The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems.

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #401    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 12:25 PM
Scarlet Knight's Avatar
Scarlet Knight
Respect the Chemistry
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nueva Jersey
Age: 19
Nature: Hasty


How do you all feel about recaps? I've considered the idea of incorporating them into my story since I write about a chapter per month, and even less often during the semester. I dunno, I'm concerned readers will forget important details in the story after long breaks in reading. Has anyone tried this before?
__________________

-Happy Holidays, from Annie Edison
Reply With Quote
  #402    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 02:01 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
How do you all feel about recaps? I've considered the idea of incorporating them into my story since I write about a chapter per month, and even less often during the semester. I dunno, I'm concerned readers will forget important details in the story after long breaks in reading. Has anyone tried this before?
Hmm... I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. Is this just a little blurb at the beginning of the chapter giving brief notes on the major events that happened recently? You know, like at the beginning of each episode of Avatar, the Last Airbender?
__________________
Proud Moderator of Fan Fiction and Writing
PC SisterPair
Reply With Quote
  #403    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:49 PM
solovino's Avatar
solovino
RAWR~❤
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: behind that truck
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Recaps are a bit of a balance thing. You could go about it a couple of ways. There's the "previously on" style used in TV series, for example, where you provide a condensed view of what has just transpired in the latest / last few eps. Or there's the settings brief, which would be a condensed view of the key on-screen events in the story regardless of how ago they transpired. Or perhaps there's something in the middle.

And each recap style is proner to help catch up a certain kind of reader than others, so I guess part of it is who you want to help catch up. I feel loyal but non-exclusively dedicated readers would strongly benefit from the first style, whereas the second would seem to be better fit for readers archive binging or about making the leap to comment / review. Just my opinion, dunno what the others think.

Still, as Nolafus says, I don't think I've ever seen a fanfic recap. So I can't judge their utility by experience.
__________________
Solovino / Venia Silente's Activity
Works
Fics
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Reply With Quote
  #404    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 06:29 PM
Scarlet Knight's Avatar
Scarlet Knight
Respect the Chemistry
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nueva Jersey
Age: 19
Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolafus View Post
Hmm... I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. Is this just a little blurb at the beginning of the chapter giving brief notes on the major events that happened recently? You know, like at the beginning of each episode of Avatar, the Last Airbender?
I'm not too familiar with Avatar (I know, sue me), but I believe we're talking about the same thing here. My go-to-TV show at the moment would be Arrow. A more popular example, I suppose, would be...I don't know. Yu-Gi-Oh? In my head, I planned to write it in a collection of quotes labeled "Chapter 1", "Chapter 3", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino View Post
Recaps are a bit of a balance thing. You could go about it a couple of ways. There's the "previously on" style used in TV series, for example, where you provide a condensed view of what has just transpired in the latest / last few eps. Or there's the settings brief, which would be a condensed view of the key on-screen events in the story regardless of how ago they transpired. Or perhaps there's something in the middle.
Yeah, I was thinking of going about this the first way. Frankly, I'm not sure what the second option is describing, haha. I do, however, want to avoid phrases like "previously on [Insert Title Here]" because I don't want my story to sound like basic written TV. A simple "Previously..." would work, I believe.

Quote:
And each recap style is proner to help catch up a certain kind of reader than others, so I guess part of it is who you want to help catch up. I feel loyal but non-exclusively dedicated readers would strongly benefit from the first style, whereas the second would seem to be better fit for readers archive binging or about the leap to comment / review. Just my opinion, dunno what the others think.
I agree. I don't want it to be a cheat sheet for people who want to skip chapters, though I can see it unintentionally becoming exactly that. The main purpose is to remind readers something they could have forgotten. A subtle character moment trapped in the middle of a long chapter. Or an event that transpired quite a few chapters ago, which with my pace could translate to months in time. And even if it does become a cheat sheet, would that be the worst thing? If anything, it could make the story more comfortable for new readers, especially members whose join dates are preceded by my fic's birth date, to get into it.

Quote:
Still, as Nolafus says, I don't think I've ever seen a fanfic recap. So I can't judge their utility by experience.
Me neither. I got the idea from a friend of mine who writes for fun at a different forum. He went on a year-long hiatus and started off the next chapter summarizing events from before. Connecting that with all the TV I watch, and the idea just came to me.
__________________

-Happy Holidays, from Annie Edison
Reply With Quote
  #405    
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 09:00 PM
Lucky#13's Avatar
Lucky#13
Lucky Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: somewhere
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post


How do you all feel about recaps? I've considered the idea of incorporating them into my story since I write about a chapter per month, and even less often during the semester. I dunno, I'm concerned readers will forget important details in the story after long breaks in reading. Has anyone tried this before?
I usually won't release anything I've worked on until it is finished. It can be read like a novel that way. No one is waiting for the next chapter to be released.

You definitely don't want to do a "here's what you missed" type thing. That promotes skipping chapters. You could remind readers of plot points from several chapters prior (at least 3 with your rate). By setting up a slight recap. You could casually place certain points into dialogue or thoughts from any character whose thoughts are read by the reader.
__________________
Lucky Punch
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.