• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Community Hack [Discussion]

Would you help make a Community Hack?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bela

Banned
Years
I like the idea of a community hack. I say Darthatron should be in charge of it as well. =]

I do agree that some sort of vision should be tempered early on before we really do much else; what do you guys think? There seems to be a lot of political talk, would you guys want to make something with that as a theme? =P

Jim Boob

Freelance Mapper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
I love the idea and think a council is the way to do it, take the 10ish the most distinguished people and have them make a majority vote on major aspects such as story line.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I love the idea and think a council is the way to do it, take the 10ish the most distinguished people and have them make a majority vote on major aspects such as story line.
10? I dunno, that may be too many. Personally, I'd go with around 5, as it's important that we have as few people up top as possible.

Oh, and if he were considering it, I'd also vote Darthatron.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I think Dr.Fuji alluded to 20 people being the minimum amount of people needed before we actually consider making this hack (2 more people :D).

For next steps after this poll, I suggest people volunteer themselves to be group leader and we nominate from a list (maybe with a poll again?). After that we can decide on certain section leaders (scripting, mapping, story, general graphics). And finally after that we can decide that we're hacking Fire red and work on whatever needs to be done :)

Note:
For section leaders, I think that they need to be knowledgeable in their area of expertise. This is the only part in determining the team (and leader ofcourse) where hacker skill should be considered. Maybe we apply for said positions and leader can decide who makes the cut?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Thanks for the kind words, guys, but I barely have enough time to work on the handful of little projects I already work on. I highly doubt I can find the time to lead the development of a full hack.

Though, I suppose, if nobody else is willing to do it who you all feel is capable of the task, then I can take the leadership role.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I think Dr.Fuji alluded to 20 people being the minimum amount of people needed before we actually consider making this hack (2 more people :D).

For next steps after this poll, I suggest people volunteer themselves to be group leader and we nominate from a list (maybe with a poll again?). After that we can decide on certain section leaders (scripting, mapping, story, general graphics). And finally after that we can decide that we're hacking Fire red and work on whatever needs to be done :)

Note:
For section leaders, I think that they need to be knowledgeable in their area of expertise. This is the only part in determining the team (and leader ofcourse) where hacker skill should be considered. Maybe we apply for said positions and leader can decide who makes the cut?

No, you can only vote once!

Yes, yes I like the idea you apply for the position you want ;)

But first we need that leader.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Thanks for the kind words, guys, but I barely have enough time to work on the handful of little projects I already work on. I highly doubt I can find the time to lead the development of a full hack.

Though, I suppose, if nobody else is willing to do it who you all feel is capable of the task, then I can take the leadership role.
Hm...I don't think you should do it out of obligation. If you truly don't have the time, then you don't need to do it; I'm sure someone else might raise their voice.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
The only thing I don't like about this "summit your work, if we like it, we will use it, if not - oh well" Is that when I work on a map, lets say, I put my heart and soul into it. I put hours into the smallest detail and if my work would be not used, I would be very upset. Think about it, would you want to work hard on something that may or may not even be used?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
The only thing I don't like about this "summit your work, if we like it, we will use it, if not - oh well" Is that when I work on a map, lets say, I put my heart and soul into it. I put hours into the smallest detail and if my work would be not used, I would be very upset. Think about it, would you want to work hard on something that may or may not even be used?

I was thinking more of "this is what's wrong with it" rather than "this is worthless". If the mapper is happy to make changes, I don't see why it couldn't be worked out.

Honestly, if someone has the opinion that their work is fantastic and can't take the constructive criticism and make changes accordingly, then they shouldn't be submitting anything for the hack.

In the real world if something isn't right from the person who holds the powers point of view, then it won't be used and you won't get paid.

There needs to be some standard, otherwise it would be all over the place.

Jim Boob

Freelance Mapper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016

If your the sort of person that puts that much effort into a map it's hard to imagine you creating a peice of work that would not be used, and on the off chance it isn't as long as reasons and constructive criticism are provided it would not be to disappointing. As long as people's work is not simply rejected.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I was thinking more of "this is what's wrong with it" rather than "this is worthless". If the mapper is happy to make changes, I don't see why it couldn't be worked out.

Honestly, if someone has the opinion that their work is fantastic and can't take the constructive criticism and make changes accordingly, then they shouldn't be submitting anything for the hack.

In the real world if something isn't right from the person who holds the powers point of view, then it won't be used and you won't get paid.

There needs to be some standard, otherwise it would be all over the place.
Lead us please, oh wise and experienced one.

We almost got 20 people looking at working on this, no one has said no either. Lookin' good in my opinion.

Also, when we do get this going, will we be communicating through a thread? That can get a little spammy. Maybe a chatting program? We can post the chat logs on here or something.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
A suggestion here

There is only a small amount of people with the required knowledge interesting in to participate in the prioject. Also it's more than likely that some of them quit during the process. And newbies would be totally useless to have in the project if they were to do more than draw maps, graphics or similar.

Then again, how about making one team member being a private tutor for ones interested in helping out? If a newbie would like to help out with the process, s/he would be qualified by "taking lessons" from this private tutor of the team. This tutor wouldn't even have to do a whole lot; pointing out interesting articles, showing examples and that way make the newbie learn enough to be able to actually help out.

I mean, if I was the project leader, I sure wouldn't want anyone doing any type of rom hacking and I don't consider spriting "hacking", it has never had to do anything about it without being able to trust that they do their job well, without re-writing some of the in-game code (or modifications made by other team members) leading into glitches.

Besides, what's the point of letting a person without the desire to learn participate in the project? One not even a least bit interested to learn shouldn't be creating rom hacks in the first place.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2013
Well i don't know if there is any "free space" left in the team but i would really like to participate :) I'm not that specialized in mapping though :( but i really like being creative with pokémon/attacks so if pokémon/attacks from other generations or even custom (I'm not that good at spriting sadly) i would really like to help :) Also I really like animating custom or gen VI/V attacks and would also do this :)

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
A suggestion here

There is only a small amount of people with the required knowledge interesting in to participate in the prioject. Also it's more than likely that some of them quit during the process. And newbies would be totally useless to have in the project if they were to do more than draw maps, graphics or similar.

Then again, how about making one team member being a private tutor for ones interested in helping out? If a newbie would like to help out with the process, s/he would be qualified by "taking lessons" from this private tutor of the team. This tutor wouldn't even have to do a whole lot; pointing out interesting articles, showing examples and that way make the newbie learn enough to be able to actually help out.

I mean, if I was the project leader, I sure wouldn't want anyone doing any type of rom hacking and I don't consider spriting "hacking", it has never had to do anything about it without being able to trust that they do their job well, without re-writing some of the in-game code (or modifications made by other team members) leading into glitches.

Besides, what's the point of letting a person without the desire to learn participate in the project? One not even a least bit interested to learn shouldn't be creating rom hacks in the first place.

No, no tutoring. If people want to learn they can do it on their own time. Having to teach someone how to program/map/whatever will only take up more time, be more disorganized, and isn't really fair to everyone else because statistically speaking, the beginner's quality will not be as good.

--------

Also, here's what we have to do before even starting, imo:
1. Agree on one solid leader (DARTHATRON PLS ;-;)
2. Choose categorical leaders -- someone like Chaos Rush would be great for graphics, or Gira for music, for example. Maybe we don't even need this. A better idea may even be that there's one leader/coordinator, and everyone else works in pairs for a certain category, sharing the burden.
3. Get some sort of chat so people can communicate more easily. Skype would be best, but there's also AIM or Xat (an internet chat, you don't have to download anything. It can be made private).

But you know, if people like Darthatron/Chaos/Gira don't want to/can't do it, I'm not sure the quality of the hack will be that great. If people are serious about this, then we definitely want all good people, or else the bad will drag everyone else down. Harsh, yeah, but true.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
This.

But if we do decide on a Dictatorship, I shotgun the role of Dictator.

I suggest we allow anyone to suggest ideas, some sort of council who decides on which ideas should (if actually viable) be voted on, and then allow the masses to vote "yay" or "nay".

That said, I still don't like the idea of a community hack. Though, I suppose, if there is enough support I would work on it.

Man I actually wanted the dictator post.... sigh...

Anyways... the fact that the idea is out there is soo absurd that it might just work
In the words of Albert Einstein 'If at first an idea does not sound absurd then there is no hope to it'

that being said if you ever need an extra scripter I'd be happy to offer my services....

kj3400

Wants a Magneton for a Charger
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2014
If and when we decide on when/who's going to do this, I'd like to help with the world map in regards to the layout, not actually putting it in the game, and I can do a bit of scripting.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
No, no tutoring. If people want to learn they can do it on their own time. Having to teach someone how to program/map/whatever will only take up more time, be more disorganized, and isn't really fair to everyone else because statistically speaking, the beginner's quality will not be as good.
I guess you're right. Ones willing to learn would eventually make it through themselves.
I just have hard time imagining it to happen; I "grew up" hacking Gen II which kinda makes you learn stuff in a whole different way.
And even I got almost nowhere in two years from the point since I started.

But you know, if people like Darthatron/Chaos/Gira don't want to/can't do it, I'm not sure the quality of the hack will be that great. If people are serious about this, then we definitely want all good people, or else the bad will drag everyone else down. Harsh, yeah, but true.
That's true though.

The project won't get anywhere if there are no leaders to take care of the job. Personally, I don't see this as an idea worth implementing if more advanced hackers don't want to be part of it. And whether or not to help out is everyone's own decision.

Yet still, creativity should be pulled off somewhere. No matter how great rom hackers we have got, it doesn't mean they could make a fun and good hack.
Spoiler:

Edit:
I could probably help out with the planning of storyline and events if others are interested. For reference, I did some planning earlier (I know... it sounds a lot Final Fantasy like...) http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/2886/

Last edited:

Jim Boob

Freelance Mapper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
I think the most productive thing to do now is get all the people who are interested in leading to put there name down, and have a poll, then let them/those people to decide the best way to go about this. I cant see any more progress being had from this thread.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I think the most productive thing to do now is get all the people who are interested in leading to put there name down, and have a poll, then let them/those people to decide the best way to go about this. I cant see any more progress being had from this thread.

This man is 90% right. Making a leader vote is the next thing that needs doing. You lost 10% for saying "I think", confidence bro, it's everything.

Jim Boob

Freelance Mapper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
This man is 90% right. Making a leader vote is the next thing that needs doing. You lost 10% for saying "I think", confidence bro, it's everything.

I'm not applying for leader so ill stick to "I think" i think. =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back