The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Battling & Team Building

Notices

Battling & Team Building The forum designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Braxien
Banned

I would recommend not following what everyone else does like a sheep when doing anything in life, even if it is competitively battling on a Pokémon game. I, personally, would stop using the Greninja and create a technique/strategy which can defeat other team's successfully.
Old July 12th, 2014, 03:34 AM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Well, the problem is that many Pokemon are just simply outclassed by others so they never see the light of the day in the competitive scene.

If you want to be unique and rely on the likes of Delibird, Castform, Lumineon, etc. to win battles for you then good luck, you'll get some brownie points, but practically you won't get anywhere with it against competitive powerhouses
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Zekrom
The Divine Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxien View Post
I would recommend not following what everyone else does like a sheep when doing anything in life, even if it is competitively battling on a Pokémon game. I, personally, would stop using the Greninja and create a technique/strategy which can defeat other team's successfully.
That's a nice thought, but it's much easier said than done. Like I said before, and like Aeroblast just said, not all Pokemon are created equally, so some are just terribly outclassed by others. It's not that its impossible to win with the "weaker" or less used Pokemon; its just a lot harder to do so, and requires far more skill and knowledge.....which the majority of competitive battlers don't have.
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Braxien
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekrom View Post
That's a nice thought, but it's much easier said than done. Like I said before, and like Aeroblast just said, not all Pokemon are created equally, so some are just terribly outclassed by others. It's not that its impossible to win with the "weaker" or less used Pokemon; its just a lot harder to do so, and requires far more skill and knowledge.....which the majority of competitive battlers don't have.
I suppose you're right. However, I look at life as if nothing is impossible. Something can always be done to make things better.
Old July 16th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Juxapose

Nature: Jolly
Lately, I have had a streak of wins. All I did was just follow the same formula as everyone else. Making a team of some of the cheapest pokemon along with my favorite Pokemon of all time: Arcanine!

My team has:

Gale wings Talonflame
Bullet Punching Mega Scizor
Adaptability Mega Lucario
Prankster Illumise
Life orb Greninja
Focus Sash Tyranitar
Choice Specs Jolteon
Choice Band Dugtrio
Multi Scale/Dragon Dance/Weakness Policy Dragonite

I mean, why the heck would we use any other Pokemon. When these CLEARLY were exclusively meant for combat (Sarcasm). All the other Pokemon were meant to be collected and NEVER used (Sarcasm). God I hate myself for using cheap teams.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Birthday Thunder
Venus

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Birthday Thunder
Greninja is weak sauce. My hitmontop's mach punch kills it every time unless they use mat block, which nobody in their right mind should use on a greninja set. Even then, it's just delaying the inevitable, seeing as how water shuriken, despite it's increased priority, does pitiful damage itself.

3DS FC for X and Y: 2766 8490 0653
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM
HurricaneJorge

Greninja is cool, but I imagine it will see a ban or restriction of some sort before next gen. Protean is a fantastic ability; but on Greninja it creates a niche that's hard to compete with. He is squishy; but with very good Special Attack and higher speed than a large percentage of the pokemon in the meta game, thr adaptability that protean gives is a massive game changer. This seems like an ability that belonged on a pokemon witb mid tier stats in survivabolity and offense across the board and a wide ability selection, to make it a viable damage soaker and a decent option as an adaptable check to missed niches. At current it creates a sweeper that OHKOs most of the metagame.
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I was quite surprised to find how competitive Battle Spot was... well, the rated battles anyways. Whereas the unrated battles are frequently filled with ubers/starters, last I played.

An idea I would have liked: what if there was a Special Ladder that prohibited pokemon that were in the Top 50? Yes, this idea was influenced by the concept of tiers... I wonder whether people would like this idea, or feel like its a sellout.
Old July 26th, 2014, 12:59 AM
KillerTyphlosion
Champion

Nature: Timid
Well I carry jolteon and mega charizard Y in my team and greninja gives me no problem. The one I do have a problem with is talonflame. Mostly of the time I use my focus band lucario and sword dance on the first turn and on the second turn I use extreme speed. No talonflame can survive this but if it is not their last pokémon they mostly switch out and mostly to pokemon with rough skin or something with rocky helmet and then I don't have any counters for talonflame. Talonflame is really overused and I don't really carry rock pokémon in my team. So I am considiring Armaldo because he is my favourite rock type pokémon and my second most favourite bug type.

Old July 26th, 2014, 01:03 AM
For_Whom_The_Bronzong_Tolls
Pokemaniac since '98

Nature: Naive
Or you can search the lower tiers for good, usable pokes who can smash with the best

ex. Malamar, Eelektross, Yanmega, Drapion
“There is nothing else than now. There is neither yesterday, certainly, nor is there any tomorrow. How old must you be before you know that? There is only now, and if now is only two days, then two days is your life and everything in it will be in proportion. This is how you live a life in two days. And if you stop complaining and asking for what you never will get, you will have a good life." -Ernest Hemmingway

IGN: Connor
FC: 2809-7742-3082
Pokemon Riddle of the Week: A creature of darkness, hidden in the invisible moon. It is a treasure to be cherished upon most of fate's allowed encounters with it. Who is that pokemon? (Congrats to mucus on answering last week's riddle)
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:02 PM
jokerslayer

I usually lure it in with my Dragon, then switch into my scizor to bullet punch his ice-beam-type changed-Greninja...

Friend Code: 2509-2236-7563 (IGN: Julian)
Canada Time EDT
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Pendraflare
Megapede in the Shadows
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
I don't really battle competitively, but as some people have said, it's about predicting what Greninja will do and knowing what move to use against it after it changes. But I vaguely recalled that it might be up for suspect testing with Aegislash...
Old July 31st, 2014, 01:11 AM
lemonhihi
S1lv3rRay

Nature: Modest
For me, Nothing is cheap as long as u win

My Trade Review

Take a good look ^__^

Old July 31st, 2014, 05:51 AM
ilias_

Nature: Calm
Well, you shouldn't feel cheap for doing this but if you don't like your team then, what's the point?

Right now, I don't use any Pokemon that's popular in rating battles (Double) (If you go to the Pokemon Global Link page you'll see the 12 most popular Pokemon)... I've won some battles and of course I've lost some. I could use a Mega Kang and a Garchomp but I don't like these Pokemon.

I care about points and I want to become my country's #1 player in rating battles but I don't want to do that using Pokemon I don't like. I think the Rating Battles system could be better. People had 1 battle, lost and still have more points than me.. It annoys me lol

Anyway, don't feel cheap for using Pokemon (and strategies) that are more popular than others. It's not your problem if the other is not ready to face you. Just have fun and use Pokemon you really like so you don't get bored!

Pokémon X
Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Old July 31st, 2014, 07:05 AM
Jarachie
Shocking, isn't it?

Nature: Serious
I disagree with the idea of protean greninja, 1 its to OP, 2: it ruins the fact of it being a water type starter, I really hate that. Plus I don't really care if I win or lose (but if I lose over 9000 times in a row that's when I get angry) I just use the pokemon I like over or under used tier and try to beat up legendaries with em (my glaceon beat up a girantina before, my life is complete!)

Avatar and banner made by Mario. A great thanks to him.
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:39 AM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

Nature: Quirky
I feel your pain and can totally understand why you did it - I've given up on using the Battle Spot as it's filled with Protean Greninjas and prefer to battle with my favourites (even though I never win lol), instead just batting Passers By etc. but more power to you if you've found a way to make it work I have several temptations (Protean Froakies) sitting in my box from Wonder Trade but thus far I've managed to resist lol xD
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Bruce Banner
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
I agree, Protean Greninja is one of the stronger Pokemon in OU now. Besides the megas and a few others, it's at the top! I love its Protean ability, don't feel bad that you're crushing your opponents! They should expect it because Greninja has become so popular.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Polar Spectrum
Bipolar Pegasus & Counter Meta Master
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxapose View Post
Lately, I have had a streak of wins. All I did was just follow the same formula as everyone else. Making a team of some of the cheapest pokemon along with my favorite Pokemon of all time: Arcanine!

My team has:

Gale wings Talonflame
Bullet Punching Mega Scizor
Adaptability Mega Lucario
Prankster Illumise
Life orb Greninja
Focus Sash Tyranitar
Choice Specs Jolteon
Choice Band Dugtrio
Multi Scale/Dragon Dance/Weakness Policy Dragonite

I mean, why the heck would we use any other Pokemon. When these CLEARLY were exclusively meant for combat (Sarcasm). All the other Pokemon were meant to be collected and NEVER used (Sarcasm). God I hate myself for using cheap teams.
wait wait hold up -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxapose View Post
Prankster Illumise
A-are are you saying - that... that prankster Illumise is a top tier common team member in competitive play online now? ;~; :'D

Also point stands that mach punch just wrecks greninja. Or hey, why not klefki it? Specially defensive klefki should be able to ruin proninja with either thunder wave or something like light screen, confides, or other annoyances.
The Prism League is now in open beta! Help us test out how things work in this brand new X/Y + Showdown Pokemon League, and have fun battling other members for gym badges and Elite 4 symbols! Click here to sign up, and see what it's all about.

Paired with Discord (Pair Other Gender)
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Sablrainy

Nature: Relaxed
Greninja is used too often? Talonflame is seen even more!!
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:54 AM
machupichu18
I like Cereal!

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canen View Post
As I said in a previous thread, this seems to be a constant problem with today's generation of trainers. No one is prepared to take the chance on an honourable loss by battling their way, and would much rather depart from their favorite style and win with brute force or "cheap" tactics that just bore the arse off most people and drain the joy from battling altogether.

I'll tell you what, Jux - I would like to battle you sometime. I don't subscribe to any sort of huge tactical play, I just battle the way I enjoy battling and i'm a bit of a purist. If you are interested, PM me. My friend code is at the bottom.

By the way, winning and losing ultimately mean nothing. If you don't enjoy the process, then the result is pointless.

I have to disagree with you there, let's take me for example, umm.... well, let's just say I like making people dark souls rage quit (don't forget handhelds can be thrown through windows)

Machupichu18: What currency is time in?

urrently Looking for: Shiny Skill Link Minchino, if you have one, please PM me I really want one
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Zekrom
The Divine Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Spectrum View Post
wait wait hold up -

A-are are you saying - that... that prankster Illumise is a top tier common team member in competitive play online now? ;~; :'D

Also point stands that mach punch just wrecks greninja. Or hey, why not klefki it? Specially defensive klefki should be able to ruin proninja with either thunder wave or something like light screen, confides, or other annoyances.
I'm pretty sure that almost no one uses Illumise in standard play these days. Most people opt for Klefki, Thundurus, or Sableye as their Prankster.

But I do agree that Klefki wrecks Greninja. Priority Thunder Wave removes one of its 2 greatest assets, its Speed, and Greninja doesn't have much to touch Mr. Jingles with. Not to mention Klefki is generally useful all around.

I've always thought that Greninja is good, but not overpowered. Not at all. It's pretty frail, and while it gets STAB on everything, base 103 Sp.Attack isn't earth-shattering. It's good against enemy sweepers, but bulky attackers handle it fairly well, I think. Yes, it can change it's type so now that Thunderbolt won't be supereffective against it anymore, but neutral attacks still do a number on it.
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Juxapose

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Spectrum View Post
wait wait hold up -

A-are are you saying - that... that prankster Illumise is a top tier common team member in competitive play online now? ;~; :'D.

I never claimed that Illumise was commonly used in competitive play. However, a Prankster Pokémon of any kind is used very competitively. I just happen to choose Illumise as my Prankster of choice.

Sponsored Links