• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN COMPLETED! -5/20/14

If you are looking for Generation VI sprites, then please go here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314422

When hacks use D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W sprites, often times they have to be resized to 64x64 to fit, but the hacker rarely actually cleans them up (especially backsprites). So I've taken it upon myself to make sprite sheets for all 649 Pokémon, compatible with Wichu's sprite editor.

I've analyzed the sprite sizes of the Ruby/Sapphire sprites and have come to the conclusion that they're all either 40x40, 48x48, 56x56, and 64x64 (even though, technically, they're all 64x64), give or take a row/column of pixels. I figured this out using the sprite cropping function in Game Maker 7. I'm guessing this was because in Generation II, all sprites were either 40x40, 48x48, or 56x56, so they decided to have these imaginary boundaries in the Ruby/Sapphire sprites in order to make Pokemon relative in size to each other. This means that most small Pokemon will be exactly the same size as they are in Gen IV & V. Most Gen IV & V sprites that fit into 40x40 will be exactly the same.

Generation I: COMPLETED
Spoiler:

Generation II: COMPLETED
Spoiler:

Generation III: COMPLETED
Spoiler:

Generation IV: COMPLETED
Spoiler:

Generation V: COMPLETED
Spoiler:

Extra:
Spoiler:

Here is a montage of the sprites that are completed:
Front:
Generation I
Generation II
Generation III
Generation IV
Generation V

Back:
Generation I
Generation II
Generation III
Generation IV
Generation V

Additional information for those who care, this might answer some of your questions if you have any:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

YOU ARE FREE TO USE THESE SPRITES IN YOUR OWN HACK. idk why, but so many people have been asking "can I use these sprites in my hack?" Of course you can! I mean, seriously, what would be the point of me posting these sprites if I was the only person to use them? So yes, you may use these sprites, and you simply give credits to "The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource".

Attachments

• The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 14,617
Last edited:

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Slightly off-topic premise:
I simply ignore bad hacks made by someone that didn't put enough effort in it (although, if the only flaw is rough graphics, then I don't care, supposing that the important aspects of the game are done well, i.e. gameplay and, above all, enjoyableness; and, before anyone tries to point out that bad graphics prevent the game from being enjoyable, I have to say that I completely disagree with it). Why should one worry about a hack any more than the creator?

Once said this, I don't find that a "custom resized sprites" resource is necessary. Obviously, if you or someone else wants to do it, go for it; but considering that even you can't find enough motivation to complete the task that you think is so important (which, as I said, I disagree with), I don't know who should.
No offence intended, of course.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Okay, well, I guess I'm just going to have this thread become my sprite resource for GBA games then. You see, at first when I posted the "493 GBA Project" thread in the pixel art section, I just randomly resized each one until they looked relative to their Gen III sprite size. Then I restarted the whole thing and decided that every single sprite should be resized with the same ratio, which ended up looking like this, and the problem here is that some Pokemon now just look too damn small.

So I noticed when I briefly hacked Gold that Pokemon sprites in the 1st and 2nd Gen games are either 40x40, 48x48, and 56x56. Using Game Maker, I imported all the sprites from Ruby and Sapphire and cropped them to 40x40, and I was surprised at how many small Pokemon fit perfectly into 40x40, then 48x48, then 56x56, then 64x64. I have come to the conclusion that when they made the Ruby/Sapphire sprites, while they're all technically 64x64, they kept the 40x40/48x48/56x56 sprite limit from R/G/B/Y/G/S/C in order to help make Pokemon more in relative size with each other.

So I've decided to do all sprites for either 493 or 649 Pokemon, and I'm making it so that small Pokemon are roughly 40x40, medium Pokemon are roughly 48x48 or 56x56, and huge Pokemon are 64x64. Just like the Ruby/Sapphire sprites (my limit isn't strict, though, say if a small Pokemon happens to be 40x41, then I'll just let it slide). This means that lots of tiny Pokemon like Pichu and Togepi don't have to be resized at all, medium Pokemon like Ivysaur and Charmeleon only have to be resized a little bit. Also I choose the color palette that looks most like the Sugimori art, and if neither the D/P or Pt or HG/SS or B/W palette looks anything like the Sugimori art, then I give it a custom palette, like what I'm doing to Bulbasaur and Golem. And certain details present in the Sugimori art that aren't in the sprites will be added, such as Squirtle having purple eyes.

001sf.png

Since Bulbasaur fit into 40x40, it is essentially unchanged from B/W. (All backsprites will be from HG/SS resized with the same ratio, 80%)

002hb.png

Even though B/W Ivysaur fit into 64x64, it looked ridiculously huge, so I shrunk it down to a little over 48x48.

003bo.png

And of course B/W Venusaur here is going to be 64x64.

004xv.png

005od.png

007qy.png

What do you guys think? Do these look sexy good? Personally, I think it's worth doing. This is going to be my thread for the ultimate GBA sprite resource then, and I think this is a good place since no one in the Pixel Art section had any idea what it was about. I'll edit the first post soon to show current progress.

EDIT: Also, once I'm done with all these, I'll also make a second sprite set which is identical but uses strictly palettes from B/W just in case someone doesn't like my palettes.

EDIT: Quick test with Wichu's sprite editor:
14190312.png
82927962.png
61582507.png

Honestly, I think it looks awesome, and I would rather see this than badly distorted back sprites and such.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
The representation of Pokémon scale has improved with each new generation of sprite design. The bigger Pokémon have gotten larger and the smaller ones have stayed around the same size. This will obviously make the small Pokémon the easiest to modify.

I'm all for this - Generation III is my least favourite sprite style, filled with badly drawn sprites, too much shading and a noticeable style shift between R/S and FR/LG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
I find this is true. I have seen people trying to resize sprites with terrible results (including myself). I would love to see all sprites resized. I have seen your sprites you gave to Jambo and thought they were excellent (although I would prefer full body back sprites). I think it would be nice if we could also use a hack to help with your resizing. By this, I mean hacking the game to although larger sprites to be included into the hack such as 80x80 or so.. Here are some fake pictures for reference:

Slightly Resized D/P Sprite:
picture.php

D/P Normal Sprite:
picture.php

Slightly Resized B/W Sprite:
picture.php

B/W Normal Sprite:
picture.php

If we would be able to accomplish this it would make your job a heck of a lot easier. It may be impossible or close to it but until that time you keep up the work of your awesome sprites.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Well, I've updated the first post. May I request for this topic to be renamed to, "Chaos Rush's DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource"?

Also, here is a montage of my current progress:
Frame 1
Frame 2
Back Sprites

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I find this is true. I have seen people trying to resize sprites with terrible results (including myself). I would love to see all sprites resized. I have seen your sprites you gave to Jambo and thought they were excellent (although I would prefer full body back sprites). I think it would be nice if we could also use a hack to help with your resizing. By this, I mean hacking the game to although larger sprites to be included into the hack such as 80x80 or so..

64 x 64 sprites are a limitation of the Game Boy Advance itself. The only way to display a larger graphic on-screen is by making it into a tilemap image or by splitting the graphics into multiple smaller sprites, which opens a whole barrel of complications.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
The representation of Pokémon scale has improved with each new generation of sprite design. The bigger Pokémon have gotten larger and the smaller ones have stayed around the same size. This will obviously make the small Pokémon the easiest to modify.
Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but that gave me an idea.

Are Pokémon really improving in relative size to each other as each Generation goes on? No lol, take a look at this:
pokemonsize.png

Let's say you're Red is now 6 feet tall (I'm 5'9 in real life, so I just round up to 6 feet). I'm 55 pixels tall. 55 pixels = 6 feet. 55/6 = 9.16666~. Lets round down, so let's say 1 foot is 9 pixels (it would actually be a teeny bit more, but who cares).

This is really how big the Pokémon are in relative size to each other. I looked at their heights on Bulbapedia and calculated how many pixels tall they should be, if 9 pixels = 1 foot, Red being about 6 feet. Now, Dragonair and Serperior are debatable, since it probably meant that Dragonair is 13 feet long, rather than it being 13 feet tall in a normal resting position, but it's funny if it meant they're actually that huge in a normal resting position. BUT, Infernape is really that tiny compared to Feraligatr. Infernape is 3'03, while Feraligatr is 7'07. Talk about serious ROFLMAO for Infernape.

A bit off-topic, but still interesting nonetheless.

EDIT: Here's some more Pokemon size comparisons:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3126/pokemonsize.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I didn't say they were accurate, I said they were more accurate than before. Many of the heights are over the top and nobody would draw sprites to exact scale. Even the 3D games don't have such a size difference between Feraligatr and Infernape.

Anyway, what's going to happen when Generation V backsprites come along? And, personal opinion and all, but I'd think that people want good 64* sprites for Generation IV and V Pokémon before nicer sprites for the old ones.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Anyway, what's going to happen when Generation V backsprites come along? And, personal opinion and all, but I'd think that people want good 64* sprites for Generation IV and V Pokémon before nicer sprites for the old ones.
Generation V Pokemon will have custom/edited backsprites. I know I'm decent enough of a sprites to do this.

Also I'm considering the idea of doing random Pokemon from each Generation rather than doing all the sprites in one Generation, so I may start working on Gen IV. Also, I won't be working on Gen V until the first four gens are complete. Gen V is just not a priority for me because I don't plan on using Gen V Pokemon in my hack.

EDIT:
Turtwig and Grotle.
440z.png

441v.png

EDIT: And testing it on my Ruby patch:
39245227.png
38881409.png
55451574.png

44291933.png
66356726.png

Hopefully a mod sees this: May I request for this topic to be renamed to, "Chaos Rush's DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource"?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
I have a whole bunch of resized back sprites for gen 4. I'm actually almost done with the whole generation.
Spoiler:

Not all of them were made by me (most were), though I'm the only person who has an account here (I think). The others are Miyuki, Ingrid, and Icy over at the Nuzlocke forums. These all use the palette from Black and White, though changing them to use Sugimoriesque palettes wouldn't be too hard. I have a sheet with shinies if you want that as well.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I have a whole bunch of resized back sprites for gen 4. I'm actually almost done with the whole generation.
Spoiler:

Not all of them were made by me (most were), though I'm the only person who has an account here (I think). The others are Miyuki, Ingrid, and Icy over at the Nuzlocke forums. These all use the palette from Black and White, though changing them to use Sugimoriesque palettes wouldn't be too hard. I have a sheet with shinies if you want that as well.
WOAH WOAH WOAH WHAT THE

Were these all resized with the same scale factor? omg....These will definitely be of use.

EDIT: Yep, I just checked, these are definitely all perfectly resized to 80%, I am definitely using these, and those people will be credited. You should tell your buddies at that forum to help with this project

EDIT: Well it looks like some of them are from D/P and some are from Pt/HG/SS (yes, they actually changed the backsprites), so I'm going to be using most of these then.

EDIT: 100 Mega Shock, this is how Gen V Pokemon will be handled:
snivyf.png

zekrom.png

Quick test with Wichu's editor:
41506277.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
I didn't know that they bothered changing the back sprites for Plat and HG/SS. Which ones were updated? Also, just an opinion thing here, but I would personally focus on sprites that don't exist yet. Sure, the Gen 3 fronts and backs don't look great, and they look out of place when Gen 4 or 5 Pokemon are used. But there aren't back sprites for Gen 5 Pokemon that are really usable considering the change to fully body backs. That's part of the reason that I decided to only resize the front sprites when absolutely necessary for my project, simply because I wanted to minimize the workload for myself. After we have usable sprites for the new Pokemon, then we can go back and work on the old ones to maintain a consistent style.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I didn't know that they bothered changing the back sprites for Plat and HG/SS. Which ones were updated? Also, just an opinion thing here, but I would personally focus on sprites that don't exist yet. Sure, the Gen 3 fronts and backs don't look great, and they look out of place when Gen 4 or 5 Pokemon are used. But there aren't back sprites for Gen 5 Pokemon that are really usable considering the change to fully body backs. That's part of the reason that I decided to only resize the front sprites when absolutely necessary for my project, simply because I wanted to minimize the workload for myself. After we have usable sprites for the new Pokemon, then we can go back and work on the old ones to maintain a consistent style.

Here are all the Gen IV Pokemon that have a different backsprite in Platinum:
Spoiler:

Some of these are shading improvements, like Toxicroak, while others fix incorrect anatomy, like Palkia's mouth and Luxray's ears. And yes, I've changed my priority to Gen IV.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I got some you can use as well.
Spoiler:
Um no, the bigger ones are pretty sloppy looking, and some of the smaller ones are too big. I have strict guidelines for my sprites, so that's why I said in the first post that if you're interested in helping you should PM me, since I have rules for these sprites for the sake of consistency.

EDIT: Monferno
442c.png

444jj.png

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2012
I might be able do a couple (I'm working on Hippowdon right now) but no guarantees on second frames.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Infernape, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Starly, and Staravia complete:
450i.png

montage

I might be able do a couple (I'm working on Hippowdon right now) but no guarantees on second frames.
Please don't. I've mentioned more than once that if you're interested in helping, then PM me, as I have very strict and specific guidelines on how the sprite sizes are determined. And I need 2 frames resized with the same scale factor for both frames anyway, so doing 1 frame would be stupid because then you're leaving me to figure out what scale factor you used.

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2012
In that case, never mind. I can show you them if you want them (they're the Platinum front and BW back resized in Paint to 64xsomething) but if not oh well.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Too busy during the week, but I got 4 Pokemon done today, up to Kricketot:
454vu.png

EDIT: I've decided that I'm going to be basing my future hacks on Ruby, so I'll only need 1 frame, therefore, I'm removing frame 2. Also this cuts off the work load by a considerable amount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back