• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PCX] Writing Competition

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
People who do post their stories in FF&W will have the extra bonus of a review from the judges, so you can see what we thought about the story.
Wait, so we're not posting reviews with the scoring even if they're finished? I've written fairly long reviews of every entry already and I'm not here enough to be confident I'd remember to check back until all the entries have been posted. (Also, they're about the version of the fic sent in for the contest, and written with explaining the scoring in mind, which wouldn't make a lot of sense posted as a review in a thread where revisions have been made.)

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Wait, so we're not posting reviews with the scoring? I've written fairly long reviews of every entry already and I'm not here enough to be confident I'd remember to check back until all the entries have been posted. (Also, they're about the version of the fic sent in for the contest, and written with explaining the scoring in mind, which wouldn't make a lot of sense posted as a review in a thread where revisions have been made.)
Oh, yikes. I guess we should have explained that first. Sorry, Dragonfree. o_o

Just post the review you already have written up if you remember to, or if someone pesters you for it I guess, and don't worry about versioning--it is a timed contest after all so no one can fault you for reviewing an entry as-submitted. Anyway in past years it's usually only been a judge or two who actually gives a full-blown review (like bobandbill, who was a machine with all those entries last year). When (if) I give reviews, they'll be pretty short and written up upon request. At any rate, don't fret over it too much.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, previous times I would do a review with my score (in part so everyone got something in terms of feedback, and also because I am crazy =p) and other judges would post reviews when fics were posted. So incentative for people to actually post their fics in the end for extra reviews I suppose?

In short it'd be fine for you to include them with your scores I'd think.

Dragonfree

Years
Well, it was explained; Astinus originally put it to me as, "When judging, you don't have to write out a review for the story right then. If you'd like to so that it's posted with the scores, that's fine. If you want to save it for later, if the writer posts their story, that's all right as well." Is that no longer the idea?

(I chose to review everything because the whole reason I volunteered to judge the contest was that I really enjoy writing contest reviews; don't think I'm mad that I reviewed everything when I didn't have to or anything. I just think it'd be more convenient and make more sense if my reviews were posted with the scoring since that's the assumption I wrote them with.)

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Well, it was explained; Astinus originally put it to me as, "When judging, you don't have to write out a review for the story right then. If you'd like to so that it's posted with the scores, that's fine. If you want to save it for later, if the writer posts their story, that's all right as well." Is that no longer the idea?

(I chose to review everything because the whole reason I volunteered to judge the contest was that I really enjoy writing contest reviews; don't think I'm mad that I reviewed everything when I didn't have to or anything. I just think it'd be more convenient and make more sense if my reviews were posted with the scoring since that's the assumption I wrote them with.)
Going to reply real quick since I had been the judge here three times before, LOL.

Reason this contest Astinus said you don't need to write reviews for this contest is because the Get Together is fairly short and since the scores needed to be posted before the event is over the judges usually would just do the scores and that's it. I do agree reviews are more convenient as to why you gave a high/low score for this story, etc. My first time judging the SWC I actually did full blown reviews for all entries while the next two I give quick reviews when the participants posted their story. So yeah, like icomeanon6 and bobandbill said if you want to include reviews with the scores it's fine.

Dragonfree

Years
Okay, I've sent my judging to Astinus, so expect the results soon. Sorry my reviews are really hypercritical.

I understand how it works; like I said, I chose to review everything because I wanted to, not because I had the impression at any point that everyone was going to. I was just confused by Astinus's comment above which implied all the judges would only be posting reviews for those who posted their entries, even though initially I'd been told I could write reviews to be posted with the scoring and I'd already indicated in a PM that I was reviewing everything.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Yeah, I only meant that sometimes judges review the entries when they're posted after the Get-Together, so that there's not a time limit. I did some reviewing with the judging, but they're short and not as in-depth as I'd like them to be, as between work and being sick I had no time to really work on them, so I'm holding mine off. Dragonfree's, however, will be posted when the scores are posted. Which will be in a few minutes after I figure out the math.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
The forums went down as I was writing this. This is all a sign that I should never work on one of these again.

Final Scoring

Sixth Place
The Shiny Umbreon in the Corner
Total Scoring: 30

The Judging
Spoiler:

Fifth Place
droomph
Total Scoring: 45

The Judging
Spoiler:

Fourth Place
-ty-
Final Score: 57

The Judging
Spoiler:

Third Place
bobandbill
Total Scoring: 75

The Judging
Spoiler:

Second Place
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Final Scoring: 82

The Judging
Spoiler:

First Place
JX Valentine
Final Scoring: 88

The Judging
Spoiler:

So congratulations to Mizan and Jax for winning the second and first place, and thank you to all participants. Your emblems are in the mail.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Hum, can't say I have anything to complain there. I'll admit to cutting it down in the end and reworking it during the writing as well (time got me in the end) so I'll take those scores quite happily! Congrats to Mizan and Jax, and cheers for the judging as well. =)

Also going to reply to that review Dragonfree, as I'm finding it pretty useful already. (No need to say sorry for hypercritical, I find that's more useful after all even if I like praise, haha).
Spoiler:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
My heartiest congratulations to Jax and Mizan, and my deep thanks to all the other participants. Fall's a busy time of year, especially for students, so I really appreciate you all taking the time out of your days to write stories so we could have a writing competition for PC's 10th birthday. Really, thanks a bunch.

If you'd like to hear my thoughts on your story, just send me a VM and I'll try to get to it within the next few days.

Last edited:
Back