where the character is written as gay? It's all down to how each new writer interprets the character.

NP

Help, I'm alive
Years
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against homosexuality, I'm just saying that I personally don't like that they will be altering a character purely to feed the media, changing a character who was probably straight to begin with for years. I'm just not a fan of that.

I get what you're saying though.

Last edited:

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
Are you in any GSA's or LGBT clubs publicly, or some online other than the Rainbow Connection? Tell us about them.

and:

Out of the people you've come out to, whose reaction surprised you the most? Please do tell us details. :D

Anniversary questions!!!! :D

I'm not any public GSA or LGBT because I haven't find one in my town. I live in Tennessee so yeah but I have search online for one close to me.

I have came out to only a few people in my family and a couple of really close friends. I came out to my mom but she said its just a teenage quirk I'll grow out of it. I'm 20 now and still haven't grown out of it. I told a cousin I thought I could trust but went out told almost anyone who would listen. That cousin's mom told my mom that why I had to come out to her. My two best friend know and my brother know.

Years
The biggest thing they're trying to get right now is the nondiscrimination clause at our school since right now it says that Notre Dame doesn't discriminate against people based on race, sex, all these other things but not sexuality. Aaaand trying to become an actual club because ND has never actually allowed a club like this before. We had a minor step forward at least because we got a deferral instead of a rejection this year, the first deferral of club status ever at the school haha.

And then they have talks and candlelight vigils and last year they made this:
That's pretty nicely made video there. (But it sounds so weird that they say "Noter Dayme".) Your school is shooting itself in the foot by drawing this out and I hope they realize that soon.

And going back to gay batman I'm all for that. I'm also all for batman not being gay. I don't really care for the media publicity. "Oooo~! We have a gay comic book character. Look at us." But I guess I shouldn't judge since I don't know if it was the comic people who made a big deal of this or some news people who asked and then made a big deal of it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's probably the comic people that made a big deal of it, because of the gay marriage arc coming up at Marvel. Since those two are so competitive with each other, that would just add fuel to the fire and have DC seen as ultra-conservative compared with liberal, enlightened Marvel so they had to "announce" it.

Also everyone says Notre Dame here D; it's an American school even though it's named in French! Notruh Dahm is the church.

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
Years
Join please! <3

Now my stance on this:

While I am a Christian and do not support gay 'morally' or what have you, my Christianity is what I more of see as Christian and that is someone who loves everyone as if they were themselves, and who does NOT judge, as that is God's duty and not mine. Even Christ came to the harlots and greedy and well, anything most Christians HATE today, and offer them compassion just like they were any other human beings, so that is what I will do too.

Now I was raised in a home where my parents were very religious, and they hate me because I'm friends with everyone. I was subjected to physical and emotional torture and abuse for having gay and transgender friends. I think for people to call themself Christian after treated another one of God's creation that way is disgusting. Yes, God did not intent them to be gay, but He did create them as human beings so..........Nobody is any better than others, or any worse. I think God frowns upon holier than thou types just as much as any other sin, because those people are usually fulls of themselves and by way of judging and proclaiming death or things on others, have set themself up to be their OWN idols. When we take God's power to judge a person lifestyle and condemn we are playing GOD which was also prohibit by His word.

I think to show Christianity as a way of hate is very opposite to what real Christianity is. Jesus die for EVERYONES sin! The ultimate act of LOVE.

So I'd like to come in as a Christian support, not that i support BEING gay but that I support out of love for people and their free wills and rights. And hopefully prove that true Christian is not bullies. <3

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
COMIC NERD POST, FAIR WARNING:
So...if you guys have not heard yet, Dan DiDio has announced that in June he will make one of the major DC legacy characters gay. Everyone is suspecting it will be Batman because of what Grant Morrison, a DC writer, told Playboy, "[Batman is] very plutonian in the sense that he's wealthy and also in the sense that he's sexually deviant. Gayness is built into Batman. I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There's just no denying it."

For those of you into speculation: So, what do you think, will the dark knight finally get to be open about his sidekick? Will Northstar get a new buddy? (I know, he's Marvel.) Or will it be some other character?

Personally, I'm not too happy that they're going to "change" a major character. I mean, it just seems like a giant publicity stunt and I'd rather a new gay character to join the ranks than "changing" an old one.

But if they really are going to go through with this, why not classic Mr. Wayne:

"Getting out of bed with Robin, Wayne says, 'Ah that was good sleep! C'mon Dick, a cold shower, a big breakfast!'"

(Would of posted the actual comic panel, but I was link-blocked ;x)
(No, I don't think he would actually be the "new gay one."

Could it be Wonder woman that comes out of the closet. I wouldn't mind them changing things up. And I really wouldn't mind Batman being the one either.
I can't really picture it but anything could happen.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
When I thought which character would be gay, I immediately thought of the Flash. xD Wonder Woman is so obviously a lesbian that it goes without saying.

Anyway~

Join please! <3
Welcome to the club yo! :) Here is your new member crown:
img-thing

Shining Raichu

Years
Sorry I've had a busy couple of days, but I'm back now!

Welcome Kurui! I'll add you to the list now :)

Lesbian Wonder Woman sounds like an interesting concept, but since comic books have always been a sort of 'boys club' type thing, I don't know how far I'd trust them not to make it trashy and go for the cheap sex angle to appease the male fanbase. I'd trust it more as an HBO show than a comic book lol

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah, I mean DC were the ones who made the Starfire reboot, so they're not exactly the most trustworthy in character development...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Okay quick history on Starfire: she's a character based on love, all the time. She kisses people to learn their language, and in the comics she has indiscriminate sex, but never without emotional love because she feels for/loves everyone. That's just how she is.

DC apparently didn't understand that and instead turned her into an emotionless sex doll, sleeping around for no reason and with no emotions towards the people, even forgetting who they are.

starfire-1.jpg

And then they of course had her posturing half the comic:

Spoiler:

For reference, old Starfire:

tumblrlrvyo4a6oi1qdbn8fo1500.jpg

Sooo yeah.

Bonus shot! Two heroes from the same reboot, in the same comic, one male, one female!

Spoiler:

Shining Raichu

Years
Oh dear.

So essentially they turned her into a succubus, designed to lure men in - much like she lures in male readership. Yeah, DC could never be trusted with a lesbian Wonder Woman. If they make a character gay, it's gonna have to be a man.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
Oh dear.

So essentially they turned her into a succubus, designed to lure men in - much like she lures in male readership. Yeah, DC could never be trusted with a lesbian Wonder Woman. If they make a character gay, it's gonna have to be a man.
Oh, just fyi, I was totally kidding about that lesbian Wonder Woman thing. xD

Shame about Starfire. ;; I liked her in Teen Titans.

Years
Lesbian Wonder Woman sounds like an interesting concept, but since comic books have always been a sort of 'boys club' type thing, I don't know how far I'd trust them not to make it trashy and go for the cheap sex angle to appease the male fanbase. I'd trust it more as an HBO show than a comic book lol
Trusting HBO to do a better job than anyone at not exploiting something for a cheap sex angle? Andy, you have very low expectations.

I remember reading about that change to Starfire in an article where the person writing it quoted her own daughter saying she didn't like the changes.

"Do you think the Starfire in the Teen Titans comic book is a good role model?"

"Yes, too. She's still a good guy. Pretty, but she's helping others all the time and saving people."

"What about this new Starfire?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Why not?"

"Because she's not doing anything."

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
@Shining Raichu: Well I we shouldn't trust comic book companies to handle any type of minority character. One of the character's son, I believe it was Green Arrow's, is mixed, but in the comics he is mostly drawn as completely white with no evidence of his mixed ethnicity.

LillithSilver

Tooth & Eye
Years
May I join? I'm a supporter of this LGBT thing, and I hope for the best of persons of any sexuality. Hopefully school won't get in the way of being active...

Back