• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
Years
The 65th episode of SKET Dance came out Thursday, if anyone watches that. It's almost time for me to start Mirai Nikki, and then I'll finally watch Ao no Exorcist. I've read a lot of the manga though, so.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm not sure if they wanted us to believe she was some kind of science genius or just merely competent. She was always otherwise fawning over Peter or worried about him and that got disappointing after a while.

I did like the villain being sympathetic, especially at the end when he's shown to still be a good guy under all that CG. I half expected to see Samuel L. Jackson to pop up after the credits though. Sad he didn't.[/spoiler]
He couldn't be in the credits. That side of the Marvel movies is owned by Disney and Spidey doesn't come under the Disney banner until Sony goes inactive with the franchise (that's why Spider-Man was absent from The Avengers)

Anyway, yeah we were supposed to believe Gwen was smart. They said that Connors gave her a recommendation for university. They also said that she is top of her class, with Peter being second. And she does tutoring. It didn't really come for nowhere.

Anyway, I surprisingly enjoyed this movie. I expected to hate it. I did not. It was great. So much better than The Avengers. I would say better than the original Spider-Man, but not as good as Spider-Man 2.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
So, I finally ended up seeing it and sorta liked it! It was certainly better than the original Spider-Man, which I hated so much upon a first watch that I refused to give its sequels the light of day. Indeed, Andrew Garfield >>>>>>> Tobey Maguire in the Spidey stakes (and Emma Stone >>> Kirsten Dunst, but Emma Stone is normally >>> anything, so there was never going to be a contest). And the 'teenage angst' that's so heavily in the Spidey formula actually felt a lot more real; Peter Parker felt more like a teenager in his gangly awkwardness and in his interactions with Gwen.

But then they had to go it all by doing something stupid like making Rhys Ifans the most boring villain ever. I appreciated the subtlety given to his character in the first act, but as his transformation wore on, it just became more a case of LIZARD SMASH! than anything else. If the film had just been about Peter Parker coming to terms with his new powers, it would have been so much better. It also would have bombed hard, but it would have been a better film, nonetheless! :D

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
TRIFORCE89 said:
So much better than The Avengers.

I haven't even seen Spider Man yet and I know for an absolute fact that that is not possible :P

In other news though, I went to Sydney today and saw something quite exciting! I took a photo of it for you, it increased my excitement tenfold!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Best movie display ever imo.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
No question that I think the latest Spider-man was certainly better than the previous ones. Even if I did have to bear watching it in 3D and sitting next to Mr. Cat Dog here, but it surpassed expectations. Though I'm not sure I'd compare it to Avengers, they were both pretty strong, but for different reasons. Avengers was a lot more action heavy, and Spider-man had so much more storyline and character development aspects to it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I haven't even seen Spider Man yet and I know for an absolute fact that that is not possible :P

In other news though, I went to Sydney today and saw something quite exciting! I took a photo of it for you, it increased my excitement tenfold!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Best movie display ever imo.
That is pretty cool.

But I will not fall for your bribery. XD I did not like Avengers much. A good popcorn flick that I have no intention of watching again. If Downey Jr. was not in that movie, it would have been so boring. He carried it. I did not feel invested in any of the characters or what was going on. I did not care. It was like watching a very expensive episode of Power Rangers.

Years
Anyway, yeah we were supposed to believe Gwen was smart. They said that Connors gave her a recommendation for university. They also said that she is top of her class, with Peter being second. And she does tutoring. It didn't really come for nowhere.
I know all of that was there, but I was thinking more of a show-not-tell kind of thing where they gave me a better idea of what she could do. Like... they don't show her doing anything. They should have made it clearer in the beginning that they went to a "science high school" (whatever that is), etc. etc. but I'm nitpicking because I think her character had lots of potential that didn't get used. I hate that in movies.

Shining Raichu

Years

That is pretty cool.

But I will not fall for your bribery. XD I did not like Avengers much. A good popcorn flick that I have no intention of watching again. If Downey Jr. was not in that movie, it would have been so boring. He carried it. I did not feel invested in any of the characters or what was going on. I did not care. It was like watching a very expensive episode of Power Rangers.

That's fine, I felt invested enough for the both of us, and about twelve other people :P

The characters were the strongest point of the movie. I cared about each and every one of them (even Thor, who I was not expecting to like) and the most rewarding part of it was watching their interactions and the challenging dynamic within the group. Joss Whedon has this gift to make every character real and human, even in such ridiculous circumstances as you'd find in a comic book movie. Black Widow, for instance, was a bit bland as a character in Iron Man 2 because she was basically there to fill in time and do some cool stunts, but in The Avengers she was given a far richer character and held her own among a cast of characters just as strong as hers.

There's no question that Robert Downey Jr. was one of the best parts; but he was always going to be. There was simply no way around it. His character had been established in its own movies to be witty and clever and hilarious and he brought a large chunk of the funny - and yes, the movie would have suffered were he not in it, but that was not due to a lack of anything else interesting going on. He might have carried the majority of the movie's comedy, but I really disagree with the idea that he carried the movie itself. Everybody was given equal chance to shine, which would have been an insanely difficult task to accomplish and I marvel at Joss's ability to do it.

It did serve its purpose as a 'popcorn flick' as you put it (though that term has always seemed belittling of the efforts of moviemakers who put so much time and effort into their creations) just as a comic book adaptation should. But I don't think it's just a popcorn flick, it works on so many other levels and that's why I kept going back to see it again and again.

tl:dr, there's a reason it was so damn popular - and considering it was a movie that starred Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Jeremy Renner and there was not one shirtless scene among them, it certainly wasn't the lowest-common-denominator reasons that a lot of movies become popular these days.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
It did serve its purpose as a 'popcorn flick' as you put it (though that term has always seemed belittling of the efforts of moviemakers who put so much time and effort into their creations) just as a comic book adaptation should. But I don't think it's just a popcorn flick, it works on so many other levels and that's why I kept going back to see it again and again.
Shouldn't be belittling. I meant it's fun and entertaining. The kind of thing you want to see on a massive screen while eating popcorn (although I don't eat it. But, same sentiment).

But, for me. Just once was enough. On any screen.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I saw the new Spider-Man on Friday. I went in in a horrible mood because we were late, the ticket machines weren't working, Coke had spilt in my purse and I had to run off in a hurry to grab napkins to wipe down all my stuff, and then I forgot my Harry Potter 3D glasses so I had to use the theatre ones and they are so big that they actually fit over my glasses and still kept falling off my face unless I kept my head tilted back. But I ended up really liking it. I wasn't expecting much since everyone was saying it was okay but unnecessary so maybe it was partially a case of low expectations hitting a decent movie but I enjoyed it.

I thought Garfield was a much better Spider-Man than Maguire and Stone's character was a much more capable, interesting love interest compared to MJ. I just wish the two had more romantic chemistry. I thought they were fun to watch when they were joking around and making fun of each other, but any time the scene turned to romance or sexual tension or whatever you wanna call it, it just felt so flat. That's super awkward since I'm pretty sure the two actors are dating? :s

I watched the first movie in the Spider-Man trilogy for a decade ago and wow it's horrible. The CG didn't age well, Tobey is horrible awkward and looks stoned the entire time, and the movie itself was pretty cheesy. :s Watching the second one sometime this week, I guess, but skipping the third altogether unless my roommates and I decide to do a drinking game to it.

I didn't like Spider-Man as much as Avengers, though. I probably liked it more than I liked Avengers the first time I saw it (since I hadn't seen any of the lead-in movies) but I saw Avengers again the other week after having a bit of a Marvel spree last month and it was so good. *u* I can't wait for it to come out on DVD now whereas Spider-Man was good but I can't see myself watching it again any time soon.

Shining Raichu

Years
I've always thought of terms like that as a bit belittling. Popcorn flick, chick flick, rom com, tearjerker, shoot-em-up. That sort of thing.

It just seems to me like those brandings are oversimplifications of what a movie is. That most definitely is just me though lol, I've never met anybody else who's had a problem with it.

EDIT: Whoa I got mega-ninja'd haha.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
But I ended up really liking it. I wasn't expecting much since everyone was saying it was okay but unnecessary so maybe it was partially a case of low expectations hitting a decent movie but I enjoyed it.
Basically, same for me

I just wish the two had more romantic chemistry. I thought they were fun to watch when they were joking around and making fun of each other, but any time the scene turned to romance or sexual tension or whatever you wanna call it, it just felt so flat. That's super awkward since I'm pretty sure the two actors are dating? :s
I thought they had great chemistry. Moreso than Parker and MJ in the old movies.

I watched the first movie in the Spider-Man trilogy for a decade ago and wow it's horrible. The CG didn't age well, Tobey is horrible awkward and looks stoned the entire time, and the movie itself was pretty cheesy. :s Watching the second one sometime this week, I guess, but skipping the third altogether unless my roommates and I decide to do a drinking game to it.
The CG was bad back then too XDD It is a bit colourful and campy. But... I think that's the franchise. More comic booky, while Batman is more graphic novelish. This movie went more the realistic look of the later. I like Tobey as Spider-Man and Garifeld as Parker. In the suit delivering quips, Tobey just seemed better and wittier than Garfield. But, that also might be because I played the movie-based games that had Tobey's voice in it. So, I may be remembering a lot more wit and quick comebacks than was actually present in the movie.

What would the drinking game be? Every time he makes a weird face?

I didn't like Spider-Man as much as Avengers, though. I probably liked it more than I liked Avengers the first time I saw it (since I hadn't seen any of the lead-in movies) but I saw Avengers again the other week after having a bit of a Marvel spree last month and it was so good. *u* I can't wait for it to come out on DVD now whereas Spider-Man was good but I can't see myself watching it again any time soon.
I think that's my problem with Avengers. But at the same time, watching Avengers has not compelled me to go watch any of those other movies. I'll be picking up this new Spider-Man when its released though.

Two weeks until The Dark Knight Rises puts all these other super hero movies to shame lol

Cherrim

Years
I thought they had great chemistry. Moreso than Parker and MJ in the old movies.
That's not hard because Parker had no chemistry with anyone in the old movies. At least, not the first one. It was hilarious. There'd be a serious/emotional moment and he wouldn't even be looking at them or he'd have this dopey grin on his face or his response would always just be "oh".
The CG was bad back then too XDD It is a bit colourful and campy. But... I think that's the franchise. More comic booky, while Batman is more graphic novelish. This movie went more the realistic look of the later. I like Tobey as Spider-Man and Garifeld as Parker. In the suit delivering quips, Tobey just seemed better and wittier than Garfield. But, that also might be because I played the movie-based games that had Tobey's voice in it. So, I may be remembering a lot more wit and quick comebacks than was actually present in the movie.
I was thinking about that on the way home from the movie on Friday, actually. Wasn't Spider-Man pretty much the first movie in the whole host of superhero revivals over the last decade? It definitely felt a lot more campy and comic book-y. Like, watching it tonight, I sat there going "how did anyone find this cool??" since the fight scenes were really lame and half the time it really felt like I was watching an 80s movie. I can understand bad CGI--I know it's improved a lot recently--but even the animations they used weren't necessarily bad looking, they just looked silly. Pretty much any time Spider-Man was jumping from building to building, he'd jump crotch-first for some reason which became one of the highlights of our night. Stuff like that just feels SO out of place now after all these gritty, realistic hero movies. I think I just go into them expecting something serious now and that's not what I get with that trilogy since they were still testing the waters with the superhero genre for movies. Unless there were reboots before this that I'm just not thinking of.

Also there was literally no wit in the first movie. o_O Maybe he gets more comfortable with the role in the second one but I'll find out later this week!
What would the drinking game be? Every time he makes a weird face?
No, because we'd be plastered by the end of the opening scene.

Shining Raichu

Years
lmao Livewire, I actually posted that more for you than anything haha.

TRIFORCE89 said:
Two weeks until The Dark Knight Rises puts all these other super hero movies to shame lol

I actually don't think so. It's going to be freaking amazing, but considering the spin Nolan has put on these movies, I don't really count them as in the same sort of genre as the others. I think the style of these new Batman movies is so different that it's not exactly comparable to any of the Marvel movies in terms of better or worse. As you said,

I think that's the franchise. More comic booky, while Batman is more graphic novelish.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yay! I'm not the only person in the world that thinks this! It was getting lonely there for all those years when my friends insisted that Spider-Man was amazeballs.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2024
I've never liked Spiderman so I won't be seeing the reboot, but Erica, PLEASE watch the third movie if only to watch Peter Parker become an emo poser and dance in the ENTIRELY PIVOTAL TO THE PLOT coffee shop. God, that scene still brings a smile to my face years after having watched it.

Cherrim

Years
I've never liked Spiderman so I won't be seeing the reboot, but Erica, PLEASE watch the third movie if only to watch Peter Parker become an emo poser and dance in the ENTIRELY PIVOTAL TO THE PLOT coffee shop. God, that scene still brings a smile to my face years after having watched it.
I... vaguely remember that. I know I saw the third one in theatres but had no desire to ever see it again. (Despite owning it on Blu-Ray because I think it came with my PS3. Needless to say, it is still in the original shrinkwrap.)

Years
Has anyone seen the trailer for the new The Great Gatsby and is anyone else a little skeptical that Tobey was cast in it?

Spoiler:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I... vaguely remember that. I know I saw the third one in theatres but had no desire to ever see it again. (Despite owning it on Blu-Ray because I think it came with my PS3. Needless to say, it is still in the original shrinkwrap.)

Same. Saw it once and I never want to see it again. But you should remember that. I think I went on about how bad it was for like a week XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back