• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magnius Guide to Pokemon Music Hacking

Arctic Eagle

Lone Bird
Years
When I try to run Sappy, I always get a window that says

"Run-time error '339' component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid",

so I can't even open Sappy.

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit:
I would like it if someone would answer my question.

Edit#2:
Does anybody read this thread anymore because I've been waiting for an answer to my question for over a week now and I am getting impatient.

Edit#3:
It seems like I'm not going to be getting an answer anytime soon so I'll wait and see if anyone will freaking answer for crying out loud!!!! I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one, so can ANYONE just tell me what I'm doing wrong upon opening Sappy!?!? To put it simply, what does this error mean and how can I fix it? Oh, and I tried the link above and it downloaded but it still showed the same error, oh, and I'm also running the program from a sandisk flash drive, so if that is the problem I would like to know how to make it portable from a flash drive. Sorry if I came off as rude but I get impatient and I tend to get overexcited.

Edit#4:
I didn't realize this but I accidentally added 2 links in my last edit, sorry...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2021
How do you change the tempo of a song in Sappy permanently? I'm trying to slow down a song from 120 bpm to 60 bpm, but the changes only occur while I'm playing the song.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
When I try to run Sappy, I always get a window that says

"Run-time error '339' component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid",

so I can't even open Sappy.

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit:
I would like it if someone would answer my question.

Edit#2:
Does anybody read this thread anymore because I've been waiting for an answer to my question for over a week now and I am getting impatient.

Edit#3:
It seems like I'm not going to be getting an answer anytime soon so I'll wait and see if anyone will freaking answer for crying out loud!!!! I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one, so can ANYONE just tell me what I'm doing wrong upon opening Sappy!?!? To put it simply, what does this error mean and how can I fix it? Oh, and I tried the link above and it downloaded but it still showed the same error, oh, and I'm also running the program from a sandisk flash drive, so if that is the problem I would like to know how to make it portable from a flash drive. Sorry if I came off as rude but I get impatient and I tend to get overexcited.

Edit#4:
I didn't realize this but I accidentally added 2 links in my last edit, sorry...

Dude, calm down... If it asks for a file, google it and download it. Put it on the Sappy folder. If another error pops up asking for another file, download that one too. I had to download about 3. Usually that stuff happens in Win7 64bit. I only downloaded the files Sappy asked for, but you can try download the whole Visual Basic Runtime, just google it.
If you're still having problems with Sappy, google for Sappy 2006 mod 17.1. Works like a charm.
"I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one" - You're not going to get all the answers to the questions you ask all the time (in life in general). Work on your patience my friend... learn to tolerate mistery and uncertainty :)

How do you change the tempo of a song in Sappy permanently? I'm trying to slow down a song from 120 bpm to 60 bpm, but the changes only occur while I'm playing the song.

The way I'd do it: Rip the MIDI, edit the tempo, reloop it and insert it again. Trying to change the tempo in hex or anything of the likes would be a pain in the butt and really messy. Changing the tempo in Sappy does nothing, only slows the song down for replay.

Arctic Eagle

Lone Bird
Years
Dude, calm down... If it asks for a file, google it and download it. Put it on the Sappy folder. If another error pops up asking for another file, download that one too. I had to download about 3. Usually that stuff happens in Win7 64bit. I only downloaded the files Sappy asked for, but you can try download the whole Visual Basic Runtime, just google it.
If you're still having problems with Sappy, google for Sappy 2006 mod 17.1. Works like a charm.
"I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one" - You're not going to get all the answers to the questions you ask all the time (in life in general). Work on your patience my friend... learn to tolerate mistery and uncertainty :)

I know that I need to, but I'd been waiting for an answer for a long time and this is the first time in 2 months since I've been on here but I am only 16 years old, so it might come off as rude. I'm just glad I finally got an answer and I'm going to try that now, thank you.

Edit:
I got the same error again and so I then went into the compatiblity settings and made it where it should work in win7 through xp compatibility settings and it still showed the same error again(of course it did). Might there be something else wrong because I did almost exactly what you said I should do and it didn't really work out for me so I may need to move the missing file to the hard drive of one the computers I'm using or just wait until later to worry about the music, I've only been rom hacking since March or April...

Edit #2:
Well, I got it to work, but it crashed when I tried to insert a .s sound file, so I decided to delete the program because I can't figure out what the hell I'm trying to do, and stick to what I am best at, Map and Tile hacking, at least until I can find someone to help me with this that I actually know so that the hack will get finished quicker,(and easier) so I can hack other games.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
I'm trying to change the battle music for the rival in emerald, I'm using sappy but the songtable isn't there altough the songs are, what number in SAPPY is the rival battle in emerald?

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
Which language do you use? The song order should be the same although the offsets of the songtable differ. The US version fon Emerald should be in the list though. If you want to I can sent you my sappy.xml with correct offsets.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 26, 2014
Hi there! I don´t know what to do if i have windows xp and how do i make it to wild battle theme?

Arctic Eagle

Lone Bird
Years
Hi there! I don´t know what to do if i have windows xp and how do i make it to wild battle theme?

Wow, this is my first post in a while. I know that this may be off topic, but I happen to be very good at nds music hacking, and I might be able to help with that if you like. :)

Hunter43

Newbiest Noob
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
I have a problem when I play the game.I try to replace the introduction music but it ends up being very high pitched.I need help

Deathkiller90

The guy over there...
Years
The looping thread link is broken... Infact... Its the same thing as the one before that... so my Lost woods theme thats gonna play in Viridian Forest just ends.

Is there a way you convert a MP3 FIle to a MIDI? please respond anyone.
No, MP3 and MIDIs are 2 completely different audio types... You see, Midis use channels for each instrument. MP3s use Audio waves for all the instruments.

Last edited by a moderator:

FRAGbait

Dark Type Collector
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 14, 2015
When i run Sappy i get this error message that says something like this : runtime error '339' vbalCbEx^.ocx
i have installed the original sappy2006 and replaced the exe with the modded version.
I'm not quite sure how to fix this error and was wondering if anyone could help

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 1, 2015
I've managed to get Sappy running, but whenever I open a ROM, I get this message:
"The game you loaded (gamecode: WXYZ) is not known. Would you like to scan for a song table now?"

What's odd is that I get this with every ROM I try, including games I KNOW Sappy supports.

When I clicked "Yes" for one of the ROMs I got this: "Couldn't find song table. This game probably doesn't use M4A at all, or at least a different version."
The ROM I attempted to open here was MOTHER 3, a game I am positive utilizes the Sappy sound engine.

So then I tried FireRed, and when I clicked "Yes" to searching for a song table, it eventually said it found one. However, I quickly found that it didn't really load anything; The only track is "Main". When played, it plays a few notes and fades out.

Can anyone advise me on what to do at this point?

(I would have posted images of the errors, but this site won't let me post links until I've made 15 posts.)

Ari3s

Hack Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Hi, can someone loop this song for me? I've been trying for the past day and I can't wrap my head around it. I was on a thread that attempted to explain how to do it but I for the life of me couldn't understand it. It's the Champion Cynthia battle theme from D/P/Pt. In the spoiler is the text from the .s file.

EDIT: I decided to include the link to the actual .s file since the text wasn't inserted properly. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Btu_jDBnIKN3NUSkVIVXg3c3c/view?usp=sharing

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Hey Guys.
Since this thread wasn't closed yet i'll take that as we can still post here, which is good because i have a big problem :c
Whenever i click the "Cook It!" button, this error appears:
rCGNw3k.png

Does someone knows how to fix it? :c

EDIT:
I can't be this idiot..
If someone have this problem: Rename the .mid file to something simple, only letters and numbers if possible.
Then delete the .s file and pass the renamed .mid through mid2agb again and that's it.. geez..

Last edited:
Years
Hey Guys.
Since this thread wasn't closed yet i'll take that as we can still post here, which is good because i have a big problem :c
Whenever i click the "Cook It!" button, this error appears:
rCGNw3k.png

Does someone knows how to fix it? :c

EDIT:
I can't be this idiot..
If someone have this problem: Rename the .mid file to something simple, only letters and numbers if possible.
Then delete the .s file and pass the renamed .mid through mid2agb again and that's it.. geez..

Yeah, you can't use filenames with spaces in them.

Years
Yo Magnius (I hoped for Magnus but it seems someone else may be using it lol) anyway nice to meet you and i want to ask are the ds music themes hackable? For example if i want a theme from a ds pokemon version to transfer it to another rom of ds pokemon is it possible? Thanks in advance.

Back