• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DS Map Graphics Editor

Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?

• Yes

Votes: 396 90.8%
  • No, later

Votes: 40 9.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2014
The map hacking is in your hand, lucky you, you've been a legend ;D
I think you should release first Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and then HG/SS and BW...

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
'Twas only yesterday that I found out that the map layout data in HeartGold and SoulSilver is in a/0/6/5 when extracting it with a tool such as DSBuff, Nitro Explorer, Tinke or even CrystalTile2.

And there definitely is something I still need to learn... and that is how the polygons operate in the hex values.

I'm still looking forward to the map editor, just remember everyone... the more things you post about what you've noticed during your research in the ROMs, the more progress the developer will have.

If there's anyone wants to know where the locations of the map layout data in Tinke or CrystalTile2... well here they are:
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: fielddata/land_data/land_data.narc
HeartGold/SoulSilver: a/0/6/5
Black/White: a/0/0/8

Instead of trying to mess up the map layout data, I'm gonna start messing around with the map_matrix.narc file in Pokémon Platinum. When I see the expected results, I shall post it here. ;)

Edit: I've just noticed that the map_matrix.narc has the same names as the BMD0 and MDL0 files. So I assume map_matrix.narc could be where the names are given for the models (which are buildings, houses ect). Like how the mapname.bin file works, it might have connection to the map_matrix.narc file.

Edit 2: Well, looks like I've found the weather pattern texture for Eterna Forest, which is shown in the screenshot. The mystery of the data for using the different weather effects remains. Ah well, more research is needed to be done, but either way... every research counts as improvement towards new things.
eternaforesttreeshadewe.png

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Yeah, all animations are stored in this file.
The problem is how to find the data for the maps.

I assume it might be somewhere in the map layout data (or land_data), 'cause the layout and models have their data on which location it can be and which model it is by simply using the name of the model. So if most of the things to do with the land, effect and position are in the map files in land_data... then there's a chance that the weather and map position is also located in the map files in the land_data. While experimenting with... and altering the map_matrix didn't make any difference to the map while I was changing several random values while using Tinke. But I'll try experimenting it again on CrystalTile2, just to make sure Tinke did the same thing.

But who knows? The data might be in the first file inside map_matrix, 'cause I found that the first one means "everywhere", according to the mapname.bin. More research is needed to be done.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Weather data is defined in arm9.bin in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black and White are still unknown, but it may be there too. I can confirm you it's there, as well as daytime music, nighttime music, camera, wild pokémon, scripts, texts, textures and parent map settings. I have edited all these settings for Pokémon DarkDiamond successfully. map_matrix.narc contains connection data and border map settings.

Has anyone of you tried to edit the files in land_data_release with 3ds Studio Max? It way easier and faster than by hex and you get 1:1 results. Here's an example with Route 202 (ignore the transparency issues):

route202.png

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Ehm.. Sorry for the question, but I know how to export Models. But how do I import? I didn't find something in the Nitro Tools Archive...

There are plugins for 3ds Studio Max and Maya, but I can't tell you where to get them because I would break the forum rules (they are easy to find, however). After export, conversion has to be done with a small software found with the plugins.

looper

German Hacker
Years
There are plugins for 3ds Studio Max and Maya, but I can't tell you where to get them because I would break the forum rules (they are easy to find, however). After export, conversion has to be done with a small software found with the plugins.

k, because of the image, I thought that importing nsbmd-files to maya/3ds Studio Max is possible as well^^

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Interesting.
Do you have offsets for these data?

They start at 0xEEDBC for Diamond and Pearl, and 0xE6020 for Platinum

Can i have these plugins?
I want to test this functionnality, but i don't think it can surpass a complete map editor.

As I said before, I can't post where to get them, but really, they are easy to find on Google. And this is the most accurate way, in my opinion, because it's the way Gamefreak creates maps :)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I have modelled the first 100% custom Pokémon Diamond map. You can see the results below:

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Excellent, very good news for texture hacking!
Now, people have this method and Nintendo Pokemon Rom Editor for edit all objects in the Maps.

Personally, i continue my project for propose more functions and an advanced interface with translations and documentation ;)

Well, your project is really important for mapping. Remember that this method only allows the creation of the 3d models, the rest have to be done by hex. Tileset connections, music, weather, buildings, region maps, etc. all need a tool :)

Back