• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Charcoal

How good is this game?

• Awsome!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Great!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Horrible

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Alex2

Sprite master
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 1, 2005
Okay, this idea was 100% by me. I give a lot of creadit to a user in my site, by the name od Nightsaber, for putting this all together.

Okay, so far I have these sprites:

blaine7eh.png

manyula8fn.png
by Coronis

rukario7cn.png
by Coronis

munchlax3js.png
by Coronis

bonsly4ic.png
by Coronis

flannery5bq.png

stright1ne.png
by nightsaber. (needs work)

brawly4ph.png

1stmalestarter0oq.png

roxanne4gx.png

teamaquafemaleadmin0028qa.png

charber0024cw.png
(needs work)

arnitan3dy.png

articorn5jf.png

electing0029dl.png
(needs work.)

gran9mp.png

Opening Screen:

beginningscreen2as.png

Alex2

Sprite master
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 1, 2005
JOBS​

Sorry, but this wouldn't fit in one post.

OKay, these are who I need:

Old Pokemon Spriters: If you have this job, you are going to create scratch sprites of teh johto, kanto, and hoenn pokemon.

# of people currently working on this: 1

Old Trainer Spriters: These people give new looks to the old trainer sprites.

# of people currently working on this: 2

New Item Spriters: These people are creating new items, and sprites for them.

New Pokemon Spriters:These people will create sprites based on the pictures I've drawn.

New Berry Spriters: These people create new berries.

New Trainer Spriters: These people make new trainers for the game.

OKay, now if you would like to help, PM me with an example of your work, and I will consider it.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
Don't be harsh, Jade. At least say something nice to him. :)

@Alex: Your sprites are great! But... you need an in-game screen (no titles) and a story to keep this thread up.

I wish you good luck on this game!

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
This looks quite terrible, to be honest. All you have provided are sprites with horrid recolors, some quite two-dimensional and flat... and not much else... Hmm... And that other part could have fit into your first post. I know for a fact.

By the way, when speaking of the sprites, I was NOT referring to Coronis'. They are quite nice, however did you receive permission to use them? Just saying "by Coronis" will not count. He has to explicitly document that he will allow you to use them.

That's not really a title screen... because the size is absolutely wrong... unless you are working in some strangely-sized RPGmaker... so... if you are to provide a title, please take it from within the game...

I do have a piece of advice with the sprites you have recolored... Do not remove the black or darker colors from the edges! It makes it look two-dimensional and flat. The edges make the trainers look more real, whereas the recolors make them look... ... ... just wrong...

When you say "This idea was put together by me" what exactly do you mean? The idea of a fangame centered on Pok?mon? Because other than that I don't really see any ideas... just sprites... some of which aren't yours...

Alex2

Sprite master
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 1, 2005
Jeff_PKLight said:
Don't be harsh, Jade. At least say something nice to him. :)

@Alex: Your sprites are great! But... you need an in-game screen (no titles) and a story to keep this thread up.

I wish you good luck on this game!

Eh-em, I am a female.

And to Blueguy: this game has barley begun, and I am tired of all you people saying Don't take away the black! Sice when in the freakin' world, does a white labcoat have black edges hmmmm? Two, since when does blonde hair suddenly go from blonde to black in the real world? My game is for them to look realistic, not look pixelated If you put the black in there, it looks horrible, the bright white suddenly turning to black?

And since when does that make it look 3-D? I don't see people walking around today with black lines around them, and they look 3-D.

Ex: which looks better:

blaine7eh.png
< this labcoat,

or

blaine3qa.png
< this labcoat?

(and even though I didn't change it on my sprite), see how the black lines stick ou like a sore thumb on the person's head?

this should be a pretty good game. whats the story? is this goin to be in a new region?

On a nicer note, I'm almost finished with the plot, And yes it will be in a new region. It's called the Kairyuu Island. Although I can say it will go through the other 3 regions, which will take the process of the game a little longer.

Large Version Of Poke Center:

pokecenter9wd.png

Last edited:

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
No... I'm right. And anyone would agree with me, that if you remove the darker edges it looks bad, not the other way around. By the way, the original sprite of Blaine does look much better.

Just because "the game has barely started" does not mean you have an excuse for not providing anything of substance. Maybe you should have worked on it a bit more before making a thread, and then I wouldn't have to criticize you and in turn spark this conflict.

Attached is a picture of a sprite that hasn't been deformed. As you can see, its edges are not only black, but brown and a darker shade of blonde... not all black. Noticed how I said black and darker shades.

I'm sorry, but no matter how much you argue I have won this debate... and I kinda won without you even saying anything back. Anyone will agree with me that the original sprites look much MUCH better.

Now... the Pok?mon Center is far too big. If it will be that large you need to add more objects and such to fill up the dead space.

By the way, you didn't answer my question. Did you get permission from Coronis to use his sprites?

Prof Plum

Pokemon Professor
Years
Alex said:
And to Blueguy: this game has barley begun, and I am tired of all you people saying Don't take away the black! Sice when in the freakin' world, does a white labcoat have black edges hmmmm? Two, since when does blonde hair suddenly go from blonde to black in the real world? My game is for them to look realistic, not look pixelated If you put the black in there, it looks horrible, the bright white suddenly turning to black?
I think I would also have to agree with blueguy here. It is a quite commonly known fact I believe that when small sprites, like the ones used in Pokemon games, do not have dark outlines it is confusing to the eye, as it is hard for it to tell where the background ends and the sprite begins, or vice versa. The bright white turning to black is the point of this. It's called CONTRAST, in case you haven't heard of it.

Chimou

Dancing Artist
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
I don't mean to be discouraging, but you should probably get a spriter that knows what they're doing, or practice a lot more.

Majority of those sprites are awful. I also recommend to avoid recolors at all costs. It makes everything look lame.

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
This sounds nice enough. The sprites need to be redone, but, they're fairly good. Oh, and the pokemon center is far too big; it looks unattractive with that emptyness, fill it in, or reduce the size.

I wish you good luck on this. :)

Alex2

Sprite master
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 1, 2005
jacob25 said:
ok guys the beta for this has been released it is a playable demo, download it here: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83/asm/games/ion/poke83.zip
hf guys post feedback here whenever you try it out!!!1

Dude, that's a trick, and it doesn't belong here. And I'm trying to find better people for this, and I'm trying to find help with my horrible scratch sprites, but no one's responding.

Also yes I have permission from Coronis, this is the exact PM he sent me when I asked:

Hi there. You're welcome to use those sprites, and I'd appreciate a credit.

OKAy, If you would read the words before the pokecenter, it says, larger version, I'm making modifications of the smaller version, so I'm just posting the larger one for now.

Okay this is hte region: http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3346/kairyuuregion6xw.png

And before anyone says so, it sucks I know.

To BlueGuy: Okay, If you promise to not bug me about it, I'll try and keep the outlines dark, but I will not use black edges with white! Simpe as that, Although I'll keep the outlines darker.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Have u started working on this game yet? Like have you begun coding of the game- if so what RPG maker/game maker are u using?
I think this thread goes against the rules and may be locked.
But if it does, just wait until you have done more stuff and re-post :)
Hope everything goes well for you.

Alex2

Sprite master
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 1, 2005
Neo-Dragon said:
Have u started working on this game yet? Like have you begun coding of the game- if so what RPG maker/game maker are u using?
I think this thread goes against the rules and may be locked.
But if it does, just wait until you have done more stuff and re-post :)
Hope everything goes well for you.

Thank you, and as I said, a nice member on my site is putting it all together for me when I get it finished. And we're using RXMP2003.

Although everything else is going to be made by my "helpers" and me.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
Yeah, I agree with Neo-Dragon that this thread will likely be locked (since it goes against the rules). Just hope the game goes alright with you.

Oh, and to blueguy, I really don't think you should start a huge argument here with Alex.

Back