The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM
ZombieKangaroo

Advertise here
For me, it's only minorly what they're based on. It's more that the designs are just bad like a lot of the Gen V ones.
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:06 PM
AliceBlaze
Shiny Collector

Nature: Lonely
Personally, I think Vanillite is cute and I have a Vanilluxe in my White 2 team.

I don't see anything wrong with Pokemon based on inanimate objects (I also like Chandelure, Rotom and Klefki). I mean who said Pokemon should only be based on animals, plants and mythical creatures?
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Ultramarine
Turn the tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspurrsThoughts View Post
Even though they are great Pokemon and I even enjoy both of their designs. Genwunners just LOVE to complain about anything! The fact one is trash and the other is ice cream is awesome! I mean gen one there were sludge Pokemon and a pink pile of *** (ditto).
This is the hypocritical stance I've seen a lot of. While many people complain about Trubbish and Vannilite, the people who complain about the people complaining complain about Grimer and Ditto.

Those four pokemon are different, and everyone has a personal taste. And just because people don't like, say, Trubbish, doesn't mean they completely overlooked the fact that Grimer is a bad design too. Maybe they also dislike Grimer. Heck, maybe they like Grimer, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Mega Missingno

Vanillite and Trubbish have far more complex desgins than Exxegute or Voltore/ Electrode, for ecample. Even Ditto, Muk, and Grimer have "worse" designs than the 5th gen pokemon who get all the hate for no apparent reason

I don't like the "dirty pokemon" like Trubbish and Garbodor, but I'm not going to sit here and say that Game freak is running out of ideas because the pokemon are being based off random, common items. So have gen 1- 4 pokemon

I dunno. Some people just like to find things to ***** about
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:10 AM
KittenKoder
I Am No One Else

Nature: Calm
See my signature for the Trubbish reason. It's all personal taste, opinion, nothing more.

I kinda like the Vanillish, some people have pokemon "food fights," and it's kind of a neat idea.

The thing is, it's all subjective, the theme of Pokemon means anything goes, and eventually we'll see everything in there. I would like a counterpart to the Trubbish family, something that is their exact opposite in every way, it would be kind of cool to have a double battle with a Garbodor and it's polar opposite side by side.

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Route 18
turn up the engine
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Route 18
I personally don't like the Trubbish line, but that's just my taste. There are Pokemon that I don't really like across all the generations, and gen 5 is no exception. The Vanillite line was actually pretty cute, though.
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Juno

I'm only speaking for myself, but I find all Pokemon based on man-made things weird, regardless of the generation, with two exceptions: Ghost-type Pokemon that resemble inanimate objects (often with some kind of explanation in the Pokedex entry that says it's a spirit possessing the object), and Pokemon that are explicitly said to be man-made, like Porygon.

I know that Pokemon are monsters and not animals, but the fact that they are technically living, sentient creatures capable of reproduction and emotions makes it kind of wierd that they can inherently take the form of an ice cream cone, which is a frozen dessert that only exists for people to eat. I don't hate it, it just doesn't make sense to me, and I have a much harder time liking Pokemon that don't have anthropomorphic features besides a pair of eyes and a mouth.

I wouldn't say they're running out of ideas, because obviously inanimate objects Pokemon have existed since Gen I, I just don't particularly care for that kind of Pokemon.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Shiver89

Speaking for myself, I think Trubbish is just a reproposed Muk/Swalot in terms of appeal: a poison/rubbish/toxical wastes bag that you can use to fight. Yay. If we compare Trubbish with the first ones, we literly have just a bag of rubbish (lol ). Personally I don't like the idea and find it aesthetically bad.

As for Vanilluxe, I don't know. What I mean is: who wouldn't like to fight other mons using a giant ice-breathing ice cream? Maybe it's just too absurd as idea to fit with the V gen mons
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:55 AM
skaaaa

I wanted to like Trubbish and Garbodor but they couldn't take hits at all.
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:58 PM
darkredwing

Nature: Quiet
I don't mind Trubbish, and personally love Vanillite. But people hate them for the same reasons they hate the Litwick line, Chingling and Klefki because they're based off of objects instead of animals... but yet at the same time I haven't heard anyone really hate Honedge

3Ds Friend code: 1778-9934-1564. Let me know and I'll add you back.
Grass Safari: Oddish, Sawsbuck and Gogoat.
Old November 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Orpheus
Fml

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkredwing View Post
I don't mind Trubbish, and personally love Vanillite. But people hate them for the same reasons they hate the Litwick line, Chingling and Klefki because they're based off of objects instead of animals... but yet at the same time I haven't heard anyone really hate Honedge
And yet pokemon have been based off objects science gen 1

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old November 20th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Ohh I've had this conversation so many times...

Hate is a strong word but, I'm definitely not a fan. To clarify, I don't think they're running out of ideas, because in all honesty I really think they upped the ante in creativity with the Gen V designs. But there's a few reasons I don't like these two evolutionary lines.

For one, they are pretty poorly designed IMO. This has nothing to do with what they are (garbage and ice cream), but the design. To put it bluntly, they don't look like Pokemon. As a demonstration of what I mean, imagine this: imagine you had seen them before you had any knowledge of Gen V, and no context. Would you even guess that they were Pokemon? My first thought when I see them is "ice cream cone/garbage heap with a face", not "ice cream Pokemon/garbage heap Pokemon". Compare that to Zoroark. Immediately recognizable as a Pokemon.

Another thing is the concepts. Garbage and ice cream just aren't very interesting things to anthropomorphize. Of course, they're not the only offenders in this regard (looking at you, Mr. Gen I floating rock with arms).

And of course, there's their evolution. Trubbish goes from garbage to more garbage, and Vanillite goes from ice cream cone, to bigger ice cream cone, to bigger ice cream cone with two scoops. Blegh...they I know they could have thought of something better. Again they're not the only offenders, but I think it made a bit more sense with Magneton, because when a Magnemite gets strong enough its magnet pulls in other Magnemites.

I think the biggest one is the first one--they just don't look like Pokemon. But they can't be all perfect. For having designed over 718 of them, I think they've done a darn good job making most of them creative and interesting
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:41 AM
darkredwing

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemon hack View Post
And yet pokemon have been based off objects science gen 1
Indeed plenty of gen 1 pokemon get hate for poor designs... It just seems like more of it is aimed at gens 4-6 because people like clinging onto the the idea that they're running out of designs, plus people like to pretend that old things are always better no matter how flawed.

3Ds Friend code: 1778-9934-1564. Let me know and I'll add you back.
Grass Safari: Oddish, Sawsbuck and Gogoat.
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Shadeh
KABOOM!

Nature: Jolly
The concept is boring but trubbish and garbador are pretty good at poisoning me, nuff said.
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Ok, so despite the fact that everything I previously said stands, Vanillite has officially grown on me. It's cute :3
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM
isthatyoudan
doesn't work well with others...

I understand this thread. I started the "least favourite Pokémon" thread, and a lot of people have said trubbish.
I think that there is one thing that everyone can like about a Pokémon, even their least favourite. For me, I like trubbish for his sounds. trub trub trub.
Vanilite is just so adorabl.

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Mara
All your base are belong to us

Nature: Rash
I don't mind either of these pokemon. They don't seem all that bad to me. There are worse than these two. Plus I think Vanillite is cute. It's based off of ice cream after all.
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Warsmith
Paranoid Murderer

Nature: Bold
That settles it then, koffi~

Masuda Trubbish, here I come, koff~
FROM FAITH, COMETH HONOUR.
FROM HONOUR, COMETH IRON.
THIS IS THE UNBREAKABLE LITANY;
AND MAY IT FOREVER BE SO.
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Crabbit

I don't mind Trubbish. Vanillite though, just comes off as lazy to me.
It's literally just an ice cream with eyes.
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Yumetaro
MAI RIBBONS

Because everyone wants every single Pokemon to be a sparkling cute fox mouse.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:28 AM
DirtyMiccino

I just flat out dont understand the hate.
Maybe they are think its too childish?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here