• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
The tree I slathered with Honey in the last update attracted a Cherubi, and since I was going to be busy most if the day I decided to slather around five more trees to try and get a Burmy later. When I came back to the trees, I found a Burmy on one of them and then I soft reset to get a female. I decided to box Cherubi and invest my time into Burmy. I trained the whole team a little to even out the levels, then I defeated Team Galactic in Eterna City and traveled through Hearthome and Solaceon to get to Veilstone, where I took on and defeated Maylene to get my third badge. Then I went straight to Pastoria and defeated Wake to earn my fourth badge. Then I went through and did the events in Celestic Town before going back to Hearthome to take on the fifth gym. Once I defeated Fantina, I flew to Jubilife and went west towards Canalave, where I defeated both my rival and the sixth gym leader. Then I followed the plot and defeated Team Galactic at Lake Valor, and saved before taking on Galactic at Lake Verity. My team:

torterra.png
Torterra / Lv40 / Earthquake, Bite, Mega Drain, Razor Leaf
roselia.png
Roselia / Lv39 / Toxic, Magical Leaf, Shadow Ball, Giga Drain
wormadam-plant.png
Wormadam / Lv40 / Razor Leaf, Psybeam, Hidden Power, Flail

✔Pokemon Blue Version
venusaur.png
parasect.png
victreebel.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Silver Version
meganium.png
gloom.png
bellossom.png
parasect.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Sapphire Version
sceptile.png
ludicolo.png
breloom.png
cacturne.png
cradily.png
tropius.png

Pokemon Diamond Version
torterra.png
roselia.png
wormadam-plant.png

Pokemon Black Version
Type: Grass

Years
Okay, another update, I've done a bit more than last time (don't forget, this is a normal-type challenge in SoulSilver).

Progress:
Went through Union Cave with little trouble (although rock-types are annoying with a normal-type team).
Got to Azelea Town, cleared Slowpoke Well, then beat Bugsy.
Made the journey to Goldenrod City, beat Whitney and got the bike/SquirtBottle.
Evolved my Pokemon by trading (except Licky).
Got to the Pokeathlon Dome, did a couple of courses.

Time taken:
6:24

Badges:
53361.gif
Zephyr Badge
pokemon_badges-hiveBadge.gif
Hive Badge
pokemon_badges-plainBadge.gif
Plain Badge

Team:
474-frame1.png
Lv. 18 Porygon-Z (Data.01)
108-frame1.png
Lv. 18 Lickitung (Licky)
143-frame1.png
Lv. 17 Snorlax (Lax)
468.png
Lv. 17 Togekiss (Happy)

Lockdown

Doom in a can
Years
UMC Fighting Challenge Kanto
Games-LG->HG->E->P->B
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
^Went to One Island to talk to Bill and Celio
^Talked to them
^Went back to Kanto
^Went to Viridian City
^Went into the gym
^Pulled out Cataclysm so he could train before the gym leader battle with Giovanni
^Cataclysm almost fainted so I went to a Pokemon Center and healed
^Went back into the gym almost got to Giovanni before Cataclysm nearly fainted again.
^Made my way to Giovanni, now using Nebula
^Went to a Pokemon Center to heal
^Came back and defeated Giovanni
^Now! On towards the E4!
^Huuuuuuuuuuu.......... Victory Road.
^Went back to Celadon to buy some repels
^Came back and went through Victory Road, undisturbed by wild pokemon
^Exited out of Victory Road and headed straight towards Indigo Plateau
^Healed up at Indigo Plateau
^Went out to grind my pokemon to Lv.60 or higher
^After about an hour and a half of continuous battling, SuperNova, Nebula, StarShade, and Cataclysm were ready to beat down the Pokemon League!
^Bought lots of Full Restores and Revives (50 each, and I STILL have over (-Insert Pokemon Money Symbol here-)50000)
^CANT BUY ETHERS OR ELIXIRS????? ImPoSiBrU!!!!
^Took on Lorelei
^SuperNova won single-handed
^Bruno was next
^Nebula fainted on the last pokemon, but StarShade finished it.
^Next I had to face Agatha
^Lost because Gengar likes to spam Double Team, and StarShade is my only pokemon that could hit Gengar
^Went back for my second round on the E4
^Beat Lorlei
^Beat Bruno
^Just BARELY beat Agatha
^Nebula EASILY took out Lance (How? I have no idea)
^Woot! At the last battle, Free.
^BARELY beat Free
^Finished the Kanto part of my challenge...... Good Bye SuperNova, Nebula, StarShade, and Cataclysm, you will never be forgotten.
^Actually watched the credits, I love the songs at the end of Pokemon games.

Final Team:
Spoiler:

Goodbye Kanto (My third favorite region)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UMC Fighting Challenge Johto
Games- LG -> HG -> E -> P -> B

^Started up HeartGold and cheated in a Lv.5 Heracross (Can't be found until much later in the game, just like every other Fighting Pokemon.....)

Thats all I had time to do in Johto, my least favorite region

Current Team:
Spoiler:

♚ Here's looking at you, kid.
Years
This looks like fun, and I have FireRed all ready for a restart too, so why not? I would love to get in on this challenge.

Username: Sovereign.
Type: Water
Challenge: Single
Game: FR

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
^Started up HeartGold and cheated in a Lv.5 Heracross (Can't be found until much later in the game, just like every other Fighting Pokemon.....)

You can actually get a Heracross fairly early by headbutting trees in Azalea Town. Plus you can trade this guy in Goldernrod City a Drowzee and he'll give you Muscle the Machop. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
I back tracked and caught a Nosepass in Mt. Coronet, evolved it and grinded it up to match my team. Spammed underground to get a skull fossil, revived it to get a Cranidos, evolved it and grinded it up to match my team. Grinded my whole team in order to be able to beat Wake. Got my 5th badge, next up is Byron!

Video:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Lockdown

Doom in a can
Years
UMC Fighting Challenge
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
^Got to Cherrygrove City
^Got the Running Shoes and Map Card
^How come now all I can find in the wild is Lv.5 female Heracrosses? (Is that even right? Heracrosses? or should it be Heracrossi?)
^I just love Heracross's cry!
^The wild Heracross thing fixed
^Went to Mr. Pokemon's house
^Beat my rival-in-the-making
^Got back to New Bark Town and went into the Pokemon Lab to see Prof. Elm
^Told the Police the thief's name (Free)
^Gave Elm the egg
^Told my mom that I was leaving her.
^Watched Lyra catch a pokemon
^Stored Totodile in the box.
^Went on towards the first gym
^Game freezes every time I battle, have to download a Gold or Silver rom, HeartGold hates me....

♚ Here's looking at you, kid.
Years

Watersedge.gif

Single Monotype Challenge
First Update

Challenger: Sovereign.
Game Card: FireRed
Monotype: Water

Current Progress
-
maletrainer.png

Trainer: Miles // Log-Out Zone: Cerulean Pokémon Center // Date: 12-22-2012

• Start game.
  • Created TRAINER named Miles and identified RIVAL as Liam. Visited Professor Oak's Lab and received SQUIRTLE from the three starters. Liam chose BULBASAUR. Gave starter the nickname Poseidon.
    • Decided to name all Team Pokémon after Greek/Roman Mythology.
  • RIVAL Liam challenged me to a duel. With a spray of Tackle's I came out victorious. Poseidon grew to LV. 6.
  • Journeyed through the Tall Grass into Viridian City. Received Potion from talking to a random stranger. Poseidon grew to LV. 7. Poseidon learned Bubble.
  • Healed at POKéMON CENTER. Saved for the safety of progress. Walked into POKéMART and received Parcel from Employee. Returned Parcel to Professor Oak in his lab. Received Pokédex and Pokéballs (x5) from Oak.
  • Entered Liam's house and received Town Map from his sister.
  • Returned to Viridian City and trained in the Tall Grass. Poseidon grew to LV. 12 and learned Withdraw. Bought Potion (x5) and Antidote (x2) from POKéMART
  • Challenged by RIVAL Liam on Route 22. Defeated his BULBASAUR and PIDGY. Poseidon grew to LV. 13 and learned Water Gun while replacing Tail Whip.
  • Returned to Viridian City and received Teachy TV. Continued on through Route 2 into Viridian Forest. Battled and defeated all trainers in area. Poseidon grew to LV. 16. Poseidon evolved into WARTORTLE. Received Pokéball, Potion (x2), and Antidote.
  • Entered Pewter City and healed at POKéMON CENTER.
  • Challenged GYM LEADER BROCK and defeated his GEODUDE and ONYX. Poseidon grew to LV 18. Received Boulder Badge, TM39, and TM/HM Case.
  • Received Running Shoes from PROFESSOR OAK'S AIDE. Continued into Route 3. Challenged and defeated every trainer in area. Posiedon grew to LV. 20. Poseidon learned Bite.
  • Healed at POKéMON CENTER. Bought a MAGIKARP from seller for Y500. Nicknamed Pokémon Siren.
  • Continued on to MT. Moon. Battled and defeated all trainers in area. Swap-Trained Siren to LV. 12. Poseidon grew to LV. 22. Received TM09, Paralyz Heal, StarPiece, Potion, Escape Rope, TM46, Moon Stone, Revive, Dome Fossil.
  • Continued on to Route 4 and received TM05. Entered Cerulean City.
  • Healed at POKéMON CENTER. Stocked up items in POKéMART. Challenged and defeated both trainers in the Gym. Siren grew to LV 13 by Swap-Training.
  • Challenged GYM LEADER MISTY and defeated her STARYU and STARMIE. Poseidon grew to LV. 23. Siren grew to LV. 14 through Swap-Training. Received Cascade Badge and TM03.
  • Challenged RIVAL Liam and defeated his PIDGEOTTO, RATTATA, ABRA, and BULBASAUR. Poseidon grew to LV. 25. Siren grew to LV. 15 through Swap Training. Siren learned Tackle. Received Fame Checker.
  • Logged off in Cerulean City POKéMON CENTER.

Pokémon Team Status -
Spr_3f_008.png
Poseidon
Level 24
HASTY Nature
Ability: Torrent
Moveset: Bite, Water Gun, Bubble, Withdraw
Spr_3f_129.png
Siren
Level 15
HASTY Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
Moveset: Splash, Tackle

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I want to let you guys know that I should be updating the Participants list, and Champions list on my next day off that's NOT Christmas. If I find the time, I may do some of it on Christmas, but most of the work will be done on my other day off this coming week. I also added another paragraph to the introduction for anyone who wants to read it.

Last edited:
Years
This will be my first stab at a challenge so I am excited about this :D

Username: FlameNinja
Type: Water
Game: Black

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
I thought I had an account on PokeCommunity, but it would appear I was wrong, so I am gonna do the Ultimate Monotype Challenge now! I can update pretty frequently, if everything works how I want it to.

Username: Dr. Slavic
Type: Bug
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Red, Crystal, Ruby, Pearl, Black

Years
Another update, I did get a few more badges today! Also, I apologise for the ??s for the time and Pokemon levels, but I left my cartridge at a friends, and I don't remember the numbers from the top of my head. I'll edit this post to fix that ASAP. As a brief estimate, I'd say the time would be around 13:00, and my Pokemon are all about Lv. 27. Today I also added a new member to my team, a Stantler. It's pretty cool!

Time taken:
??:??

Badges:
53361.gif
Zephyr Badge
pokemon_badges-hiveBadge.gif
Hive Badge
pokemon_badges-plainBadge.gif
Plain Badge
54951.gif
Fog Badge
pokemon_badges-stormBadge.gif
Storm Badge
pokemon_badges-mineralBadge.gif
Mineral Badge
pokemon_badges-glacierBadge.gif
Glacier Badge

Team:
474-frame1.png
Lv. ?? Porygon-Z (Data.01)
108-frame1.png
Lv. ?? Lickitung (Licky)
143-frame1.png
Lv. ?? Snorlax (Lax)
468.png
Lv. ?? Togekiss (Happy)
234.png
Lv. ?? Stantler (Cupid)

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
I want to resume my challenge and for the beginning
Spoiler:

2nd Post.
Spoiler:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Username: Griffinbane
Type: Bug
Game(s): Emerald

Welp, I decided to do a bug monotype on Emerald for fun...and didn't realize that there were very very few bugs in the game. Oopsie! Welp, might as well.

Current team:
Wurmple Lv. 3
Torchic Lv. 7 (readying my kicking boot)
Zigzagoon Lv. 2 (HM slave)

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
I can't say for sure when I'll have everythig up to speed. It would be inefficient for me to dig through every post in this thread looking for people who have completed the challenge, so I'm asking people who have finished to PM me with a link to your completion post. I'll probably skim though the last 5 pages or so for my initial update. Though it will take me a while to do that even. Just be patient, and in the mean time enjoy the challenge!

Reading this 3 days from initial posting. Will PM you for the info. TY!

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
-- UPDATE 1 --

So I made some good headway on this challenge and knocked off the first three badges. Everything is in the spoiler, quick synopsis is underneath. Unfortunately, I messed up the screenshots, so I'll post those starting in Crystal. Nonetheless!

Spoiler:

~-~ Team ~-~

Spr_1b_015.png

Sgt. Sting - Level 25
Poison Sting
Twin Needle
Fury Attack
Rage

Spr_1b_012.png

Margarine - Level 25
Harden
Confusion
PoisonPowder
Sleep Powder

Spr_1b_047.png

Fun Guy - Level 25
Body Slam
Stun Spore
Leech Life
Dig

~-~ HM Slaves ~-~

Spr_1b_007.png

Squirts

Spr_1b_016.png

Tweety

Spr_1b_056.png

Max Power

Spr_1b_043.png

Oddball

~-~ Badges ~-~

50px-Boulder_Badge.png
50px-Cascade_Badge.png
50px-Thunder_Badge.png

-- END OF UPDATE 1 --

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Well it's been a long while, but I finally am going to start finishing my monotype challenges! My last update was in the old thread back in the end of April, lol.

Started Psychic on White 2 a couple weeks ago. Right now I have 1 badge and started with a hacked Bronzor since there are no early Psychic types unlike BW. Will have a more complete update later for you guys!

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I've just finished the Sinnoh portion of my challenge! I defeat Team Galactic Lake Verity, then traveled north to Lake Acuity and Snowpoint City. On my way, I caught a Snover and trained it up to the rest of my team, evolving it on the way. After some more training, I went straight to the Gym and defeated Candice, earning my seventh gym badge. Next I followed the Galactic plot line, defeating the evil tea at their Veilstone Headquarters then at the Spear Pillar. I defeated Dialga, then went straight to Sunyshore City to continue the gym challenge. However before that I went underground to find a Shiny Stone so I could evolve Roselia. Once I did that, I made my way through the Sunyshore Gym and defeated Volkner, earning my final gym badge. Next, I went straight through the next route and Victory Road so that I could take on the Elite Four. I decided to see how I would do despite my team being around level 52, and I managed to beat them! Aaron was not too difficult, and Bertha was a breeze. Flint was easier than expected, and Lucian wasn't too hard to take down besides his Bronzong. It took me two tries to defeat Cynthia, but the second try proved to be much easier for some reason. Anyways, here is my final team:

torterra.png
Torterra / Lv55 / Earthquake, Crunch, Rock Slide, Wood Hammer
roserade.png
Roserade / Lv55 / Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, Petal Dance
wormadam-plant.png
Wormadam / Lv52 / Psychic, Energy Ball, Hidden Power, Giga Drain
abomasnow.png
Abomasnow / Lv54 / Blizzard, Brick Break, Iron Tail, Wood Hammer

For this leg of the challenge, I'm deciding not to name an MVP or LVP because they all did extremely well and carried their weight. I expected to give Wormadam LVP, but it managed to defeat Flints level 61 Infernape single-handed, which is not something I would've expected an LVP to do.
Now I will move on to the final leg of this challenge, taking on the Unova Gym Challenge with my Grass types!

✔Pokemon Blue Version
venusaur.png
parasect.png
victreebel.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Silver Version
meganium.png
gloom.png
bellossom.png
parasect.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Sapphire Version