• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Toujours why do you go everywhere Catholic :(

My school never had a GSA because... well, I live in Australia and the idea of schools having 'clubs' is a very American thing, I think. We had sports teams and that was pretty much it lol. Though if we did have one, I think "Labels Are For Cans" is actually a pretty good name. It's a shame people didn't understand what it meant lol.

And I'm sorry guys, I never watched the Muppets as a child so I guess I just don't have the nostalgic connection you guys do haha. It still sounds pretty boring to me :(

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
^
My high school was like that too, although in the States.

Since I live in a small conservative town, it seems like clubs were few and far between, and the ones that did exist were not very active. Also, there were not many different religion, culture, or races that made up the student body. Our school's "diversity" consisted of 2 Buddhists, 4 Blacks, and 2 Asians which deviated from the 850 whites and 855 Christians. I don't know how much that was a factor. Even though clubs are usually promoting activities, interests, causes, among other things that aren't directly related to racial/religious/sexual identity, it just didn't seem like anyone was interested in joining one due to the atmosphere of the school. But rest assured, everyone seemed made sure to support the football and hockey teams since they contribute so much to the community and school...don't mind my satirical tone.

Also, what is childhood without the influence of inspiring women such as Miss Piggy?

Years
Yes. True. Miss Piggy is a gay icon.

Miss-piggy.jpg

Andy, you have to hand in your gay license now. You won't be invited to the secret meetings and you're forbidden from using the secret handshake.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Andy how have you not watched the Muppets!? I have only seen a few episodes but I have still seen some!

And my school also didnt have any clubs or even really any recognition of gay people. In all honesty I only know of 1 person who was lesbian so I doubt my old school could have even formed one. Clubs aren't really an Australian thing I guess.. This also makes me think is it hard for people to come out while still in high school?

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I just watched the new Muppet's Movie, and was not impressed with the fact that it had racial coding. This new group of "moppets" were going to replace the Muppet. The moppets came from poor neighborhoods and there is indication of high crime as gun shots were sounded off in the alley where the brown-skinned Miss Piggy counterpart, Miss "Poo"gy lived. OH, and look at Fozzy's counterpart; he is wearing large gold chains, a wife-beater, and a black hat as if to depict the a "thug-like" appearance. The whole idea was that these "urban" Muppet knock-off were villainous, and thereby making some syllogism between poor and urban blacks with corrupt and villainous criminals.

Be wholesome like "us"...
muppets.jpg

...and don't be ghetto like "them"
tumblr_lve8n6xdDe1qzm4i8o1_400.png

Aside from that gaffe, I just didn't enjoy this movie at all :(
Bring Jim Henson back to life; I don't like the Muppets anymore!

Years
I just watched the new Muppet's Movie, and was not impressed with the fact that it had racial coding. This new group of "moppets" were going to replace the Muppet. The moppets came from poor neighborhoods and there is indication of high crime as gun shots were sounded off in the alley where the brown-skinned Miss Piggy counterpart, Miss "Poo"gy lived. OH, and look at Fozzy's counterpart; he is wearing large gold chains, a wife-beater, and a black hat as if to depict the a "thug-like" appearance. The whole idea was that these "urban" Muppet knock-off were villainous, and thereby making some syllogism between poor and urban blacks with corrupt and villainous criminals.

Be wholesome like "us"...
muppets.jpg

...and don't be ghetto like "them"
tumblr_lve8n6xdDe1qzm4i8o1_400.png

Aside from that gaffe, I just didn't enjoy this movie at all :(
Bring Jim Henson back to life; I don't like the Muppets anymore!
But the Moopet Rowlf is meant to be some kind of biker like a Hell's Angel or something, which makes him a white stereotype. And Moopet Kermit is lighter than the real Kermit. I don't think they are overall "ghetto." They're just meant to represent a bunch of cynical versions of Muppets who don't live in Happy Rainbow Muppet Land.

BUT ANYWAY

I was talking with some friends last night and one of them brought up this story about a kid from my old town who was gay and killed himself several years back. He apparently had gone to his priest, parents, and other people to try to talk to them about it, but everyone he went to gave him some version of "it's wrong to be gay." I'd never heard of this. I mean, I knew there had been a kid who died while I was in school, but nothing about this was ever mentioned in anything that I heard and now I'm angry and sad, but mostly sad.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
But the Moopet Rowlf is meant to be some kind of biker like a Hell's Angel or something, which makes him a white stereotype. And Moopet Kermit is lighter than the real Kermit. I don't think they are overall "ghetto." They're just meant to represent a bunch of cynical versions of Muppets who don't live in Happy Rainbow Muppet Land.

BUT ANYWAY

I was talking with some friends last night and one of them brought up this story about a kid from my old town who was gay and killed himself several years back. He apparently had gone to his priest, parents, and other people to try to talk to them about it, but everyone he went to gave him some version of "it's wrong to be gay." I'd never heard of this. I mean, I knew there had been a kid who died while I was in school, but nothing about this was ever mentioned in anything that I heard and now I'm angry and sad, but mostly sad.

Haha, stop trying to rain-on my Muppet conspiracy theories! I still think there is at least a poverty and gang-related aspect to the portrayal. Although not explicitly alluding to black people, there could be some implicit undertones.

On another note, it is quite frustrating and upsetting to see how kids especially are not only affected by bullying of peers, but the condemnation of their parents, family, and pastors/priests/ministers. I'd like to see more churches either be more accepting, or at least have the decency to not interject their hateful and ignorant remarks/advice. Also, churches should be able to work with parents to help them with the issue in a way that actually helps the child.

Ugh, and the Pope sure ain't helping either with his inflammatory remarks.

Altix

Son of a Snivy and a Zoroark
Years
My principal talked to me in 8th period today and said "Hey, I got your E-mail, and was busy. But sometime we can talk about what you thinking." So thats a good sign I think!

Oh, and I personally loved the Muppet movie.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Toujours why do you go everywhere Catholic :(

It just turned out this way! Catholic high school is far superior to my public high school, and I wanted to go to Columbia but waitlisting happened so ND instead. :(

Shining Raichu

Years
I love how I forgot to check this thread for a few days and it became a discussion about The Muppets lmfao. If it helps get me back into the secret meetings, I did watch Miss Piggy's interview on Chelsea Lately when she was around promoting the new Muppet movie!

Scarf said:

I'd be more angry than sad. It actually never occurred to me to talk about this here, but a month or so back I went to the movies by myself to see Bully, because Ellen DeGeneres said everybody needs to see it and who am I to question Ellen? So I went and it turns out she was right as always - everybody does need to go see that movie. One of the stories it follows are the parents of a kid who killed himself because he was bullied for being gay... and I got the impression that it was just weeks after he killed himself that they started filming. The parents took you inside what was his bedroom and show you the closet where they found him hanging. It was not an easy movie to watch (I was bawling the entire time), but there were some uplifting moments and it's really important that it be seen by as many people as possible.

ANYWAY the reason I bring that up now is that is that it reminded me of one of the stories about a lesbian girl who came out of the closet in a small Southern town (can't remember which, probably in Alabama) and was of course bullied for it and made several suicide attempts. Luckily she was unsuccessful, but all of the stories in that movie had me coming out thinking that I don't know how these people can live with themselves. If I had ever said so much as one unkind word to a person and then found out that they'd taken their own life... and I thought that I had contributed to that in any way, I would never ever be able to forgive myself. So then I think about the parents and the minister whose job it is to guide young people and put their best interests over their own agenda and how they all contributed to that guy's death. That makes me angry more than anything else.

Altix said:
My principal talked to me in 8th period today and said "Hey, I got your E-mail, and was busy. But sometime we can talk about what you thinking." So thats a good sign I think!

Yay keep us posted!

Toujours said:
It just turned out this way! Catholic high school is far superior to my public high school, and I wanted to go to Columbia but waitlisting happened so ND instead. :(

It still blows my mind that Catholic universities are something that exist lol. I knew of high schools but never until I met you had I heard about a university.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Altix, that's great, I think that we assume that people will react a certain way or feel as certain way about gay people, but you never really know for sure.

Look at Laura Bush! She is a big-time gay marriage & gay rights advocate; even I unfairly assumed she was some right-wing neo-con bigot like her hubby.

Anyway hope that goes well.

Also, to Andy, I feel sad for the kid, and like you, contempt for the parents and minister, but I guess looking past the anger, there is a reason why the parents and ministers acted the way that they did in the situation. Maybe some parents of gay children should watch it, to give the preemptive effect on their reckless actions, like the movies in driver's education classes with the videos of horrendous car wrecks and deaths that are meant to deter us from driving unsafely. The problem with the parents that usually have the most adverse and damaging response to their child's sexuality is that they happen to receive guidance from their church leaders first rather than LGBT groups. That is why I really think that at the very least, states should require children to take a social diversity course, similar to most university requirements, that teach the psychological affects of our interactions with people who differ by sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, socioeconomic status, religion, age, disability, and gender, just to name a few. This would produce more tolerant people in high school, as well as people beyond high school as parents and religious leaders. Also, there should be more stringent policies about bullying in schools. I would see kids teased/beat-up in gym all the time. I complained several times about other students being picked-on, and the gym teacher/school didn't make any changes. I was bullied for the first two weeks of gym class, until I finally just beat the hell out of this guy, then he didn't want to mess with me :) Basically, the policy in place at my school implicitly encouraged violence as a method of dealing with bullying, which is completely absurd.

droomph

weeb
Years
My dad just said, "You can't talk about homosexuality if you're autistic because you don't understand sex."

I'm thinking, sure I don't understand romance, but I sure as damn well know what equality and liberty and the right to needs is.

Altix

Years
Droomph: Are you autistic? I would have punched your dad.

Shining(the grammar Nazi you):I was at the laundry mat the other day and there were some old arcade games. One had a manual for the buttons. It said "Push green for light attack, blue for medium attack, and red for storong attack. I shed a tear, took a picture, and moved on.

Today I came out for the first time at my new school to my friend Leila.

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
What is this—I don't even... That sounds so... stupid, judgmental, silly, uneducated... stop me anytime...

Please, keep going, words are not enough to describe the rage that his father's comment gave to me >.<

Today I came out for the first time at my new school to my friend Leila.

Wow, really, tell us what happened :D *get too close to Altix*
I remember the first time I came out to someone, it was to my friend Leslie, and upon telling her, she was like 'So?' and I was like 'Jeez, it looks so more emotional on TV!' xD

Altix

Years
Well, this was not my first time coming out ever, just the first time in my new school. It was pretty calm. She was like "Omg no. Really?" and I was like "yep" then the conversation switched to something else. My first time ever was over text. Two friends at once, Tyler, and Alyssa. I am pretty much all out though. Most people know I think, and no one really cares. Oh, today I became like...the leader of my homeroom. So that is cool. It will give me a chance to talk to my principal more, and hopefully get a brand-new, sparkly GSA installed.

SchwarzRozen

Sugary Delight
Years
Well I had GSA today, I was never closeted, and I had tried to open myself out in the past before, however no one took me seriously. When the members new and old alike gave out their introductions to the club, I gave out mine and said "I'm Pan and Genderqueer" and boy I got quite an applause before I had to leave the club early. I was very happy and maybe some of my friends in the GSA who kind of push me to the side with some stuff I've been wanting to do will actually open up and let me play in the games <3

Also, I've been browsing the fourms , getting all excited for BW2, I'm excited <3 I may or may not post more within the next few weeks.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Hey, I was thinking about something the other today after I saw a couple of gay blogger/advocacy sites that were speaking out on behalf on a bisexual girl, 15, who wore a shirt that said, " I enjoy vagina" in the format of Coke products. The school asked her to change her clothes, because the shirt was inappropriate and not conducive wit a learning environment. The sites and the girl both state that the school had discriminated against her since she was a sexual minority. As if the school would have allowed her to wear a " I love penis shirt" instead though. Also, colleges have been reported being under fire for using the term "freshman" and "semester" since they are sexist terms that project masculinity. Those are just two of MANY examples in which I think that have undermined real issues of gender and sexuality in the media.

Do some of these frivolous causes that people stand-up and advocate for marginalize the actually issues that face LGBT-people?

Shining Raichu

Years
Altix said:
Shining(the grammar Nazi you):I was at the laundry mat the other day and there were some old arcade games. One had a manual for the buttons. It said "Push green for light attack, blue for medium attack, and red for storong attack. I shed a tear, took a picture, and moved on.

By 'Shining' did you mean me? I looked back at the thread and I can't for the life of me figure out what this was in reference to. And since when have you seen me be a grammar Nazi? I mean, I am, but I can't think of any examples you would have seen :P

SchwarzRozen said:
Well I had GSA today, I was never closeted, and I had tried to open myself out in the past before, however no one took me seriously. When the members new and old alike gave out their introductions to the club, I gave out mine and said "I'm Pan and Genderqueer" and boy I got quite an applause before I had to leave the club early. I was very happy and maybe some of my friends in the GSA who kind of push me to the side with some stuff I've been wanting to do will actually open up and let me play in the games <3

That's awesome! Though I have to wonder, what kind of stuff are they pushing you aside on?

-ty- said:
Do some of these frivolous causes that people stand-up and advocate for marginalize the actually issues that face LGBT-people?

Yes, absolutely. Your last example reminded me of that line in Legally Blonde where the lesbian girl was talking to Warner about how she was trying to get the word "semester" changed to "ovester" lmao. While I actually support the girl's right to wear the shirt (being one that really hates the idea of things being "appropriate" and "inappropriate"), it's quite clear that the reason it was disallowed had nothing to do with her sexuality and the battle was without merit.

I think if people start kicking up at anything that could ever potentially even for a second be seen as anti-LGBT, then it will label the entire community as whiners and detract from our credibility when it comes to the issues that are actually worth fighting for.

Back