• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I'll agree with that there.

I think I know why though. Fire Red was based off RBY's mapping, and if it suddenly changed into epic RSE mapping, then it would be shifty. Nintendo made Sevii look bad to make it match with the rest of the game.

And I absolutely LOVE how we're able to discuss this without being offtopic!

I don't see why they didn't just update the graphics overall then. :\
We know that they will do it because they updated the routes in HG/SS to make them more mountainous.

I think it's just laziness.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

I don't see why they didn't just update the graphics overall then. :\
We know that they will do it because they updated the routes in HG/SS to make them more mountainous.

I think it's just laziness.

Laziness in one game =/= bad mapping ability.

I win.

So.

Now.

What's the next subject?

My rom hack. nao

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Alright then, we will talk about something else since square maps are boring now.
(And emerald strangely enough has square maps, just look at some of the cave maps like meteor falls with Steven. Just saying.)

I've been talking to colcolstyles about it, so I think this should be a more open discussion. What do you guys think is the most underrated secondary tileset ever? We all know about Mt. Moon and the like, but no one ever talks about tileset 24 in Pokemon FR(which is, strangely enough, the insides of a R/S/E house :\ )

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Alright then, we will talk about something else since square maps are boring now.
(And emerald strangely enough has square maps, just look at some of the cave maps like meteor falls with Steven. Just saying.)

I've been talking to colcolstyles about it, so I think this should be a more open discussion. What do you guys think is the most underrated secondary tileset ever? We all know about Mt. Moon and the like, but no one ever talks about tileset 24 in Pokemon FR(which is, strangely enough, the insides of a R/S/E house :\ )

The inside of Navel rock's tileset is pretty underated. I love the tiles with the nice varied palettes and yet, hardly any hack I've seen uses it in their cave maps.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I've never really seen anybody use the ice cave tileset in RSE. I loved that tileset! :D

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
The inside of Navel rock's tileset is pretty underated. I love the tiles with the nice varied palettes and yet, hardly any hack I've seen uses it in their cave maps.
As much as I liked how it looked, it just didn't have the cave feel. Caves are supposed to be dark and damp, not bright and shiny.

I don't see anybody use the Sky Pillar.I like the Sky Pillar's tileset.

The bad thing is, it also includes Pacifidlog town, so basically two(but I'm fairly sure that birth island is part of that) tilesets aren't used at all. I plan to use pacifidlog by replacing it with cinnabar tiles >w>

I've never really seen anybody use the ice cave tileset in RSE. I loved that tileset! :D

You have a point there. I don't even remember anyone posting a moderately good looking map made from those ice cave tiles.
Just wondering, are you saying the whole tileset or just that part of it?

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I'm talking about the ice part. I forgot that that one had a couple of different cave tiles ~_~

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Underrated second tileset, hmm?

Dunno, really...

Meteor Falls. Nobody ever seems to use it, and it's the best cave tileset ever, I reckon. xP

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Meteor Falls is seriously underrated, however it is hard to map with it if you don't know what you are doing, due to the variety of mountains, tiles, extra features and things like that. Most Ruby hacks I have seen either only have a minor change in these maps or replaced the Meteor Falls tileset (like in Battle Fire, where they used a jungle instead).

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Meteor Falls is seriously underrated, however it is hard to map with it if you don't know what you are doing, due to the variety of mountains, tiles, extra features and things like that. Most Ruby hacks I have seen either only have a minor change in these maps or replaced the Meteor Falls tileset (like in Battle Fire, where they used a jungle instead).

But it is SO AWESOME if you can map in the Meteor Falls style!

Is this proper usage of those tiles?

Yes, I put those tiles into a Moonshine at some point. =D I love Emerald's caves that much.

No, don't worry about the waterfall errors.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
But it is SO AWESOME if you can map in the Meteor Falls style!
Is this proper usage of those tiles?

Yes, I put those tiles into a Moonshine at some point. =D I love Emerald's caves that much.

No, don't worry about the waterfall errors.

Indeed it is (or nearly is, the wall right up North should be the stalactity one, and the mountain face at the bottom connects to the side ones and there is a rock tile error near the top, a rock in a wall), however there are probably many ways they can be used. To get that Meteor Falls feel is... Well, weird. For instance, there is a special tile you must use next to the Water Edge (but whether that is just in Ruby, I don't know), as well as in the actual map, the bit near the bottom of the map (again, in Ruby) uses a Darker default ground than the rest... So many different things, it seems hard to map.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

Indeed it is (or nearly is, the wall right up North should be the stalactity one, and the mountain face at the bottom connects to the side ones and there is a rock tile error near the top, a rock in a wall), however there are probably many ways they can be used. To get that Meteor Falls feel is... Well, weird. For instance, there is a special tile you must use next to the Water Edge (but whether that is just in Ruby, I don't know), as well as in the actual map, the bit near the bottom of the map (again, in Ruby) uses a Darker default ground than the rest... So many different things, it seems hard to map.

I love this tileset, I'm totally using it for the main mountain in my new hack.

Although I guess Meteor Falls isn't suited to large maps...

Eh, I can get around that. =P

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I love this tileset, I'm totally using it for the main mountain in my new hack.

As long as you map it right. It really looks so complicated, so I might just post something about the different tiles (only in the Ruby one, as that is the only ROM I have, bar Firered, and Emerald isn't too different) and what should be used there. hopefully more MF maps could be made.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

As long as you map it right. It really looks so complicated, so I might just post something about the different tiles (only in the Ruby one, as that is the only ROM I have, bar Firered, and Emerald isn't too different) and what should be used there. hopefully more MF maps could be made.

NEVAAAAAAAARRR!!!!!

You must leave the secret technique of MeteorFallMapping in the hands of those who deserve it. >=[ The ones that figure it out themselves. >=[

The tiles can still be used normally, of course, just for a much weaker effect.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
NEVAAAAAAAARRR!!!!!

You must leave the secret technique of MeteorFallMapping in the hands of those who deserve it. >=[ The ones that figure it out themselves. >=[

The tiles can still be used normally, of course, just for a much weaker effect.

I doubt anyone would want to spend ages reading how to make 1 map anyway, so it would be a waste of time... Patience would help a few hackers, so I guess we leave it to them.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Trial and error for me, always the way I went. Learned scripting through observing Game Freak's scripts.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Hmm... Sometimes Trial and Error (especially with expanding a Block Data in Tilesets, as it can create a world of problems, as well as I learnt to Tile Insert with no tutorial), but I mostly read tutorials, as they are helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back