• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gym Leader Whitney

Years
Spr_GS_Whitney.png

Normal type gym leader Whitney gave many players a lot of trouble with her dreaded Miltank + Rollout combination. How did you fare in your battles against her? Many of us chose Cyndaquil as our starter which meant Rollout would be super effective, making the match that much harder. Did you breeze through battling her or did the battle take a while? How did you defeat her?

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
For me, I just use Machop which I got from the in-game trade in the Goldenrod Department Store. Didn't really take that long considering my Machop is female too.

Years
I don't remember how I defeated her. I don't even remember having a particularly hard time of her. @_@ Although I didn't pick Cyndaquil then, I had picked Chikorita, so I wasn't particularly inconvenienced there.

I think I might have just battled her normally and just hoped things didn't go too badly. I feel like Attract was more of an annoyance to me than the Rollout was. Argh that Attract.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I've never had much of an issue with her? I mean, yeah, I've lost a couple of times, but not as much as other people seem to have lost. My problem leader was always Morty, honestly.

Anyway, I've replayed GSC a lot so I don't use the same tactic every time, but in my most recent playthrough of Silver, I actually froze Miltank with Croconaw's Ice Punch and it never defrosted so yeah. Easy win right there. lol

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 26, 2016
Whitney was one of my favourite gym leaders ever! The combo of that darn Miltalk's Attract, Milk Drink and Rollout made it a seriously tough strategy. I picked Totodile so I didn't have too bad a time luckily! I always felt guilty beating her when she cried at the end :( haha!

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
Whitney was one of my favourite gym leaders ever! The combo of that darn Miltalk's Attract, Milk Drink and Rollout made it a seriously tough strategy. I picked Totodile so I didn't have too bad a time luckily! I always felt guilty beating her when she cried at the end :( haha!

Just imagine if Whitney's Miltank knew Charm as well...

Charm
Attract
Rollout
Milk Drink

{D:}o_O

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
All I particularly remember of my first victory against her was being so confused as to why she didn't hand me my badge right away ... she just kept crying. I felt like I didn't complete some optional objective that would've earned me the badge. I like her, her team, and her character design a lot, though. She did some nice foreshadowing for Clair's hissyfit by slipping in that gym Leaders aren't obligated to hand you your rightful badge immediately; but I feel the experience was a bit token.

But overall, she doesn't stick out in my mind as particularly awful. I think she was more of a nuisance in HGSS for me, but I think that was mostly because I was trying to lead in with a Paras I was training.​

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
I think initially I just level grinded (level ground? idk) like crazy until my stronger Pokemon were a good few levels above her Miltank? Possibly with Geodude as my lead.

On later playthroughs i'd catch a Heracross and just use sheer brute force on the stupid cow. That usually worked.

Ironically, despite never having all that much trouble with Miltank, I do recall her Clefairy once using Metronome and exploding on me. Good times.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 31, 2019
Yeah I had complete trouble with Whitney's fight. I lost like ten times. I had to rely on complete luck like critical hits or the AI being stupid because I refused to grind my Pokemon ever in the game.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
If I remembered the first time i played it, I used the geodude that I trained earlier in the game and boom! She's defeated but her Milktank's Milk Drink skill tho, it was really a pain. :3

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
Uuuuuugh, I hated her and her Miltank. (I think the reason is pretty much that only one of my pokemon was really trained.) She was really a trouble for me. I just re-battled her a few times, defeating her first pkmn my
Totodile gained exp and after some lvl ups she was down.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Ohohoho! Like most GSC player here, I suffered that notorious 'Attract+Rollout+Milk Drink' combo from her Miltank. I got a bit wiser on Crystal and on subsequent replays, I tried including female Pokémon, using that Machop from the Department Store.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
She was a monster, but a likable one from afar. Despite thrashing me multiple times and making she provided a challenge every single Gym Leader should provide. Which is a rarity compared to Gym Leaders in the most recent games. Her difficulty made the victory against her the sweetest of the many Gym Leaders I have fought. If only that translated across the board for every Gym Leader. In retrospect the Johto Gym Leaders overall did provide a good challenge: Bugsy (if you chose Chikorita), Whitney, Morty, Jasmine and Clair.

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
Years
Whitney in my opinion was the most annoying gym leader in GSC. While I thrashed most of the other gyms, this one is completely different. When I first played, I was like 'Normal types? It should be easy'. But in the end, I barely won it with Rocky (who was infatuated and at 1/3 HP). But that luck, when I played Crystal again, it took 5 tries before I could defeat her.

Years
I'd say many of the hundred times I faced her, growing up with Crystal Version, Whitney beat me to the punch. Most of the time I simply trained my starter only (and yes cyndaquil was one of the times haha) and it worked out with just a clean sweep...so long as I usually faced every trainer on the way :)

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
Years
Ah, GS timew. I was still a very young boy then. I only used my starter for the whole game and had 5 fodder pokemon that I used to heal up my Quilava. Because I only used my starter it was a good 10 lvl's higher and still managed to lose a lot because miltank is pretty bulky, had milk drink to recover, attract to stop you from attacking most of the time and super effective rollout that does more dmg every turn. For me as a boy, this was hell. I got stuck so long. I don't remember how I beat her the first time, but I know I was so happy my mom told me I was crazy, ah good times.

Years
she typically always gave me a hard time even when i thought i was prepared for her. But i usually find the most success getting a nidoran in that area just before the bug catching zone and level it to competency. Then hope double kick/poison point would overwhelm her which often did eventually.

i also sometimes use the dunsparce gimmick (hgss when abilities where a thing) which would trump her strat.

11wildy

Me!
Years
I got the Dig tm from national park and teached it to one of my Pokemon to stop the Rollout from going. Allows even Quilava to beat Miltank :)

Back