The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing

Notices

Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 12:25 PM
Scarlet Knight
Respect the Chemistry

Nature: Hasty

How do you all feel about recaps? I've considered the idea of incorporating them into my story since I write about a chapter per month, and even less often during the semester. I dunno, I'm concerned readers will forget important details in the story after long breaks in reading. Has anyone tried this before?

-Happy Holidays, from Annie Edison
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 02:01 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
How do you all feel about recaps? I've considered the idea of incorporating them into my story since I write about a chapter per month, and even less often during the semester. I dunno, I'm concerned readers will forget important details in the story after long breaks in reading. Has anyone tried this before?
Hmm... I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. Is this just a little blurb at the beginning of the chapter giving brief notes on the major events that happened recently? You know, like at the beginning of each episode of Avatar, the Last Airbender?
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:49 PM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
Recaps are a bit of a balance thing. You could go about it a couple of ways. There's the "previously on" style used in TV series, for example, where you provide a condensed view of what has just transpired in the latest / last few eps. Or there's the settings brief, which would be a condensed view of the key on-screen events in the story regardless of how ago they transpired. Or perhaps there's something in the middle.

And each recap style is proner to help catch up a certain kind of reader than others, so I guess part of it is who you want to help catch up. I feel loyal but non-exclusively dedicated readers would strongly benefit from the first style, whereas the second would seem to be better fit for readers archive binging or about making the leap to comment / review. Just my opinion, dunno what the others think.

Still, as Nolafus says, I don't think I've ever seen a fanfic recap. So I can't judge their utility by experience.
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 06:29 PM
Scarlet Knight
Respect the Chemistry

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolafus View Post
Hmm... I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. Is this just a little blurb at the beginning of the chapter giving brief notes on the major events that happened recently? You know, like at the beginning of each episode of Avatar, the Last Airbender?
I'm not too familiar with Avatar (I know, sue me), but I believe we're talking about the same thing here. My go-to-TV show at the moment would be Arrow. A more popular example, I suppose, would be...I don't know. Yu-Gi-Oh? In my head, I planned to write it in a collection of quotes labeled "Chapter 1", "Chapter 3", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino View Post
Recaps are a bit of a balance thing. You could go about it a couple of ways. There's the "previously on" style used in TV series, for example, where you provide a condensed view of what has just transpired in the latest / last few eps. Or there's the settings brief, which would be a condensed view of the key on-screen events in the story regardless of how ago they transpired. Or perhaps there's something in the middle.
Yeah, I was thinking of going about this the first way. Frankly, I'm not sure what the second option is describing, haha. I do, however, want to avoid phrases like "previously on [Insert Title Here]" because I don't want my story to sound like basic written TV. A simple "Previously..." would work, I believe.

Quote:
And each recap style is proner to help catch up a certain kind of reader than others, so I guess part of it is who you want to help catch up. I feel loyal but non-exclusively dedicated readers would strongly benefit from the first style, whereas the second would seem to be better fit for readers archive binging or about the leap to comment / review. Just my opinion, dunno what the others think.
I agree. I don't want it to be a cheat sheet for people who want to skip chapters, though I can see it unintentionally becoming exactly that. The main purpose is to remind readers something they could have forgotten. A subtle character moment trapped in the middle of a long chapter. Or an event that transpired quite a few chapters ago, which with my pace could translate to months in time. And even if it does become a cheat sheet, would that be the worst thing? If anything, it could make the story more comfortable for new readers, especially members whose join dates are preceded by my fic's birth date, to get into it.

Quote:
Still, as Nolafus says, I don't think I've ever seen a fanfic recap. So I can't judge their utility by experience.
Me neither. I got the idea from a friend of mine who writes for fun at a different forum. He went on a year-long hiatus and started off the next chapter summarizing events from before. Connecting that with all the TV I watch, and the idea just came to me.

-Happy Holidays, from Annie Edison
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 09:00 PM
Lucky#13
Lucky Member

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post

I usually won't release anything I've worked on until it is finished. It can be read like a novel that way. No one is waiting for the next chapter to be released.

You definitely don't want to do a "here's what you missed" type thing. That promotes skipping chapters. You could remind readers of plot points from several chapters prior (at least 3 with your rate). By setting up a slight recap. You could casually place certain points into dialogue or thoughts from any character whose thoughts are read by the reader.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links