• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
So after starting a new game, I get the pokedex and pokegear. Then when trying to look at my party by clicking on pokemon, I get this:

Pretty sure it is because I haven't downloaded the pokemon pack and added it in.
What makes you think it would work if you don't have all the necessary resources?

Found a (minor) bug with mega evolution in Version 13.

If you opt out of using the fightbox (USEFIGHTBOX = false in PokeBattle_SceneConstants), there's no mega button.
I really don't care about that. I don't know why anyone would get rid of the graphics.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2013
can you help me please?
when i run the game appears a message:
script 'SpriteWindows' line 218: Runtime error occurred
file name is nil.
what can i do to make the game work?

Maruno

Years
can you help me please?
when i run the game appears a message:
script 'SpriteWindows' line 218: Runtime error occurred
file name is nil.
what can i do to make the game work?
Try looking at DarkGrey's post which is 3 above yours. Then look at my response which is directly above yours.

Please don't repeatedly ask questions - that's spam.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
So, while testing wild battles again'st an Aipom, Aipom uses sand-attack and an error happens. It says the memory can't be read. It only happens when the opponent uses sand-attack.

Maruno

Years
So, while testing wild battles again'st an Aipom, Aipom uses sand-attack and an error happens. It says the memory can't be read. It only happens when the opponent uses sand-attack.
Would you care to recreate this error and then post the entire error report? I can't do anything with the information you've provided (I can't replicate it).

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
The thing is, it isn't one of those big fancy errors. What I mean is, there was no error report. I've already recreated this error a couple times and whenever the opponent Aipom uses sand-attack, right after the animation a small error box appears saying that "the memory can't be read". This happened while testing wild battles on the Debug menu, and it only happens when the opponent Aipom uses sand attack, right after the animation.I'm not sure if the error would happen if another pokemon uses, sand-attack, i might try that.

EDIT: Wild Pidgey used Sand Attack, same error happens. Can you try to replicate it? In both cases the opponent was at level 5, but using Sand Attack with my own level 5 Aipom causes no error.

Maruno

Years
I playtest from RMXP, go straight into a battle with a Lv.5 Aipom, it uses Sand-Attack and it works fine. No error message. Does the error appear first time round, or just after a while?

Actually, there is a bit of a bug I spotted. The opponent's Sand-Attack thinks its target is at the top left of the screen, rather than being my Pokémon, so the sand goes up there instead of at my Pokémon. Still no error message, though.

A video of it happening might help. How good is your computer?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
Animations directed from the opponent to you seem to be poiting at the top left corner in general.
That should be a simple fix though (like changing some default coordinates). Any idea where this can be found?

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvX2qlk97M

If you can't replicate it then i'm sure the problem is just with me but i can swear i didn't modify essentials in any way. Additionaly, while there are no aipom graphics there, that happens because i didn't insert the proper graphics there, but i did insert the proper graphics in a separate copy of essentials (of which i did alter some things, but nothing that would affect this) and even with graphics the same error happens. considering this error didn't give a report, the problem might not even be with essentials. I think i'm gonna try to redownload essentials. If you realize that the problem is my fault and has nothing to do with essentials, sorry to be a bother.

Maruno

Years
Animations directed from the opponent to you seem to be poiting at the top left corner in general.
That should be a simple fix though (like changing some default coordinates). Any idea where this can be found?
Yes, I mentioned this bug 20 minutes earlier. It's because, when I put calls to pbShowAnimation everywhere, I put nil as the target for some of them when it should have been opponent. Not all of them need this changing, though, so pay attention if you decide to do it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvX2qlk97M

If you can't replicate it then i'm sure the problem is just with me but i can swear i didn't modify essentials in any way. Additionaly, while there are no aipom graphics there, that happens because i didn't insert the proper graphics there, but i did insert the proper graphics in a separate copy of essentials (of which i did alter some things, but nothing that would affect this) and even with graphics the same error happens. considering this error didn't give a report, the problem might not even be with essentials. I think i'm gonna try to redownload essentials. If you realize that the problem is my fault and has nothing to do with essentials, sorry to be a bother.
I have no idea.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Well, while I still don't know what's exactly the problem, it seems it's a problem with my computer. So I guess I won't use Essentials until I manage to buy a new one :/

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
Eventually, once there's been time to reveal other bugs and when I have time and can be bothered.

Ok, just didn't want to waste my time fixing something that someone else was gonna fix :P

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
I noticed a bug that is quite dramatic, actually.
It doesn't always happens, but sometimes when my pokemon gets hit, its HP drops down to a certain point where it gets stuck (enters in a loop), and the game can't continue.

Exemple: Wild Spearow used Peck on my Happiny. HP dropped from 40 to 30... then keeps on a crazy cycle between 29 and 30, really fast 29,30,29,30,29,30,29,30,29,30... and so on.

It may be a problem with how the game approximates the damage taken, and can't round it properly. I would guess it is related to some new feature, like the black thing in the HP bar, because it never happened before.
It happened three times this week, but it is hard to replicate the same situations.

Any ideias what could be causing this?
Thank you!

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
When I goes to other place by connections and I'm riding bicycle, but without the bicycle music (like after exiting from a cave), the bicycle music starts playing again.

For some reason, the form page at Pokédex had around 5 FPS in my computer.

When I use Fly to Cedolan I go to the right house at Lappet.

I don't know if you was aware of this, but in the official games, when you receives a update version of a ribbon (like a Great Smart Ribbon when you have the first Smart Ribbon), the ribbons isn't updated, instead you have both ribbons. The ribbon sample event removes the lower level ribbons.

Maruno

Years
When I goes to other place by connections and I'm riding bicycle, but without the bicycle music (like after exiting from a cave), the bicycle music starts playing again.
Can you provide an example, or clarify what you mean? Your English is confusing at times.

I don't know if you was aware of this, but in the official games, when you receives a update version of a ribbon (like a Great Smart Ribbon when you have the first Smart Ribbon), the ribbons isn't updated, instead you have both ribbons. The ribbon sample event removes the lower level ribbons.
You don't have to use the ribbon upgrade method I made, you know. That's not a bug.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I was recently releasing my game and came across a sort of error when trying to encrypt my game
I've done everything I believe I should have, followed the wiki, all that jazz, and when I tested it, there were errors with items:

When trying to withdraw the potion from the pc, there is no test, and it says your bag is full
and with an event that gives you items, but in this error, it does not give you anything

later on you get you starter pokemon, but upon choosing this error shows up
I havent tested battles or really anything else as it is impossible for me to

I then tested this, encrypting PEV13 with an unmodified version, using PE+the PKMN pack, and encrypted it and tested it, and the same errors occur

I don't know what the cause or anything like this, it's either RMXP or PEV13, I tested it on V11+V12 and they both seem fine, so it seems like a bug in V13

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I just compressed a clean version of PEv13 and can confirm the issues. They will work fine until compressed, at which point the item name while withdrawing from a PC is missing, but the item count is still visible.

When selecting a starter in the clean version of essentials, I get the same error as SavingRaven had gotten with the Mudkip from his personal project.

I am not sure what could have caused this between version 12 and 13, but not being able to select a starter is kind of a big deal. I think I could deal with the missing name from the PC.

I would suggest, for those wishing to make a release in the meantime, that you revert to PEv12 until this is sorted out.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Can you provide an example, or clarify what you mean? Your English is confusing at times.
This is a little hard for explaining, but let's go:

Starting at GSC, if you use the bicycle, the bicycle BGM will plays. If you change the area, the next area BGM will plays and bicycle BGM will only plays again if you dismount and mount on the bicycle again (maybe if you save and resets the game, but let's ignore this part). At Essentials there's a bug that allows to plays the bicycle music again involving connections.

An example: There is a cave that exits at route 51. Route 51 have a connection with route 52. If I use the bicycle at cave, the bicycle BGM will plays. If I exit to the route 51, the routes 51 BGM will plays. No problem until now, but if I go to the route 52, the bicycle BGM will plays again, this is the problem.

Back