• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Oh, okay.
So...how or where do I check to see what this notification is?

I am at work atm. I left my 3DS manual back home. =/
I believe you can read the general notification in the notifications tab at the top of the home page, but to get rid of the dot (green or blue) you need to go into the game to actually view the notification, i.e. in Pokemon you have to open the Holo Caster I think.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I got two Moltres' one Rash and one Modest. I wanted to have it as a mixed attacker because it's Att is pretty high and I wanted to make use of that, but is it worth it? I hate letting it's second highest stat go to waste but I just wanted to get other people's opinions. Thanks!

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I got two Moltres' one Rash and one Modest. I wanted to have it as a mixed attacker because it's Att is pretty high and I wanted to make use of that, but is it worth it? I hate letting it's second highest stat go to waste but I just wanted to get other people's opinions. Thanks!

In my personal Opinion, due to Moltres' lack of special defense and it's high vulnerability to common electric/water/rock attacks, the best options for moltres i think is either a Timid/Modest all-out special attacker because it's pretty rare for Moltres to survive more than 2 turns, let alone 1, also it's Special Attack options have more damaging power too compared to it's weaker or 2-turn requirement physical moves.

I recommend Hurricane, Flamethrower, FireBlast or HeatWave(for double/triple), Solar Beam if Sun Support is up or Hidden Power Ground to strike other firetypes.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Can someone please tell me who I need to breed both Forretress and Skamory with so they both get Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rocks? I just need to make sure I don't waste anymore time in breeding. Cheers guys.

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
Can someone please tell me who I need to breed both Forretress and Skamory with so they both get Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rocks? I just need to make sure I don't waste anymore time in breeding. Cheers guys.

You can see who to breed them with here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Forretress_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#By_breeding
Looks liek forrestress gets stealth from Dweeble or Crustle
and gets toxic from Beedrill, Skoupi, Drapion, or another Forrestress

As for Skarmory, it looks like it can't learn either o.O but naturally learns "spikes" when leveling up.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Skarmory_(Pokémon)#By_breeding

After googling Skarmory, indeed, it looks like it can't learn Toxic Spikes.
As for Stealth Rocks, I guess it can learn it but it gets that by a move tutor in B2W2 according to the search results.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
You can see who to breed them with here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Forretress_(Pokémon)#By_breeding
Looks liek forrestress gets stealth from Dweeble or Crustle
and gets toxic from Beedrill, Skoupi, Drapion, or another Forrestress

As for Skarmory, it looks like it can't learn either o.O but naturally learns "spikes" when leveling up.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Skarmory_(Pokémon)#By_breeding

After googling Skarmory, indeed, it looks like it can't learn Toxic Spikes.
As for Stealth Rocks, I guess it can learn it but it gets that by a move tutor in B2W2 according to the search results.

Thanks for the reply. I did look them up on Bulbapedia first but then I read that Beedrll didn't breed to produce Toxic Spikes with Forretress, so I figured I would ask on here to make sure. Thanks again! :)

Years
I'm trying to make a unique competitive team.

So far my team is: (Unevolved, just bred them)
Numel (Modest Simple Sp Attacker)
Spheal (Bold thick fat wall)
Shuppet (My Mega) (Adamant)
and MAYBE Shroomish

Need 2-3 new members. I'm thinking shroomish cause it has access to poison moves and fighting PLUS it's grass typed. So.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish.

These are the real-world regions recognized by the Pokedex. I was wondering if this is determined by the language you choose before starting your game, or by your 3DS location. If its based on the latter, is there a resource for me to know which regions are associated with which language? For instance, if I met someone online from Canada or the Netherlands, how would I know which of the above their pokemon are likely recognized as?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm trying to make a unique competitive team.

So far my team is: (Unevolved, just bred them)
Numel (Modest Simple Sp Attacker)
Spheal (Bold thick fat wall)
Shuppet (My Mega) (Adamant)
and MAYBE Shroomish

Need 2-3 new members. I'm thinking shroomish cause it has access to poison moves and fighting PLUS it's grass typed. So.

You should give Salamence a try. I've used it before, and it's great. If you could get your hands on one with its hidden ability, Moxie, then it would be even better. Bagon could be found on Route 8, I believe, so just catch one and train. Haxorus wouldn't be such a bad option, either. If I remember correctly, Axew could be found at Connecting Cave. :]

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish.

These are the real-world regions recognized by the Pokedex. I was wondering if this is determined by the language you choose before starting your game, or by your 3DS location. If its based on the latter, is there a resource for me to know which regions are associated with which language? For instance, if I met someone online from Canada or the Netherlands, how would I know which of the above their pokemon are likely recognized as?

It's based on the language you choose when you start the game (I have both X and Y, one of which I play in English and the other in German). This is pretty confusing when it comes to the Masuda Method though, because that's based on real-world location... I'm still not sure how you can tell whether a Pokemon you receive in a trade is genuinely foreign.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
does Glaciate become Freeze Shock or Ice Burn when you change Kyurem's form, or do you need to actually learn the move while in that form from the move re learner or levelling up?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
does Glaciate become Freeze Shock or Ice Burn when you change Kyurem's form, or do you need to actually learn the move while in that form from the move re learner or levelling up?

Glaciate changes into Freeze Shock / Ice Burn automatically.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 19, 2014
shiny questions

1. What do I do with all the Pokemon in my boxes after a shiny hatches?
2. Is whether or not a Pokemon will be shiny predetermined in its egg? Or could I hatch my 5 if none are shiny, restart my ds to save PC room?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
1. What do I do with all the Pokemon in my boxes after a shiny hatches?
2. Is whether or not a Pokemon will be shiny predetermined in its egg? Or could I hatch my 5 if none are shiny, restart my ds to save PC room?

1. You hatch 'em and Wonder Trade them, release them, whatever you want. You can't release the eggs though.

2. When the egg is formed its shininess is determined. So if you want to save and soft reset, you need to do it before you talk to the Day Care Man and collect the egg. So for example, I usually save when the guy has an egg, but since it's formed, you already know if it's shiny or (you have to hatch it once). So you just reject the egg and collect 5 new ones, rinse and repeat.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
It's based on the language you choose when you start the game (I have both X and Y, one of which I play in English and the other in German). This is pretty confusing when it comes to the Masuda Method though, because that's based on real-world location... I'm still not sure how you can tell whether a Pokemon you receive in a trade is genuinely foreign.

I have a question. So your games are both played on the same 3DS, but one you play in English, and the other in German, right? What happens if you trade Pokemon between your two versions? Will the Pokemon from the game you play in German actually have the GER label when you transfer it to the game you play in English? And do you get the German entry for the 'dex for that Pokemon? I'm asking just in case you actually tried this out, not just guessing though.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
I have a question. So your games are both played on the same 3DS, but one you play in English, and the other in German, right? What happens if you trade Pokemon between your two versions? Will the Pokemon from the game you play in German actually have the GER label when you transfer it to the game you play in English? And do you get the German entry for the 'dex for that Pokemon? I'm asking just in case you actually tried this out, not just guessing though.

Yep; two games, one 3DS. I've transferred Pokemon between them using Pokemon Bank, and the German ones have a GER tag when transferred to the English game and similarly the English ones have an ENG tag when transferred to the German game. And yeah, I get the Pokedex entry in the other language too. It treats it just like a foreign Pokemon.

Shhmew

Years
Yep; two games, one 3DS. I've transferred Pokemon between them using Pokemon Bank, and the German ones have a GER tag when transferred to the English game and similarly the English ones have an ENG tag when transferred to the German game. And yeah, I get the Pokedex entry in the other language too. It treats it just like a foreign Pokemon.
Hmmm, yet Masuda Method is based on location? Maybe that's why I've had some Masuda Methods end up in way over a thousand eggs; the pokemon I'm using has the foreign language tag but isn't actually foreign? .__. How can you distinguish between the two?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
Hmmm, yet Masuda Method is based on location? Maybe that's why I've had some Masuda Methods end up in way over a thousand eggs; the pokemon I'm using has the foreign language tag but isn't actually foreign? .__. How can you distinguish between the two?

You can't. It's certainly a problem. There are two possibilities:

1. Masuda Method depends only on the language of the game.
In this case, it's easy to tell which Pokemon you can use for the Masuda Method. Just look for the tag. But it also means that you could technically use the Masuda Method without even trading with anyone (i.e. just using the Bank), which seems wrong...

2. Masuda Method depends on geographical location.
In this case, the Masuda Method retains its original intention (to promote international trading). But on the other hand, it also means that it's impossible to tell whether a Pokemon you receive in a trade is truly foreign. Of course, it's likely that if the person isn't playing in English then they are in a different country, but nonetheless it introduces some ambiguity.

So either way there's a flaw with the system. From what I've read, the second hypothesis seems to be more popular, but there is yet to be a definitive answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back