• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sweet Version

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Pokémon Sweet Version

13ypbtz.png

A Sweet Stroll Through Candy Kanto

ROM Hack: Fire Red
Thread Page: [B]http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=332437[/B]
Creator: Ephraim225 and Channini

1000th Post!!

When we talk about ROM Hacks and the main series Pokémon games, one thing is very certain. Kanto is heavily revisited. From the first generation of games, Red and Blue, to the fourth generation of games in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, we have seen Kanto revised and revisited. So it is hard to say that Kanto is fresh and exciting when it even extended its influence on ROM Hacks but Pokémon Sweet Version dares to delivers on a fresh take of Kanto, offering new ways to play from beginning to end. But are these changes sweet or sour?

This iteration of Kanto is vibrant and beautiful. Something that could've passed as just a palette swap instead replaced everything we are used to. The trees are now Vanilla Ice Cream Cones which towers above the playable character. Houses are now made of chocolate, the reservoir pools and ponds were replaced by purple, grape punch and the seas, a silky, white milk. Everything in the overworld breathes life into what was, a boring, often-revisited region of Kanto.

The whole premise feels the same as any Pokémon game, yet you will soon come to terms that the story has been altered. You enter the lab and meet your two rivals, not just one, then obtain your first Pokésweet. Yes. Pokésweets. These are the Pokémon Sweet Version's equivalent to Pokémon. Your starters are, you guessed it- Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Charmander. Except they are now called Squrpie, Brownisaur and Strawmander. And just like any Pokémon game, the adventure of sweet proportions, begins.

ri511i.png

Another thing to note, is the music. The music was largely changed in this game. Although most of those promises were geared against the overworld tracks. The battle tracks remained untouched and the only tweaked battle track (Sour Admin Jerk) sounds fine, but is ultimately uneventful and displaced among the other sounds, you'll be hearing on your journey. Overall, the music is good for what was actually changed, but don't be prepared to hear an all-original sound design.

2dhyxc3.png

But we have yet to talk about the Pokésweets. Yes. Pokésweets.

It is the very highlight of Sweet Version. And Ephraim225 wants you to know that. All the wild encounters have been changed and the 151 Pokémon- we are used to- had been given the magic, sweet touch. But the First Generation of Pokémon Games(Red and Blue) doesn't get the only treatment, but also other generations as well, but the generation of Pokémon, you'll see the most, is from the fifth generation of games(Black and White). And I can say that these changes were made for the better.

All the Pokésweets look well constructed and spirited. It is an understatement to say that a lot of love and care was put into the Pokésweets' design. But these sweets aren't just for show. No. In fact, the entire type chart was fiddled and changed. Instead of just reskinning the types with new flavors, all type advantages and weaknesses, known throughout the series, was completely turned on its head.

0OsN2z2.png
FvgRJJY.png
1W64Sbc.png

This adds to a layer of depth and gameplay, I haven't seen in a standard Pokémon- hell- even ROM Hacks. Because of the new types, you will have to make acquaintance by relearning the types. Although it was fun, learning the types, it also led with one of my large gripes with the game.

Pokésweets are well-designed and fitting, but determining a Pokésweet's typing based on aesthetics alone, proved to be daunting. Vanilla, Blue, Banana, and Lime are easy enough to spot. But determining whether a type is Strawberry or Apple can prove to be annoying and you only be certain about a particular Pokésweet, if you catch it.

As a small nitpick, but since the types are morely based on fruits and citruses, rather than actual goodies, I felt it passed on a great opportunity to have a "Mint" type or an "Ice Cream" type. But that is a small nitpick.

No game is perfect, as another complaint is arguably the level curves and difficulty. This game isn't a cakewalk. What makes this bad is how easy it is to fall behind the curve of the game.

During my first impressions of the game, I lost to not only the first two rival battles, but also to wild Pokémon on the first route. It was very discouraging.

So when you play this game, be aware that this game requires a lot of patience.

Typically, in a Pokémon game, you could grind a couple of your party members to the needed level curve since most of the battles were single and one Pokémon another one is easier to manage.

With double battles, the hack calls for your ability to have precise synergy within party members. Making the right pair of Pokemon to fight the opposition is necessary, if you plan on having an easy time. If your Pokémon don't work well together, then you'll be sent back to the Pokémon Center more times than there is to count.

15p0ojo.png

That being said, you have to make sure the entire team is well-trained, not just one. So you will spend a lot of time just grinding and it is almost outright ridiculous. By the end of the first gym, I spent a grand total of 3 hours and 21 minutes, in which about 2 hours of that was solely leveling up my party. There isn't a lot of time between the introduction and the first gym, either.

Usually, you could scout the gym levels, by battling a trainer, but the game unwillingly, prevents exiting the gym upon entrance, unless you faint or clear it.

Therefore, gyms are hit or miss. You have no way to predict the gym levels and you can very well, not be prepared for it. On the other hand, the game allows the gyms to be rematched, under the same circumstances, which helps with grinding in the long run.

Level curves fluctuate all over the place, from trainers harboring Lv. 40 Pokémon in one route and another trainer having Lv.20's in the same route. So the overall progression of difficulty overall feels disjointed.

On a brighter note, Characterization is where this game truly shines. Never before have I been more engrossed in a ROM Hack in recent times, then this one. It not only dumps you in the aesthetic candy-coated world of Kanto, but it takes that theme and runs a million miles with it.

You will see dozens of jokes and character in this hack.

Want to bake a Pokésweet using berries? You can do that.

Ever wanted to collect Easter Eggs and Candy Cane for prizes? You can do that also.

Should humans decide the fate of Pokésweets by ultimately eating them or bonding with them? Pretty big deal here.

Team Sour AND Candy Pirates!

Guys, you are having too much fun here.

kQ6iXWZ.png

You may still be, more or less, in Kanto, but I was told his was a completely new region, I wouldn't be surprised. Don't expect any corners to be cut here, folks. This is as sweet as it's gonna get. And I can assure you that this experience is very immersive.

Overall, this game is easy to recommend to those wanting fresh life put into Kanto. Despite the level curves, the world is bright and beautiful, the Pokésweets are well designed, and the type chart adds new layers to the original Poké on formula. The game screams imagination and character and the only thing bringing it down is it's obscene difficulty.

I spent a grand total of 35:31 minutes in this game. This includes all the Post-game. As a whole, gameplay wise, this game is about 20 to 25 hours long, minus the grinding time. If you are a looking for a casual walk, then you aren't getting it here, but if you want new and exhilarating experiences, which flips the norm of Pokémon on its head for the better...

This game is top-notch. Definitely a succulent and sweet title for you to enjoy.

ju97d0.jpg

8.5/10

Rating Scale:
1- Downright Horrible
2- Unplayable
3- Broken
4- Bad
5- Sub-standard
6- Average
7- Good
8- Great
9- Fantastic