• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you hate seeing in stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
o hai mw so i herd u mentioned something about this on sppf
I had to go look that up to see what you were talking about. When you know my conversations better than I do, you know you've transcended simple 'convo-stalking'. XD

I'm shoving any action part onto someone else like Misheard while I play the crotchety old jerkass saying everything sucks.
I'm actually keen to shoulder some responsibility and start throwing some reviews around, tbh. I'll try and kick my ass into gear this coming term, though I'll be limited as to what I can do by upcoming exams and stuff.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Didn't we have a "Review Once a Day" challenge a while back? Maybe we could start up one of those again if enough people aren't too busy. There's a lot of fics that have been posted that need reviews. Even if the reviews are only a few sentences that point out a single mistake, they'd definitely be more helpful than nothing at all.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I had to go look that up to see what you were talking about. When you know my conversations better than I do, you know you've transcended simple 'convo-stalking'. XD

I prefer to think I have an awesome memory.

Or that I'd go bi for New Zealanders.

Didn't we have a "Review Once a Day" challenge a while back?

We did, but then the last time we did that, I'm pretty sure only one crazy person managed to get over five reviews. :( Also, I think we decided to vary it up between writing challenges, reviewing challenges, and whatever else we could think of.

But yeah, we should totally do another one if there's more than you and me interested in it.

Yay topic derailing! \o/ Wait.

Bay

Years
We did, but then the last time we did that, I'm pretty sure only one crazy person managed to get over five reviews. :( Also, I think we decided to vary it up between writing challenges, reviewing challenges, and whatever else we could think of.

But yeah, we should totally do another one if there's more than you and me interested in it.

Yay topic derailing! \o/ Wait.
LOL, I'm the crazy person that managed to get over five reviews. I actually did all 29 (that was in April...oh, April's Fools). :P

I would be interested in another reviewing challenge (see, I'm crazy XD; ), though it might depend what month it'll be in. I'm still up for a writing challenge since I want to write Pokemon fanfiction again.

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
Um.

*raises hand* I'd like to point out the fact that there were two people referencing rebirth fics at the beginning of the thread, and one of them hates all rebirth fic not because of all the rip-offs of ALNM but instead because the overabundance of angst (A ridiculously angsty past for every character? Really?) coupled with the fact that they practically glamorize suicide, depression, and abuse makes her want to bludgeon people with burlap sacks full of kittens.

OK, so maybe I didn't really mean most people, but I just wanted to defend it a bit because ALNM actually had a really deep effect on me, mainly because of how it associated suicide with a really b*tchy character, which kind of caused me to not think well of suicide. Although the depressing past for every character was a bit much. I get the feeling that's for a reason though. (He hints at it in the sequel.) She does improve later on, but only marginally. At least by the end she realizes how wrong her suicide was. Perhaps she traded in that burlap sack of kittens for a grocery bag of hamsters. *shrugs* Again, it was the meaning that I enjoyed.

Also, note to self: Lay off the angst; don't want my story to flop.

But it's as you said, to each their own.

I also can't agree more with how it seems that the reason for lack of activity is the lack of reviews. I know from experience that if I don't get any reviews or constructive feedback, I tend to lose interest in writing whatever it is I'm writing. I'm totally interested in trying to do a review a day thing; I've heard that reading and reviewing other stories can help improve writing skills of both the reviewer and the reviewed.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Perhaps she traded in that burlap sack of kittens for a grocery bag of hamsters. *shrugs*

Note to ensure that we're on the same page: The person wielding the burlap sack full of kittens would be me, dear, not the character. *motions to the long post she wrote on the first page involving how much she hates that fic and the things fanfics tend to say about suicide, depression, and so forth*

In short: I was put off by the way the fic handled suicide, and I don't find any part of it to be particularly deep because of that. I'm sorry, but it just reads like teen poetry to me -- like it's trying too hard to be deep, and as a result, it thinks that angst = depth. And the fact that it's about suicide and the fact that Angela reads just like a parody of an angst!Sue for those beginning chapters makes me feel like it's making light of the subject, rather than actually saying suicide is a bad idea. I know I can't speak for everyone, but it just felt preachy, over-the-top, and fake to me (what with angst everywhere) than something that set out to talk about issues as sensitive as that with any kind of seriousness.

And yes, I have to apologize because I know you said it affected you greatly, but I really can't find a better way to put this. (And I've edited this post three times, too.) That fic just makes me angry for so many reasons.

Last edited:

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
Note to ensure that we're on the same page: The person wielding the burlap sack full of kittens would be me, dear, not the character. *motions to the long post involving how much she hates that fic and how much she tends to think that a lot of people who write about being bullied or contemplating suicide don't actually understand what it's like to suffer both experiences*

Whoops. That's my bad, didn't realize the pronoun 'her' was referring all the way back to you (in third person) and not to the main character. Darn pronouns.

I have been bullied, verbally and physically, but not to a very large extent; it didn't really carry past middle school, luckily. But I do know what it's like to rarely be included in things. Having moved around a lot, I had a hard time making a solid group of friends; it still shows a bit, because even though I have many friends through marching band, I'm still pretty detached. I can't complain, though. It could be much worse.

In part, I agree that the beginning didn't handle depression and seperation all too well. By the end, though, I think the author had gotten much more experience and handled it a lot better. Although at the time I read the beginning, I was 15. So maybe that's why I liked it so much then and now; the beginning was more mid-teen orientated.

Also, don't apologize, expressing your thoughts in a mannerly matter doesn't need an apology; I'm not offended. If anything, an opposing point of view helps me better understand my own point of view, as well as revise it a tad when the opposing view brings up a very valid point. I try to have a very open mind in hopes of understanding the views of everyone. For example, seeing how it didn't affect you as deeply as it did me lends me to think more about how it really affected me. Maybe that's a little convoluted, but it's my way of trying to reason with the world around me. If I let myself be offended by everyone who thinks differently than me, I'll end up bitter and probably alone.

It also helps me improve my own ideas and thoughts so that I can write a more interesting story. You've given me an idea of what questions I should be asking myself as I write. I.E: Is this too depressing, or does the moment call for it? How realistic is this depiction of [insert concerning topic/issue here]? Have I spent too much time developing this character, or does he/she still need more development? Really, you don't have any need (in my eyes) to apologize; in fact, I should be thanking you.

Wow, that was really off topic at the end there. Let's give a cheer for thinking in tangents!

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
Hmm, my first real discussion here (I think). This should be interesting.

I can't be bothered to remember everything I've read in the thread, so I'll post everything that either annoys or bores me as well.

I'm mostly a journey fic / backstory fic kinda guy, so most of the fics that I read and have opinions about will be of that nature.

If there was any one thing that annoyed me the most about fics - and not just journey fics, the problem is in most places too - it would be that they move too fast. And I'm not talking with a fast pacing - I mean, moving quickly through the plot without really touching on anything.

The whole "wake up, get a Pokémon from the professor" routine would be a lot more bearable (in my opinion, anyway) if people actually took the time to describe the inside, make the character do a few things inside, and actually shake things up a bit even within the office. Ditto with the battles.

The thing that gets me secondly is grammar and spelling, of course. Not stuff like beginning a sentence with a conjunction or ending one with a preposition, but stuff like omitting articles and missing periods on every single sentence and BLEARGH.

Nothing much else bothers me as a rule, really. That's not to say that I can't find something else that bothers me as well, but it'll usually be very specific to that story.

I'm not a guy to pick on characterization much. But I really think that if people really sat down to actually make their writing flow well and flesh things out [not with overly flowery prose, that just clutters things up and makes the pacing even worse], we'd have much fewer of the Mary Sue tropes and bad characterization tendencies and such that we have now. And even if a Mary Sue did appear and make the story boring, at least it would be boring for that reason, and not just because the story is just a blur that spirals out of control.

We did, but then the last time we did that, I'm pretty sure only one crazy person managed to get over five reviews. :(

I think I got 12. And no way: I'm looking at the thread now, and Bay, you, Astinus, Mizan, bobandbill, and icomeanon6 all did the full 28. (The closest anybody else got was me, though, with 12 :<)

*edit* Agh, apparently you guys had another one. In which case, I didn't get any :<

Last edited:

toptheworld

Crash Addict
Years
Cookiecutter fics in general for me. Since I've recently been in the NxTouko craze, I've been reading a ton of fanfics about them, it's killer. It's either, N disappears, Touko becomes depressed, they meet and fall in love. Or it's N wins, and Touko must become his bride.

Mind you, I have a version of the latter one, but I'm making turn on a different path, leading to a different ending and a sequel, so I wouldn't exactly call it hypocritical.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
Yeah I have time to actually post something. :P

For me (like many others), I'm sort of bored with the whole journey fan fiction type of thing going on. I've noticed that a lot of them start off as a journey fan fiction, yet changes to something completely different as the story goes on. My question for that is, why not start there? I've seen people go about 20 to 30 chapters in, and the trainer is not even going through gyms anymore and the storyline had taken a completely different direction. If your story is that deep, don't start with your trainer going to Professor whomever. It's plenty ways to get there without going through the game mold of things happens after gyms.

It's all about getting new and creative ideas. I think people underestimate the depth that this universe can have. They can branch out to something borderline original fiction if they wanted to, but still stay true to the fandom. I enjoy reading a fan fiction where the world is so drastically different that it could even attract people that aren't into the universe.

The original trainer/coordinator things can get a bit overzealous. I'm not saying that there aren't any good ones out there, but it will be nice just to get away from them from time to time. The universe is too diverse not to try something different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a lot of ranger fan fictions out there. It has potential, but it is hardly tapped into.

Raizhu

the end
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2012
Horrible spelling and grammar along with overused plots are two huge annoyances for me.
I also stay away from stories focusing on Eevee and it's evolutions, especially Umbreon.

Bay

Years
For me (like many others), I'm sort of bored with the whole journey fan fiction type of thing going on. I've noticed that a lot of them start off as a journey fan fiction, yet changes to something completely different as the story goes on. My question for that is, why not start there? I've seen people go about 20 to 30 chapters in, and the trainer is not even going through gyms anymore and the storyline had taken a completely different direction. If your story is that deep, don't start with your trainer going to Professor whomever. It's plenty ways to get there without going through the game mold of things happens after gyms.
THIS so much. Seriously, I love journey fics where the story starts off when something serious is happening. There is one trainer/journeyfic I'm thinking of for quite some time that will start when the action begins.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
Honestly, I can get into journey fics if they can keep me interesting. If it meaning adapting game concepts and storylines, then the story should do it in an innovative way if possible but also make sure they don't deviate too much or stick to close to the original. In short: they should show variation from the others and deviate from the norm when nescessary.

Anyways, I hate it when stories stop part way through because the author didn't work the story out prior to writing. Especially when it was good so far.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
Anyways, I hate it when stories stop part way through because the author didn't work the story out prior to writing. Especially when it was good so far.

I'll admit, I'm guilty for that. Yet, also can admit that stories just seem to come alive at times. You can have it planned all that you want to, but something may come up and change your entire way of thinking about it. For example, you can plan out a character bit by bit--but when you write them, they could have evolved in a way that even you cannot predict. So, its not always poor planning is the reason for a person stopping (some times its just life got the better of them or the story just wasn't gaining the heat that they wanted.).

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I'll admit, I'm guilty for that. Yet, also can admit that stories just seem to come alive at times. You can have it planned all that you want to, but something may come up and change your entire way of thinking about it. For example, you can plan out a character bit by bit--but when you write them, they could have evolved in a way that even you cannot predict. So, its not always poor planning is the reason for a person stopping (some times its just life got the better of them or the story just wasn't gaining the heat that they wanted.).

Every time I write something, the story kind of flows without me. It's why I've decided to just have little things that have to occur in the story and then just go with it. It seems to work okay. And sometimes people just don't have the time to complete something. We can say make time all we want but sometimes you just can't. It's a difficult balance.

What I don't like in stories is the overly-emotional (not just sentimental scenes) You can be upset without being annoying about it, near wrist slitting of angst (unless it is for humor). Even if the scene is particularly emotional, it's is meant to make the reader feel the emotion, not drown in it. It goes the same in the other direction as well. There are stories (not sure if they're on here but I know I've seen them a couple times somewhere) that are completely dead. The little voice in the back of my head sounds like it's reading a textbook. That makes me fall asleep or be very ticked off. Yes voice is a big thing on my part.

So is bad writing but I'm picky about that so I will not go there.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
THIS so much. Seriously, I love journey fics where the story starts off when something serious is happening. There is one trainer/journeyfic I'm thinking of for quite some time that will start when the action begins.

I think the main reason more stories don't begin in medias res like almost everybody here is suggesting is that it doesn't seem complete without the beginning. It's kind of like starting a symphony in the second movement.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
^I think the real concern is whether the author knows where the story is heading or not.

Plus, I do think that it's important to start a journey fic with the Main character(s) getting their first Pokemon since it's better to have an origin from the get-go. However, it shouldn't just be so straight-forward as the Trainer getting his first Pokemon and Pokedex. Have something exciting happen like the evil team of the region attacking the lab for a reason that'll come into play in the future. Something like that. Just try and grab our interest with the first chapter and convince us that your fic is worth reading and following.

That another thing that I hate: when writers go all gung-ho on starting a series that haven't thought out yet, resulting in major disappointments.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I suppose that depends on the story itself tbh - some would be better not starting from the beginning if it's really not important to the story, and others would imo be quite fine with the whole get-first-Pokemon deal (although how that happens is another deal in itself).

I suppose a lot of stuff already said would be things I don't enjoy myself... although canon-characters being/not being in the story isnt a factor for me unless they are missing for no established reason (in the cases it would mak snse to have them) or if they don't feel right (they're OOC, etc).

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Plus, I do think that it's important to start a journey fic with the Main character(s) getting their first Pokemon since it's better to have an origin from the get-go.
I forget who said it, but "Start at the beginning". If a trainer's story begins right away with getting their starting Pokemon and they head out into the wide world, then it's fine to start there. But there's always exceptions where it's better to start the story where the action's going to be, and just have the "meeting the first Pokemon" be told through back story.

That's why I don't like reading a lot of new trainer journey fics, since the author feels as if they must start with meeting the starting Pokemon. Then the fic might head down the path of the slow start, where nothing happens for several chapters as the trainer goes through the standard battling of the first wild Pokemon and all that.

It's better to skip the generic beginning if it's necessary to do so. Tell the meeting of trainer and Pokemon through back story.

Which is another thing I hate seeing: forced back story or *begin flashback*

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
^I think the real concern is whether the author knows where the story is heading or not.

That another thing that I hate: when writers go all gung-ho on starting a series that haven't thought out yet, resulting in major disappointments.
But you see, Matt, this all depends on the type of author. In the NaNo community, we have terms for two different kinds of writers: the planners and the pantsers. The planners, obviously, are the ones who plan ahead, while the pantsers are the ones who wing it 'by the seat of their pants', so to speak. Most people prefer one over the other, yet nobody will begrudge another for using the opposite method. I tend to be a pantser - heck, I've pantsed every one of my fanfics so far (except my upcoming one) as well as both my NaNos. Planning works better for some people, while others - like me - find that planning ahead takes half the fun out of the writing process. As long as you can stick with it, I don't have a problem with authors who go ahead without planning. Even now - seventeen chapters in - I only have the vaguest of ideas where Champion Game is going. Yet I don't think that'll affect me as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back